Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/GgNhur/status/1393265729319931906?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is the new beta over I've completely missed it :/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

Is the new beta over I've completely missed it :/

Ya

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Have they ever actually confirmed that in player lobbies we'd be able to spectate matches?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i miss the game again

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There's no crossplay between psn and steam right? Gotta guess which one most people are going to be playing on before I buy it

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

brand engager posted:

There's no crossplay between psn and steam right? Gotta guess which one most people are going to be playing on before I buy it

There were some rumblings about them looking into pc -> console crossplay but for now it's only ps4 to ps5, yeah.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol Sony doesn't allow crossplay without a substantial fee

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there a financial reason why GG games are on PS and not XBox? I know traditionally it has been because Japanese developers didn't give a single poo poo about releasing stuff on XBox but that seems to be going away a little bit. But I also don't know if Sony throws in funding directly, like how they paid Capcom for SFV, so I'm not sure if it is worth holding out hope on a port if this version is super successful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If strive is a big hit xbox might pay them to make a port and pay them to have it on gamepass so why spend their own money up front to make a version that wont sell very well at launch?

Metapod posted:

Thats for console crossplay i think.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Metapod posted:

Critically acclaimed hit title Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid™ rolling up to Sony HQ with the goods to make crossplay happen

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I think the Sony fee is something like “pay for the lost sales that cross play caused us” so I suspect releasing your game without cross play first and then after a while adding it in is a way to argue for “you didn’t lose any sales because people who already bought the game for their console of choice did so without the cross play”

Power Rangers was originally crossplay with everything EXCEPT playstation, for instance.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
My friend linked me this today,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Jtp0lpox8

Good stuff in there, private lobbies have spectator mode and some kind of online training setup to practice with others.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/GUILTYGEAR_PR/status/1396828329584566273?s=19

We're so close

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I feel like I got into Xrd Rev2 a bit late when I picked it up around the beginning of last year and (UK) struggle to find any online matches where I don't just get pasted, if I find any at all.

I'm still gonna pick up Strive when it comes out cos I wanna be on ground floor but part of me wonders that maybe the player base wouldn't be bigger if they released it cheaper than £55? Same with a lot of FGs, I understand they're kinda niche, but maybe a lower price would result in more people buying it?
There's a few fighters I'd like to play (Under Night, for example) but as I'm on PC it often seems like that's the smaller playerbase to begin with and I do think that given the impulse driven nature of Steam lower initial prices might actually get more people playing these great games- SF V is still mega active and I don't think that's just down to brand recognition.
They absolutely did gently caress up the launch and pricing royally but certainly I'd be more likely to take a punt on a game for a tenner than for £30-£55

Either way, pumped for this.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/bel_laurant/status/1397034193809547264

:(

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I feel like I got into Xrd Rev2 a bit late when I picked it up around the beginning of last year and (UK) struggle to find any online matches where I don't just get pasted, if I find any at all.

I'm still gonna pick up Strive when it comes out cos I wanna be on ground floor but part of me wonders that maybe the player base wouldn't be bigger if they released it cheaper than £55? Same with a lot of FGs, I understand they're kinda niche, but maybe a lower price would result in more people buying it?
There's a few fighters I'd like to play (Under Night, for example) but as I'm on PC it often seems like that's the smaller playerbase to begin with and I do think that given the impulse driven nature of Steam lower initial prices might actually get more people playing these great games- SF V is still mega active and I don't think that's just down to brand recognition.
They absolutely did gently caress up the launch and pricing royally but certainly I'd be more likely to take a punt on a game for a tenner than for £30-£55

Either way, pumped for this.

If the price was the deciding factor in how popular a game is, Skullgirls would be the the biggest fighting game ever made :v: It absolutely is brand recognition but Strive should be fine - there's a lot of hype behind the game and rollback makes EU to east coast very much playable.

You can almost aleays get a deal on new PC games through legitimate key resellers though, Fanatical had 20% off codes back around the first open beta and Green Man Gaming has a 16% off code right now, it seems.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mays theme slaps, I will die on this hill.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Ky has some bon jovi livin' on a prayer vibes in his new track too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RIP Strive, never released due to arcsys getting obliterated by lawsuits.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

chumbler posted:

RIP Strive, never released due to arcsys getting obliterated by lawsuits.

ehhh its well trodden territory by now

Ky's xrd theme opening is electric eye

hell take this song

(2:15 if timestamp don't work)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rte_JZ5bNDY&t=135s

That's the opening riff to midnight carnival.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

May's theme being a Misery Business ripoff is way more tenuous than the main riff of Giovanna's theme being a Sabotage ripoff, which it 100% is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the only rip off here is 90 dollars for the deluxe edition

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

the only rip off here is 90 dollars for the deluxe edition

That's why you get the ultimate

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

For every fighting game I’ve bought I go and spend like 20 hours in training mode learning some combo I’ll never use, then never go online and fight anyone. In Strive I want to just start fighting people immediately, can anyone give me some dead simple game plans (i.e., “do these two things”) that would get me started with Ram, Ky, and Faust?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I would look into Mission Mode for those characters when the game comes out. Judging from the footage I saw from the Red Bull event, it is similar in style to Xrd's mission mode so they should be good jumping off points for those characters. I spent my entire playtime in both open betas playing Giovanna so I can't comment on specifics for Ram, Ky, or Faust. As far as Ram is concerned you should be fine just pressing Slash and Hard Slash and then throwing your swords when they're cornered, though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mattavist posted:

For every fighting game I’ve bought I go and spend like 20 hours in training mode learning some combo I’ll never use, then never go online and fight anyone. In Strive I want to just start fighting people immediately, can anyone give me some dead simple game plans (i.e., “do these two things”) that would get me started with Ram, Ky, and Faust?

Instead of practicing arbitrary stuff and then trying to apply that in matches, play matches to figure out things you need to work on. All three are good picks for going in blind and can play a poke-y neutral style well.

Ram's f.S and j.S are obviously good buttons to control space with, f.S into (delay) 5H into (delay) sword throw makes the opponent scared to challenge you. 6P is a good anti air and she can convert from air to air hits with j.D or her sword swing special. Ky's f.S and 2S are solid pokes, his fireballs put the opponent into S H O C K S T A T E which lets you start or reset offense with the flippy kick special. Faust I didn't try but you can probably just jump back buttons into bomb bag and thrust -> home run to blow up people who aren't ready.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Sol is also really good and simple in this version. His close/far slash buttons are fast, go deceptively far and are plus (!), setting up brain dead pressure scenarios

dhamster fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 30, 2021

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Mattavist posted:

Stay at about their far Slash distance and just experiment from there.

You can just hop into strive and fight random people because the before you can even play vs people online it makes you fight against one AI opponent and it kind of ranks where it should put you in the tower vs other people. Just stick around where the game ranks you and keep going at it.

People that it ranks higher up than you cannot dip down into the lower ranks to beat up newer people but you are free to go up in ranks as you wish.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mattavist posted:

Ram: get their rear end in the corner and beat the poo poo out of them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are we not able to pre-load this yet? All I see in my PS4/5 library is the beta test.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Idk. When is early access for console preorderers?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Early access is the 8th so it's still a week out

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No big deal if not, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Excited for early access.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Finally got around to pre-ordering this game, Super loving excited, I wonder if people on PC will get early access.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Finally got around to pre-ordering this game, Super loving excited, I wonder if people on PC will get early access.

They won't, the official website says so.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Jack Trades posted:

They won't, the official website says so.

Oh well I guess it will be too late for me and everyone in the FGC will have become too good at the game by June 11th for me to ever hope to catch up :smith:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I forgot, is there crossplay from the start or will that be later on?
Although it's not the 'proper' way to do multiplayer I'm actually getting pretty regular bites in XrdRev2 when I have it searching for ranked matches whilst being terrible at MOM mode.
I think I'm finally getting the hang of timing now I've finally got SFV out my thumbs, definitely will be good to be playing Strive from the start

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NonzeroCircle posted:

I forgot, is there crossplay from the start or will that be later on?
Although it's not the 'proper' way to do multiplayer I'm actually getting pretty regular bites in XrdRev2 when I have it searching for ranked matches whilst being terrible at MOM mode.
I think I'm finally getting the hang of timing now I've finally got SFV out my thumbs, definitely will be good to be playing Strive from the start

They said exploring it for later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jumps are back

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1400620834365095937?s=19