Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

This opposing opinion speaks specifically to a number of adjacent concerns, thanks, it’s appreciated.

All in all, it sounds like if I’m going to do it, I need to just try one out (either by buying or ???) and then seeing how I personally feel about it. Which I sort of knew was the situation anyhow, I suppose.

Anyone in the Des Moines area with a Quest 2 wanna do a demo for me? I’m all juiced up on Pfizer and have worked from home since 2008 🤣

Amazon it. Hate it, Return with no hassle.

https://amzn.to/3hqH1xR

COVID or not, you know as well as I do testing in your own home for a few days is way better.

explosivo posted:

No I haven't, I did notice that was a requirement of those cool ones though.

Eh, just gonna get the silicone one. I didn't realize you can't just buy the interface, you have to get it with the foam replacement too which is $30, so all in all it's $60 to use those other ones.

IF you buy one of the kits like I linked (thrillseeker/whatever) it comes with both parts for 30 bucks.

and you get 2 pads.

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

Amazon it. Hate it, Return with no hassle.

https://amzn.to/3hqH1xR

COVID or not, you know as well as I do testing in your own home for a few days is way better.

Really good point.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

For PC VR, you have to increase the resolution in the settings to very high levels (1.7x, as per one of the Oculus) to really have all the pixel density the screen allows, taking in account the distortion done by the lens. So I hope you have a 3080 or 3090 around.

I can run stuff in general at 1.5x with a 1080ti. It shouldn’t need a 3090 at all

I love the Q2 because wireless is a game changer, full stop. It’s unbelievable

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can run stuff in general at 1.5x with a 1080ti. It shouldn’t need a 3090 at all

I love the Q2 because wireless is a game changer, full stop. It’s unbelievable

Yeah people keep quoting whatever current gen high end gpu for res scale and tbh ive ran 500% on a LOT of titles on a 2080ti, so like 200% isnt a big deal in a lot of cases tbqh.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Fill out the form someone submitted upthread and Oculus will apparently send you a VRCover facial interface for free if you got it before January or it causes irritation for you.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

Thanks everyone. I’ll try some of these out. My quest was still wet like an hour after playing omg

Do you not treat it like gym equipment and wipe yourself (and the equipment) down after use? Or are you just sweating that much that it's soaked in that far?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

DelphiAegis posted:

Do you not treat it like gym equipment and wipe yourself (and the equipment) down after use? Or are you just sweating that much that it's soaked in that far?

It’s foam. There wasn’t sweat on it after I was done playing to wipe off, only in it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DelphiAegis posted:

My headsets are my primary work out devices. They get loving soaked my dude. My index rear pad is gross as poo poo and theres no good way to clean it.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Does anyone have controller attachments for the Quest 2? I'm looking for something where I can grip one controller with two hands like a golfclub for Topgolf.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

https://us.vrcover.com/products/facial-interface-foam-replacement-set-for-oculus%E2%84%A2-quest-2-thrillseeker-edition

Linked thrills because I like pink. They have other colors and stuff tho. Skip all the generics, just buy these and if you have any issues email the customer service people they rule.

I'll be honest and say I think the AMVR facial interface is a lot more comfortable than the VR Cover one. It's compatible with the default glasses spacer if you need that (VR Cover requires you to buy their own special glasses spacer), the front part of the interface is made with a stiff-but-flexible that adapts to your face a bit better than the VR Cover's rigid plastic, the vents are a bit larger so it doesn't fog up as easily, and the padding is thick enough to be comfortable but thin enough to not impact the FOV and to stay put without wiggling (VR Cover padding needs to really be clamped down on your face to stay put in my experience, which mostly negates the comfort). The biggest downside was a bit of light leakage with the orange model, but the black one is fine on that front.

Honestly, even when I feel like using the VR Cover padding these days (there is something to be said for how plush it is for something like watching a movie where I won't be moving around much), I'll stick it on the AMVR interface since they're both just velcro.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

Fill out the form someone submitted upthread and Oculus will apparently send you a VRCover facial interface for free if you got it before January or it causes irritation for you.

Mine legit caused irritation, I thought it was just grinding pollen or something into my face but I have had to stop playing a few times because my face was burning.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Audio Trip is great for mild to moderate intensity cardio, especially with its new cardio mode which is more intense. I didn’t care for Synth Riders, and refunded it.

I really wish a big developer would buy Thrill of the Fight, and make a sequel with Creed level visuals and presentation, while retaining the realistic gameplay, and add online multiplayer. I’d gladly pay $60 for that game.

Imagine if it had 20 fighters. With lots of people in the crowd. With a good score/soundtrack. Story mode. That would be epic.

But its just one dude working on it, with no indication on when the next game will be done.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oof, I managed to bend the connector on my off-brand USB cable and break it. Lesson learned, always use a cable strap to attach it to the headset. I guess I should have thought about the weight that gets put on it during use.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So uh... I have an Oculus Rift S, right. I dig it so far, even if it was revealed to me that the tracking/lighthouse things only need line-of-sight to the hardware.

Big gripe: needs batteries for the controllers. I'm considering swapping to a new headset because I might be able to do better and with more controller support (i.e. RECHARGEABLE ONES)? What should I consider if I were to go from Rift S and am more unsure on going to Quest 2? Prob gonna stick to SteamVR because of an uncertainty on if I want to do Oculus store.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is there a headset other than the Index with rechargeable controllers? I can't think of one but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Quest 2 has the same controllers as the Rift S basically.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm told the q2 controllers have much better battery life but I still just use some decent quality rechargeable AAs and get 2ish weeks of heavy use out of them. Ikea LADDAs are basically eneloops for 75% the price, here in Europe at least.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

widespread posted:

So uh... I have an Oculus Rift S, right. I dig it so far, even if it was revealed to me that the tracking/lighthouse things only need line-of-sight to the hardware.

Big gripe: needs batteries for the controllers. I'm considering swapping to a new headset because I might be able to do better and with more controller support (i.e. RECHARGEABLE ONES)? What should I consider if I were to go from Rift S and am more unsure on going to Quest 2? Prob gonna stick to SteamVR because of an uncertainty on if I want to do Oculus store.

As far as rechargeable controllers with built in batteries, consider the downsides. I've had them and it's a major bummer when your controller dies because you're now done playing VR until they've charged, instead of being able to just throw some new batteries in. And if the battery in the controller degrades over time you're stuck with it.

A 4 pack of rechargable batteries and a charger is incredibly cheap and will mean you're never forced out of VR for more than the few seconds it takes to swap out batteries.

Even if you don't want to use the Oculus store the Quest 2 might be a good choice for you, you can use it in SteamVR and the controllers have legendary battery life (they're different from the Quest 1 and Rift S controllers).

Also wireless streaming is so good with Air Link.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’ve never used a rift s but the Q2 batteries do last forever. I’ve had mine since Xmas and I’m on the second set of generic Costco alkalines

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Tip posted:

As far as rechargeable controllers with built in batteries, consider the downsides. I've had them and it's a major bummer when your controller dies because you're now done playing VR until they've charged, instead of being able to just throw some new batteries in. And if the battery in the controller degrades over time you're stuck with it.

A 4 pack of rechargable batteries and a charger is incredibly cheap and will mean you're never forced out of VR for more than the few seconds it takes to swap out batteries.

Even if you don't want to use the Oculus store the Quest 2 might be a good choice for you, you can use it in SteamVR and the controllers have legendary battery life (they're different from the Quest 1 and Rift S controllers).

Also wireless streaming is so good with Air Link.

Well now I have a new question: Is there a range on Air Link? Because if it's a decent one, this might mean I can play in a much larger room WITHOUT moving my PC. I just hope it doesn't suffer the "Quest performance" issues with standalone/no-PC Quest usage.

Also, would it prevent much if I suddenly start sweating? I think last few times I had to pull off the headset because I thought I felt some sweat build around the edges of the viewport.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

widespread posted:

Well now I have a new question: Is there a range on Air Link? Because if it's a decent one, this might mean I can play in a much larger room WITHOUT moving my PC. I just hope it doesn't suffer the "Quest performance" issues with standalone/no-PC Quest usage.

Also, would it prevent much if I suddenly start sweating? I think last few times I had to pull off the headset because I thought I felt some sweat build around the edges of the viewport.

AirLink's range is whatever your 5ghz range is from your router; the image isn't perfectly sharp due to video compression, but performance is entirely contingent on your PC spec.

You can sweat away without it damaging the headset, but enough sweating will fog up your lenses to the point of unplayability, so either the VRCover cloth interface cover or a basic sweatband will do you.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

AirLink's range is whatever your 5ghz range is from your router; the image isn't perfectly sharp due to video compression, but performance is entirely contingent on your PC spec.

You can sweat away without it damaging the headset, but enough sweating will fog up your lenses to the point of unplayability, so either the VRCover cloth interface cover or a basic sweatband will do you.

A quick look says "roughly 195 feet practically" in terms of range. I doubt the distance from my PC to the living room is anything above a quarter of that. I'll have to probably grab one either in a week or later, maybe. It doesn't need a DisplayPort available, I take it. All the cables I see for it require just USB-C... which seems concerning?

And if I do grab one, I'll get a sweatband with it. :v:

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
I bought a quest 2 today on a whim and was wondering if there is a quick guide anywhere for setting up pc to quest streaming? I've got a 5ghz router and a shitload of games on steam from my rift so not having to buy all that again would be amazing.

Edit: clearly I should have just googled airlink quest 2 and followed the steps like a non dumbass unless there is some dumb poo poo they're leaving out.

Fenom fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 17, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

widespread posted:

A quick look says "roughly 195 feet practically" in terms of range. I doubt the distance from my PC to the living room is anything above a quarter of that. I'll have to probably grab one either in a week or later, maybe. It doesn't need a DisplayPort available, I take it. All the cables I see for it require just USB-C... which seems concerning?

And if I do grab one, I'll get a sweatband with it. :v:

Yep, just USB-C to any USB port on your PC. USB 2 will work, but you might as well go USB 3 to be sure. You needn't be concerned, one of the major advantages of USB-C is the ability to transfer data and video simultaneously, it's the reason why tablet monitors no longer need godawful branching cables to function.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

widespread posted:

A quick look says "roughly 195 feet practically" in terms of range. I doubt the distance from my PC to the living room is anything above a quarter of that.

For me 5GHz works well in rooms next to the router but gets nothing 2 rooms away. Depends on your house construction.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I think that 195 feet is pretty meaningless number. Wifi seldom has that long range, but just setup a Wifi access point in the room where you want to VR and run an ethernet cable to your PC or router. The ping latency between my home and work is about 2 milliseconds, so I assume I could just use my Quest 2 in the Office with Virtual Desktop.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

widespread posted:

Quest 2 controller battery life is pretty insane.

Also if you're a lazy oval office like we are these rule

https://amzn.to/3hvRnN5

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Quest 2 controller battery life is pretty insane.

Also if you're a lazy oval office like we are these rule

https://amzn.to/3hvRnN5

Dammit I already ordered a set of eneloops. Plus 500 cycles vs 2100.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ive done virtual desktop through a 5ghz mesh and it worked seemingly just as well as being connected to the base ap

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

ive done virtual desktop through a 5ghz mesh and it worked seemingly just as well as being connected to the base ap

What's a good brand for a mesh? I've been thinking of upgrading my wifi setup and I figured getting a Wifi6 mesh might work well enough that I can use Airlink / Virtual Desktop from my basement rather than in the same room as my router. (As it is, I can get a signal from the basement but it's just weak enough that playing VR isn't feasible.) Otherwise, I'm guessing I'll either have to put a VR capable PC in my basement or run a wire down there to connect a WAP.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

widespread posted:

If you're talking about AirLink, the distance between your PC and the Quest is not really relevant. Your PC should ideally be connected to the your router with an ethernet cable, and then it's the distance between your router and the Quest that matters. Or, more accurately, it's the WiFi signal strength that matters rather than the actual distance.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

What's a good brand for a mesh? I've been thinking of upgrading my wifi setup and I figured getting a Wifi6 mesh might work well enough that I can use Airlink / Virtual Desktop from my basement rather than in the same room as my router. (As it is, I can get a signal from the basement but it's just weak enough that playing VR isn't feasible.) Otherwise, I'm guessing I'll either have to put a VR capable PC in my basement or run a wire down there to connect a WAP.

I'm using eero 6s. Not exactly sure how they stack up against the competition but for the eeros the form factor the software and the performance are all great. I don't think I would try netgears or Linksys mesh system after using these

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I got the 3 box, Orbi mesh wifi 6 from Costco and am pleased with it in virtual desktop and airlink.
Does HL 3 Alyx on high settings fine.

I didn't even know at the time that quest 2 was a wifi 6 device.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Facebook definition of 'free' is funny. I received the new facial interface in my home... except I had to sent the UPS guy back with it, because they sent it from USA and not from Europe, and they wanted 22€ from customs, lol.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Has there been any word about Pokerstars VR considering adding craps/roulette? It seems like such a slam dunk fun thing to have in a VR game that crams you on a table with other real people in VR.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of crammed around a table, my two brothers, another friend and I all picked up Demeo this past weekend and had an absolute blast with it. They really nailed the hanging out and gaming with friends experience. Will be even better as they add content, but I think as-is it's worth the $30 if you have friends to play with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of crammed around a table, my two brothers, another friend and I all picked up Demeo this past weekend and had an absolute blast with it. They really nailed the hanging out and gaming with friends experience. Will be even better as they add content, but I think as-is it's worth the $30 if you have friends to play with.

I really wish there was a multi-pack discount type deal for this game. I'd love to play this with my friends who have HMD's but $30 is a hard sell for them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Some goon shared a battery bank with power delivery that was on sale a bit back in here. Followup question around that: Do you need a specific cord to take advantage of that or is whatever it comes with fine?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

explosivo posted:

I really wish there was a multi-pack discount type deal for this game. I'd love to play this with my friends who have HMD's but $30 is a hard sell for them.

Yeah the game would really benefit from a 4-pack discount.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

According to this site
https://casandchary.com/oculus-quest-app-sharing-list/

Demeo allows app sharing at least, although I guess that doesn't really help unless everyone involved has the same primary user on their headsets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Warbird posted:

Some goon shared a battery bank with power delivery that was on sale a bit back in here. Followup question around that: Do you need a specific cord to take advantage of that or is whatever it comes with fine?

I used the cord that came with it, I believe. A couple of folds in the cable, secured with a bit of Velcro, made it the perfect length.