Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

I guess nobody’s all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Tankakern posted:

no it doesn't

you should always choose btrfs before zfs if you're on linux

no self harm requests in yospos

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

I guess nobody’s all bad

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just ranting for a minute. It's taken me half an hour to burn an SD card because once the partition table is written, GNOME auto-mounts the disk while it's still in the process of being written, resulting in reliable data corruption. The only way to disable this is to install dconf-editor and change a registry setting. Why is this controlled by a registry setting and why do you need to install a separate program to edit your registry to begin with??

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
It might not be exactly what you're looking for but have you tried Balena Etcher by George R. R. Martin

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i agree, auto mount by default is stupid as hell

~gnome~ i guess

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Dont Touch ME posted:

You've been gnomed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

xtal posted:

Just ranting for a minute. It's taken me half an hour to burn an SD card because once the partition table is written, GNOME auto-mounts the disk while it's still in the process of being written, resulting in reliable data corruption. The only way to disable this is to install dconf-editor and change a registry setting. Why is this controlled by a registry setting and why do you need to install a separate program to edit your registry to begin with??

you don’t need a separate program if you use the cli, and it’s controlled that way because the gnome devs hate you.

see also: it is no longer possible to set a loving solid color desktop background without using an image or editing dconf. this is because when the cadt rewrote the background settings pane they didn’t bother exposing that in the gui because they knew nobody used it, and they knew nobody used it because they collect telemetry they did market research they looked at what the competition was doing they asked a bunch of their mates and nobody thought it sounded worth the effort

yes that is really what they do

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

xtal posted:

because Windows was very popular so if Linux can be made to work like Windows it too will be popular

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

xtal posted:

whatever happened to just pointing dd at a device and hoping for the best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

because Windows was very popular so if Linux can be made to work like Windows it too will be popular

windows lets you set a solid colour background though

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Did gnome end up sticking with the whole "no desktop icons because we have PRINCIPLES" thing or have they done the inevitable backtracking on that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Did gnome end up sticking with the whole "no desktop icons because we have PRINCIPLES" thing or have they done the inevitable backtracking on that

in gnome 3 you have to run a command to modify the gnome settings registry to enable desktop icons

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

Just ranting for a minute. It's taken me half an hour to burn an SD card because once the partition table is written, GNOME auto-mounts the disk while it's still in the process of being written, resulting in reliable data corruption

This is why I use tac to write the SD card in reverse

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

in gnome 3 you have to run a command to modify the gnome settings registry to enable desktop icons

Man. Does anyone itt actually use gnome?
At this point xfce is the only desktop environment that actually feels solid and stays out of my way.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

shoeberto posted:

Man. Does anyone itt actually use gnome?
At this point xfce is the only desktop environment that actually feels solid and stays out of my way.

i still use mate on my token linux, which is basically gnome 2 as you remember it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cinnamon is a gnome 3 fork that adds back in all the conventional desktop paradigm bits people expect their shell to actually have. it's deece.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Ok, yeah that's about what I expected to hear. I remember hearing when Ubuntu dropped Unity they were going to ship Gnome instead but tweak it to be normal and sane too.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I use the gnome desktop fork on ubuntu and the desktop icons integration is trash. If I want to actually do desktop file stuff with the gui, I open a nautilus window to the desktop.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Command line is sufficient for most things. But it gets annoying when I have to use mtp to pull things off my phone, and I don't care enough about gvfs to try to learn those command line tools.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xtal posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? I burn sdcards literally every day and not once has gnome auto mounted the cards while dd is running.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe you changed the default since you do it every day?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xtal posted:

Maybe you changed the default since you do it every day?

Nope. Completely fresh installs. Dd doesn't run partprobe, so there's nothing for udev to pick up because the kernel hasn't refreshed the partition maps.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like linux op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I sleep in a big BSD with my wife

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I burn sdcards literally every day

presumably you sinned badly in a past life.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

presumably you sinned badly in a past life.

Nah. Well, probably. I do embedded Linux work. :v:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Gentle Autist posted:

i like linux op

it has its moments

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Nope. Completely fresh installs. Dd doesn't run partprobe, so there's nothing for udev to pick up because the kernel hasn't refreshed the partition maps.

hmmmm

i think you are wrong on this, maybe it works for you because your distro has changed the default or something.

in kde you'll often get the popup with the newly dd'ed device right after dd has finished, but of course that's ok because there's no auto mounting. it will also work that way in gnome if you change that default in dconf as mentioned.

there must be something like an udev event firing so it refreshes the partition table. maybe it's an inotify thing that kde does, i don't know.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Plasma does the Right Thing by default, as always.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

hmmmm

i think you are wrong on this, maybe it works for you because your distro has changed the default or something.

in kde you'll often get the popup with the newly dd'ed device right after dd has finished, but of course that's ok because there's no auto mounting. it will also work that way in gnome if you change that default in dconf as mentioned.

there must be something like an udev event firing so it refreshes the partition table. maybe it's an inotify thing that kde does, i don't know.

Stock Fedora 34 on my work laptop, Stock ubuntu 21.04 on my Workstation at home. Both running gnome. Neither do this.

Edit*

Neither Buildroot nor yocto do this either.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
install the gnome tweak tool and uncheck the "gently caress everything up" box

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this just uninstalls gnome

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gnome tweak tool demonstrates that linux on the desktop in 2021 has reached the technical competency level of PowerToys for Windows 95

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i just use xfce which is very needs-suiting and consistent

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

psiox posted:

i just use xfce which is very needs-suiting and consistent

Same
It's not perfect but it's fine.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i like using dwm cause i can cause seg faults w my janky stack of patches

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i like minimal wms but tiling wms make no sense to me

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
most tiling wms have some sort of "no layout" mode if you are hankering for an ugly pile of randomly sized windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've already set my wallpaper to groverhaus