Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

blk posted:

https://imgur.com/ZYqkMtJ

One of the calipers on my kid's bike is sticking. How do I fix this? I tried pulling it off and greasing where it mounts to the fork but it didn't improve anything.

OK, there are several possibilities here.

1. The spring on the left has popped out of the retention hole.

2. Just needs the tension adjusted (little screws).

3. The spring on the left needs to be placed into a different retention hole to allow for greater tension.

The authority: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Can't see from the video but make sure the pad isn't too high so it sticks underneath the tire when you release the lever.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

blk posted:

https://imgur.com/ZYqkMtJ

One of the calipers on my kid's bike is sticking. How do I fix this? I tried pulling it off and greasing where it mounts to the fork but it didn't improve anything.

You've got the tension screws set un-evenly, so the side that sticks doesn't have enough spring tension to retract off the rim:

If you're already comfortable popping the brakes off the fork, it's probably worth running through this whole guide (or at least parts 2 and 6) and getting them set just right https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/linear-pull-brake-service.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Looks like a little more spring pressure on the left side there would do it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It was the spring; many thanks!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It sounds like you solved it, but I didn't see anyone mention a little trip flo on the brake post. Sometimes some light sanding in the past us needed, especially if it has any paint build up.

If you disconnect the cable, you can manually manipulate the arm and check for stiction.

Sometimes increasing the spring tension is a compensation for stiction and as things settle the issue might flip sides.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Sorry, wrong thread

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 13, 2021

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I finally got myself a hitch rack, which ended up being a thule camber 2

the thing itself is steel and very solid, however it has a pretty serious security flaw in that those three bolts on the side are easily removable so the whole top half of the rack can be taken off in <1 minute.

I don't plan on leaving my bikes locked up to my trailer hitch for any extended periods of time, but when it inevitably does happen I'd like potential thieves to need more than a wrench. in addition to a heavy-duty chain that loops through a steel ring on the car's trailer hitch itself (meaning potential thieves have no choice but to actually cut the chain to remove the bike from the car), i plan to lock the bike to the rack itself with 15mm u-locks. that second line of defense is completely undermined if the top of the rack can just be removed from its socket.

I was thinking of lining the threads with locktite red, maybe shoring up the lug nuts with some JD Weld cold-weld epoxy? that's the best that I can think of short of actually welding the lug nuts to the bolts. would that be sufficient to keep a really determined person from unscrewing them?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

God Hole posted:

I finally got myself a hitch rack, which ended up being a thule camber 2

the thing itself is steel and very solid, however it has a pretty serious security flaw in that those three bolts on the side are easily removable so the whole top half of the rack can be taken off in <1 minute.

I don't plan on leaving my bikes locked up to my trailer hitch for any extended periods of time, but when it inevitably does happen I'd like potential thieves to need more than a wrench. in addition to a heavy-duty chain that loops through a steel ring on the car's trailer hitch itself (meaning potential thieves have no choice but to actually cut the chain to remove the bike from the car), i plan to lock the bike to the rack itself with 15mm u-locks. that second line of defense is completely undermined if the top of the rack can just be removed from its socket.

I was thinking of lining the threads with locktite red, maybe shoring up the lug nuts with some JD Weld cold-weld epoxy? that's the best that I can think of short of actually welding the lug nuts to the bolts. would that be sufficient to keep a really determined person from unscrewing them?

Maybe replace them with security bolts? When I used a hitch rack I always tried to reverse up to a solid wall, try to give any thieves as little room as possible. also If they can't see it they can't steal it.
[

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

E- nevermind read the instructions

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 15, 2021

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
The braking cables on my gardener's bike (Schwinn Impact MOS, circa 1990) snapped and he lost a few of the bolts holding the brakes in place.

Are cantilever brakes a bitch to put together? Seems like lots of small individual pieces that have to be adjusted.

Don't think I can do V-brakes as he'd need new braking levers (and money is a huge factor).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

The braking cables on my gardener's bike (Schwinn Impact MOS, circa 1990) snapped and he lost a few of the bolts holding the brakes in place.

Are cantilever brakes a bitch to put together? Seems like lots of small individual pieces that have to be adjusted.

Don't think I can do V-brakes as he'd need new braking levers (and money is a huge factor).

I would think if he went to one of those community shops with a hundred lovely bikes in the back they could piece something together for like $30. It might be hard to find the right thing to buy online/used without having a bunch of supply to try on the bike and see what works.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Tortilla Maker posted:

Tektro Mini Vs are road pull if you can find em.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tortilla Maker posted:

Flat bar brakes should be able to pull V-brakes, which are likely strong enough to make up whatever oil difference there might be.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Tortilla Maker posted:

They're more annoying than V-brakes to assemble and adjust but not *that* difficult. There's a ton of good videos on Youtube (Park Tool definitely have one.) As for the lost bolts, I'm guessing they're the ones that attach the main cable to the straddle cable. You could just order some cheap straddle cables from ebay - the bolts will be included (check the pics on the listing but they always have been in my experience.)

e: I looked at a few listings, and the bolt/bracket that connects the two cables is called the 'bridge', at least here in the UK. The straddle cable can also apparently be called the bridge cable/wire.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192177420932?hash=item2cbeaaba84:g:HJQAAOSwONBZCw72

Al2001 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 16, 2021

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I'm new to bike shops and I'm hoping you guys can tell me if this seems like a normal process.

I took my bike in with stripped pedal threads on one of the crank arms, and they said it would be about a week to try a thread tap and new insert. I call them a week later and they say they don't have the tools for it but they should get them in soon. I ask about just getting new cranks but they recommend waiting since it should be cheaper. Ok.

I'm busy for a while and hear nothing back, so I call them another two weeks later. They still don't have the tools and they're "not hopeful about getting them any time soon". This seems odd since they're all over Amazon and ebay, and I'm wondering why they want to store my bike indefinitely without contacting me. I again ask if I should just get new cranks instead. The guy says "oh, yeah, I guess you could" with wonderment in his voice like he hadn't thought of it. I ask if he can recommend anything or point me in the right direction and he tells me to find something online and that someone will text me specs and rushes to get off the phone. No one texts.

I feel completely jerked around and like I've wasted 3 weeks. Am I justified in picking my bike up, not paying, and going somewhere else?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Just so you know right now it completely loving sucks to work in a bike shop. We can't get parts bikes or tools we're constantly dealing with people who can't accept the fact that we can't get parts bikes or tools and also don't understand that you have to wear a god damned loving mask.

Quite frankly they probably ordered the helicoil insert set then got notified a week later that now instead of it being in by mid May it's now going to be November and they're too busy dealing with the endless stream of Boomer McChinmaskers and their constant demand for step thru fast cheap road bikes with an upright aerodynamic posture and are just plain too burned out to clue in to the obvious which is to just offer a new crank as an alternative.

Give em the benefit of the doubt for now. Ask em to put on a new crank and ask if they can expedite the request because you've been waiting a while for the bike, if they say no to that then ya take it somewhere else.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

EvilJoven posted:

Just so you know right now it completely loving sucks to work in a bike shop. We can't get parts bikes or tools we're constantly dealing with people who can't accept the fact that we can't get parts bikes or tools and also don't understand that you have to wear a god damned loving mask.

Quite frankly they probably ordered the helicoil insert set then got notified a week later that now instead of it being in by mid May it's now going to be November and they're too busy dealing with the endless stream of Boomer McChinmaskers and their constant demand for step thru fast cheap road bikes with an upright aerodynamic posture and are just plain too burned out to clue in to the obvious which is to just offer a new crank as an alternative.

Give em the benefit of the doubt for now. Ask em to put on a new crank and ask if they can expedite the request because you've been waiting a while for the bike, if they say no to that then ya take it somewhere else.

Some of us completely understand and appreciate all of you in our local shops. We see you telling the rear end in a top hat “who had an appointment” not to cut in front of the woman who was standing in line outside as she also had an appointment (and managed not to show up five minutes late). We understand you can’t keep any thing in stock and your deliveries are about as reliable as the weatherman. We still love you.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I feel like this shop in a midwest town of 7000 that also does mowers isn't too stressed about masks but thanks for going all aggro and blaming your imagination for their poor customer service.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Psychepath posted:

I feel like this shop in a midwest town of 7000 that also does mowers isn't too stressed about masks but thanks for going all aggro and blaming your imagination for their poor customer service.
Literally one person replied to you and it was someone that works in a bike shop where 90% of their post was talking about their own personal situation. What "aggro and blaming" have you received?

Also...

EvilJoven posted:

This right here, the final 10% of the post that was an answer to the question that you asked, is pretty good advice for your situation. Do that. If you feel like even this is too much at this point with the lbs then just take the bike back. Also think about why exactly one post with good advice in it apparently set you off. I hope you can feel better going forward with whatever decision you go with.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If you're considering buying a new crank anyway, might as well buy the thread tapper on amazon and try it yourself. If you gently caress it up you can just get the new crank.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The tapper just cuts a wider threading into the crank, right? What's the next step, to get a solid 'bolt' that threads into the wider threading, and then drill and top 9/16" into the filled-in hole?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The helicoil kit basically widens out and rethreads the crank and then you thread in a spacer that's threaded both inside and out so you can run normal 9/16th cranks in the new, wider hole.

If done right it should be fine if done improperly your axle isn't at a proper 90deg angle, or it falls out again.

Unless it's a really high end crank TBH it isn't worth the parts and labour cost, especially if the place hasn't done it before. There's a good chance they don't get it quite right.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the insert bonded into place?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
No, it's kind of threaded on both sides. They hold really strongly.
http://www.repairengineering.com/helicoil.html

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Is the insert bonded into place?
Yes. Park tool has a guide even though they don't make the tool.
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/pedal-bushing-repair-kit-procedure
The inserts are about :10bux: each not counting the cost of the dies.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neat. Looks like both the bushing and the helicoil have loctite as the first option for securing.
I wonder how the tolerances work out such that the pedal to bushing fit is tight enough to sink the bushing into the tapped crank but also loose enough to be backed out. Is the bushing butting against the head of the pedal axle on the way in?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kimbo305 posted:

Neat. Looks like both the bushing and the helicoil have loctite as the first option for securing.
I wonder how the tolerances work out such that the pedal to bushing fit is tight enough to sink the bushing into the tapped crank but also loose enough to be backed out. Is the bushing butting against the head of the pedal axle on the way in?

The fix that Park Tools describes uses threadlocker on the bushing-to-crank interface. I think proper Helicoil relies on spring tension to not back out.

edit: I misread your post. Sorry!

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 17, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Psychepath posted:

I feel completely jerked around and like I've wasted 3 weeks. Am I justified in picking my bike up, not paying, and going somewhere else?

Yeah go for it, but I'd probably call ahead and make sure the next place has the right stuff. It's weird a shop wouldn't have a pedal thread tap and helicoils. We do that on a pretty regular basis, there's no issue with it and it's cheaper than new cranks for sure (I want to say like $30?) Plus given that you are putting steel in a larger diameter threaded hole it's stronger than the original aluminum. Really common thing to do to aluminum car brake calipers as well.

jamal fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 17, 2021

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Apparently expecting bike shops to have any semblance of customer service or communication skills is too much. I’ve never once not had to constantly check in on my bike. Oh, you told me you could service my bike but it turns out you don’t have the tools? Call me and let me know it’s gonna take a bit longer. Oh, the tools are on back order due to the global shortage which is totally understandable? Call me and let me know, a bit of communication resolves a lot of the confusion and frustration.

Too many shops are run by bike dudes with no customer service skills and it shows.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tigren posted:

Apparently expecting bike shops to have any semblance of customer service or communication skills is too much. I’ve never once not had to constantly check in on my bike. Oh, you told me you could service my bike but it turns out you don’t have the tools? Call me and let me know it’s gonna take a bit longer. Oh, the tools are on back order due to the global shortage which is totally understandable? Call me and let me know, a bit of communication resolves a lot of the confusion and frustration.

Too many shops are run by bike dudes with no customer service skills and it shows.
I'm thankful that I am no longer working at bikeshops, but for some reason there exists this refusal at the shops I have worked at to be upfront and honest. I'm not sure if its because the industry is so focused on image, and the shops I've been at have been sorta high end, so they feel the need to hang on to to that image.
I always hated dealing with customers after someone else had, because they would concoct some insane elaborate lie just to cover up the fact that we were special ordering a specific tool, as if not having the tool would reflect poorly on them or something.

I saw so many times that people would just dig themselves deeper and deeper into a hole because they wouldn't just be up front. We had a lady with a 22" BMX bike, and instead of just telling her we don't have 22" tubes and could get them in a week, the owner decided it would be OK to shove a 24" tube in there. Surprise surprise, she was back two days later with a flat. Now instead of just admitting the mistake, they told her they needed to keep the bike for a few days to inspect the rim for damage (while they wait for the 22" tube to show up). Got it installed, and everything was great. A month later she gets a flat on the tire, and someone unknown to the situation explains we have to order the tube, and now she is all mad because no one had to order a tube last time...

I see way too many managers who will bend over backwards to keep up their appearance, I can only imagine that has gotten way worse with covid supply issues. There is nothing wrong with telling a customer no or being honest about what the situation requires and what you as a shop are capable of.

Sales guys can also be pretty bad about this, when the sale of a bike is contingent on some service work and they make promises the service department can't deliver on.

Customer service 101, under promise, over deliver. Not over promise, masquerade it with lies, and build yourself a house of cards that the customers expectations rely on.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Tigren posted:

The ones that have the skills know better to get the gently caress out and do something that pays what they are worth.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I figured out a squeaking sound and prevented myself from spending $50 on a new idler wheel.

First the bike:

Bacchetta Recumbent. Note the little wheel (idler) the chains are routed thru (under the seat).

So I'm on a group ride and I hear a squeak when I pedal with any force. My immediate thought was that since this was tied to the pedaling, it had to be something in the drive train. Pedaling 'softly' or backwards ... no sound. So it HAD to be the idler.

Then I got the idea of applying the rear disc brake lightly while pedaling. No sound.

Checked out the rear disc and the left pad was really close to the disc. Quick adjustment and all good.

So pedaling flexed the chain stays enough to have that pad touch the disc ever so slightly. Engaging the brakes stopped the squeak and was the clue.

10 second adjustment beats ordering a new idler.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My bike stand will apparently work itself loose and fall over if you leave a bike on it over a couple days. So, my old, '70s steel bike fell over with the bike stand and after that the pedal on one side would hit the chain stay as it rotated. I was able to bend the whole rear of the bike back into place a bit, so there's plenty of clearance for the pedal now and no visible cracks or damage to the frame, but any recommendations on how to get this straighter? The steel is super flexible and I paid next to nothing for this bike, so worst case scenario I strip off all the parts I want to save and look for another similar one.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html Here's the Sheldon Brown article on checking the frame alignment and bending it. The string method is how you check the frame is roughly straight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I had a doozy of a mechanical on a bikepacking race this weekend. 240 miles in at 1 am I hit a big rock on a long gravel descent, bounced around pretty good, and ended up catching a branch in my wheel. It bent the valve stem about 60 degrees and caused an air leak. We tried to bend it back and the plan was to hopefully add sealant/super glue to hold the leak but the stem snapped. Upon unseating the bead, the inner rubber of the valve stem had popped off in the tire and the root of the stem was pulled down into the hole and was seemingly too big to fit back through or be pushed through the other side (tried using an allen wrench to push it through both ways). Had a 5 hour walk down the mountain that night and it didn't help that it was 40 degrees and I was sweating from the previous 9 mile climb when it happened, so I had to just keep walking to keep from getting hypothermic. Towards the end of trying to fix it I was shaking so bad I couldn't even get the thru axle back in . Currently waiting to hear back from the shop about their plan to extract it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Drill a hole in it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I had a doozy of a mechanical on a bikepacking race this weekend. 240 miles in at 1 am I hit a big rock on a long gravel descent, bounced around pretty good, and ended up catching a branch in my wheel. It bent the valve stem about 60 degrees and caused an air leak. We tried to bend it back and the plan was to hopefully add sealant/super glue to hold the leak but the stem snapped. Upon unseating the bead, the inner rubber of the valve stem had popped off in the tire and the root of the stem was pulled down into the hole and was seemingly too big to fit back through or be pushed through the other side (tried using an allen wrench to push it through both ways). Had a 5 hour walk down the mountain that night and it didn't help that it was 40 degrees and I was sweating from the previous 9 mile climb when it happened, so I had to just keep walking to keep from getting hypothermic. Towards the end of trying to fix it I was shaking so bad I couldn't even get the thru axle back in . Currently waiting to hear back from the shop about their plan to extract it.
That some good old type 3 right there, loving hell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Steve French posted:

Drill a hole in it

That was my first thought and what the shop ended up doing. I didn’t want to be the one to ruin the rim though if my hand slipped lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

That was my first thought and what the shop ended up doing. I didn’t want to be the one to ruin the rim though if my hand slipped lol
Yeah, better to not ruin the thread’s perfect record.