Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

Shemue III

I've really been enjoying your write-ups. I'm sorry in advance for when you finally finish the trilogy, put down the controller, lean back and think "what a loving waste of time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BrianRx posted:

Anyone grab it yet? I played a ton of the first one in early access and burnt out before release so I've never finished the story. I don't think I'd be interested in "more of the same", but it would be cool to go into a Subnautica game blind with a few improvements.
I bought it on Epic a long time ago and started playing today. It's literally Subnautica in a new setting. They didn't change any of the UI, the crafting, the survival elements, a lot of the fish and devices are the same, same resources, etc. New story, new setting.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BrianRx posted:

Anyone grab it yet? I played a ton of the first one in early access and burnt out before release so I've never finished the story. I don't think I'd be interested in "more of the same", but it would be cool to go into a Subnautica game blind with a few improvements.

From what I've watched of it thus far, it does seem to be more of the same. Doesn't look bad though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Is Dishonored worth playing before Dishonored 2?

Yes, definitely. I would argue that Dishonored is actually a better game than Dishonored 2 in terms of setting and cohesion and I easily finished the first game while I keep trying and abandoning the second game.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

buglord posted:

Does anyone have that dev interview with the dark souls guy who said he wanted the DS experience to be a sort of transitory social thing? Similar to people forming momentary bonds on the subway as they all acknowledge the barbecue shrimp homeless man blocking one of the doors and they just wanna go home

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/45eppw/the_origin_of_the_souls_multiplayer_system/

The link to the full interview is there as well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

quote:

Watch as this nostalgic yet completely reimagined storybook world unravels before your very eyes.

Taking cues from both Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts and giving birth to something entirely new, Resurrection is a title worthy of its name.

Don't be fooled—this picturesque storybook world, while gorgeous, is a love-letter to the original titles and maintains the same punishing gameplay that fans have come to expect. So go on and test your mettle, for the gauntlet has been thrown!

I'm too old for this poo poo but I might give it a try anyway.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

OzFactor posted:

I think I've been invaded twice outside of PvP areas in hundreds of hours playing DS2 over the last four or so years. Also your specific fear of getting ganked during a boss doesn't happen: you can't be invaded while fighting a boss, nor can you fight a boss while you're being invaded! (I think, others can correct me if that's off) Someone mentioned it, but you will get invaded a lot by NPCs, they added a bunch of them in Scholar. I don't think you get to turn those ones off, online or not. The piles of messages will decrease the further you venture from Majula, don't worry.

don't give up, skeleton

If you interact with a boss fog gate while invaded, it sends the invader home.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The real reason dark souls 2 is the best one is because it has a talking cat.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The first Dark Souls has one too

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flavahbeast posted:

The first Dark Souls has one too

That's not a cat, that's clearly one of those things from that weird rear end late 90s Quiznos commercial.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Antigravitas posted:

Huh?! I just played it in proton a few months ago. Worked ootb without any fuckery.

That's the standard WINE line; "But it works on my system!". Yes, but not on mine. Due to hardware, software, whatever issues. It's almost like making programs run well takes a lot of dev effort or something?! wineAppDB and protonDB are witness to this.

The best one was when UW pulled linux support for NS2; their line was "I heard some guy got it working in WINE, it'll be fiiine". loving cockmunchers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doctor Nutt posted:

That's not a cat, that's clearly one of those things from that weird rear end late 90s Quiznos commercial.

lmao

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BrianRx posted:

You should play through subnautica 1 instead. It's great.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ultrafilter posted:

Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

I'm too old for this poo poo but I might give it a try anyway.

The gameplay looks very authentic, which means it’s still garbage. Not a classic I’d want to revisit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Are Thea 2 or Fantasy General 2 any good? I'd mostly be buying it for those and maybe the Steamworld title. Neoverse looks terrible and I have Imperator, Cultist Sim, and Thea 1.

If you liked Thea 1 you’ll like 2. There is a new combat system that it’s a little weird, and balance is all over the place (the moment you get a witch you’ve won the game), but there is nothing like that out there.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

pentyne posted:

Shemue III

the bad combat in shenmue III almost kept me form finishing it. in the other games it was the filling in the plain, kinda boring but interesting gameworld donut. nice to see another who sees it infererior to the first two.

how'd you feel about the retcon of the weird magic ending of shenmue 2?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Are Thea 2 or Fantasy General 2 any good? I'd mostly be buying it for those and maybe the Steamworld title. Neoverse looks terrible and I have Imperator, Cultist Sim, and Thea 1.

Thea 2 is a cute game that can be a little frustrating at times. I'd say it's a largely incremental upgrade over Thea 1 and iirc some event chains were ported from 1.

Serephina posted:

That's the standard WINE line; "But it works on my system!". Yes, but not on mine. Due to hardware, software, whatever issues. It's almost like making programs run well takes a lot of dev effort or something?! wineAppDB and protonDB are witness to this.

The best one was when UW pulled linux support for NS2; their line was "I heard some guy got it working in WINE, it'll be fiiine". loving cockmunchers.

Yeah, but Proton + Steam is pretty well insulated from the system. Steam brings its own dependencies and so does Proton, so the normal "oh no my glibc is too old" dumbfuckery doesn't apply. I've had it be remarkably consistent between my boxen (Intel and AMD graphics, different distros), though naturally I don't own any Nvidia hardware…

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

EA Sports posted:

the bad combat in shenmue III almost kept me form finishing it. in the other games it was the filling in the plain, kinda boring but interesting gameworld donut. nice to see another who sees it infererior to the first two.

how'd you feel about the retcon of the weird magic ending of shenmue 2?

Well so far either Shenhua is crazy or the random "oh I can talk to animals, they tell me things" comment she drops during casual conversation means they still left in some mystical component.

I'll walk back my previous comment, the fighting actually works pretty well in 1 on 1 combat. It's group combat where it just absolutely falls apart. The whole training/sparring is also a massive improvement over the previous games too. I am playing on story mode, and using gambling to quickly grind for money have obtained literally every martial arts move I could reasonably get. After save-scumming and spending over $1000 in game trying for the gatcha sets I gave up because even by gatcha standards its bullshit. Most people posting about in elsewhere are assuming there's just a bug or glitch that specific gatchas are unobtainable.

I've hit the halfway point, where for some reason it's not a Shenmue game if you don't go from one massive, somewhat intricately detailed and filled map area into another one from a point of no return (I assume). Kind of hard to make any excuses for Shenmue 3 wrt costs and having to make sacrifices when it's literally repeating the problems the original dev cycle had. You can tell a lot of effort and detail went into the little things in the game, but it doesn't matter how nice the window dressing is when the house is falling apart.

I'll say it now, and probably repeat it when I beat the game, but absolutely gently caress Yu Suzuki for this game in general for being called Shenmue 3. He sold a product of finally completing the promised trilogy nearly 2 decades later, and he instead made Shenmue 3 expecting for it to be the 1st game of a new trilogy, Shenmue 4 and 5. gently caress that and gently caress him, everyone who backed the game deserves their money back for the loving con job he pulled. Every time he opens his mouth to say "Shenmue" anything someone should punch him in the face while shouting "HAZUKI STYLE!"

Oh, and some game design tips, when you make player play as a martial artist, and they master/cheese the combat so a fight is effortlessly winnable, having a victorious fight then jump to a cut scene where you get clobbered and then this happens

is absolute horseshit. It was also the second time the game did it for the same enemy.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Antigravitas posted:

Yeah, but Proton + Steam is pretty well insulated from the system. Steam brings its own dependencies and so does Proton, so the normal "oh no my glibc is too old" dumbfuckery doesn't apply. I've had it be remarkably consistent between my boxen (Intel and AMD graphics, different distros), though naturally I don't own any Nvidia hardware…

Proton is pretty pre-packaged, but it's not proof of system variability. People posting on protonDB with 0 problems, while I can't get things to not run at 2 fps etc. Likewise, I can't get any version newer than 5.0 to work (and 5.0 only since I did an in-place OS upgrade, go figure). Don't get me wrong, Proton is amazing and has done wonders for gaming on Linux, and I have a lot of shop loyalty to Steam as a result, but it still comes with zero tech support and if a person's problem isn't a known/common one, yer poo poo outa luck.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is something hosed with the webhelper? It has now ballooned to a gig on multiple occasions.

Idk if this is related because I haven't played a steam game in a while, but this coincided with me buying an EA game that requires Origin being on in the background.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Is something hosed with the webhelper? It has now ballooned to a gig on multiple occasions.

Idk if this is related because I haven't played a steam game in a while, but this coincided with me buying an EA game that requires Origin being on in the background.

I've been getting it ever since the Steam chat rework I think it was, been noticing it for months. The longer I have steam open the worse it gets. Annoying because after a few days I have to restart Steam for the chat to be functional again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've only got 8 gigs of RAM, so it's a problem. It's crashed my game twice now.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Rinkles posted:

I've only got 8 gigs of RAM, so it's a problem. It's crashed my game twice now.

Something must have changed in the last Steam update because it causes games to stutter every few minutes after about half an hour or so.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is there a general SA Discord, or something like that where I could maybe find some people to play co-op things with?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Is there a general SA Discord, or something like that where I could maybe find some people to play co-op things with?

There is one Discord server specifically for co-op games. But it was dead when I checked it. :(

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sininu posted:

There is one Discord server specifically for co-op games. But it was dead when I checked it. :(

Well that sucks. I don't really have any friends who game and I love playing co-op but really struggle finding people to play with (and figure out what games to co-op in general).

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Well that sucks. I don't really have any friends who game and I love playing co-op but really struggle finding people to play with (and figure out what games to co-op in general).

Are you in Europe? If so, then there's a chance I would be interested in playing some co-op stuff.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sininu posted:

Are you in Europe? If so, then there's a chance I would be interested in playing some co-op stuff.

USA, unfortunately.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pentyne posted:

Well so far either Shenhua is crazy or the random "oh I can talk to animals, they tell me things" comment she drops during casual conversation means they still left in some mystical component.

I'll walk back my previous comment, the fighting actually works pretty well in 1 on 1 combat. It's group combat where it just absolutely falls apart. The whole training/sparring is also a massive improvement over the previous games too. I am playing on story mode, and using gambling to quickly grind for money have obtained literally every martial arts move I could reasonably get. After save-scumming and spending over $1000 in game trying for the gatcha sets I gave up because even by gatcha standards its bullshit. Most people posting about in elsewhere are assuming there's just a bug or glitch that specific gatchas are unobtainable.

I've hit the halfway point, where for some reason it's not a Shenmue game if you don't go from one massive, somewhat intricately detailed and filled map area into another one from a point of no return (I assume). Kind of hard to make any excuses for Shenmue 3 wrt costs and having to make sacrifices when it's literally repeating the problems the original dev cycle had. You can tell a lot of effort and detail went into the little things in the game, but it doesn't matter how nice the window dressing is when the house is falling apart.

I'll say it now, and probably repeat it when I beat the game, but absolutely gently caress Yu Suzuki for this game in general for being called Shenmue 3. He sold a product of finally completing the promised trilogy nearly 2 decades later, and he instead made Shenmue 3 expecting for it to be the 1st game of a new trilogy, Shenmue 4 and 5. gently caress that and gently caress him, everyone who backed the game deserves their money back for the loving con job he pulled. Every time he opens his mouth to say "Shenmue" anything someone should punch him in the face while shouting "HAZUKI STYLE!"

Oh, and some game design tips, when you make player play as a martial artist, and they master/cheese the combat so a fight is effortlessly winnable, having a victorious fight then jump to a cut scene where you get clobbered and then this happens

is absolute horseshit. It was also the second time the game did it for the same enemy.

It won’t be the last either.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I also hate mechanically unwinnable fights that aren't immediately obvious as such so you waste consumables or w/e.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I noticed Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter was on sale for a dollar so I thought I'd pick it up. However, it's by Frogwares and the publisher is Nacon, and I know Nacon is up to a SHITTON of fuckery what with the whole Sinking City thing and all. Does anyone know if it's some kind of firesale with Nacon trying to gently caress over Frogwares?

sad question
May 30, 2020

Hard to say for sure but Devil's Daughter regularly goes on sale for very low price so that in itself is not suspicious.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Hey we co op in this discord all the time. We even run monthly themes for what games we're trying to co op'ing. This month it's rts games and next week we're going to play rise of nations. But we play pretty much everything and are pretty accommodating about times too.

https://discord.gg/YysSCqsJTT

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

municipal shrimp posted:

Hey we co op in this discord all the time. We even run monthly themes for what games we're trying to co op'ing. This month it's rts games and next week we're going to play rise of nations. But we play pretty much everything and are pretty accommodating about times too.

https://discord.gg/YysSCqsJTT

Thanks! This looks promising.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

OzFactor posted:

Atmosphere: sometimes! There is extremely large variety in environments and some of them are very atmospheric! Some of them are... brownish green.
Exploration: definitely! It's actually the most open game in the series. That's actually the best advice for a new player: just head in one direction, and when you get tired of where you are, just go somewhere else.
Cool environments: again, mostly!
Exciting boss fights: did you mean more boss fights? No? Well, probably not a strong point here.

Coming back to this post after putting in a good six hours today, and I'm finding these points to be true. So far I really, really like the environments. Majula sets the tone but there are some gorgeous vistas elsewhere as well - Heide's Tower is the obvious one. And I dig No-man's Wharf a lot even though it feels a little like Blighttown (Reprise), and it's a little hellish trying to go deeper here.

I've done two bosses thus far. Last Giant was a a bit of a shrug and Dragonrider fell off Taurus-style before I could even get a second hit in.

There are some areas in the Forest of Giants that I've not yet fully explored cause I got sick of it which is why I went to Heide's Tower instead. I ran past most enemies here to be honest but it got me to NMW so that's fine. I'm essentially stuck in both these areas at the moment, I guess. Not sure if there's anywhere else I could go to - maybe I'll try the pit in Majula.

The worst thing is that I just have not found a weapon I like yet. With DS:R I knew the Catch Pole was ~the one~ the moment I got my hands on it. Here I'm just floundering. I got my stats up to properly wield the Grand Lance but it's a really tricky one, I dunno about it. Falchion and shield? Eh.

Compared to DS:R I'm finding DS2 to be a real slow-burner. It's getting there, though, slowly. I think.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ciaphas posted:

I've actually played a bit of the first game - and I got bored from the stealthy non-lethal gameplay :v: At the time I resisted going lethal, because ????? hosed if I know, but it really bugged me to get spotted, so I'd quick-load a lot. So, yeah, all boring stealth.

Not as bothered by bricking stealth in games nowadays, I think, so maybe it'll work itself out this time with murder
There's a reason I made it a policy to butt into every Dishonored 1 discussion with "You have a LOT of leeway in terms of killing people before you go into "High Chaos". Don't be afraid of going loud once in a while and don't reach for the reload button every time you're caught while sneaking around".

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Two announcements of merit from a Japanese 10th Anniversary livestream PLAYISM did:

La Mulana 2 is getting DLC with The Tower of Oannes bringing Hell Temple-levels of thunder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFEUZt4jzw

Gnosia, which as I understand it is basically Single Player Visual Novel Among Us, is coming to Steam after successful runs on Vita and Switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4YhFQer8YE

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Glare Seethe posted:

Coming back to this post after putting in a good six hours today, and I'm finding these points to be true. So far I really, really like the environments. Majula sets the tone but there are some gorgeous vistas elsewhere as well - Heide's Tower is the obvious one. And I dig No-man's Wharf a lot even though it feels a little like Blighttown (Reprise), and it's a little hellish trying to go deeper here.

I've done two bosses thus far. Last Giant was a a bit of a shrug and Dragonrider fell off Taurus-style before I could even get a second hit in.

There are some areas in the Forest of Giants that I've not yet fully explored cause I got sick of it which is why I went to Heide's Tower instead. I ran past most enemies here to be honest but it got me to NMW so that's fine. I'm essentially stuck in both these areas at the moment, I guess. Not sure if there's anywhere else I could go to - maybe I'll try the pit in Majula.

The worst thing is that I just have not found a weapon I like yet. With DS:R I knew the Catch Pole was ~the one~ the moment I got my hands on it. Here I'm just floundering. I got my stats up to properly wield the Grand Lance but it's a really tricky one, I dunno about it. Falchion and shield? Eh.

Compared to DS:R I'm finding DS2 to be a real slow-burner. It's getting there, though, slowly. I think.

Man, the Wharf is one of my favorite areas in DS2, it's so different from most of what you see in those games. It's not the Blighttown of this game, though, that's not until a while later. You'll know it when you see it.

My favorite weapon in DS2, early on, was the basic hand axe. I think there was one you get in the wharf called like the bandit's axe? I remember using that until I could get some fancy boss weapons later on.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Something DS2 never tells you is that it has a series-unique mechanic where you can get into a special stance with new animations by dual wielding certain weapons, meet a certain threshold of strength and dex and then holding the two-hand-weapon button down. That might be something to check out, since it's not in any of the other games, especially if you're still looking for your weapon of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

It's worth spending a few minutes playing with the first ultra greatsword-type weapon you find, since they have a fairly unique implementation in DS2. I personally found it awkward and weird, but I know some people love how it feels.

Fist weapons are probably more viable in 2 than any other game in the series, but they're still kind of a weird, gimmick-y build.

I remember playing with spears a lot, but I think that was mainly because hitting walls absolutely obliterates your weapon in 2.