Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
of course it is, i recommended it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my brother works in the meat works and works with sharp knives every day so he’s got about two decades of full time cutting animals experience and probably knows a sharp knife.

he uses and sharpens knives often enough the literally wears through them until theirs a small skinny blade left

watching him use a honing rod is an interesting experience, he does it very slow and precise.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

might pick up a chinese grandma butane burner and a wok too

idk why i’ve always written this off, always assumed
I guess coz I didn’t have gas i couldn’t do it

just use what you said instead

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got out my spyderco sharpmaker doodad and sharpened my chefs knife tonight. now my hand hurts bc i was gripping it too tightly and also lol old man with arthritis or whatever

luckily ms jones picked me up some store brand icy hot from cvs tonight :nice:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also at least for me a 10" chefs knife really can't be done with the whole blade at once. the santokus are smaller and might work better and the paring knives will be trivial

i will never sharpen a bread knife, i'll either pay somebody or failing that buy a fuckin new one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you know what makes a good bread knife?

old bandsaw blades. You can just pound the set out of em and if you want grind the teeth thinner and they work great.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

President Beep posted:

little fucker was sharp!
beep on being roasted by his child again

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

my brother works in the meat works and works with sharp knives every day so he’s got about two decades of full time cutting animals experience and probably knows a sharp knife.

he uses and sharpens knives often enough the literally wears through them until theirs a small skinny blade left

watching him use a honing rod is an interesting experience, he does it very slow and precise.

im so bad at honing knives. i think because my right handed dad tried to teach me, a horrible left handed failure of a son

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i've been staring at this lansky set for 5 minutes and cannot picture how it's supposed to work lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

go on forged in fire so guys in 5.11 tactical can yell at you about delaminations

when the lockdown first started my friends and i all sat in discord and watched streams of this all day. what a ridiculous show

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i had some minor interest in metalworking before that show came out because i thought it would be cool to make my own kitchen knives. later on i went to talk to some people about it and they were like uggggggggh that show everybody wants to make ~~~weapons~~~ and become a master blacksmith now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mediaphage posted:

i had some minor interest in metalworking before that show came out because i thought it would be cool to make my own kitchen knives. later on i went to talk to some people about it and they were like uggggggggh that show everybody wants to make ~~~weapons~~~ and become a master blacksmith now

storage wars similarly ruined the auction scene, now every unit is bid up by 372 dads who are gonna be rich* off whatever's inside.

* its still gonna be old moldy clothes and monopoly games with missing pieces in 90% of em, fellas

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

that show is my guilty pleasure, at this point I think most of the contestants' interest in making stuff postdates them seeing the show so it's become self sustaining. I like it because you get to see all the different kinds of knife guys: nazi survivalist/prepper, hunting enthusiast/budding serial killer, retired office worker trying to reclaim his masculinity, 100 year old actual blacksmith, the occasional diy hipster, the d&d/metal sword dudes, etc.

it's a fascinating cross section of white america

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
i knew a guy who would do the storage bidding, had 2 trucks, one for loading worthwhile poo poo, one for trash. then he got mad when storage wars came out and he said it ruined it and he sold the trucks. he found some cool poo poo before, though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i assume same thing's happened to pawn scene (though those business owners are usually fucks so they can eat a turd anyways)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

that show is my guilty pleasure, at this point I think most of the contestants' interest in making stuff postdates them seeing the show so it's become self sustaining. I like it because you get to see all the different kinds of knife guys: nazi survivalist/prepper, hunting enthusiast/budding serial killer, retired office worker trying to reclaim his masculinity, 100 year old actual blacksmith, the occasional diy hipster, the d&d/metal sword dudes, etc.

it's a fascinating cross section of white america

yeah to be honest i'm more annoyed at the hobby insider artisans who look down on people being inspired to try a new hobby than i do any kind of these shows

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

fyi traditional woodworkers love blacksmiths cause there's a bunch of blacksmithed poo poo they need that isn't made commercially so there's some commercially successful blacksmiths catering to that field

my understanding of knifemaking is that it's like 80% standing in front of the belt sander

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
its worth having a blacksmith around to make proper mounts for shelving tbh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

yeah to be honest i'm more annoyed at the hobby insider artisans who look down on people being inspired to try a new hobby than i do any kind of these shows

word

"you saw my trade and thought it was cool! how dare you!"

like the only reason it occurred to me that knifemaking could even be a hobby was cause i went to a big NMLRA shoot with my dad at least once a year as a kid and there were always people selling their knives/tomahawks/barrels/etc

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Cheese and crackers did my brain not parze that right the first time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

well....what did you parse it as? maybe i can learn some more armenian slang!!

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I saw NAMBLA for a second and was like wts

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol oh nooooooo

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NAMBLA, but also with guns!

Welcome to the Republican party

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
more like BLAMBLA

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

more like BLAMBLA

see jonny it's poo poo like this that makes it a moral imperative for you to stay alive. my day is better for having read this and i'm ngl it's been a great day so making it better ain't easy

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's been a pretty mediocre day, but jonny definitely should stay alive

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

more like BLAMBLA

whoa oh black Betty

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Captain Foo posted:

whoa oh black Betty
:lol:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my mom fell, broke her arm, fractured her hip. can't visit the hospital due to covid. poo poo sucks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

more like BLAMBLA

Captain Foo posted:

whoa oh black Betty

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

whoa oh black Betty
teamwork makes the dream work

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Truman Peyote posted:

my mom fell, broke her arm, fractured her hip. can't visit the hospital due to covid. poo poo sucks

gently caress, sorry friend. Hope she recovers alright.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
got my honda fit

shiiiit it’s a step up. and much “peppier” than I expected it to be. now that I’ve had it a couple of days and am familiar with it, it’s so smooth to drive. I’ve never had a car in such good condition. and the first time in ages I’ve enjoyed driving.

I’m tempted to put a new air intake on it. what have I become?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
nice man, that was the same feeling i got when i bought my vw sportwagen a few years ago. it was the first brand new car i had bought (i ran the honda civic from college into the ground), so it was weird being able to pick out what i wanted. went with the 6 speed manual w/ AWD and i still love to drive it whenever i do. its a nice feeling to have a ride thats fun to drive.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

echinopsis posted:

got my honda fit

shiiiit it’s a step up. and much “peppier” than I expected it to be. now that I’ve had it a couple of days and am familiar with it, it’s so smooth to drive. I’ve never had a car in such good condition. and the first time in ages I’ve enjoyed driving.

I’m tempted to put a new air intake on it. what have I become?

They're so zippy, it's really a joy to drive.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shoeberto posted:

They're so zippy, it's really a joy to drive.

my older on was not zippy at all. lol. this one is an rs sport whatever that means

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

nice man, that was the same feeling i got when i bought my vw sportwagen a few years ago. it was the first brand new car i had bought (i ran the honda civic from college into the ground), so it was weird being able to pick out what i wanted. went with the 6 speed manual w/ AWD and i still love to drive it whenever i do. its a nice feeling to have a ride thats fun to drive.

very nice. i’ve never driven with a 6th gear but it’s
on my bucket list

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Soiled Meat
im bummed that vw got rid of their sportwagen in the us, and mazda removed the manual in the us for the mazda3. those were the last manual hatchbacks here. i love the sportwagen because its light and pretty quick, plus handles snow like its nothing. then if i want to do something like buy a toilet or lawnmower or some poo poo i can fit it in the back with no issue.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my fit had paddle shifters and they were fun for the 2 days out of 365 where i cared to be sporty, beats the piss out of a manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nah this weekend reminded me that I never want to go back to an auto

well a manual on a lame rear end car now that’s lame but if I care about it at all, I love the gears