Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lemon posted:

I finally got around to watching Paddington 2 last week after hearing how good it was for ages. I wasn't expecting to get probably the biggest laugh I've had from a movie this year at Brendan Gleeson saying "marmalade".

It's genuinely astounding to me just how good the Paddington movies are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Nihonniboku posted:

To be fair, Angelina Jolie doesn't exactly have a good track record of picking movies to star in. If I see that she's starring in something, I assume that it's probably not going to be very good.

Given that it is a Taylor Sheridan movie, I don’t blame her for picking it. Movie wise everything he has touched has been mostly gold (I haven’t watched Sicario 2), but his TV series Yellowstone is not (I like it in a guilty pleasure way). I was hoping this movie would be him getting back on track, but review wise it doesn’t look like it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Nihonniboku posted:

To be fair, Angelina Jolie doesn't exactly have a good track record of picking movies to star in. If I see that she's starring in something, I assume that it's probably not going to be very good.

Someone once quipped that she was a bonafide major movie star, who'd never done any good movies. That's celebrity, I guess

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nonathlon posted:

Someone once quipped that she was a bonafide major movie star, who'd never done any good movies. That's celebrity, I guess

This is pretty much it. I wonder if Eternals will be her first major hit, although she isn't even the lead in it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nonathlon posted:

Robert Zemeckis's Beowulf is good. :colbert:

I'd go to bat for Maleficent and Hackers too, for that matter.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nate fisher posted:

Given that it is a Taylor Sheridan movie, I don’t blame her for picking it. Movie wise everything he has touched has been mostly gold (I haven’t watched Sicario 2), but his TV series Yellowstone is not (I like it in a guilty pleasure way). I was hoping this movie would be him getting back on track, but review wise it doesn’t look like it.

Sicario 2 is very very bad. Also looking up his filmography just now I learned that he wrote the recently released Without Remorse which is also terrible. I've enjoyed a lot of his stuff but he's made more poo poo than hits in the last decade.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Can everyone please watch The Woman in the Window on Netflix and then come back and post about how terrible it is? I want to read funny thoughts on this garbage rear end movie. TIA

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
You can watch it at 1.5x speed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Timotheous Venture posted:

Can everyone please watch The Woman in the Window on Netflix and then come back and post about how terrible it is? I want to read funny thoughts on this garbage rear end movie. TIA

I just looked this up and isn't this the exact same premise as that old Jimmy Stewart film? lol

It sounds like the kind of garbage I'd enjoy so I might take you up on this.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Don't think too hard about the ending, otherwise you realize that every single person had to have been intentionally gaslighting her (including her shrink) to somehow not put together what she was telling them was happening.

I cannot believe multiple reviews were putting this in the same territory as Gone Girl.

EDIT: Like the cops theoretically would have looked around the inside of the neighbor's house and seen the blood stains, since they showed up 5 minutes after the murder.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 15, 2021

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I just looked this up and isn't this the exact same premise as that old Jimmy Stewart film? lol

Yup, pretty similar premise but you'd have to drop Hitchcock's Rear Window on its head a whole bunch of times to dumb it down to a similar quality level.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

veni veni veni posted:

By the little research I did It's based on a book that is "totally-not-the-same-I-swear"*.

* It's not even the short story the Rear Window is based on

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

New-ish A24 horror film Saint Maud is now available on Prime. You should watch it; it's real good.

Thanks for this recommendation. It was great.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Robert Zemeckis's Beowulf is good. :colbert:

I'd go to bat for Maleficent and Hackers too, for that matter.

Beowulf was really boring I thought. Honestly the movie I've sort of liked that she was in is Hackers but that's probably my late 90's nostalgia talking

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have a question, The Gifted was just added to Disney+ LatAm. Is it worth the watch?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I saw the first season and it was ok but its very "tv melodrama D team X-Men" and what you'd expect there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The first season was fine, I guess, but they'd obviously slashed the budget for season 2 so it feels like everyone is in the same 1 or 2 locations for the entire season and not a whole lot really happens and what does happen is very boring. Hell, they introduce a character whose mutant power is turning into a loving dragon who they then immediately kill off screen having never shown us the loving dragon because I assume the CGI cost too much.

I was hate watching it through the last season and wouldn't really recommend it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Hell, they introduce a character whose mutant power is turning into a loving dragon who they then immediately kill off screen having never shown us the loving dragon because I assume the CGI cost too much.
Lol that's so lame.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Are the paddingtons on streaming right now? My wife loves the character I think she would enjoy the movies

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

My fuckin lord was it bad. The editing and dialogue was so bad, I thought the whole movie must have been a dream or something because it felt to drat weird and choppy.

A MIRACLE posted:

Are the paddingtons on streaming right now? My wife loves the character I think she would enjoy the movies

Far as I can tell they are just for rent on Prime. And if anyone doesn't like those movies they're monsters.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 16, 2021

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Tainen posted:

Thanks for this recommendation. It was great.

Definitely; glad you liked it. It's a heck a debut for the director and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for whatever she does next.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My fuckin lord was it bad. The editing and dialogue was so bad, I thought the whole movie must have been a dream or something because it felt to drat weird and choppy.

When it popped up in the Netflix menu my fiancee mentioned that it was one of those filmed-years-ago-but-finally-just-released movies which is never, ever a good sign. They managed to waste a heck of a cast. Jennifer Jason Leigh had what, three lines?

thiccabod fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 16, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

Google says that it is on Hulu, and that it and the sequel have 97% and 100%, respectively, on Rotten Tomatoes. Unclear if this is a "so bad it's good" situation.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I don’t give a poo poo about the tomato website lol

They rate a bunch of movies I love at like 30%

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there's been a tiny bit of outrage a while back as Paddington 2 is now listed as better than Citizen Kane when that's obviously true. sometimes the best movie ever made turns out to be an immigration morality play about a bear and that's fine, can't really predict this poo poo

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

The Paddington movies are legitimately great and one of the rare instances where the sequel to an excellent movie is even better.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks everyone about The Gifted. Might give it a try to season 1.

Sirotan posted:

Hell, they introduce a character whose mutant power is turning into a loving dragon who they then immediately kill off screen having never shown us the loving dragon because I assume the CGI cost too much.

:catstare:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Muppets Take Manhattan is on prime and it's still just a great movie :3:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Paddington movies are legitimately great and one of the rare instances where the sequel to an excellent movie is even better.

When I heard there was a sequel my reaction was "Okay it was surprising that the first one was amazing, the second one is obviously gonna suck" and then it was somehow better.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

I got stuck in the back of a minivan watching muppets in space six times in a row last week lol

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

SirSamVimes posted:

When I heard there was a sequel my reaction was "Okay it was surprising that the first one was amazing, the second one is obviously gonna suck" and then it was somehow better.

I keep confusing Paddington with Paddleton, which was a good movie but probably shouldn't have a sequel.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

Ah, I've been waiting for that one to show up somewhere. Not sure why Disney+ doesn't have it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ah, I've been waiting for that one to show up somewhere. Not sure why Disney+ doesn't have it.

Probably because Sony owns TriStar and has the rights to that one and Muppets From Space. Same reason they had to make a special deal with Sony just to get the MCU Spidey films on + in a few years and why the MCU Hulk isn’t up either (although that’s Universal).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
How did Hulu get to make (or distribute or whatever)a show based on a marvel character? Did they write a big ole check to Disney?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Field Mousepad posted:

How did Hulu get to make (or distribute or whatever)a show based on a marvel character? Did they write a big ole check to Disney?

Disney owns 60% of hulu

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
They have full control of it and will have full ownership in a couple of years.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I did not know that. Ok makes sense then

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sirotan posted:

The first season was fine, I guess, but they'd obviously slashed the budget for season 2 so it feels like everyone is in the same 1 or 2 locations for the entire season and not a whole lot really happens and what does happen is very boring. Hell, they introduce a character whose mutant power is turning into a loving dragon who they then immediately kill off screen having never shown us the loving dragon because I assume the CGI cost too much.

I was hate watching it through the last season and wouldn't really recommend it.

She's named after Joss Whedon. It's okay for her to die.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Greenland was fine though I wish I could've been able to turn my brain off a little better. It never helps when the movie ostensibly takes place in some very geographically separated locations but was obviously mostly filmed in the same five square miles. There are some pretty cool visual bits that they spent the whole budget on. Gerard Butler is good and I always enjoy when they don't make him do an American accent or give him a contrived backstory, just let him have the voice he has. If I'd been abusing inhalants or drank precisely the correct amount of beers I would've enjoyed it much more. However, I don't regret putting it on. 2.25/4 stars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 17, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I had no idea Mare of Easttown was only 5 episodes. For a limited series, they left a lot of dangling threads. I was always more interested in Mare's personal life than the whodunnit, but you can't leave us hanging like that.

Edit: I also watched Hacks, the new show starring Jean Smart (also of Mare of Easttown), and I can't tell if it's good or if I'm just biased for my love of Jean Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Mare of Easttown has two more episodes left