Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, it's really a documentary about a guy who posits this whole grand conspiracy of a Satanic cult. By the end, the documentary itself is pretty clear it's all nonsense. The later interview with Berkowitz is very much framed as him asking leading questions just to confirm what he believes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Discovery and WarnerMedia may merge very soon?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/16/att-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-warnermedia-with-discovery.html

I'm guessing Discovery+ ain't doing so hot then?

actually i was under the belief that hbo max wasn't doing so hot

at&t does have heavy debt fwiw

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

Apparently Discovery and WarnerMedia may merge very soon?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/16/att-in-advanced-talks-to-merge-warnermedia-with-discovery.html

I'm guessing Discovery+ ain't doing so hot then?

While technically it's a merging it looks more like AT&T is just offloading WarnerMedia to Discovery. So now all of the WarnerMedia stuff will be under Discovery's umbrella. AT&T is pretty much getting out of streaming game from the looks of it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shneak posted:

For some reason I thought it was dropping weekly. Watched half the season tonight. The writing is extremely 30 Rock and Renee Elise Goldsberry is so loving funny.

you fuckers really gonna make pay for yet another streaming service??!?!?!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

While technically it's a merging it looks more like AT&T is just offloading WarnerMedia to Discovery. So now all of the WarnerMedia stuff will be under Discovery's umbrella. AT&T is pretty much getting out of streaming game from the looks of it.

For a behemoth mega corporation AT&T swivels its corporate strategy like it's on gimbals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X-O posted:

This seems like it's the popular way to read this, but it's not really as clean cut as all that.

A new company is being formed with the combined properties
AT&T Shareholders will have 71% ownership of the company, Discovery shareholders will have 29% ownership.

So, technically Discovery is dissolving and combining with WarnerMedia resulting with AT&T is the majority stakeholder and Discovery's David Zaslov as CEO.

Mostly, this seems like accounting shenanigans to give AT&T a quick injection of cash.

Vertical Lime posted:

actually i was under the belief that hbo max wasn't doing so hot

at&t does have heavy debt fwiw

HBO and HBO Max had 65 million subscribers, it was doing fine. AT&T just has massive debt that they need a quick cash injection and can't wait for the longer term revenue return on the service.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Discovery is big enough to buy Time Warner?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They aren't, which is why a new corporation is being formed. It can take on the debt to "buy" the assets of both companies. The new company is starting with $55 billion in debt. AT&T is getting $43 billion.

So, yeah, it's pushing pieces of paper around so AT&T can get a cash injection and not have the debt on their books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tuca & Bertie got picked up at Adult Swim. Is this the first time a show canceled by Netflix has gotten bought out by a cable channel?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also i read that at&t was trying to unload directv and the selling price was a fraction of what they paid for

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Tuca & Bertie got picked up at Adult Swim. Is this the first time a show canceled by Netflix has gotten bought out by a cable channel?

One Day at a Time also got picked up after Netflix cancellation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

They aren't, which is why a new corporation is being formed. It can take on the debt to "buy" the assets of both companies. The new company is starting with $55 billion in debt. AT&T is getting $43 billion.

So, yeah, it's pushing pieces of paper around so AT&T can get a cash injection and not have the debt on their books.

aka push the debt off on someone that can declare bankruptcy with no consequence

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Vertical Lime posted:

also i read that at&t was trying to unload directv and the selling price was a fraction of what they paid for

Yes, and they did the exact same thing they're doing here, ie "selling" to another entity but still retaining shareholder control of the new structure.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nichael posted:

One Day at a Time also got picked up after Netflix cancellation.

Is Pop a cable channel? (I don’t actually know)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, it is.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Pop is undoubtedly best known as the US TV network that showed Schitt's Creek.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The latest episode of The Nevers had an interesting twist where it is revealed that everything is happening because of aliens from the future and like half the episode took place in post-apocalyptic London with an XCOM style paramilitary squad

I wish the show was better, because it's got so many neat ideas, I just don't think much of it is very well-executed. Hopefully it can survive beyond Whedon, because he wasn't credited on this and it was probably the best episode.

Edit: Apparently that was the half-season finale and we aren't getting more of it for a while, great.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

The latest episode of The Nevers had an interesting twist where it is revealed that everything is happening because of aliens from the future and like half the episode took place in post-apocalyptic London with an XCOM style paramilitary squad

I wish the show was better, because it's got so many neat ideas, I just don't think much of it is very well-executed. Hopefully it can survive beyond Whedon, because he wasn't credited on this and it was probably the best episode.

I'm actually surprised he wasn't credited on that since it sounds a bit like a recycled idea from Dollhouse. The two post-apocalyptic future-set season finales.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1393396856374194177

Are these big enough draws to get people to subscribe to Paramount+? Are they being sent to some sort of subscription service purgatory before they are cancelled after 1 more season?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of the replies says that Seal Team and Clarice are their favorite shows. Who are these people.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Boomers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1394418070559526912

Oh jesus, Dan, no :cripes:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

This sounded so stupid at first, because what even would that be? Turns out it's just another show unrelated to bitcoin bullshit but they plan to sell people jpegs of frames of a show I'm sure will be digitally created anyway as if they were like actually unique hand drawn cells and not 1s and 0s anyone can just make a perfect copy of and also burn down 12 acres of rainforest.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 18, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This does nothing to dissuade me from the idea that Harmon is the insufferable half of the Rick and Morty formula.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I've never seen so many things I hate condensed into one show before

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This does nothing to dissuade me from the idea that Harmon is the insufferable half of the Rick and Morty formula.

One of the first episodes of Harmontown was him going on a drunken rant about how he sided with the Confederacy in the American Civil War because he was a contrarian who always sides with the people fighting against the people telling them they can't do something. And then went on this unhinged 20-minute ramble about humans evolving into cyborgs because they spend too much time on their dang phones.

Anyone paying attention has always known he was a garbage person, it's just people didn't give a poo poo because they only cared about the wacky NBC sitcom they liked.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I had a really dim opinion of that guy after seeing the Rick and Morty unaired pilot but that's somehow worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are talking about the ball fondling BTTFish short, that was all Justin Roiland.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021
TV nerds in the early 2010s were just the worst. The greatest show ever made is copaganda by a literal police asset, Louis CK doing an entire episode of his show inventing a situation where him trying to rape his crush is just a hilarious misunderstanding is actually really deep commentary and if you think it's gross you're actually the gross one, and Dan Harmon is actually a really smart and complicated guy worth listening to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sorting Algorithms posted:

TV nerds in the early 2010s were just the worst. The greatest show ever made is copaganda by a literal police asset,

Is this a dig at The Wire, because if you think The Wire is copaganda I feel like you've not actually watched it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The musical numbers on Girls5Eva are top loving notch. The same team that wrote 30 Rock's Muffin Top I think.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Is this a dig at The Wire, because if you think The Wire is copaganda I feel like you've not actually watched it.

I thought they were talking about Brooklyn 99

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm actually surprised he wasn't credited on that since it sounds a bit like a recycled idea from Dollhouse. The two post-apocalyptic future-set season finales.

It also felt a bit like Out of Gas. I can't believe the show found a way to be even more Wheadon-y, but it did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Evil is also moving to Paramount+ for season 2

Calling it now, unless it's a runaway ratings hit, CBS is only going to premier stuff on CBS before moving it to Paramount+.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 18, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Which is kinda weird. It had great reviews and ratings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Which is kinda weird. It had great reviews and ratings.

I'm pretty sure CBS is going to turn into the Paramount+ preview channel

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ruddiger posted:

I thought they were talking about Brooklyn 99

I don't think TV nerds were gigantic Brooklyn 99 fans.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hmm, on the one hand I liked Evil and would be interested in watching a second season. On the other hand, it feels like it's been off the air forever now and I'm absolutely not going to sign up for another streaming service. I guess that's probably it for me then.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The greatest show ever made is copaganda by a literal police asset

the entire point of The Wire is that the policing system is completely broken and crime solving is practically an unintended side effect hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

TV nerds in the early 2010s were just the worst. The greatest show ever made is copaganda by a literal police asset

...Breaking Bad? Mad Men?? JOHN FROM CINCINNATI???