Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I've been using the same pair of Sony MDR-V6 for 20 years, I've been having to wear headphones to help me sleep because my wife snores a bit. While I love the Sonys, I'd like to try something a bit different that is still over the ears but not as thick, anyone got any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Ever gave those headband style sleeping headphones a try? Not the best sound quality and isolation but if it's just for some white noise to sleep or whatever, then it might work.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Crap, I've never seen those before, I'll give one of those a try instead or rolling around and smashing a nice pair of headphones.

Still have the itch to buy a new fancy set, 20 years is a long time with the same pair.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sennheiser are selling their headphones (and soundbar) business to a hearing aid manufacturer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Another end of an era.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Could be worse. They could have sold to some PE fund that would completely gut them. At least Sonova is in another part of the audio business.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At least we still have the likes of Focal and Kennerton if we want kick-rear end high end audio.

Or Chi-fi, which is rapdily becoming best-fi. Because holy poo poo their IEMS are heavenly.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Yuns posted:

Could be worse. They could have sold to some PE fund that would completely gut them. At least Sonova is in another part of the audio business.

Yeah, honestly this might be a good thing. Sonova makes very good hearing aids and is focused on audio as science, it could have interesting implications for their product line if they aren't just going to go "we're just gonna keep selling the same stuff"

Edit: name recognition is huge too, of course a bunch of audio nerds will buy the hearing aid that says "Sennheiser" on it when they turn 70

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 8, 2021

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DancingShade posted:

Epos H3 for you and Moki Kids for the uh, kid. JB Hi-Fi can supply both.

Thanks, but the reviews I've found talk about discomfort for those with larger ears. I think my ears are not small. And I don't need a microphone. What might be a second suggestion or idea?

ExecuDork posted:

Budget - about $150-$200 Australian, so no more than about $150 USD
Source - New home desktop, no dedicated soundcard.
Isolation Requirements - Nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, full-size super-aural or full-size circumaural. Is the OP (from August 2013) still current regarding that glossary?
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones - my go-to are Sony MDR-ZX110NC noise-cancelling headphones that I bought in an airport several years ago.
Preferred Music - Rock

Should I just find a nice pair from a big brand at the top of my budget? I'm very happy with everything Sony I've owned but I know they can be a bit pricey.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Sennheiser Hd58x's are smack in the middle of that price range and sound amazing. They're open back so they leak sound but you said that's not a problem. You should definitely consider them.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

DildenAnders posted:

Sennheiser Hd58x's are smack in the middle of that price range and sound amazing. They're open back so they leak sound but you said that's not a problem. You should definitely consider them.

Yes, those look like they fit the bill nicely. Actually obtaining them seems like a problem, though - just links to "massdrop" sites (that are all expired) and other "out of stock" type listings. But Sennheiser has a great reputation, I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

EDIT: OK, wandering around the edges of the audiophile bits of the internet is tiring. But I found the Philips SHP9500 for a reasonable price and (it seems) actually available to buy in Australia. The review I linked suggests they're fine for what I want - sitting at my computer, listening to music. Does anybody have any thoughts on the lower end of Philips offerings? The comparable (?) Sennheiser, the 560S, is more than twice the price.

\/\/\/ Ah, I see. Drop seems like an odd little organisation, their blather:

quote:

Founded in 2012, Drop empowers people around the world to discover new, diverse products every day; participate in product development; and learn and share with a community 7 million strong"
raises some red flags for me.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 11, 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Yes, those look like they fit the bill nicely. Actually obtaining them seems like a problem, though - just links to "massdrop" sites (that are all expired) and other "out of stock" type listings. But Sennheiser has a great reputation, I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

Massdrop changed their name to just Drop, but for whatever reason still calls them Massdrop. https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

\/\/\/ Ah, I see. Drop seems like an odd little organisation, their blather:

raises some red flags for me.

They used to be a site where people could get together and organize group buys of stuff so they had kind of a different genesis, but theyre a legitimate place to buy from if thats your worry. Eventually they got big enough to do somewhat custom versions of things, hence the 58x and so on.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: OK, wandering around the edges of the audiophile bits of the internet is tiring. But I found the Philips SHP9500 for a reasonable price and (it seems) actually available to buy in Australia. The review I linked suggests they're fine for what I want - sitting at my computer, listening to music. Does anybody have any thoughts on the lower end of Philips offerings? The comparable (?) Sennheiser, the 560S, is more than twice the price.

SHP9500's are very very good, probably the most comfortable headphone out there because of its lightweight, no clamp force and padding and if you're OK with the cloth earpads. They're like $75 US though so make sure you're not paying too much more than that if possible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Constellation I posted:

SHP9500's are very very good, probably the most comfortable headphone out there because of its lightweight, no clamp force and padding and if you're OK with the cloth earpads. They're like $75 US though so make sure you're not paying too much more than that if possible.

Awesome. Just bought them from Amazon Australia, for only a little more than that after currency conversion and the added cost of being in Australia. Thank you.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
Hoping someone might have an idea I didn't consider before about the audio set-up when using my computer - I ended up ordering Drop's Sennheiser 6xx to replace my broken pair. I'm currently using a Behringer UMC22 as my DAC however since I also use a XLR microphone and have powered speakers plugged into its balanced TRS back outputs.

At 300ohm it doesn't seem like the cheapo Behringer DAC will drive the headphones very well however. Neither will the Focusrite Scarlett Solo's which are the most obvious upgrade.

Doing some research it seems like Moto M2s might work well (but are currently out of stock everywhere). Do I just bite the bullet and have two DACs plugged in - one for the microphone & speakers, and a DAC/amp for the headphones? Unfortunately with the speakers using the back outputs I can't just plug an amp into the DAC I already have unless I want to plug/unplug cables every time I want to switch between headphones and speakers. Whatever solution I come up with I'm hoping to keep it below $250, preferably under $200.

1mpper fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Just use line out from the dac to drive a separate headphone amp. basically anything from topping or JDS labs will do, you shouldn't have to spend more than a hundo.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Just use line out from the dac to drive a separate headphone amp. basically anything from topping or JDS labs will do, you shouldn't have to spend more than a hundo.

Is there a decent splitter to use for the line out? I'm naturally lazy and don't want to get up and plug & unplug cables every time I switch between using my speakers and the headphone amp.

e: or do you mean plug the amp into the headphone lineout? Is it just audiophile nonsense that the DAC's current amp on that lineout will affect audio quality if you hook it up that way?

1mpper fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 12, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You can split a line-out however you want, they make RCA cables that'll do it a bunch of different ways. Splitting a line level signal isn't really an issue as long as you're not doing more than a couple devices and your cable runs are reasonable.

Re-amping a headphone output is usually not a good idea due to the fact that most cheap headphone outs are pretty bad sounding at any volume, especially that behringer. It's a decent enough dac though.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
Yeah I suppose I'm just trying to wrap my head around what the cabling will be like - previously I used all balanced TRS cables (and that's what comes out of the line out for the DAC - so I'll have to convert that somehow). The powered monitors do have a RCA input too though.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You can just plug normal 1/4" TS cables in if you don't need balanced out, those jacks are meant to do either.

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004
Oh great, thank you - that's good to know. So basically, a set up like this should seem reasonable right: Behringer DAC -> TS to RCA cable -> JDS Atom Amp (headphones here) -> RCA cable from the preamp -> KRK monitors

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sounds good to me! I did pretty much the same setup with an old Presonus interface before it died, worked great.

Come to think of it, the Atom has pre-outs anyway so you don't really need the RCA splitters. Just plug your monitors into the atom outputs, that way you control the volume for both with one knob.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sounds good to me! I did pretty much the same setup with an old Presonus interface before it died, worked great.

Come to think of it, the Atom has pre-outs anyway so you don't really need the RCA splitters. Just plug your monitors into the atom outputs, that way you control the volume for both with one knob.

Yep, I have the RCA out on my Atom going to the small desktop amp for my bookshelf speakers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've got some HD6XX's for at-the-desk use, and usually the shorter cable is great for not getting in the way or tangled, but if I ever gotta step a bit away during a call I have to take off my headphones.

Are there any places that do aftermarket coiled cables for this stuff? I'm in the UK but don't mind doing international shipping.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here's an aftermarket coiled one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32980004963.html

I think the OEM coiled cable for the HD25s would also work with the HD600 series, but OEM Sennheiser parts are pricey

https://www.thedjshop.co.uk/hd-25-coiled-replacement-cable.html

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I got a pair of Hifiman HE400se a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier. For $150, if you're listening in a fairly quiet space and have adequate amplifier power available (not just the output of a phone or the equivalent) I really don't think you could do any better. The only downside is the weight but that's to be expected with headphones like these. It's incredible how fast planar magnetic technology is maturing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Quite a fan of Hifiman. Given that the Sundara is "80% of an Ananda" and the 400se is apparently pretty close to the Sundara, seems like a no brainer for value & fun to buy the HE400SE if you haven't loaded up with planars already.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Public Service Announcement:

The Meze Rai Penta is one of the worst iems i've ever heard, evoking memories of 7 year old trash chifi no-name sets. For $1100 bux this is a loving disaster no one should ever be subjected to.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Anyone got any ideas on how I can improve the comfort of the headband on my new Senn 6XX? The split headband cushion puts more weight on smaller parts of my bald head and it hurts after a while. I've never had this problem with other headphones, just this one.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I'm looking a replacement for my late Steelseries Siberia v2 headset for use with my desktop, primary uses of gaming, voice chat (using external mic now), and background music/videos/podcasts. I've been using my ATH-M50x set in the meantime but they're not as comfortable for the 2+ hours I have them on, especially if I try to wear my glasses.

The ATH-AD700x is what I'm currently considering, since reviews state that they are comfortable to wear for long periods of time and they're currently being sold in my price range of $100-150. Does anyone have experience with this set? Are there other light, comfortable headphones I should consider?

Budget -$100-150
Source - Desktop monitor
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, Circumaural
Past Headphones - Steelseries Siberia v2, ATH-M50x

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm looking a replacement for my late Steelseries Siberia v2 headset for use with my desktop, primary uses of gaming, voice chat (using external mic now), and background music/videos/podcasts. I've been using my ATH-M50x set in the meantime but they're not as comfortable for the 2+ hours I have them on, especially if I try to wear my glasses.

The ATH-AD700x is what I'm currently considering, since reviews state that they are comfortable to wear for long periods of time and they're currently being sold in my price range of $100-150. Does anyone have experience with this set? Are there other light, comfortable headphones I should consider?

Budget -$100-150
Source - Desktop monitor
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, Circumaural
Past Headphones - Steelseries Siberia v2, ATH-M50x

DT 770

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey y'all, I'm trying to figure out what type of IEM/earbud type headphones would be good for both jogging/biking around the neighborhood and the gym. Right now I just use my good ol Portapros which are good for lifting at the gym but honestly they kinda suck for jogging and are naturally unusable with a helmet on. I have an iPhone so Airpod Pros are an option, but if there are cheaper/better options around, fire away. I don't mind wired IEMS, but my research of "google it" only gave me wireless options. They definitely need to be at least sweat resistant. I could probably just take out a bud out for bike/jogging if they're super sealing, but I'd like at least some noise cancelling/transparency mode instead, while I'm not planning on riding in traffic with these in you never know.

Budget - $200??? since thats the price of on sale airpod pros??? I guess???
Source - Mostly phone
Isolation Requirements - transparency mode or similar would be a big plus
Preferred Type of Headphone - specifically IEM/earbuds
Past Headphones - Portapros

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Hello! I'm trying to get a decent pair of budget over-ear bluetooth headphones for when I'm doing chores and running errands. I was eyeballing the Vankyo C751 mostly based on price and what popped up in amazon.

Budget - Ideally 50-75 but could go higher if the jump is worth it.
Source - Galaxy S9
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think balanced. Would be using them for both music and podcasts.
Past Headphones - I haven't bought any headphones in years so not much feedback here.
Preferred Music - All over the place but good bass would be nice.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AquaticIguana posted:

Hello! I'm trying to get a decent pair of budget over-ear bluetooth headphones for when I'm doing chores and running errands. I was eyeballing the Vankyo C751 mostly based on price and what popped up in amazon.

Budget - Ideally 50-75 but could go higher if the jump is worth it.
Source - Galaxy S9
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think balanced. Would be using them for both music and podcasts.
Past Headphones - I haven't bought any headphones in years so not much feedback here.
Preferred Music - All over the place but good bass would be nice.

Don't know the Vankyo C751 specifically but after scanning the Amazon page, sure why not?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Argona posted:

Hey y'all, I'm trying to figure out what type of IEM/earbud type headphones would be good for both jogging/biking around the neighborhood and the gym. Right now I just use my good ol Portapros which are good for lifting at the gym but honestly they kinda suck for jogging and are naturally unusable with a helmet on. I have an iPhone so Airpod Pros are an option, but if there are cheaper/better options around, fire away. I don't mind wired IEMS, but my research of "google it" only gave me wireless options. They definitely need to be at least sweat resistant. I could probably just take out a bud out for bike/jogging if they're super sealing, but I'd like at least some noise cancelling/transparency mode instead, while I'm not planning on riding in traffic with these in you never know.

Budget - $200??? since thats the price of on sale airpod pros??? I guess???
Source - Mostly phone
Isolation Requirements - transparency mode or similar would be a big plus
Preferred Type of Headphone - specifically IEM/earbuds
Past Headphones - Portapros

I dont use them, but I imagine that the PowerBeats Pro (or cheaper PowerBeats) clip on earbuds would be a much better iPhone fit for running/etc.

I really like my Plantronics Backbeats, but theyre an older model and Ive heard that people dont like the newer revisions as much.

But theyre designed to be semi-open to allow good ambient sound penetration so you dont get plastered by a car that you couldnt hear.

They were $50 at Costco, I really like em. I would wear them at work/in lab when I used to do that and now I wear them at home/out and about/while exercising. When they die, Ill probably go with something made by Apple/Beats for the sake of convenience.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 21, 2021

Ophidia
Oct 20, 2012
Hi, I need to buy new headphones and I am a little bit lost.
I am not an audiophile, I don't really care about "great sound quality" because I can't really tell the difference anyway. What I want are good over-ear wireless headphones that I can connect to my linux-pc, ideally that filter out as much background noise as possible. So my most important points are:
- wireless
- over-ear
- good isolation
- works with linux

Budget - up to 300
Source - a linux ubuntu PC
Isolation Requirements - yeah, my husband sits next to me listening to stuff on the speakers, I want to filter that out as much as possible
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess?
Past Headphones - Bose SoundLink: no isolation at all; I also tried Jabra Evolve2 85: I actually love those, but they don't play well with my Linux and I feel they are unnecessarily expensive
Preferred Music - well, I dont really listen to music but rather watch TV and series etc. with my headphones

Can you recommend me something? Thank you!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Given your source is linux and I don't know of any headphones that have a linux sticker on the box (just android, ios and windows) you might have better results asking around some linux forums.

forums not forms

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 23, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DancingShade posted:

I don't know of any headphones that have a linux sticker on the box

new thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ophidia posted:

Hi, I need to buy new headphones and I am a little bit lost.
I am not an audiophile, I don't really care about "great sound quality" because I can't really tell the difference anyway. What I want are good over-ear wireless headphones that I can connect to my linux-pc, ideally that filter out as much background noise as possible. So my most important points are:
- wireless
- over-ear
- good isolation
- works with linux

Budget - up to 300
Source - a linux ubuntu PC
Isolation Requirements - yeah, my husband sits next to me listening to stuff on the speakers, I want to filter that out as much as possible
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear, wireless
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, I guess?
Past Headphones - Bose SoundLink: no isolation at all; I also tried Jabra Evolve2 85: I actually love those, but they don't play well with my Linux and I feel they are unnecessarily expensive
Preferred Music - well, I dont really listen to music but rather watch TV and series etc. with my headphones

Can you recommend me something? Thank you!

Moondrop Spark! (wireless BT and linux.. no idea)