Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Never. No incentive to. They either don't give a gently caress about the game, coded it so poorly that patching is nearly impossible, or both. Probably both.

Twitch viewership has gone from a regular 40k per night to 1k. Game is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Crunch is bad, right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bamhand posted:

Game is dead.

from the very beginning they said it wasn't a live game xD

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just want sone minor tweaks. Just give me WL no time limit expeditions and we can call it done

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

bamhand posted:

Never. No incentive to. They either don't give a gently caress about the game, coded it so poorly that patching is nearly impossible, or both. Probably both.

Twitch viewership has gone from a regular 40k per night to 1k. Game is dead.

The poo poo you guys talk about must have been cool cause I never saw it. Bought the game with a buddy cause we wanted something to coop during days off. We couldn't play it for a couple of weeks due to it being straight broken then they kept breaking other crap and since we only could play a couple of days a week and it never seemed to work when we tried.

We've given up on it at this point, still only in like the third snow mountain area after the spider boss. Only game I've ever genuinely wish I could return in years. I even felt I got my money's worth out of avengers, at least we played that for a few weeks till we did all the content and it was buggy and crashed but it still worked more consistently than this. Cyberpunk too, that's drat near playable now. Don't got high hopes for outriders. Guess it's hood's turn.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

While I definitely feel I got my hours out of it so I’m ultimately fine with buying it, I’ve never done a heel turn so fast as with this game from “this games going to be a problem in terms of invested hours” to “hey remember that game?”

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

from the very beginning they said it wasn't a live game xD

Did they ever try to explain or justify why their not-live game had to be always online?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Most likely answer is that they're poo poo at coding. And that was the easiest/laziest way to they could get the coop to work.

Like the re-roll exploit is an indication of awful code. Having scenarios where it's possible to have a mismatch between the in game data and the saved data is how you get broken saves.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 12, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Did they ever try to explain or justify why their not-live game had to be always online?

My guess is that they original were going to go the games-as-a-service route, then by the time they decided against that it was too late.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the end game is hateful trash and I have never dropped a loot-mans faster... couldn't get through a second post-game expedition.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
We've had some crashes and difficulty joining games if the hosting client was online too long, but have been playing co-op through the whole story and going up a couple expedition tiers each night on Xbox.
It's been a lot more fun since they sped up most of the loading screens after the first big patch.

My main issue is the skill trees needing some more interesting choices, and some clarification/bug fixes on skills that are ambiguous on who is getting the benefit. Longer term, I'd like some more stat variety on gear, but the enemy and map variety isn't too bad at this point. It seems like fairly low effort to add maps and tweak encounters to keep things mixed up, but there's certainly other things worth working on first.

It's buggier than it should be, there's exploitable race conditions with (mostly)easily replaceable gear, and joining/leaving sessions is frustrating about a third of the time, but the core gameplay is enjoyable for us. Fixing skill/ability/loot consistency will make it feel mostly solid, and tweaking stats/maps for balance and variety is easy enough to do whenever.

For contrast, I was really excited about Borderlands 3; but the story sucked, maps and gameplay got old quicker, and the endgame and loot all blended together. I haven't been back to check out much of the dlc yet, but still feel like I'm having more fun with a crashier Outriders.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Floppychop posted:

My guess is that they original were going to go the games-as-a-service route, then by the time they decided against that it was too late.

Or, have the ability to make it a service, by adding microtransactions and drip feeding stupid nonsense.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I need to bitch about this fuckin game for a second.

I really wanted something different to play besides D2 and this game is on gamepass so why not give it a shot?

I started playing yesterday and I was really digging the story at the start and the gun play seems pretty fun!

First off why the gently caress does it take 800 years to log in? I'm on a Series X but it takes like forever to log into their poo poo servers.

Second and probably the most annoying thing of all I figured why not try some MP today? I'm not very far into the game so I assumed (wrongly) that it would match me with people on the same main quest as me. Nope it matched me with some dude playing through the very start of the game. Well fair enough might as well help him out.

So I help him finish his quest and for whatever reason his connection takes a poo poo and it drops me back to the main screen so I have to wait 800 years to log in again. I log in and I noticed that my quest log shows me right back at the start of Rift town. Well that can't be right because I rescued that fucker yesterday and I was on my way to the solar tower!

I check everything and nope it seems like I'm back to the start except one of the side quests I picked up is still in my log and all of the notes that I unlocked are still there as well. I also did some side quest where I kill a captain and it seems as though that is still cleared because the NPCs are talking about him being dead.

Like I know I'm not very far into the game but that first rescue quest was kinda a bitch as a low level technomancer and I really don't feel like doing it again.

I'm half assed debating on just calling it quits because losing progress for no reason that I can think of is a load of bullshit.

Unless there is something I'm totally missing here.

The gun play seems really fun so far and I am enjoying the world building and story so I'm kinda torn.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I check everything and nope it seems like I'm back to the start except one of the side quests I picked up is still in my log and all of the notes that I unlocked are still there as well. I also did some side quest where I kill a captain and it seems as though that is still cleared because the NPCs are talking about him being dead.

On the lobby screen, choose Select Story Point and set it to where you were.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nate405 posted:

On the lobby screen, choose Select Story Point and set it to where you were.

Tried that and it wouldn’t let me go back to where I was. Only gave me the option to start from where I needed to rescue the Jakob.

I just lowered the WL and did it again. The fight was still a bitch though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Tried that and it wouldn’t let me go back to where I was. Only gave me the option to start from where I needed to rescue the Jakob.

I just lowered the WL and did it again. The fight was still a bitch though.

Yeah you ran into the biggest complaints we have about this game all at once. It had such great potential, but welp

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

This is the funny part. The always-online, the cheat detection, the one kneejerk nerf round, the existing expedition structure sucking... that's it. There is no longer term.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Latest update - 13.05.21

As our work and testing on the upcoming patch is still ongoing, the patch will not be deploying this week.

This upcoming patch is intended to primarily address the damage mitigation bug and will also contain changes to Brood Mother damage behaviour which can currently cause the insta-kill issue that some players have observed with this enemy in particular.

We have also been continually investigating and addressing sign in issues that certain users may have encountered. We've made backend changes within the last hour to help some of these users, but are aware that this may not solve the issue for everyone just yet. This upcoming patch will include further monitoring to help us further pinpoint and understand the causes of any related outstanding problems.

We will update you again when we have specific release information for the patch.

Update - 10.05.21

Testing for the patch to resolve "damage mitigation not working properly" throughout this week. Until testing has been completed, we will be unable to provide a precise release date for the patch (in case the testing indicates that further work is required).

IMPORTANT:

We have identified that the issue regarding enemies doing excessively more damage all of a sudden is most commonly (but perhaps not exclusively) triggered by the specific steps below:

Join a multiplayer session as a client

Leave the multiplayer session

Additional trigger: As either a host or a client, attempt an expedition at a lower CT level (For example, playing at CT12 with a level 50 character). The issue will become more prevalent the greater the disparity between your armour and the enemies level is.

In such cases, the game code encounters a bug that prevents it from pulling an important backend stat-table.

If you tend to hop between multiplayer sessions with different partners, you may therefore be more likely to encounter this issue. Staying with the same partners for the duration of your play-session or playing solo should help mitigate against this issue occurring.

Restarting the game fully should force the game to once more pull the correct stat-table which in turn should prevent enemies from dealing more than intended damage until the bug reoccurs.

We are additionally looking at what we can do to short-term mitigate particularly against "one shot kills" from certain enemies such as Brood Mothers. However, as such changes would affect everyone, rather than just those who have encountered the issue, we need to be careful here. If we do go down this route these changes may be a potential holdover till the patch releases, but we will share more news around this when we can.

Please see further remedy steps in the update from 07.05.21 below.

lol dont back out of games, in the game that puts you with people hosting from a cruise ship

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

quote:

We are additionally looking at what we can do to short-term mitigate particularly against "one shot kills" from certain enemies such as Brood Mothers. However, as such changes would affect everyone, rather than just those who have encountered the issue, we need to be careful here. If we do go down this route these changes may be a potential holdover till the patch releases, but we will share more news around this when we can.

God forbid someone might be able to benefit slightly in your non competitive game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love how they tried to make a fun coop looter shooter but because of scaling it totally sucks rear end to play in a group.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I tried to play this game three times. Two times the servers were down, and the third time I was able to play for 20 minutes before the servers went down and it made me lose a bunch of progress.

Now all I read about is them patching stuff like this is a competitive game, and each note makes me not ever want to try it again because it sounds less fun. Not that I could even really play it in the first place.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I tried to play this game three times. Two times the servers were down, and the third time I was able to play for 20 minutes before the servers went down and it made me lose a bunch of progress.

Now all I read about is them patching stuff like this is a competitive game, and each note makes me not ever want to try it again because it sounds less fun. Not that I could even really play it in the first place.

yeah i gave up on finishing the really cool single player story I was invested in because I couldn't loving sign in for a week

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I'd really love some insight into their minds regarding why they're treating balance like an mmo where it's bad to overpower plates cause they'll stop paying for your game when it's a single player game that is paid for and done with

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bamhand posted:

God forbid someone might be able to benefit slightly in your non competitive game.

from, not to

brood mothers would sometimes kill you 100-0 at random

it's been a bug since launch and never got looked at

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

from, not to

brood mothers would sometimes kill you 100-0 at random

it's been a bug since launch and never got looked at

They're saying they don't want to put a temporary fix in for it because then people not affected by the bug would benefit by taking less damage from brood mothers.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'd really love some insight into their minds regarding why they're treating balance like an mmo where it's bad to overpower plates cause they'll stop paying for your game when it's a single player game that is paid for and done with

For the same reason that cheaters are literally worse than triple hitler and you must have a punishment for them in your non-competitive barely-even-co-op game: because this is what people, in general, expect. The ideas of competitive and non-competitive games have been mashed together and everyone is too brokebrained from years of this poo poo to know any different.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As far as I can tell the anti-cheat doesn't even do anything. It doesn't take a lot of digging to find numerous reddit threads about people using cheatengine to tweak drop rates, or give themselves enough damage to 1 shot every enemy, etc.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mailer posted:

For the same reason that cheaters are literally worse than triple hitler and you must have a punishment for them in your non-competitive barely-even-co-op game: because this is what people, in general, expect. The ideas of competitive and non-competitive games have been mashed together and everyone is too brokebrained from years of this poo poo to know any different.

I hate this and its true.

Also the damage mitigation thing is only part of the problem somehow. My friend and I were doing even higher damage post-patch than pre-patch (meaning enemies just had more health) and we weren't able to complete Expeds on CTs we were golding before. Maybe I'm insane but it sure seemed like on top of surviveability tanking they made the enemies tankier, or some loving poo poo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

UnknownMercenary posted:

As far as I can tell the anti-cheat doesn't even do anything. It doesn't take a lot of digging to find numerous reddit threads about people using cheatengine to tweak drop rates, or give themselves enough damage to 1 shot every enemy, etc.

Easy anti cheat only checks to see if cheat engine is running. The cheat table guys have dlls to replace the eac stuff. I haven't tried it out tho. But lol getting a cheater watermark in your solo looter shooter isnt gonna amount to much.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
The saddest part of it all (as others have stated) is that this is all sad because there's a really good game in there. I'm still enjoying doing expeditions with friends and messing with goofy builds, and I definitely got my money's worth, but yeah, this is / was sooooo close to being a big hit.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

UnknownMercenary posted:

Correct. It does nothing - in SP. You just use a bypass for EAC and have to stay in SP and it doesn't seem to trigger the flagging - last I checked anyway I was still unflagged after loving with my drop rates and getting a mountain of legendary items.

You cannot join MP games though - at all. But you can play solo with a bypass, gear up, remove the bypass and go back to MP...you'll keep the gear but obviously not the godmode/super dmg.

Here is the best part. After selling my mountain of cheated legendaries, they gave me a bunch perfected ones right back as part of the patch to restore lost items.....

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man they were were able to build a lot of poo poo before things went south! Like it kinda doesn’t make sense but I’ve switched that part of my brain off and am just enjoying the ride.

I do like the story though and I’m invested enough to see it through at this point despite the few issues I have with the game.

I think I’m gonna keep the WL set one below max though because I just don’t want to deal with the frustration

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I did think the story was surprisingly good. Though my bar was set pretty low.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

I did think the story was surprisingly good. Though my bar was set pretty low.

I’m really just enjoying how my lady is having a poo poo day and can’t be hosed with a lot of this stuff.

Like someone gets sniped and she’s all just like *sigh* moving on!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The very first time it happened I was like hmmmmm and then it just kept getting funnier and funnier. Definitely better than most.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I got a sensible chuckle over her explanation for what "going medieval" on someone means. Just kept going and going.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

That's the worst bit. The story was good... The gunplay was good. The classes and the skill and weapon modification were a cracking good start.

Even the progression unlock rate was decent. Yeah it could have been smoother but there was plenty to do and I really enjoyed the side quests along the way.

Then it just poo poo the bed so hard in single player and multiplayer at the end game and was like they stopped development entirely. It's maddening.

I absolutely got my moneysworth and don't regret it at all but drat it had the potential with so few changes to be a thousand hour game not a hundred hour one.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FileNotFound posted:

Correct. It does nothing - in SP. You just use a bypass for EAC and have to stay in SP and it doesn't seem to trigger the flagging - last I checked anyway I was still unflagged after loving with my drop rates and getting a mountain of legendary items.

You cannot join MP games though - at all. But you can play solo with a bypass, gear up, remove the bypass and go back to MP...you'll keep the gear but obviously not the godmode/super dmg.

Here is the best part. After selling my mountain of cheated legendaries, they gave me a bunch perfected ones right back as part of the patch to restore lost items.....

Which trainer/bypass did you use?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
the amount of people who have said "got my money's worth" is directly equivalent to how bad the game actually is / got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ben Quebec posted:

the amount of people who have said "got my money's worth" is directly equivalent to how bad the game actually is / got.

I got my money’s worth because it was free lmao