Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Pretty sure pistol grip is from the Cata+ mod though, a folding stock is the best you'd get in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Iirc you can also cut down the stock on some guns with the hacksaw so it might work there too? Wanna say a double barrel can fit into a large pistol holster with cut stock&barrel

Never tried it myself so lol I will once I find a 50. rifle

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A sawn off Saiga used to be the top tier hold out weapon of choice.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Do labs have turrets at the entrance when you bust in instead of using a science ID? I think I never had to do that but yeah my current game has given me zero science ID cards

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think regular labs have a turret even if you enter using a science ID.

Speaking of labs, I am tempted to learn how to make a mod just to replace the newer labs with old science labs. They are nearly useless except for getting hydrogen canisters.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I got fairly well into a game with the Dark Skies Above mod before realizing it seems to have removed all other monster types. Is there a way to get other types of monsters/ regular zombies to spawn as well in my existing game?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of labs, I am tempted to learn how to make a mod just to replace the newer labs with old science labs. They are nearly useless except for getting hydrogen canisters.
Yeah not really a fan myself. I mean the number of enemies is kinda fun if you got an m249 and a few belts to burn but the chem themed loot is mostly useless and boring. You can score a few CBMs or other choice items but it's not really worth compared to the effort&risk of clearing the place

Also, TIL that you can use the vibrator to quickly recover mood&focus during long reading sessions. How did I not learn this sooner wth

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah not really a fan myself. I mean the number of enemies is kinda fun if you got an m249 and a few belts to burn but the chem themed loot is mostly useless and boring. You can score a few CBMs or other choice items but it's not really worth compared to the effort&risk of clearing the place

Also, TIL that you can use the vibrator to quickly recover mood&focus during long reading sessions. How did I not learn this sooner wth

Mp3 players are generally better because they provide the mood boost and resultant focus boost throughout/while you are doing an activity so you don't have to stop.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alternately, a harmonica; that doesn't even need batteries.

v: Yeah, a harmonica with a holder can be played while doing other stuff, but you're right that it produces noise, if you're somewhere where that's a factor.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 13, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

megane posted:

Alternately, a harmonica; that doesn't even need batteries.

Very true but batteries are one of those "limited" resources which are actually so ever present and available that you can go like 3 in game days and have more light batteries then you will ever need. Toss a solar panel, a box and a recharging station on a bike frame or shopping cart and you just need to grab a bulk load of batteries whenever you need them.

But yes a harmonica with a holder (I imagine this lets you play constantly, never tried it though) would work more efficiently, though you would be producing noise as you read which could be bad.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Mp3 players are generally better because they provide the mood boost and resultant focus boost throughout/while you are doing an activity so you don't have to stop.
The Mp3 player is almost constantly on in my games. But if you for example read a book with -1 joy then it will eventually negate the buff and books with more negative joy can push you into negative mood after a few hours. And focus depletes naturally when you read a bunch so quickly restoring it has value there. Just use the vibrator like twice after a few hours of reading and you're right back in the gains

Never tried a harmonica myself so I'm gonna keep an eye out for one

E:stepped down into the first lab of the run and found a slightly damaged mini nuke on the floor after a few steps....not feeling good about this one

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 13, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kaewan posted:

I got fairly well into a game with the Dark Skies Above mod before realizing it seems to have removed all other monster types. Is there a way to get other types of monsters/ regular zombies to spawn as well in my existing game?
How is Dark Skies Above, anyway? It looked like a huge change but I wasn't sure how fleshed out it was.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

How is Dark Skies Above, anyway? It looked like a huge change but I wasn't sure how fleshed out it was.

I just double checked the github and the mod files because I was thinking I hadn't seen the stuff yet but there are no recipes for any of the materials you get. So basically the only thing in the game are the new monsters and some new items, thats about it.

Theres maybe 10 new "useful" items but they are meh because they are really only there for you to break down and make human adapated alien tech with, which you cant yet.

I dunno just seems odd to me that you spend a bunch of time making new branded canned food items and flyers advertising it but literally do not add a single reverse engineered item in the game mod you are basing off of xcom.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 14, 2021

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I haven’t played CDDA since 0.E so I’m not 100% sure what’s new or just the Dark Skies Above mod. I dig that there’s a ton of derelict buildings and half destroyed houses from what appears to be meteor strikes. Nothings as pristine as it seemed to be before.

I have my city size set to 12 and spacing to 12 as well but haven’t seen anything significant other than the small town I started in. This is despite having driven a few real world hours. So I actually haven’t seen to much if any of the content. Supposedly there’s new quests and such but I haven’t seen any NPCs yet.

The monster types don’t seem to be that different. I assumed since they were aliens I wouldn’t have to pulp corpses but nope they raise just like normal. I also set my monster evolution a bit lower cause I never liked seeing a dissoluted devourer after what felt like right off the bat.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kaewan posted:

I haven’t played CDDA since 0.E so I’m not 100% sure what’s new or just the Dark Skies Above mod. I dig that there’s a ton of derelict buildings and half destroyed houses from what appears to be meteor strikes. Nothings as pristine as it seemed to be before.

I have my city size set to 12 and spacing to 12 as well but haven’t seen anything significant other than the small town I started in. This is despite having driven a few real world hours. So I actually haven’t seen to much if any of the content. Supposedly there’s new quests and such but I haven’t seen any NPCs yet.

The monster types don’t seem to be that different. I assumed since they were aliens I wouldn’t have to pulp corpses but nope they raise just like normal. I also set my monster evolution a bit lower cause I never liked seeing a dissoluted devourer after what felt like right off the bat.

Setting your city spacing to 12 makes the distance between habitations exceedingly dramatic so the lack of ruined civilization isn't surprising.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Lesson of the day: you can kill a shoggoth with an m249 but only if you stand right next to it and spam f because any time spent on aiming will make it regen too much

Also hope that your links and casings don't land on its square :v:

Found a G80 Railgun und several mags on the first floor. No ammo or UPS which is a bummer but iirc the G80 is super rare to see in the first place

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I’ve gotten ammo and magazines a few times (and then carried them around the rest of the game JUST IN CASE).

E: My best find was some sort of combat mech that you could load into a livestock hauler. Fun fact, sorta spoilery: I thought my run was over because it shows up as a monster and I had just broken into a military bunker.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 14, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I’ve gotten ammo and magazines a few times (and then carried them around the rest of the game JUST IN CASE).

E: My best find was some sort of combat mech that you could load into a livestock hauler. Fun fact, sorta spoilery: I thought my run was over because it shows up as a monster and I had just broken into a military bunker.

The actual best mech is the fork lift one because you can use it to clear wrecks and cars off road and just haul it around with you in the live stock carrier until needed.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I actually found 20 rounds for the G80 after clearing the third armory in the lab :kiddo:

No UPS and no autoclave though

Since mechs were brought up, you hack them with the control laptop, right? I've never done it but there is an active x-02 in the finale room of my lab

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

I actually found 20 rounds for the G80 after clearing the third armory in the lab :kiddo:

No UPS and no autoclave though

Since mechs were brought up, you hack them with the control laptop, right? I've never done it but there is an active x-02 in the finale room of my lab

Think you just need to walk up to one and swipe it with the proper ID card, think its military.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Telsa Cola posted:

Think you just need to walk up to one and swipe it with the proper ID card, think its military.

Yep it's this. Also there are three variants - combat, scout, and lifter. The lifter in particular is quite useful.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah mil card worked on the exo and I got out of the lab and into a livestock carrier on the 1% battery power it has. Might get lucky and find another battery in the next lab I've scoped out and get to try the laser rifle

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I found my first G80 a few days ago in BN. Its great versus armored targets but Im hesitant to use it vs most things due to ammo scarcity. It should tear right through power armor zombies tho that were immune to my SCAR-L at least.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Think you can eventually make rebar into ammo for it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Not sure about that one since it uses H&K 12mm which can't be crafted as far as I can tell. There is a railgun CBM that you might be thinking about?

Dandywalken posted:

I found my first G80 a few days ago in BN. Its great versus armored targets but Im hesitant to use it vs most things due to ammo scarcity.
The good old RL habit of winning/dying with an inventory full of strong stuff that you never wanted to waste :v:

But yeah it makes sense for the G80 tbh. Totally hoarding my rounds until I find a military instalation I want to raid

Anyway my next lab turned out to be one of the new and cramped ones. Burned almost two belts of 5.56 just to pacify the entrance after coming down the elevator. And of course it already has kevlar hulks in early summer. Going ham with the m249 was fun but I'm not sure if I want to deal with everything else running around down there. Might just dissect all the scientists and then ignore the place.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Not sure about that one since it uses H&K 12mm which can't be crafted as far as I can tell. There is a railgun CBM that you might be thinking about?

The good old RL habit of winning/dying with an inventory full of strong stuff that you never wanted to waste :v:

But yeah it makes sense for the G80 tbh. Totally hoarding my rounds until I find a military instalation I want to raid

Anyway my next lab turned out to be one of the new and cramped ones. Burned almost two belts of 5.56 just to pacify the entrance after coming down the elevator. And of course it already has kevlar hulks in early summer. Going ham with the m249 was fun but I'm not sure if I want to deal with everything else running around down there. Might just dissect all the scientists and then ignore the place.

Ah might be railgun cbm which you can later use to craft a railgun.

If you can swing it you can get a bunch of things on the elevator with you and bring them up to the surface where a laser turret can deal with em. Bit tedious though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Funny you say that because I got a zombie scientist stuck in the elevator limbo forever. Every time I traveled between the lab and the surface I got the message that I was suddenly getting block by z scientist on the stairs but slipped past :v:

Anyway I couldn't resist the call of my inner loot-goblin and cleared the lab. What it got me was the contents of a mutagen storage and several interesting loot drops from scientists. Autoclave, some CBMs, some books I was missing and other little things. Nothing amazing but not a waste of time either I think. Two evolved mutants and the numerous security robots also did a lot of the fighting for me so it didn't take too long. The lab had a subway connection and I found a second one in there without surface access as it seems

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've fiddled around with debug mode and boats and it seems like there's actually some pretty realistic benefits for going big.

If I can find a way to turn off fatigue, I'd be tempted to write out the stats for various sizes and dimensions. Even though a big boat is heavier, less is below the waterline, which means less friction and higher efficiency.

On a related note, I've had some difficulty with using cameras to get better vision around my vehicle, often ending with me only being able to see the right side of the vehicle. Anyone know if there's a trick to getting them to work?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

On a related note, I've had some difficulty with using cameras to get better vision around my vehicle, often ending with me only being able to see the right side of the vehicle. Anyone know if there's a trick to getting them to work?

Do you have a camera display/control system installed where you're sitting and also are the cameras repaired? Other than that cameras have the same rules as you - they can't see over boards but they can see over quarterpanels. Also they are always external and can't see over roofs.

The game also gets weird about determining internal vs external as the vehicle gets bigger, so that might be something going wrong.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 16, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of security cameras, it annoys me more than it should that they don't work in the dark. My $30 wyze cam has color night vision irl. I don't think I can even find a video camera that isn't capable of ir nightvision.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've fiddled around with debug mode and boats and it seems like there's actually some pretty realistic benefits for going big.

If I can find a way to turn off fatigue, I'd be tempted to write out the stats for various sizes and dimensions. Even though a big boat is heavier, less is below the waterline, which means less friction and higher efficiency.
Is it possible to build boats with an engine or are you restricted to rowing?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

Is it possible to build boats with an engine or are you restricted to rowing?

You definitely can add an engine.

From what I can tell, engines don't connect to wheels in any way, the engine's power just gives the vehicle movement speed by being installed and fuelled/powered.

Manager Hoyden posted:

The game also gets weird about determining internal vs external as the vehicle gets bigger, so that might be something going wrong.

I think that might be it, because I can see inside the vehicle from a control panel that normally wouldn't be able to see inside that part.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Well are there "wheels " for boats outside of the oars then? :v:

If I could build a serious boat that I don't have to move myself then I would be much more inclined to do such a thing. And there are a lot of options for the engine tbh. Could even go with solar/steam if you don't want the usual

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tin Tim posted:

Well are there "wheels " for boats outside of the oars then? :v:

If I could build a serious boat that I don't have to move myself then I would be much more inclined to do such a thing. And there are a lot of options for the engine tbh. Could even go with solar/steam if you don't want the usual

Boats don't need wheels. They just need to displace enough volume.

I feel like there aren't any really good guides on how to make a boat from scratch, so give me a little time and I'll try to get some screenshots.
Are you on experimental build? That might make a difference.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Boat post!

This one was just for fun, built in debug mode to see what I could get it to do. The various chairs are to test cameras and turret control from various points. Still figuring stuff out, but I thought it was kinda neat.

No mods, just DDA and a tileset

I'm going to start with wooden frames. These take 5 planks, 20 nails each.
With better equipment, you might want to just start ripping apart cars, especially solar/electric ones.
I can go into more detail on how to get frames, but I'll presume that the reader knows how to craft stuff.

Tools required: 1 toolbox + hand drill or cordless drill, + welding goggles/mask and either an acetylene torch or an arc welder. You only need to weld one thing, so it won't take a ton of fuel.

Use construct terrain (default "*") to begin
Start Vehicle Construction: Requires 1 frame of any type nearby.
Give your boat a name, and examine it. You should enter the vehicle menu and see something like this:

Ensuring that the frame is selected, press "i," to install, then "/" to filter. type "hull" and press enter to see all the hulls. We'll need any one of these.
Carbon fiber is best I think, but you need to rip apart kayaks to get it.
I'll go with wooden boat hull for now, metal may end up easier depending on what's available for you.
Requires 20 nails, and 1 wood boat hull which we will have to craft normally.

wood boat hulls take 5 planks, 30 nails. Tools: Hammer(2) and Wood Sawing(1)

New attributes:

Now let's get some crap from a car:
You'll need Bold Turning(2)

Rem(o)ve the alternator and engine, then the gas tank.
You'll probably want two gas tanks because it has to be empty when you install.
You'll also want to remove the controls, which may require removing a security system. Try other cars if you have trouble with that.

Install controls, a wooden chair or seat, engine, vehicle tank, and hull all onto the boat.
re(f)uel the tank with gasoline.

Have to take a break, but here's a drivable minimal boat:

I'll see if I can put this on the wiki or something.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Wow, thanks for the informative boat treatise. Gonna build me that mini boat

Also I'm getting a little tired of the temp scale - wearing literally anything overheats you in the summer. When it's 67f outside.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also I'm getting a little tired of the temp scale - wearing literally anything overheats you in the summer. When it's 67f outside.
This has always been super frustrating. I don't want to turn temperature off completely but a New England summer isn't "too warm to wear a shirt".

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Manager Hoyden posted:

Wow, thanks for the informative boat treatise. Gonna build me that mini boat

I had to skip a few steps, make sure you install a battery, and an alternator is a good idea to charge the battery.

You also might need a jack to lift the engine if your strength isn't high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PSA: You can press | and choose to wait until you catch your breath. I've been holding tab until my stamina meter is full like a buffoon all this time.