Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
250 random Netflix users should have the new LDR season secretly replaced with the 1990 scifi comedy classic Spaced Invaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, turns out that Joseph "Joss" Whedon was so desperate to cling to this nickname that he now no longer can prove that he exists.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

Haha, turns out that Joseph "Joss" Whedon was so desperate to cling to this nickname that he now no longer can prove that he exists.

how do we make it so he actually does not exists?

bricks?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Speaking of Whedon, it looks to me that the claim he didn't have much to do with the production of The Nevers is bullshit. He has "directed by" credits on 3 of 5 episodes so far. Maybe he left before post-production but he was certainly there for much of the shooting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t think he left until after the first 6 episodes were in the bag

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Aardvark! posted:

Love Death Robots season 2 is out apparently. Think I might watch through tonight.

Anybody watch any yet?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884827 :) yw

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Grey Area posted:

Speaking of Whedon, it looks to me that the claim he didn't have much to do with the production of The Nevers is bullshit. He has "directed by" credits on 3 of 5 episodes so far. Maybe he left before post-production but he was certainly there for much of the shooting.

He is the creator of the show so it would have been odd for him not to be involved in the production, he left the show a few weeks before the news of his actions came out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Wasn't Joss that guy who got shot in 24 after 5 seconds of screentime?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Mare of Easttown is great. Theres a lot of attention to detail even if at all feels a little too familiar

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oasx posted:

He is the creator of the show so it would have been odd for him not to be involved in the production, he left the show a few weeks before the news of his actions came out.

I'm enjoying the show for the most part but I don't think it's actually possible to make a show about a bunch of rear end kicking steampunk women and not have Joss Wheadon's name appear in the credits without the universe collapsing in on itself.

Also I didn't know that wasn't his real name, it's like he put a fedora on a name lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a Showtime free preview weekend on YouTube TV so I burned through Moonbase 8 last night. I kinda enjoyed it? I'm not sure why it got savaged so hard be critics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
S8 E12 of Family Matters, 3J and the other foster kid are making a meal, not doing a good job. They present the Matriarch some coffee, referencing an advertising jingle related to the drink. She begins to pour herself coffee, but the fluid is thick, slow-moving, certainly unlike the average or ideal for coffee! If you listen closely, as she pours the coffee, in the audience you can hear several people exclaiming "ooo yucky!"

Anyway lmk if y'all hear anyone else in a live studio audience exclaim "ooo yucky"

bull3964 posted:

It's a Showtime free preview weekend on YouTube TV so I burned through Moonbase 8 last night. I kinda enjoyed it? I'm not sure why it got savaged so hard be critics.

I liked it too, it was a fun little show. A lot lower key than you'd expect with that cast, but that was also part of the fun for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I liked Moonbase 8 well enough. Too low-key to be a personal favourite but I’d definitely watch more if they made it. No news yet isn’t a great sign, though

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Gonz posted:

250 random Netflix users should have the new LDR season secretly replaced with the 1990 scifi comedy classic Spaced Invaders.

prepare to die, earth scum.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just watched the pilot of Girls5Eva. I definitely laughed more than I thought I would.

Their 5th member died from swimming off the end of an Infinity Pool after partying with magicians.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

"Domina" aired in the UK and it's kind of like a sequel to HBO's Rome because it starts right after Caesar's death. The costumes and sets all look great or maybe they just re-use the same stuff made for Rome. I'll take any more Ancient Rome drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5ozij5EUs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Pretty sure the Rome sets burned down

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Was Nero there?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Does it have Pullo and Vorenus though?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

IRQ posted:

I'm enjoying the show for the most part but I don't think it's actually possible to make a show about a bunch of rear end kicking steampunk women and not have Joss Wheadon's name appear in the credits without the universe collapsing in on itself.

Also I didn't know that wasn't his real name, it's like he put a fedora on a name lol

I don’t know what to think of the show. There are some interesting concepts but I have a lot of issues with it:

1) There are too many different plots going on and none of them are well developed outside of the barest of concepts. There are at least three different interesting antagonists that needed a lot more breathing room.
2) The same is true for all the characters really. Most barely have any time on screen or development.
3) So many characters and concepts are ripped from other Wheddon media.
4) It’s way too white for an alternate history fantasy London. There’s no reason for them to have such limited diversity in a show like this. The diverse characters are all secondary/minor characters there for the advancement of the white characters goals/plot.
5) Despite the overpacked plot and under developed characters, the show is very slow and boring at times. Each episode has as much plot that matters as an episode of a show with 10-20 episodes a season.

I’ll probably finish the season for some closure but I doubt I’d watch a second season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lawlicaust posted:

1) There are too many different plots going on and none of them are well developed outside of the barest of concepts

All your criticisms are valid but this one especially. The show is just way way too busy

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, wasn't Harriette's job elevator operator? The family had to know that job was on its way out.

yeah, kept around as a personal favor and then fired after asking for a raise. It was a good episode. I can relate to the scene where Rachel and the two daughters have a factory line going where one folds a letter, the second stuffs it into the envelope, and the third seals the envelope, they get into a rhythm as a "well-oiled machine", and then notice that they were supposed to be stuffing two letters in each envelope so they have to unseal them all

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I liked Moonbase 8 well enough. Too low-key to be a personal favourite but I’d definitely watch more if they made it. No news yet isn’t a great sign, though

It took two and a half years after filming concluded for them to finally air it on Showtime. So if they do commission a second season I imagine it's not something they could just jump into at this point but would have to work to get schedules for everyone back together and sets remade. Tim Heidecker seems to be really into doing another season, though.

bull3964 posted:

Was it savaged? I know it didn't light anyone's world on fire but it at least seemed to get a consensus of "fine, and better than Space Force."

Azhais posted:

Pretty sure the Rome sets burned down

Wasn't it only part of the set? They still managed to film the Doctor Who Pompeii episode there afterwards.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, has about 60% for both critics and audience on RT. I enjoyed it more than that, but I can understand those scores.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think people were expecting Moonbase 8 to be wackier that it was. The scene where the astronauts play the board game is about as wacky as it gets.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

All your criticisms are valid but this one especially. The show is just way way too busy

I expect hbo will do this with a lot of shows in the wake of GoT.

Maybe it hasn't bothered me that much because I had pretty low expectations going into it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That didn't really bother me either. I do think the last 3 episodes are much better than the first few. But I also think about Dollhouse and how much better it got later. Not sure if that'll be the case now though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently Discovery and WarnerMedia may merge very soon?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/16/att-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-warnermedia-with-discovery.html

I'm guessing Discovery+ ain't doing so hot then?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bull3964 posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/16/att-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-warnermedia-with-discovery.html

they launched it without their flagship show, chopped, and im still mad

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It took me a while but Ted Lasso finally sucked me in and makes me laugh delightedly at least twice an episode. Also I really want some shortbread

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

they launched it without their flagship show, chopped, and im still mad

Yeah, this was crazy for me. They even have a page for Chopped... with nothing in it. Just salt in the wound, really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm watching the Netflix Sons of Sam docuseries and it is straight up NONSENSE.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So it's an average docuseries about a serial killer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They posit this whole grand conspiracy of a Satanic cult being behind the Son of Sam killings with nothing but coincidences and conjecture.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Well those are types of evidence!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Hughmoris posted:

Just watched the pilot of Girls5Eva. I definitely laughed more than I thought I would.

Their 5th member died from swimming off the end of an Infinity Pool after partying with magicians.

For some reason I thought it was dropping weekly. Watched half the season tonight. The writing is extremely 30 Rock and Renee Elise Goldsberry is so loving funny.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shneak posted:

For some reason I thought it was dropping weekly. Watched half the season tonight. The writing is extremely 30 Rock and Renee Elise Goldsberry is so loving funny.

The joke cadence felt extremely familiar. Looked up the show and was not at all surprised to see Tina Fey touching it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

If all the Disco poo poo went to HboMax I would probably sub to it, there's lots of disco content my wife misses since it left hulu.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Yeah she kinda dominates. Has Jane Krakowski's flair for the absurd.

"As well as my love of all things humor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

To be fair, I think it's more a biography of the journalist guy and his spiral down the satanism hole than anything else.