Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Sounds like it to me! :3: Babies, especially when they're still small, can move around a lot so the sensation can be anywhere in the abdomen. Savor the cute little flutters, it'll be full-on kicks to the ribs before you know it!

Ha, can't wait... A friend was saying one of the reasons the third trimester was best for her was because she was too big for the baby to hit her ribs anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
My son spent his third trimester with his rear end under the right side of my ribcage, I was constantly trying to shove him down to no avail. My stretch marks follow the line of where his spine ran down the right hand side of my abdomen.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Emily Spinach posted:

So everything I've read says that when you first feel the baby start to move, it can feel like fluttering or tickling. Other than "the abdomen," can the location of the sensation be narrowed down more? Off and on for the past few days, I've been feeling a light sensation, which I would call fluttering or tickling, around my belly. It sort of feels like it's in the skin, like not on the surface but maybe an inch or two deep? Does that sound about right? Fwiw I'm at 16 weeks 4 days, which might be a bit early for quickening in a first pregnancy, idk.

It feels like the area where you can sometimes feel gas bubbles in your intestines. So like, just under your belly button? It felt like a goldfish touching the side of a bag of water to me, only I'm the bag. Lol. It was hard for me to tell apart GI gurgling and early movement.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 22, 2021

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Tamarillo posted:

My son spent his third trimester with his rear end under the right side of my ribcage, I was constantly trying to shove him down to no avail. My stretch marks follow the line of where his spine ran down the right hand side of my abdomen.

Mind spent the last trimester with a foot jammed towards my left lung. It was especially alarming when I realized it was far enough up that the epidural didn't quite reach that far during labor. When he was born, I told him "well at least you're kicking me from the outside now."

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

marchantia posted:

It feels like the area where you can sometimes feel gas bubbles in your intestines. So like, just under your belly button? It felt like a goldfish touching the side of a bag of water to me, only I'm the bag. Lol. It was hard for me to tell apart GI gurgling and early movement.

Same here, I thought I was just super gassy at the beginning. Later on it becomes discreet movements.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Yeah the best I can describe those early movements was like a bubbling? Sort of like a lava lamp inside.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

remigious posted:

Yeah the best I can describe those early movements was like a bubbling? Sort of like a lava lamp inside.

Yeah, it's akin to the feeling of "oh god, I'm going to have terrible diarrhea in about thirty minutes."

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Hm, this doesn't feel quite as forceful as gas--it's much lighter. It hasn't gone away though, although it's still off and on.

Also, for folks still thinking about the covid vaccine, preliminary results released today of a study reviewing about 2.5 months of early data from the vsafe and vaers registries doesn't show any increased risk of adverse effects.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
And with that, another successful embryo transfer. We lucked out needing IVF in the first place but poo poo we've had good luck with how much treatment we've needed. Obviously still very early days and lots than can go wrong but we're doing very well to get two pregnancies from two transfers from one cycle.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Tamarillo posted:

And with that, another successful embryo transfer. We lucked out needing IVF in the first place but poo poo we've had good luck with how much treatment we've needed. Obviously still very early days and lots than can go wrong but we're doing very well to get two pregnancies from two transfers from one cycle.

Good luck and glad to hear it's going well for you so far. Fingers crossed.

At 36 wk today. I went in to see the doctor and I am apparently 1 cm dilated so... This could happen sooner than planned. Hoping to just at least make it to 37 wk. Still so much I need to do!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

hallo spacedog posted:

Good luck and glad to hear it's going well for you so far. Fingers crossed.

At 36 wk today. I went in to see the doctor and I am apparently 1 cm dilated so... This could happen sooner than planned. Hoping to just at least make it to 37 wk. Still so much I need to do!

I was 1cm dilated with my first baby for several weeks. It doesn’t necessarily mean the baby will come early, but you should probably do all your things anyway!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Koivunen posted:

I was 1cm dilated with my first baby for several weeks. It doesn’t necessarily mean the baby will come early, but you should probably do all your things anyway!

Good to know, the doctor was just like... well it doesn't mean you are ready to go right away but it also doesn't mean you aren't!

We are prepping the go bag for the hospital this week and trying to get the last few things (car seat installation, set up bassinet/pack n play) and then we should be as ready as we can be.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

hallo spacedog posted:

well it doesn't mean you are ready to go right away but it also doesn't mean you aren't!

pregnancy, weeks 36-41

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

BadSamaritan posted:

pregnancy, weeks 36-41

Seems like it... I am kinda hoping to go next week honestly because currently the things I can comfortably do in my day to day life are... "Sit down for a little bit until I become dizzy," and "lay on my side." Luckily I am healthy, baby seems healthy but boy am I tired of being unable to do literally anything.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I am in a weird and anxious situation right now that I am not totally sure what to do about. I am 37 wk 3 days today. Big wall of text incoming but I am freaking out a little right now and not totally sure what to even do.
On Monday I saw my OBGYN, all signs and vitals were good but I was a bit exhausted because of my 2nd covid shot.

Monday night we had no AC and it was extremely hot in the house. I was very itchy, I get itchy from time to time all over my legs, mostly on the lower leg but also near the thighs as well. I realized it could be the heat but nothing helped. I looked online and read about cholestasis of pregnancy. Talked to the nurses line. One of the things that stuck out to me was I have this mostly benign thing called Gilbert syndrome that effects the amount of bilirubin in my body so it stuck out to me. Eventually fell asleep around 4.

My doctor called Tues morning and sounded very concerned. She told me I should get in contact with the appointment line and make an in person or virtual appt for as soon as possible as she was out of the office for the next week. That I should ask about getting labs, and said the enzyme test would take a day but the bile acid test would take longer, and I should ask the doctor that saw me about whether they should put me on further monitoring or should they induce me in the meantime while waiting on the bile acid test. She really did seem concerned but I can't talk to her right now because like I mentioned she is not available until next Monday.

Anyway, I got to speak to the Dr Tuesday around 1:30. The baby had been moving fine in the am based on my kick count. The doctor I spoke to was much less concerned sounding because I didn't really feel like I had itching in my hands and feet, mostly on my legs. She said they definitely do not want to induce without some kind of proof there is an issue. I went in for the test and for monitoring. The monitoring went great and baby was fine so I was relieved. Still itchy and a bit stressed last night but took some benadryl.

I got back the enzyme test in the AM, one of the enzymes seemed elevated a little but the doctor who I saw seemed to feel it was totally ok. I have been paying attention all day today and baby was active at the normal active times. However the baby has quieted down late in the evening and I haven't felt much kicking. I am still very itchy and now I am worried I feel it in my hands and feet but that could also be psychosomatic. I know the bile acid test won't be back for a few more days but I am so anxious and on edge I don't know what to do or even what I should be doing. Should I be more actively trying to get further monitoring? How often should I be doing kick counts etc...? Should I assume the ones from earlier are fine or should I be panicked because I haven't felt much movement late tonight? My healthcare system has an urgent care unit, I don't know if I should be driving over there right now to ask them to do more monitoring or if it really is safe and okay to just wait the next few days. I am just agonizing about this issue since I know it can cause late term stillbirth and I feel caught in between differing opinions. I don't want to be so passive about it that I let something bad happen but it seems like there's nothing to do but wait the 4-5 days this test takes to get results.

I guess if anyone has any thoughts or experience in this area please let me know, I am freaking out a little right now.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Oh dear, that sounds rough :( I have no advice for the medical side of things, but during my bog-standard pregnancy there were definitely periods of time where my baby was less active because she was asleep. Maybe eat something sweet to see if the sugar rush wakes them up?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Oh dear, that sounds rough :( I have no advice for the medical side of things, but during my bog-standard pregnancy there were definitely periods of time where my baby was less active because she was asleep. Maybe eat something sweet to see if the sugar rush wakes them up?

I did have some fruit and yogurt and was able to get about 10 + movements in a couple of minutes span so I feel a bit relieved about that. Just not sure if I am doing enough right now or if I should be insisting on more ... More of what exactly I'm not totally sure.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you it's definitely reassuring your baby responded to the sugar test. I was induced at 37+1 because my baby wasn't moving very much and he did NOT respond to drinking orange juice or anything sweet. (He was born totally healthy and fine and we still don't know why he mostly stopped moving, but I did my own sugar test at home and then they gave me more juice at the hospital and he didn't respond either time. It wasn't an emergency but I agreed with being induced for peace of mind.)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It has been super nerve wracking but luckily I am going in for more monitoring today. The baby does continue to respond each time I eat food so like you said that continues to be reassuring as well. The nurses and doctors I have spoken to all say to keep focused on doing the kick counts for now.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
It’s so hard because you feel like you’re overreacting but at the same time your brain goes through all the what ifs. With my first I had an anterior placenta so what I felt the first time was muffled anyway. I went in for monitoring and she woke up to have a party, very reassuring. I hope the same thing happens for you.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Exactly! The second round of monitoring went really well so that's reassuring - on that end everything seems good for now. We are just waiting on the results of the bile acid tests which could come over the weekend to see if I need to be induced. I guess the scariest part is I have no conception of how fast something could go from great and fine to totally hosed up.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Happy Mother's Day to moms and moms to be.

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017
Anyone know a good app for tracking calories and macronutrients that isn't entirely weight loss geared? I was using LoseIt! for a diet before my tests started coming back positive, but it doesn't want to let me input a specific maintenance calorie goal that I can adjust by trimester. I know I could keep using LoseIt! but all the red bars from "overeating" make me sad...

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
MyFitnessPal has a "Maintain weight" option so it doesn't post updates on your feed every time you lose weight.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Morning sickness started at 5.5 weeks. Where is the justice in the world? RIP my next 8 weeks.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Tamarillo posted:

Morning sickness started at 5.5 weeks. Where is the justice in the world? RIP my next 8 weeks.

Could be worse, my wife's started the day before her period was due

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Tamarillo posted:

It was the same for me, it sucked (although thankfully never had any vomiting).

Got my anatomy scan tomorrow. I got excited when looking at the appointment instructions because the hospital system had updated their visitor policies to allow a single visitor for outpatient visits (previously prohibited), but it turns out my midwife's office is part of the group of offices excluded from the new policy. :(

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

MistressMeeps posted:

Anyone know a good app for tracking calories and macronutrients that isn't entirely weight loss geared? I was using LoseIt! for a diet before my tests started coming back positive, but it doesn't want to let me input a specific maintenance calorie goal that I can adjust by trimester. I know I could keep using LoseIt! but all the red bars from "overeating" make me sad...

I have premium lose it so it may be locked behind that, but it lets me set a "fixed" budget number when I go into my profile and edit calories. You could also go and modify your "goals" to get around the calorie goal you are looking for, mess with how much your weekly weight loss and activity (maintenance is an option too). I also see an option to adjust calories from there too. Not sure if all of that is locked behind premium though.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Hello thread. I'm an American living in Japan, and my wife is currently 33 weeks pregnant with our first, and she has a due date of July 4th. :911:

Things over here regarding pregnancy and childbirth are a bit different compared to the US. It's a bit weird, especially when talking to my American friends and reading this thread, but I speak Japanese fluently and I've mostly just been going with the flow. For example, epidurals are much less common in Japan, and my wife actually had to search around to find a hospital that was capable of giving them. She's had to set up an appointment to be induced when an epidural capable anesthesiologist is on duty. If she goes into labor before that appointment, then no epidural for her. Between all the mothers that she and I both know, only a handful of them ever opted to have an epidural.

Hospitals over here are also extremely strict with COVID precautions, and I haven't been allowed to attend a single checkup since my wife got pregnant - they don't even want me waiting in the lobby, so I have to stay at home while she goes to them. There were a lot of things I wanted to ask the doctor, and having my wife ask for me and summarize the answer later just isn't quite the same. I also won't be able to attend the birth, nor will I be able to visit my wife and daughter in the hospital until they're discharged. Even after a routine birth, women in Japan generally stay in the hospital for an entire week afterwards. I'm extremely frustrated with this, but I knew it was likely going to go this way ever since we first found out she was pregnant, so I'm mostly just resigned to my fate now. Vaccines are also being deployed extremely slowly in Japan, so there's no way I'd be able to get one in time, and I doubt the hospital would let me in even then.

On the plus side, we'll probably actually end up getting paid a little bit for giving birth, since insurance covers most of it and the government pays out a grant of a thousand or so dollars to everyone who gives birth. We also got $200 worth of coupons to use on baby goods, which immediately disappeared into a stroller and baby carrier. My wife will also be getting an entire year of paid maternity leave.

My wife's pregnancy has been almost entirely routine so far, although she's gotten extremely anxious a few times, to the point where she was absolutely certain that she had miscarried in the days leading up to her first ultrasound. She ended up buying a device to use at home to listen to the fetal heartbeat, which she would a couple times a week up until she started feeling the baby move inside her. Once she started feeling the baby move, though, she calmed down a lot and now we're both looking forward to her giving birth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spoggerific posted:

Hello thread. I'm an American living in Japan, Things over here regarding pregnancy and childbirth are a bit different compared to the US.

Hospitals over here are also extremely strict with COVID precautions, and I haven't been allowed to attend a single checkup since my wife got pregnant - they don't even want me waiting in the lobby, so I have to stay at home while she goes to them. Even after a routine birth, women in Japan generally stay in the hospital for an entire week afterwards.

This is normal, I went to the first two appointments before ~march 15, 2020 and was banned from the hospital until the birthing process due to covid stuff after that time

Spoggerific posted:

Hello thread. I'm an American living in Japan,

I also won't be able to attend the birth, nor will I be able to visit my wife and daughter in the hospital until they're discharged.

This is loving nuts

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hadlock posted:

This is normal, I went to the first two appointments before ~march 15, 2020 and was banned from the hospital until the birthing process due to covid stuff after that time

This is loving nuts

We are in the US and my husband has also not been allowed at any of the check ups at all during the course of the pregnancy so this first part doesn't seem too unusual.

Luckily he will be able to be at the birth. I do have 2 cousins also in the US who gave birth last year who were also not allowed to have their spouses there during the birth either so that really sucks.

Doctor has decided to induce me at 39wk1day, so Tuesday... It's kind of weird to have it all scheduled out but I am looking forward to it now.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, also in the US and my husband hasn't been able to go to any of my appointments. I was able to video call him for the ultrasound at least.

Good luck on Tuesday, hallo spacedog!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Emily Spinach posted:

Yeah, also in the US and my husband hasn't been able to go to any of my appointments. I was able to video call him for the ultrasound at least.

Good luck on Tuesday, hallo spacedog!

Thanks! Despite the impending challenges I know are coming I am looking forward to not being pregnant anymore.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've talked to a few couples in the US where the father was able to attend the pregnancy screenings, so I assumed it was pretty common. I spoke to them recently, though, so maybe they were already vaccinated. The doctors didn't let me do video calling, but they did let my wife take a video of the ultrasound screen during the procedure.

Awareness of SIDS and prevention of baby suffocation seems to be pretty different in Japan compared to the US. All of the cribs I saw in stores were side-drop cribs, which I believe are outright illegal in the US now. I also haven't heard much about not placing blankets or toys in with a sleeping newborn in the Japanese parenting stuff I've read, and in fact I see a lot of baby futons (Japanese style futons, not like the convertible couch things they call futons in the US) for sale complete with covers and pillows, and all of them have "usable with newborn babies" written on the packaging.

Stuff like this. They honestly have me a little terrified, because all of the English language resources I've seen about newborn bedding are like "YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND DIE IF YOU PLACE TOYS, A BLANKET, OR PILLOW IN THE CRIB WITH THEM". I'm probably going to go with a bassinet and no blankets or pillows, even though my wife complains that our daughter will outgrow one after a few months, that she'll be cold without a blanket, and if she doesn't get a pillow the back of her head will be misshapen.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Make note that the majority of SIDS deaths happen in cold climate homes and also smokers homes, with big fluffy blankets (see: cold climate homes) being a major contributing factor. Another major contributing factor is children being born before/well before 37-39 weeks. The people writing these reccomendations have to take in to account ALL homes and ALL families, climates etc. When you're forced to write specs like these, pretty much all you can recommend is that babies sleep in temperature regulated glass boxes with a 100% oxygen feed. Somebody probably spent several hours fighting with lawyers to even allow a bed sheet on the matress.

TL;DR choose your own risk level, not everyone follows the SIDS requirements exactly to the letter 100% of the time

That said, my sister in law brought over these pink fluffy... tutu puff things, which seemed pretty harmless. At some point (kid is closing in on 7 months now) one of the pink mesh fabric puffs made it into the crib, and we didn't give it too much mind because being a mesh puff did not seem like a strangulation hazard. Well about a week ago I found Hadlock Jr with a 1/8" pink ribbon wrapped around her hand and arm. Apparently we missed that part of the pink puff, they were originally ceiling decorations, apparently. Thankfully the ribbon got wrapped around her arm, and not too tightly, and not anywhere else :ohdear:

Anyways, my personal opinion is that the SIDS stuff is maybe a bit draconian, but also it's hard to argue with, as it's impossible to get strangled by air :iiam:

edit: also, the flat head pillow is great, keep in mind that it's designed to be used with a particular side up

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 18, 2021

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

To be fair, as a short person I would love a side drop crib if it had modern safety latches in place.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Spoggerific posted:

I've talked to a few couples in the US where the father was able to attend the pregnancy screenings, so I assumed it was pretty common. I spoke to them recently, though, so maybe they were already vaccinated. The doctors didn't let me do video calling, but they did let my wife take a video of the ultrasound screen during the procedure.

Awareness of SIDS and prevention of baby suffocation seems to be pretty different in Japan compared to the US. All of the cribs I saw in stores were side-drop cribs, which I believe are outright illegal in the US now. I also haven't heard much about not placing blankets or toys in with a sleeping newborn in the Japanese parenting stuff I've read, and in fact I see a lot of baby futons (Japanese style futons, not like the convertible couch things they call futons in the US) for sale complete with covers and pillows, and all of them have "usable with newborn babies" written on the packaging.

Stuff like this. They honestly have me a little terrified, because all of the English language resources I've seen about newborn bedding are like "YOUR BABY WILL SUFFOCATE AND DIE IF YOU PLACE TOYS, A BLANKET, OR PILLOW IN THE CRIB WITH THEM". I'm probably going to go with a bassinet and no blankets or pillows, even though my wife complains that our daughter will outgrow one after a few months, that she'll be cold without a blanket, and if she doesn't get a pillow the back of her head will be misshapen.

It’s interesting because I lived in Japan for a couple of years with my husband and we came home specifically to buy a house, have a kid etc etc. Never had to think about baby furnishings or anything. Looking at nitori for their baby stuff and it’s literally all baby futons, and honestly, what a nightmare.

I think a lot of the things that you’ve raised in this post and previous posts are down to cultural differences. The extended period in hospital, the emphasis on mum over mum and dad together in hospital. It’s maybe based on the assumption that mum will be doing it all on her own as dad will be working long hours. It also helps establish breastfeeding. A lot of women go back to their home town to be looked after by their parents in the lead up to labour, and in the time afterwards.

One of my mates I worked with in Tokyo had his wife go back to Okayama when she was 36 weeks and didn’t meet his newborn until she was a few weeks old. Another one of my friends (Australian) had both her kids in Tokyo and stayed in hospital for a week with both. Both were uncomplicated labours. She resisted the baby futon stuff because she had no intention of bed sharing, which is really common in Japan.

In Australia there is a big emphasis on getting home within the first few days, and I was happy to because I got NO rest in hospital. I don’t know if it’s more comfortable or restful in the wards in Japan.

Peanut can probably weigh in on this and correct my assumptions as she knows the ins and outs of pregnancy and little kids in Japan as an American.

femcastra fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 18, 2021

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Is swaddling common in Japan? That can help with the "baby will be cold" argument. There's also Finnish style baby boxes if your wife doesn't want to spend money on a bassinet the kid will outgrow in a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Bedsharing is way more common outside of America. All those ~bad~ cosleeping habits happen as a way of life outside these boarders and isn't demonized.

I think it's because SIDS is overblown. Wife thinks it's because nobody but Americans care about their babies. I do think that the American culture not being as family oriented is largely because this sleeping distance is enforced between parents and baby. But what does my family know, we only got to America in the 70s and the glass box style of bedding is just so... Cold.