Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Friends, have your had your sardines today? I have :smug:

:coolfish:

e: they were Wild Planet Lightly Smoked in olive oil, with white rice and a teaspoon of prepared Coleman's mustard. Simple yet effective at getting the dines into my belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

peanut butter and 'chove take 2

soaking the choves in coconut oil ameliorated a lot of the saltines. I should've left the cukes off though, the combo of cuke and anchovy made it taste a little too much like peanut butter sushi. not real sure what I'll use for the crunch. and yeah, all I had for bread was white bread.

the real star turned out to be the coconut milk that the anchovies soaked in. anchovy infused coconut milk with some ginger, garlic and lime juice over rice was dangerously close to breaking the mouth

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

isaboo posted:

Friends, have your had your sardines today? I have :smug:

:coolfish:

all those dines are why you tell such good stories

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Found my KO shirt I won in a haiku contest but never wore

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I kind of expected it to be red.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I kind of expected it to be red.

I'd totally rock a red or brown KO shirt. Might have to start looking at FB again. All I got when I won KO contest was 2 cans of mackerel and a sticker.

ViolaceousTrogon
Mar 4, 2015
Cripes, dads. God BLESS it.

I've lurked on this god forsaken idiot website for so long and never intended to post, but, well, DRAT it. I have to get this off my chest about sardines already

Theyre good

Pardon my French

ViolaceousTrogon
Mar 4, 2015
Oh and here's a thing I made that even my sardine-hating partner said was delicious:

Crusty toasty baguette, Good Boy sardines with curry (but don't be deceived, they weren't spicy or spiced), SWAD coconut chutney, and red onions soaked in the leftover pickling brine from some vietnamesey pickled carrots

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bela sent the Ordinary Sausage guy a bunch of 'dines so we know what one of his next sausages is gonna be.

naem
May 29, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

Found my KO shirt I won in a haiku contest but never wore

that’s a heck of a nice shirt

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is Season an unrepresentatively bland brand of mackerel or is mak just not for me? Kippers look to remain my canned little fishes of choice.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

naem posted:

that’s a heck of a nice shirt

I’d wear that, but the highest reward I’ve gotten from KO for my terrible poetry was a wood sardine fork.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

oregoons, a reminder

herring, anchovy, sardine, topsmelt, jacksmelt, and true smelts: limit 25 pounds per day in combination. a separate container is required for each dipper. these may be taken by angling, dip net, cast net and herring jigs

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

oregoons, a reminder

herring, anchovy, sardine, topsmelt, jacksmelt, and true smelts: limit 25 pounds per day in combination. a separate container is required for each dipper. these may be taken by angling, dip net, cast net and herring jigs

then take me fishing you piece of crap

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

instead of being abusive towards me, direct your rage against the portland city council and demand that they extend MAX service to seaside.

with covid impacting the erotic dancing industry, you should be able to craft a net from surplus fishnet stockings

getting out to brookings and chartering a fishing tour does sound kind fun but the shadow of critical failure looms large over all goon group endeavors

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Went crappie fishing today, husband's first time fishing and my first time filleting fish. We caught exactly one decent sized fish and dropped him off the dock. The rest were about the size of my hand. Behold our fishy bounty:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Went crappie fishing today, husband's first time fishing and my first time filleting fish. We caught exactly one decent sized fish and dropped him off the dock. The rest were about the size of my hand. Behold our fishy bounty:

I'll never turn my nose up at panfish.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

That looks great. I like to cook the smaller ones whole, just heads off, gutted and scaled. With sunfishes the fins pull out easily and the meat lifts right off of the bones after cooking.

ViolaceousTrogon
Mar 4, 2015
For the refined palate, here's my recipe for Pâte aux Trois Poissons

Mash mash:
1 can olive oil sardines
1/2 can anchovies
Large handful of goldfish crackers squeezed to dust
Enough hot sauce to cohere (I used bourbon chipotle)

Garnish with onions and lemons and capers or whatever. I put some on a leftover egg and cheese breakfast sandwich from my car that had some serious terroir and it was big good

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBoJFhijz3Y

Not the ideal method for consuming sardines.

For me, ideal is the Mediterranean-style ones on roasted garlic triscuits, no additional sauce required.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

the local grocery store had smoked carp (!!!) for sale. these things are loving huge. the size of a rack of ribs. for around 3 dollars each. I bought 3 of them because that deal was too good to pass up and I always wanted to try carp, since I suck at catching them.

Review: loving amazing. Similar to mackerel in that I see it as a "dark meat" fish if that makes sense. Seriously, it's so rich and filling. Would not be out of place at a Thanksgiving table. 10/10. Had some bones but they are pretty big so they are easy to remove. If you have a chance to eat carp, take it. God drat. A very filling fish.

for the price, and the taste, god drat, this needs to be a more popular food in the west

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Post a pic of the carp

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Bullfrog posted:

the local grocery store had smoked carp (!!!) for sale. these things are loving huge. the size of a rack of ribs. for around 3 dollars each. I bought 3 of them because that deal was too good to pass up and I always wanted to try carp, since I suck at catching them.

Review: loving amazing. Similar to mackerel in that I see it as a "dark meat" fish if that makes sense. Seriously, it's so rich and filling. Would not be out of place at a Thanksgiving table. 10/10. Had some bones but they are pretty big so they are easy to remove. If you have a chance to eat carp, take it. God drat. A very filling fish.

for the price, and the taste, god drat, this needs to be a more popular food in the west

My grandfather used to smoke carp in a smoker he built out of an old fridge (like really old, with the lever on the door that would lock you in and seal your doom old). Smoked carp is drat tasty stuff, something about the way the oil of the fish absorbs the smoky goodness makes it great.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I smoked mackerel last summer and can confirm oily fishies are excellent in retaining that flavor.

I think I'll try smoking carp if I find some for cheap.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Thanks for reminding me to buy a whole smoked lavaret/whitefish again. If any of you Americans ever find yourselves in Northern Europe again, don't pass on trying it, it's amazing oily goodness all the way.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

how should I eat tinned mussels?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

easy protein addition to any salad.

Honestly, sardines/tinned fishies in a salad is my primary go-to move.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Funny you say this, as I was about to post about it.

A local grocer carries Matiz products, which are tinned seafood: Mackerel, Sardines, and so on. The sardines are HUGE, but I also got a can of the mussels.

Often times I throw together a mediterranean cupboard type of thing for lunch, so I:

Boiled some pasta noodles

While the noodles were boiling, I put some olive oil in a nonstick and I think

- sweated some onion in there, followed by
- some chopped up canned artichoke
- chopped canned roasted red pepper
- a few leftover capers (which im not crazy about but it fit the bill here)
- some red pepper flake
- the mussels
-S&P

cooked that, then put in some lemon zest

Dumped some of the water from the pasta pan into the nonstick, squeezed the lemon over it, cooked it down for a minute or two then dumped it over the noodles and tossed together. Put a hunk of butter in there and that was it

I recommend this as an easy approach to any tinned fish. Add garlic if you want, I just forgot this time

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Planet X posted:

Funny you say this, as I was about to post about it.

A local grocer carries Matiz products, which are tinned seafood: Mackerel, Sardines, and so on. The sardines are HUGE, but I also got a can of the mussels.

Often times I throw together a mediterranean cupboard type of thing for lunch, so I:

Boiled some pasta noodles

While the noodles were boiling, I put some olive oil in a nonstick and I think

- sweated some onion in there, followed by
- some chopped up canned artichoke
- chopped canned roasted red pepper
- a few leftover capers (which im not crazy about but it fit the bill here)
- some red pepper flake
- the mussels
-S&P

cooked that, then put in some lemon zest

Dumped some of the water from the pasta pan into the nonstick, squeezed the lemon over it, cooked it down for a minute or two then dumped it over the noodles and tossed together. Put a hunk of butter in there and that was it

I recommend this as an easy approach to any tinned fish. Add garlic if you want, I just forgot this time

Yeah this basic recipe is super adaptable! Just make sure to have the aromatics and long noodles. I think garlic is key and a finish with white wine in a really hot pan for 20 seconds adds a lot of flavor

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Keith Atherton posted:

Yeah this basic recipe is super adaptable! Just make sure to have the aromatics and long noodles. I think garlic is key and a finish with white wine in a really hot pan for 20 seconds adds a lot of flavor

Ah, that's the ticket, white wine! The recipe I quoted is a take off of a Cook's Illustrated tuna recipe I used to use, and I knew there was something missing, so thanks.

A tip from me: I buy those little (slightly larger than an airplane bottle) 4 packs of Sutter Home or Woodbridge Chardonnay to keep in the cupboard - this way when you want to use white wine in a sauce, you don't have to open up a whole standard wine bottle, the little bottles are just the right amount for a reduction and a quick dadswig

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

What am I going to drink while I'm cooking then?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

with a smile

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

the other three bottles of Sutter home

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

A PBR tall boy if you’re me

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

thanks all

naem
May 29, 2011

Planet X posted:

the other three bottles of Sutter home

https://i.imgur.com/bdyBfnP.gifv

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Aww, my king oscar shirt is red instead of that sweet grey the other person posted earlier. Now its going to clash with my apron.

ViolaceousTrogon
Mar 4, 2015
Eat your sardines on pita with harissa, labneh, and a sprinkle of sumac, already

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucinogenic_fish