Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/adam3us/status/1393741005996924929

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
don't give the muck ideas

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

it's literally just calculating sha-256 over and over again with different seed values, right? an operation explicitly designed to be quick and easy to perform?

uh no it's calculating double sha-256

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

catspleen posted:

I thought I had signatures turned off but xlol puts his under every single one of his posts.

:nice:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
elong musk is really missing a trick here, he should create his own cryptocurrency. elonbucks

actually. i bet there is already eloncoin, muskcoin etc. doesn't matter. he should reuse the name of one that already exists, and get some nerds mad as hell about it. very on brand.

then a week later tweet that it sucks and he hates it now

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

elong musk is really missing a trick here, he should create his own cryptocurrency. elonbucks

actually. i bet there is already eloncoin, muskcoin etc. doesn't matter. he should reuse the name of one that already exists, and get some nerds mad as hell about it. very on brand.

Can't find the original tweet but it's called "emerald" - just google "elon musk emerald mining".

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

gschmidl posted:

Can't find the original tweet but it's called "emerald" - just google "elon musk emerald mining".

idk if it's the joke, but all i get is stuff about his family owning an emerald mine, which i knew already

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

idk if it's the joke, but all i get is stuff about his family owning an emerald mine, which i knew already

Yeah, the tweet is to troll people into learning about that.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Hammerite posted:

I really thought that was where he was going with that bitcoin energy tweet. It would be an exceptional grift to pair with his solar panels and I bet he could convince some rubes to run mining off batteries. Go full musk and create proof-of-satellite or something. You would think musk of all people could crash something but he can't even do that properly.

All I want is for ol musky to destroy crypto before firing himself into the sun so laughs can be had by all. :sigh:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

either that or they think that making a coin must be so hard and complicated that you have to be super smart and think about it really hard for a long time before doing it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1393749019478970368

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

he is both correct and incorrect. the pain to "create" another doge is in the brand identity, awareness, install base, etc.

he's a marketing guy, so he understands this. but he's a marketing guy with a frankly frightening cult of personality that would make it trivial to bootstrap

and then there's the conditional: "if" it can't be done with doge. it can't be done with any cryptocurrency, because distributed consensus is wasteful by nature, so solving these problems is in fact insurmountable, not just a big pain

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

remember when he said he was "working with" Doge devs to improve it? (ie make it make him more money while still being totally unbounded power consumption) are there any devs other than the one guy who was like "i made it in 2 hours as a joke"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

does dog coin even have a chief scientist?!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

does dog coin even have a chief scientist?!
its called a "cyber baron" now, get with the times

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

oh, I get it now

https://twitter.com/hiddin2urleft/status/1393764211172409346

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I believe in posting immutability.

https://pastebin.com/d0GmDSCk

Stop editing your goddamn posts xtal.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Turns out the real tethers were the loans they made along the way

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: removed antivirus test file

xtal fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 16, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

xtal posted:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

:same: but unironically

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

G'luck my posting frend.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1393993975019749382

when he's right he's right

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I believe in posting immutability.

https://pastebin.com/d0GmDSCk

Stop editing your goddamn posts xtal.

finally, the postchain lives

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.rekt.news/value-rekt2/

quote:

When we first covered Value in November of 2020, they had just lost $7,000,000 after bragging about their “flash loan protection”.

Back then we learned that Value DeFi did not really know flash loan. Now they have lost another $10,000,000, and we find out that Value DeFi do not really know copy paste either, as they report the exploit was made possible due to losing a line of code by “human error”

quote:

The affected pool contract had an initialize() function that should have been activated after deployment.

The line: initialized = true; is missing from the function.

This meant anyone could re-initialize the pool and set themself as owner, thereby taking full control. As owner, the exploiter used the governanceRecoverUnsupported(), which is used for recovering pool funds in the event of a bug or undesired event.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

codeislaw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so it seems to me like what elon's doing is:

- buying bitcoin
- pumping up the value by telling everyone how great it is
- selling bitcoin
- crashing the value by telling everyone he's over it
- rinse and repeat

yes?

this is very illegal, yes?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It'd be highly illegal if bitcoin were a security.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
technically I don't think the laws that make doing so with actual securities like stocks cover butts so no, but in spirit and in practice yes

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Sagebrush posted:

- buying bitcoin
- selling bitcoin
- rinse and repeat

yes?

Only if you do not have the influence and power of eternal immortal god emperor prodigy elon musk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

:hmmyes:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

S-M-R-T contracts strike again

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

- buying bitcoin
- selling bitcoin
- rinse and repeat

yes?

if we see him go pro-bitcoin again then probably, yes.

if not, it seems more like he's setting himself up to be in some kind of controlling position of another coin that he hopes will take dominance.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hi im elom nusk, here to give you an exciting investment opportunity! I am creating my own krypt-o-coin called musk eggs. each musk egg is personally birthed by me, elon msuk. doctors advise me that a healthy musk can only hope to safely birth 21 million musk eggs in their life time, so get yours quickly! simply send any amount of tethers, bit-coins, or dogs to me and I will send you an equivalent amount of my unfertalised offspring!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

*attempting to fertilise a musk egg and birth a new musk is a breach of the terms and conditions, and many international treaties and will be punished as a capital crime

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Boxturret posted:

hi im elom nusk, here to give you an exciting investment opportunity! I am creating my own krypt-o-coin called musk eggs. each musk egg is personally birthed by me, elon msuk. doctors advise me that a healthy musk can only hope to safely birth 21 million musk eggs in their life time, so get yours quickly! simply send any amount of tethers, bit-coins, or dogs to me and I will send you an equivalent amount of my unfertalised offspring!

On behalf of Mr nusk we are giveaway, for a limited time you can send up to 2 nusk eggs to adress DEADBEEF and recieve 2x nusk eggs back Limited time.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i think i'm mining etherium. i just minted a coin and a bunch of gas came out

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Boxturret posted:

*attempting to fertilise a musk egg and birth a new musk is a breach of the terms and conditions, and many international treaties and will be punished as a capital crime
that explains why musk uses intermediaries instead of doing it himself

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sagebrush posted:

it's literally just calculating sha-256 over and over again with different seed values, right? an operation explicitly designed to be quick and easy to perform?

Yeah, as far as I (a non-math hobbyist) can remember off the top of my head. Like calculating digits of Pi: people have been doing it for hundreds of years by hand, but even the numbers we’re capable of with a modern computer doesn’t mean the computation is more difficult, just faster. Bitcoin’s hashes are easy if you’ve been exposed to it, but even with my 1998 TI-89 I can’t do billions of problems per second 🤪. coiners act like they are calculating Navier-Stokes a billion guesses at a time. An engineering friend said that if it actually was a “difficult math problem,” you couldn’t very well do a billion of them a second.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I think subconsciously the technology-touching son of a mining baron is highly offended by even the thought of cryptocurrencies. If you (or your family) built up a business that produces something real in the physical world that has to be cared for and maintained (like an emerald mine or even a software product), something based on nothing but air (the “coins,” not the software) being a person whose family money was made before it came out would respect bits slightly less than WoW gold (even though illicit, it is still useful at its function as a currency instead of a “commodity”) or even literal Monopoly money. He sees a weakness to exploit and bring it down, with the added bonus of making his fortune even bigger at the same time!

Even Facebook has a product: Data to be used and sold. Bitcoin and alts produce nothing but pollution and don’t even count enough to be Filthy Fiat because there is not even a Swiss Guard sized army to back it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, as far as I (a non-math hobbyist) can remember off the top of my head. Like calculating digits of Pi: people have been doing it for hundreds of years by hand, but even the numbers we’re capable of with a modern computer doesn’t mean the computation is more difficult, just faster. Bitcoin’s hashes are easy if you’ve been exposed to it, but even with my 1998 TI-89 I can’t do billions of problems per second 🤪. coiners act like they are calculating Navier-Stokes a billion guesses at a time. An engineering friend said that if it actually was a “difficult math problem,” you couldn’t very well do a billion of them a second.

the only way that framing ever made sense to me is that the "problem" they're solving is actually reversing the hash, which is so hard as to actually be impossible

but the method they use is guess and check, which is stupid as gently caress and totally unimpressive, so in true bitcoiner fashion, they leave that part out and just say the "debatably technically true" part to sound cool, when in fact their approach completely invalidates the claim to any kind of accomplishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/macrocephalopod/status/1393665603496554498