Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Exactly that, with Macs.

Interesting - I’m guessing that’s more likely to happen if you buy the baseline/stock models?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I just noticed 14.5 changed the controller icon in the iOS/PadOS control panel to the new style.

No new functionality but its a cute touch.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Interesting - I’m guessing that’s more likely to happen if you buy the baseline/stock models?

No, I don't buy those. I always buy everything CTO.

They replaced my 2016 15" MBP with a 2017 one that had the same CPU frequency (2.9 GHz), which was top of the line on the 2016, but mid-level on the 2017.

It looks to me like they keep a large variety of CTO configurations ready for replacements after the initial onslaught of orders for a new model. I've also had at least 3 immediate "here ya go" replacements of maxed out iPads (regular, Air and Pro) at my Apple Store.

I also need to add that they only offered the MBP replacements after they couldn't fix the original ones over 3 weeks or so, even after several logic board replacements. The 2011 17" MBPs all had overheating GPUs and at least 2016 15" one couldn't deal with two 5k UltraFine displays after about 18 months. Apple was unable to test this config because for some reason none of their repair centers had two of those displays. Some higher up probably just said gently caress it and gave me the new one to cut the losses.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

No, I don't buy those. I always buy everything CTO.

They replaced my 2016 15" MBP with a 2017 one that had the same CPU frequency (2.9 GHz), which was top of the line on the 2016, but mid-level on the 2017.

It looks to me like they keep a large variety of CTO configurations ready for replacements after the initial onslaught of orders for a new model. I've also had at least 3 immediate "here ya go" replacements of maxed out iPads (regular, Air and Pro) at my Apple Store.

I also need to add that they only offered the MBP replacements after they couldn't fix the original ones over 3 weeks or so, even after several logic board replacements. The 2011 17" MBPs all had overheating GPUs and at least 2016 15" one couldn't deal with two 5k UltraFine displays after about 18 months. Apple was unable to test this config because for some reason none of their repair centers had two of those displays. Some higher up probably just said gently caress it and gave me the new one to cut the losses.

I had a CTO 27 inch iMac that needed some repairs right before AC expired. It was originally just a bad HDD but the ended up replacing the GPU and something else as well.

At work, they replaced an MBP for us. I'm in higher ed and we ordered a fleet of the old non-retina MBPs (the ones with the optical drive) right before they stopped offering them completely to EDU and enterprise. It had a 4 year AC warranty and right towards the end of the coverage, the main logic board started having issues. I sent it in and they ended up replacing with a retina MBP. Same ram and HDD specs, so it's a pretty decent machine. Since we had already replaced the old MBP with one from our reserves, I got a nice new MBP to play with.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, I’ve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I’ve got an old atv hd and I keep getting whole 30 second segments where half the frames are missing then it eventually goes back to normal. This is in Plex. Anyone else seeing this issue?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

Twice now since upgrading to 14.5, I’ve turned on my AppleTV and thought stuff looked a little off, and found out that it had somehow changed its default setting to 4K HDR instead of 4K SDR. Has this been happening to anyone else?
I think my content matching setting changed as well. But it might only have been for framerate though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've had this happen randomly after an update.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

pre-ordered, and remembered the HDMI cable isn't included

which brands y'all trusting these days for the latest and greatest high speed ultra 24k whatever? Anker? Monoprice?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Monoprice is a safe bet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like CableMatters stuff, I picked up this 3 pack of 8k HDMI cables for $20 and they've been fine. I am running them in the walls and wanted to not worry about swapping them out anytime soon
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-48Gbps-Support/dp/B081NXV3ZR/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

oh, colored too. Thanks, i'll check those out

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I like CableMatters stuff, I picked up this 3 pack of 8k HDMI cables for $20 and they've been fine. I am running them in the walls and wanted to not worry about swapping them out anytime soon

I bought this exact set to output my 30-series RTX at 4k120hz and one of the cables didn't perform. It wasn't entirely broken, since it was able to do 4k60hz, but most HDMI cables you can buy now can do that.

The other 2 worked fine. I do occasionally get a few frames of ghosting, usually on an mostly-black screen, but I suspect that's due to the TV or GPU, not the cable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Monoprice is a safe bet.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah either of these.

I’ve also had good luck with the Amazon cables as well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have an LG BX OLED

I'm doing some googling. It looks like all ports are HDMI 2.1, but only two are high bandwith (120hz?). Will it matter which I use?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Euphoriaphone posted:

I bought this exact set to output my 30-series RTX at 4k120hz and one of the cables didn't perform. It wasn't entirely broken, since it was able to do 4k60hz, but most HDMI cables you can buy now can do that.

The other 2 worked fine. I do occasionally get a few frames of ghosting, usually on an mostly-black screen, but I suspect that's due to the TV or GPU, not the cable.
Their customer support is pretty good iirc, maybe could've gotten a replacement without much fuss.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have an LG BX OLED

I'm doing some googling. It looks like all ports are HDMI 2.1, but only two are high bandwith (120hz?). Will it matter which I use?

It looks like the new ATV doesn't yet support 120hz, but probably will with an update, so I'd use one of the 120hz connections on the off chance that some sports streaming eventually happens at 120fps https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/20/new-apple-tv-4k-has-hdmi-2-1-but-120hz-support-isnt-available-yet/

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

I am unreasonably excited for my new AppleTV remote to arrive

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Glimm posted:

I am unreasonably excited for my new AppleTV remote to arrive

Same, didn’t quite realize how much I have hated the diving board

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

It sucks and I cannot wait to send it to the bottom of the ocean. I won’t need the sideclick anymore to make it usable either

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Granite Octopus posted:

It sucks and I cannot wait to send it to the bottom of the ocean. I won’t need the sideclick anymore to make it usable either

Please don’t pollute.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Inept posted:

It looks like the new ATV doesn't yet support 120hz, but probably will with an update, so I'd use one of the 120hz connections on the off chance that some sports streaming eventually happens at 120fps https://9to5mac.com/2021/04/20/new-apple-tv-4k-has-hdmi-2-1-but-120hz-support-isnt-available-yet/

Ah ok, thanks! If I don't watch sports, would I care for the 120fps?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Probably not in the short term, I can't think of anything else that's potentially going to start using 120hz any time in the next few years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Probably not in the short term, I can't think of anything else that's potentially going to start using 120hz any time in the next few years.

Maybe twitch streams? Maybe?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I was really hoping for 120Hz just to avoid the delay from my tv switching frame rates.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Not Apple hardware related, but this season of Bob's Burgers is six weeks behind on my AppleTV. From looking around, Apple tells you to contact Fox, and Fox says to contact Apple.

Does this sort of thing happen often with other shows? Bob's is the only series we've ever purchased (a couple seasons worth), and it's the first time they've been anything but punctual. It's weird.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fischtick posted:

Not Apple hardware related, but this season of Bob's Burgers is six weeks behind on my AppleTV. From looking around, Apple tells you to contact Fox, and Fox says to contact Apple.

Does this sort of thing happen often with other shows? Bob's is the only series we've ever purchased (a couple seasons worth), and it's the first time they've been anything but punctual. It's weird.

You're buying them straight through the iTunes Store? I see that same issue for myself right now. That would sound like a Fox issue, I'd think. Like, to put this in simple terms, they just didn't give the file to Apple. I doubt there's anything you could do on your end to fix it. I'd just get a trial of Hulu and catch-up.

That is a weird issue though. I figured at this point, poo poo like that is just totally automated. It probably is but there's a failure at some point in that process.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 11, 2021

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're buying them straight through the iTunes Store? I see that same issue for myself right now.

Yeah. It probably isn't the most efficient use of funds (I could get a couple months of Hulu for the price of the show), but I enjoy it. I think they might even be holding the season finale hostage at this point.

Seems like this should be a cron job and not a negotiation, but what do I know?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Bob's Burgers on Hulu (on my apple devices) and new episodes are there the day after they air.

edit: Also this season has kind of sucked in my opinion. Just seems to be missing something

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been watching Bob's Burgers on Hulu (on my apple devices) and new episodes are there the day after they air.

edit: Also this season has kind of sucked in my opinion. Just seems to be missing something

People in the same place working together?

Anyone else waiting on their new Apple TV’s? I cannot wait and I am so super ready. These might be the thing that cause me to give up TiVo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

People in the same place working together?

Anyone else waiting on their new Apple TV’s? I cannot wait and I am so super ready. These might be the thing that cause me to give up TiVo.

I’m waiting here. Should ship soon I would think. I actually just got a notice that the following two are pending shilling:

-Apple Airtags (with dumb emoji engravings)

-Sonos Roam (hey Zetterberg, you adding this to your Sonos ?)

This are my 3 splurges for the moment. Pretty excited for whenever the Apple TV ships too. It’ll be nice to have an in theory better remote, an then I move my 4K Apple TV to the bedroom so both TVs have a more current Apple TV.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I really hope the new Apple TV has parity with my physical Steam Link so I can finally dump it. The app on my XS runs perfectly but my current HD Apple TV has just enough latency that it’s not usable for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m excited! I haven’t actually watched much of anything in proper 4K since getting my 4K tv. Tons of games sure but still! I have the 4K extended LotR films ready to go :dance:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Social Animal posted:

I really hope the new Apple TV has parity with my physical Steam Link so I can finally dump it. The app on my XS runs perfectly but my current HD Apple TV has just enough latency that it’s not usable for me.

The 4K runs extremely well over gigabit Ethernet so the new one should be great.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m waiting here. Should ship soon I would think. I actually just got a notice that the following two are pending shilling:

-Apple Airtags (with dumb emoji engravings)

-Sonos Roam (hey Zetterberg, you adding this to your Sonos ?)

This are my 3 splurges for the moment. Pretty excited for whenever the Apple TV ships too. It’ll be nice to have an in theory better remote, an then I move my 4K Apple TV to the bedroom so both TVs have a more current Apple TV.

Ha, I hate that you had to ask me. I’ve been debating picking one up.

I’ve got a Move that I got on Black Friday and it’s a phenomenal portable speaker. It sounds incredible for hauling to the back yard or the pool. We’re going camping this summer and I figure it’ll come in handy there too.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of a Roam since it’s got a much smaller footprint. Since I have a Move, I definitely don’t need one, buuuuuuuut I get 15% off through work, so I dunno. It’s super tempting. I’d love to read reviews of them though.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 17, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, I hate that you had to ask me. I’ve been debating picking one up.

I’ve got a Move that I got on Black Friday and it’s a phenomenal portable speaker. It sounds incredible for hauling to the back yard or the pool. We’re going camping this summer and I figure it’ll come in ha day there too.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of a Roam since it’s got a much smaller footprint. Since I have a Move, I definitely don’t need one, buuuuuuuut I get 15% off through work, so I dunno. It’s super tempting. I’d love to read reviews of them though.

Ironically I got my Move on Black Friday too.

I did get 15% off the roam through Sonos (upgrade program where you don’t have to send back said speaker), and honestly , it was like I know I’m gonna eventually get it, so gently caress it. The move is a bit too big for trips , so this is my partial trip speaker purchase.

Also, my main trip speaker, Bose soundlink mini II, is starting to show its age (it was one of the best speakers I ever got) so I’m using this to replace it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

The move is a bit too big for trips , so this is my partial trip speaker purchase.

Ughhh this is my exact train of thought as well.

I’ve held off on replacing my Beam with the Arc so far, but I know I’ll cave in one of these days and move my Beam to my bedroom where two One SLs are waiting. :sigh:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

tuyop posted:

The 4K runs extremely well over gigabit Ethernet so the new one should be great.

That’s awesome! Will be one less trinket on the tv stand.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Very keen to get a new ATV but I both want to hold off on ordering til I can get one sooner after ordering (makes no sense, I know) and I am paralyzed between choosing 32 or 64 GB!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Very keen to get a new ATV but I both want to hold off on ordering til I can get one sooner after ordering (makes no sense, I know) and I am paralyzed between choosing 32 or 64 GB!

32 should be plenty. Hell most of the games aren’t that big of you were to install some.