Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pyrotoad posted:

Newest Helluva Boss episode has some really good character animation going on, and most of it is dedicated to the new guy of the week voiced by Norman Reedus.

Does he bring the Funky Fetus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Funky Valentine posted:

Does he bring the Funky Fetus.

Sadly not :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Watching DOTA. This is a lot of lore.

Also Birdgirl continues to be amazing this week. So loving funny.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

Newest Helluva Boss episode has some really good character animation going on, and most of it is dedicated to the new guy of the week voiced by Norman Reedus.

Have a link for everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZmVAdezF8

I actually think this is probably the best episode yet, a few choppy low FPS scenes aside; the show's really hit its stride imo.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh is that intentional? I was assuming the player had poo poo the bed. I assume they ran out of time/budget and compensated accordingly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Am I the only one who’s really put off by Helluva Boss/Hazbin Hotel or whatever? The art style just gives me the willies, like it’s drawn purely as a fetish. Almost hard to look at. It also seems like it’s a bit too tryhard with the adult content.

Could just be my own subjective tastes, dunno.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It just looks to me like someone very very very influenced by Jhonen Vasquez.

In other news I am on episode 10 of season 3 in my Legend of Korra rewatch. Holy moly how did this show ever air on Nickelodeon. It’s incredible what they’re getting away with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The style reminds me a lot of animated Beetlejuice.

I've seen similar things here and there around various art corners of the internet, and I have it associated in my head with a lot of teen angst and hot topic expressiveness, and I guess that enough of those people grew up while holding onto the same sensibilities.

Ccs posted:

In other news I am on episode 10 of season 3 in my Legend of Korra rewatch. Holy moly how did this show ever air on Nickelodeon. It’s incredible what they’re getting away with.

Season 3? It didn't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

Am I the only one who’s really put off by Helluva Boss/Hazbin Hotel or whatever? The art style just gives me the willies, like it’s drawn purely as a fetish. Almost hard to look at. It also seems like it’s a bit too tryhard with the adult content.

Could just be my own subjective tastes, dunno.

Nah, I'm with you. I do respect them for doing all this solely on Youtube without huge studio bucks but it feels frequently like they're just being excessive just to show they can. And just like Jurassic Park, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

But like, I don't begrudge anyone for liking it, some folks just like dirtier jokes and it's undeniably well animated. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah there’s absolutely a contingent of Jhonen fans that show is very desperately seeking the approval of, but it’s a touch too zany for me. A show with that art style that was darker and more sinister like the Hazbin pilot would probably be my GOAT, but the episode watched just felt like Powerpuff Girls with swearing kinda?

I will just binge all of them I’m sure.

FWIW the art style for Helluva Boss is 100% my jam, so if I’m overly critical of the rest of the show it’s because the animation is a lot to live up to.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I'm rewatching YOLO Crystal Fantasy and it's still great. Also Saberspark's latest vid introduced me to Peepoodo, which is unlike anything I've ever watched, and it's super entertaining. It somehow manages to be super crass but not in an eye rolling way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megera posted:

I'm rewatching YOLO Crystal Fantasy and it's still great. Also Saberspark's latest vid introduced me to Peepoodo, which is unlike anything I've ever watched, and it's super entertaining. It somehow manages to be super crass but not in an eye rolling way.

The second season of Peepoodo just started coming out thanks to Kickstarter so get excited because there are more cute animal dongs coming your way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It’s just so goddamn French.

Anyway that new Lorde and Miller movie on Netflix is pretty good. The 2d animation accents they use do absolutely nothing for me personally but I respect them doing it and I could see how people would like them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

RubricMarine posted:

Have a link for everyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZmVAdezF8

I actually think this is probably the best episode yet, a few choppy low FPS scenes aside; the show's really hit its stride imo.

I am 100% here for Millie and Moxie. They just love each other so much, in a culture that doesn't value that at all.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Back half of Primal is on HBO Max. Absolutely fantastic episodes, go watch em.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just finished the first season of Solar Opposites and holy poo poo, the wall episode. :stare:

I always thought that kind of overly dramatic writing style in R&M was all Harmon. Apparently not.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 9, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This episode of Final Space was pretty decent.

It's still an episode of Final Space, so they went too far with the fist fight scene, and the new relationship stuff with the space child raises some odd questions that you're probably not meant to think about.

But, it was good and fun, and the emotional stuff was (mostly) believable and likeable.

Also I don't say this enough, but this show is really nicely animated. Compared to stuff like Invincible, it really stands out.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Love Death Robots Season 2 is out. I watched nearly all of the first season because the visual style was cool, but i'd say there were only 3 shorts I really enjoyed, while a number were written like trash or seemed to be video game cinematics with a few extra lines of dialogue.

There are currently no critical reviews for this second season, and audience scores are in the pits (47%). So... that doesn't bode well. It's too bad, because Jennifer Yuh Nelson joined the crew this season and I had hoped her sensibilites plus the smaller episode count would mean they'd craft better stories that weren't all about how many tits and how much blood they could cram on screen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought LDR was a brilliant anthology that was very obviously a labor of love by incredibly talented people. I’m excited to check the new ideas out.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
While the first season had it's moments, this one was remarkably uninteresting. I will forget most of this in a week. It's short, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I liked it, but I think it really suffered from there only being 8 segments. Last time around there was enough that pretty much anyone could find at least one segment that resonated, whether it was good sci-fi like Beyond the Aquilla Rift and Sonny's Edge or simply artistically masterful like Zima Blue, but with fewer than half as many episodes and no real standouts I can see why people wouldn't be as enthused about this season (Even if I personally enjoyed each of the episodes).

Apparently the third season (Also 8 episodes) is already scheduled to come out next year, so it'll be interesting to see how that compares to this season, and whether that one ends up having any standout episodes that this season lacked.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Someone pointed out that in the first season 16 out of the 18 segments were based on science fiction written by men. It’s a good thing they rectified that this time by having.... all the segment based on stories written by men.

It’s fine though, I guess women don’t write about love or death or robots.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like it's weird that no one here has mentioned that Venture Bros is getting a movie, as are... Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I figured they'd just do some VB comics to stop the big public outcry after its cancellation and as far as the other two... well I did not see that coming.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

TwoPair posted:

I feel like it's weird that no one here has mentioned that Venture Bros is getting a movie, as are... Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force?

I figured they'd just do some VB comics to stop the big public outcry after its cancellation and as far as the other two... well I did not see that coming.

I like to believe that I personally willed the Aqua Teen Hungerforce movie into existence.

However, if it ends up being bad I will take no responsibility for my actions.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I only hope that you also will Boston to shut down over a lite-brite board again.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TwoPair posted:

Join us in the Venture Bros thread! We're having a blast!

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

cant cook creole bream posted:

While the first season had it's moments, this one was remarkably uninteresting. I will forget most of this in a week. It's short, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I finished volume 2 a little while ago, and this is pretty much exactly where I come down. I just didn't find anything meaty to chew on with any of these. While volume 1 had a few that I still think about to this day (hell, after finishing vol. 2 I went back to watch Zima Blue again and it still rules), this entire season just went in one ear and out the other. I think the only standouts for me were Ice and Tall Grass, and those are both just for the neat visual aesthetics rather than the actual stories, both of which were pretty meh. I still appreciate the idea behind LD+R though, and I'll watch volume 3 in the hopes that it's a bit crunchier.

(Also, there are only eight episodes and two of them were both about malfunctioning cleaning robots trying to kill people? There was a clear difference in tone, but that still felt like a bit much.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m really glad Venture Bros is getting a movie to conclude things. I absolutely love the first 3 seasons of that show but for one reason or another wasn’t able to connect with the later ones (it’s like the voices got more annoying or something? Or maybe i just lost track because of the huge gaps between seasons). But it’s long term fans who stayed with it through an enormously long production deserve to see it have a fitting end.

Heck I can remember going to a comicon panel for it almost 10 years ago and they were showing animatic clips of season 5. The actual season dropped 2 years later and the next 3 years after that...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really loved the Venture Bros. For S1-5, but then I feel like it drops off a cliff very sharply, and wasn’t really into the final season pretty much at all. The show really feels like it’s totally divorced from everything that used to make it funny, so hopefully the movie gives it a proper sendoff.

This just sounds like the Metalacalypse finale we all thought was never coming, I’m very happy!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

I’m really glad Venture Bros is getting a movie to conclude things. I absolutely love the first 3 seasons of that show but for one reason or another wasn’t able to connect with the later ones (it’s like the voices got more annoying or something? Or maybe i just lost track because of the huge gaps between seasons). But it’s long term fans who stayed with it through an enormously long production deserve to see it have a fitting end.

Heck I can remember going to a comicon panel for it almost 10 years ago and they were showing animatic clips of season 5. The actual season dropped 2 years later and the next 3 years after that...

I definitely just lost track after oh so many gaps. I figure before the movie comes out I'll go marathon the series and see all the stuff I never saw originally

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bust Rodd posted:

I really loved the Venture Bros. For S1-5, but then I feel like it drops off a cliff very sharply, and wasn’t really into the final season pretty much at all. The show really feels like it’s totally divorced from everything that used to make it funny, so hopefully the movie gives it a proper sendoff.

This just sounds like the Metalacalypse finale we all thought was never coming, I’m very happy!

I think the Venture Bros got better and better and is as good as it's ever been

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Blue Morpho trilogy was a high point for me, so idk if I can agree with the decline narrative. The later seasons have less Dr. Orpheus so that's a negative.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
My wife and I just mainlined Love Death + Robots Volume 2, and I'm 100% happy with that use of an evening.

I think being a parent influences your reaction to Pop Squad greatly. Watching a kid close to my youngest's age try to share his toy with a man that murdered him was heartbreaking because I've watched my little dude do that with other kids. It was pretty brutal, and the both of us had tears streaming down our faces the whole episode.

Snow in the Desert was the most realistic CGI I've ever seen. Truly a technological marvel, especially since I was an adult when Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within came out and hearlded the end of live actors.

Finally the truest gem in the volume was All Through The House. We were loving DYING laughing the entire first watch, then watched it again after we finished the volume. That's going in the family Christmas watchlist, though the kids won't see it until they're teens.

Was Volume 1 better? Yes. Is Volume 2 good? Yes. Will I watch Volume 3? gently caress yes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DoctorWhat posted:

I think the Venture Bros got better and better and is as good as it's ever been

I'll agree with that. The shift that came with season 6 really breathed new life into the show, and made it quite a bit more interesting. I'm happy there's a movie coming but I'd prefer a new season. Oh well, Adult Swim has to buckle down and commission more basic bullshit so their overlords at AT&T can buy a platinum yacht, the gold ones are so gaudy you see.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m excited to check the new ideas out.

Well, you're poo poo out of luck then. Season 2 is so devoid of new ideas that it has the same plot twice: maintenance robots going bad and trying to kill the human protagonist.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve started to rewatch Venture Bros from season 3, cause that’s when I remember it really getting into the groove. Very enjoyable.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yasuke isn't bad but it kind of feels like it was a much longer project that got cut down to 6 episodes.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yasuke was okay but the animation could be so, so rough at times, especially considering the pretty quality animation MAPPA is capable of putting out.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

Yasuke isn't bad but it kind of feels like it was a much longer project that got cut down to 6 episodes.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if we could discuss this here but I really wanted to hear some more thoughts on what happened because this was a cool idea that ended up being so mediocre. I went into it blind and was just utterly disappointed. They should have just taken the flashback scenes and fleshed that out into the actual show, because that's where all the interesting story was. The present-day story is about a poorly-defined conflict involving flat characters and Yasuke himself frequently feels like an extra there, but even if they fixed that they went through like four different antagonists in six episodes and none of them had any time to develop into compelling villains. It's utterly bewildering at times, and I actually paused a few minutes in to episode five to check if Netflix had somehow skipped a few episodes because I felt like I had missed a ton of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

LeSean Thomas is an incredibly inspiring guy but aside from his stint on Black Dynamite I’ve been really underwhelmed by everything he’s worked on from a storytelling standpoint. His visual skills are top notch but Cannon Busters and Yasuke didn’t grab me.

I assume he just hasn’t found good storytelling collaborators who can give his visuals the backing they need to really shine.