Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I mean I can see value in watching you dislike in some particular way, in my case usually because there's something about it I want to learn more about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mix. posted:

Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent - I just wanted a nice anime about making poo poo with magic, why'd it have to be a harem :eng99: Its not actually bad or anything, I just...am not interested in those kind of stories lmfao

While I can understand being disappointed that the show doesn't focus much on the crafting or the magic, it's not really a harem story. Yes there are a lot of pretty boys, but there's always only been one clear romantic interest and no real teasing that anyone else even had a chance.

Things I'm watching:

The good
Iruma season 2: Every bit as good as I was hoping, and I'm excited to see the upcoming arcs get adapted.
So I'm a Spider: Despite the janky animation and CG, I still enjoy the story of the spider who becomes OP (and those humans over on the side I guess)
Killing slimes for 300 years: Consistently gets some laughs out of me each episode, and feels much better paced than the source manga
Dragon House-hunting: I'm still enjoying how goofy this series is, and I think it's done a pretty good job of not wearing out it's premise yet
Nagatoro: Wasn't a show I was initially interested in, but I've been loving it ever since my friend convinced me to give it a try

The bad
Full Dive: Terrible characters, terrible "humor", interesting world. I keep telling myself that I'm going to drop this, but each episode makes the world just interesting enough that it lives for another week. Took 6 episodes to finally look like it's going to move past the initial conflict into a more interesting part of the story, which is waaaaaay too long.
Combatants will be dispatched: Even though it did get better once the full cast showed up, it's still a bunch of terrible people being terrible to each other in a really weak attempt at humor. Kind of just watching it out of habit at this point.

The ok
Saint's Magic: I'm not overly familiar with this genre, so I don't feel entirely qualified to judge it. It seems decent though, and is definitely much better paced than the manga. Largely watching to see how things go once they get past to where I was in the manga.
Slime diaries: While it is cute, wholesome, and often fairly funny, the nature of the show just isn't really grabbing me (and I am a fan of Slime in general). I'm still watching it because it's good for chilling out with at least.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jymmybob posted:

Agreeing with most lists but Godzilla Singular Point should be showing up more. It's really really good and feels like the most complete execution of anything this season, even considering great stuff like Vivy.

i agree but it's in netflix jail so most people will watch it later.

i'm watching like 3x as many shows as usual because the season is so strong, but dynazenon, odd taxi, and godzilla are the ones i'm most enthused about. maybe shadows house too but it's been more lucid and less creepy than i hoped for after the first couple episodes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

I will loving fight you on ZLS Revenge

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

What's morally dubious about 300 Years Killing Slimes anime?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isekai

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

i like mha well enough normally but the current season is really really bad

kater
Nov 16, 2010

cave emperor posted:

yeah this

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cave emperor posted:

While the animation is still good, the first half of season 5 is adapting what is generally regarded by online fans as their least favorite arc of the entire manga thus far, so understandably a lot of people don't have much interest in it. The back half of the season, on the other hand, is adapting one of the favorite parts of the manga, so you'll probably see viewer engagement rise again in the Summer season.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I didn't like the Yazuka arc much because I felt like the author was kinda breaking past what their previous world building had established about how quirks worked; but I like the TOURNAMENT ARC a lot and the next stretch of the manga I liked a lot my previous reservations aside.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I watched the first episode of Cardbattle OVERDRESS and Battle Atheletes RESTART and SD GUNDAMworld Heroes and I can't tell what is good anymore. They all seemed fine.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just because heroes work with law enforcement but there's a pretty overt throughline about how the current society is letting people down and in many ways responsible for creating villains.

it doesn't exactly posit any means by which society can be improved except "cops are super cool, but privatized cop corporations are even cooler" though. i dunno if i'd say fascist but the politics of MHA don't exactly gel with the current american political climate

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't know if i would call my ex-arm watch a hatewatch but it was definitely watching a zeppelin crash over and over while going "wow"

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

More people need to watch SSSS.Dynazenon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

it doesn't exactly posit any means by which society can be improved except "cops are super cool, but privatized cop corporations are even cooler" though. i dunno if i'd say fascist but the politics of MHA don't exactly gel with the current american political climate

I mean broadly speaking I think society as we can see it is operating from a lens that's probably heavily influence by Francis Fukuyama's End of History. Society is to be improved via the processes of a stable democratic society; it isn't in particular the job of the heroes to solved complex sociological or socio-economic issues. Deku cannot punch into being a solution to poverty. Solving poverty is the job of functioning government ministries and politicians.

Like the Hero companies and such by all onscreen in-universe appearances are all probably heavily regulated, they are probably under the auspices of the National Public Safety Commission. There really isn't much of a point of comparison, its like if you had PMC's who had to compete for government contracts to handle terrorist attacks that happened regularly but they all went through military training but are firmly under the supervision and are junior to local law enforcement and are actually held accountable to national standards.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

I watched the first episode of Cardbattle OVERDRESS and Battle Atheletes RESTART and SD GUNDAMworld Heroes and I can't tell what is good anymore. They all seemed fine.

ok i'll cover these:

overdress is a good show but a bad cardgame show

bad athletes restart is ugly/badly animated and the writing is clumsy and overambitious

sd gundams suck

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

sd gundams suck

The one where Yazan is Dick Dastardly is good.

This one is terrible, yes, but I feel I should point out that SD Gundam just has a terrible batting average, not a flat 0.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that is true, they should go back to having funny/cute ovas and not always making them rot3k characters covered in hair and gold poo poo in alien/zombie plots

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

it isn't in particular the job of the heroes to solved complex sociological or socio-economic issues. Deku cannot punch into being a solution to poverty. Solving poverty is the job of functioning government ministries and politicians.

This is fair enough, but I feel like MHA never really acknowledges this as directly as it should. The characters do sometimes use rhetoric that implies that all problems anyone in Japan has are somehow heroes' responsibility (e.g., All Might "failed to save" Shigaraki from non-Quirk-related child abuse). And this makes MHA feel kind of frustrating, because there's this sense that problems Deku and his friends can't possibly solve, and will never be explored more than superficially anyway, are somehow within the scope of the story.

I guess in a way this actually makes MHA's politics less authoritarian (and more realistic) than those of most shonen manga. But this seems accidental.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 17, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

This is fair enough, but I feel like MHA never really acknowledges this as directly as it should. The characters do sometimes use rhetoric that implies that all problems anyone in Japan has are somehow heroes' responsibility (e.g., All Might "failed to save" Shigaraki from non-Quirk-related child abuse). And this makes MHA feel kind of frustrating, because there's this sense that problems Deku and his friends can't possibly solve, and will never be explored more than superficially anyway, are somehow within the scope of the story.

The story to be fair, is also not over. :D

I think that as a theme could also be something along the lines of not being conceited. "You can't save everyone" is a pretty good lesson to learn as a hero and to keep things realistic while trying to do your best (which fittingly enough is the meaning behind Deku's name).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

what are the super cub crimes

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Motto posted:

Either its because people died in the show for her to get the cub for cheap or because its Transformers level product placement?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

Promotes the use of fossil fuels.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

romanticizes cops
https://twitter.com/supercub_anime/status/1362329075772059650

loves pollution (emissions and noise!!)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MHA is a show in which bad guys who self identify as bad guys perform terrorism for the sake of making moral points to heroic rivals. In the recent past either Japan or the entire world was controlled by a secret super villain. It is not portraying a realistic world. The villains exist so the hero can have bad guys to punch, hero society exists to have a bunch of super hero character designs present. It isn't going for anything more complex.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I never realized the difference between a veranda and a balcony...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
MHA isn't tackling all the complicated root causes of trouble in society because superheroes, even if they existed, probably couldn't

Or more likely, given that they are by definition brightly colored weirdos who beat people up semi-professionally, they shouldn't.

Would you want a pro wrestler to be in charge of reforming the healthcare industry or helping protect endangered children?! That's what you're asking for with superheroes! Ask the people of Knox County how well it's going for them!

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I'm watching too much poo poo to be bothered making a full list but my current top rankings are Fruits Basket > Dynazenon > Odd Taxi > Shadows House > Super Cub/Tropicure. Fruits Basket in the lead by a decent margin but Dynazenon totally having the potential to leap into first once it starts actually paying off on all the poo poo it's been setting up for seven episodes now.

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 17, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got a couple of weeks behind so I'm not fully caught up on all of these but I'm still watching at this point:
Bakuten!! - ep 5 going full horror movie was really funny and they really nailed the atmosphere, great ep
Saint's Magic - adventures of a bewildered potato in the land of handsome men; I'm interested enough in seeing how the dueling saints plot works out at least but it would be more engaging to watch if Sei was remotely interesting as a character at all
Fairy Ranmaru - still a couple episodes behind on this one but it's been pretty fun so far
Link Click - what I've seen has been great, really looking forward to catching up & seeing where it's going to go
Daomu Biji - I'd love to be watching this in better quality but still kinda muddling through with what's out there; it's had more humor than I expected and it's interesting that most of the supernatural-ish things that the pv showed have been mostly in the characters' imaginations. Hoping mysterious sword guy shows up longer than a few seconds as an out of focus blur in the next ep since they teased him at the end of ep7; I'm not familiar enough with the series to know if the audience is expected to know who he is already but he's in the ending so I assume he's important and I'm ready to see why.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it's less "MHA should have its main characters personally solve poverty" and more "MHA uncritically glorifies cops and the entire story is about the literal heroics of wannabe cops. any politics that exist within the setting only serve to further justify this." the only character with any particularly cutting criticism of the cop culture is a serial murderer whose criticisms are literally brushed away by the line "you are accepting the logic of a murderer" and whose criticisms are very rarely acknowledged by the story after his appearance (and even then, only one specific criticism, and only by one specific character, and only so he can become as cool of a cop as his older brother). there's some mild failings of the current cop system that the story acknowledges that largely boil down to "now that the supercop isn't around anymore our current cops are not strong enough to handle the constant onslaught of crime perpetually. we better train up the next generation of cops good so that they're better at neutralizing threats than the current cops." it doesn't exactly say "cops need less regulation and need more guns" but it also doesn't really delve at all into cops misusing their power or hurting innocent people (outside of the potential of collateral damage while going after the real criminals). i can think of one cop who is presented unsympathetically in his personal life (where he is a domestic abuser and, depending how much you want to read into the details of that domestic abuse, a rapist) but i don't believe there is a single instance of a cop behaving poorly or maliciously in their service as a cop (in fact, said domestic abuser is extremely good at being a cop).

which, i mean, MHA doesn't necessarily need to dive into the politics of government approved use of force against its own civilians, and i certainly enjoy the show anyways. but the original statement that started this discussion was "MHA is fascist" and again, while i wouldn't go that far, the show is definitely "copaganda" so the sentiment doesn't quite come from nowhere. if it's fair to call marvel movies fascist i wouldn't give MHA any particular benefit of the doubt there

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm watching a metric fuckton this season, and even then I'm not seeing everything I'm interested in. Watching the original Gundam at the same time slows me down, and next season looks thin, so I figure I should save some good stuff.

Currently, I'm watching, in rough order of interest:

SSSS Dynazenon
Godzilla: Singular Point
To Your Eternity
Nomad
My Hero Academia
Super Cub
I'm a Spider, So What?
Back Arrow (Still not impressed, but it's actually showing its hand now, and that's been less dull to watch than all the sidequesting)
SD Gundam World Heroes (For my sins)

I dropped Mars Red when it didn't live up to the first episode, and Joran after the first episode gave nothing worth watching any further, but that's still an absurdly packed lineup.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There’s so much I’m watching this season and so much more I haven’t yet but want to sure why not type a bunch.

I want to give Dragon House Hunting one more chance but it hasn’t been good at all.

The Saint’s Magic Is Omnipotent is my favorite of the season. It is fantasy romance catnip. Also it’s a cute take on isekai in that it actually matters to the plot.

Kabaddi is surprisingly great. The main character feels unique in a funny way. Bakuten somehow seems unsurprisingly great. It has a very Run With The Wind vibe. Sorta. Kinda. Kramer isnt amazing but I like it, the animation is very uh non-standard. When it tries to do non-sports things it is not good.

86 and Vivy and Eternity are all great. I’m not sure which I like more. 86 I think gets a lot of flack but I find it engaging. I wanted to hate Vivy the way it ended it’s second ep but it’s worked it’s way back.

Adopt a Highschooler isn’t a disaster but I don’t really want to watch any more.

I’ve only seen an ep or two of Mars Red and Shadows House and Spies from Space but they seem good and I wanna watch more.

Let’s Make A Mug is okay. It’s not full length so it’s hard to really say anything. These let’s focus on a town shows are always so sad kinda, but not like in a bad way.

I was expecting Super Cub to be like that one motorbike club show from a few years ago and uh lol it is not. I do find the ‘I can do anything with my cub’ ‘now I have a cub’ bullshit to be a lottttt. Like they are holding some orphan hostage with their ad bullshit.

Nagataro and 300 years of slime are cute, funny.

Something about Cestvs is intriguing, addicting. A lot of it is what the gently caress at what they’ve skipped (and then later included in a flashback) and wanting to see where it goes. But I do like the animation style. Idk maybe I have a thing for shows that animate wrongly between this and Kramer.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The spinoff series, Vigilantes, has a more fleshed out look at the setting. It goes into how people with inhuman-looking quirks are discriminated against, and pushed to find remote housing where their ugliness won't bother people. There's a preying mantis guy who complains about how humiliating it is to poo poo in a bathtub, because nobody makes toilets for giant insects.

There's a Lois Lane-expy who say the only difference between a hero and a villain is their PR team. They both cause massive property damage and do as they please. But reckless cops are attractive, edgy, and state media approved.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just sit down sideways my dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I really like with Vivy is they make subtle changes to her appearance and behaviour to age her as time's passed by between episode arcs rather than just "she is a robot, she is always the same :pseudo:". If you look at her in the latest episodes she comes off as being around her late 20's/early 30's, compared to a more teenage appearance in her facial structure in the first episode.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm sorry for nuking the thread!!

Ok first, single point Godzilla fans please remind us about it at the end of the month, when it's out of Netflix gaol so I remember to watch it. I wanted to but it's too difficult at the moment.

Ok so now for my offhand comment about MHA being fascist. It posits that all societies problems can and should be solved through force, and that this is good.

Weirdly, it's actually has the villains point out that this is hosed up, and that's a big part of why I haven't dropped it.

Honestly though it's biggest crime is just wasting time with "previously" and "next time" crap eating actual new episode content.

Splode fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 17, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

romanticizes cops
https://twitter.com/supercub_anime/status/1362329075772059650

loves pollution (emissions and noise!!)

she also has a Casio F-91W, also known as the terrorist watch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection ray is the second best show airing this season and im not kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chiasaur11 posted:

The one where Yazan is Dick Dastardly is good.

ZZ?