Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

e; nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

I wonder when liberals will finally figure out that holding opposing views is easy and will never “gotcha” anyone like nomad from star trek
Cognitive Dissonance flat out does not exist. It is entirely possible to hold and openly espouse opposing viewpoints and justify it with complete nonsense. People have contorted themselves into believing it exists because if it doesn't, it means that fair-minded debate cannot solve many problems (which it cannot, actually).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hobbesmaster posted:

you can turn off buzzfeed

sometimes theres memes. :shobon:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
Most Americans support Israel, but most Americans also support Palestinian statehood, so there’s no way of saying whether America is bad or not with respect to the Middle East :colbert:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Cognitive Dissonance flat out does not exist. It is entirely possible to hold and openly espouse opposing viewpoints and justify it with complete nonsense. People have contorted themselves into believing it exists because if it doesn't, it means that fair-minded debate cannot solve many problems (which it cannot, actually).

cognitive dissonance super exists, it’s just that it follows the internal rules of each persons’ self image and not the official rules of formal logic. if there’s already an existing guideline for how to deal with a contrary message they can just use that heuristic instead of thinking. one of the reasons propaganda works so well is that it creates those “outs.” look at how trump was able to flip “fake news” basically the instant the term was coined, now anything you disagree with is fake and can be safely ignored

most cognitive dissonance research depends on presenting people with novel situations they’re not prepared for and earlier super unethical research depended on extreme situations like the millgram shock study, in which the dissonance was generated by the subject thinking they were hurting someone and the “out” was deference to the source authority of the man in the white coat holding the clipboard telling the subjects to continue

qirex fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 17, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my favorite psych professor [anthony pratkanis] wrote a book called age of propaganda and it’s real good

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wow sounds like fake news to me op

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

wow sounds like fake news to me op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my fav thing about the milgram experiments was that he and everyone he asked thought that they'd get practically no one willing to go all the way up with the shocks and that they'd quit or refuse before maxing out

also lol he thought germans were inherently all nazis

quote:

Milgram suspected before the experiment that the obedience exhibited by Nazis reflected a distinct German character, and planned to use the American participants as a control group before using German participants, expected to behave closer to the Nazis. However, the unexpected results stopped him from conducting the same experiment on German participants.[9]

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also lol he thought germans were inherently all nazis

I'm pretty sure they were in the 1900s to the 70s

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I hope there's a future, and that future exposes the hypocrisy and irony of modern day israel

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's 2021 and you can't bomb people into silence anymore

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpeIy-MoKgQ

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/aishabagel/status/1393757332039942148

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
no palestinian ever called me human being

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

account's protected, post a screenshot plx

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

account's protected, post a screenshot plx

too late, it was huge poo poo in toronto

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

too late, it was huge poo poo in toronto

did they discover a new ford

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there was a very large crowd down at city hall in support of palestine

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV95ELQaRYM

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
not available in my country

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
try living in a proper country

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Lol yeah, wonder where those people doing the scolding are at now. Hmm

they’re eating brunch, op

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

try living in a proper country

such as

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

KidDynamite posted:

they’re eating brunch, op

i miss brunch

getting drunk with my kids on saturday morning just isn't the same

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
whatever man i hella miss getting drunk with your kids

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
my mom's coming over this weekend and she's gonna be so impressed at how much better they hold their liquor now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my mom's coming over this weekend and she's gonna be so impressed at how much better they hold their liquor now

they grow up so fast

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cool cool.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SmokaDustbowl posted:

not available in my country

stop making me think that region locking things is good

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

extremely good and normal country

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I gave up on watching college football after one team had a half time thing sponsored by Dr. Pepper where if you were good enough at throwing a football through a tiny hole they’d pay your crippling student debt.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I gave up on watching college football after one team had a half time thing sponsored by Dr. Pepper where if you were good enough at throwing a football through a tiny hole they’d pay your crippling student debt.

there's a couple game shows that have "paying off your student loans" as the grand prize now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's a couple game shows that have "paying off your student loans" as the grand prize now

lol do you then have to pay taxes on that?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

President Beep posted:

lol do you then have to pay taxes on that?

Just go on another game show where the prize is paying off your back taxes. Look this poo poo is not hard, keep up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shoeberto posted:

Just go on another game show where the prize is paying off your back taxes. Look this poo poo is not hard, keep up.

zeno’s tax burden

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

debt or no debt

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hell yeah cops baby love da cops

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

dang if that guy has the otter or tiger plates hell get away scott free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

driving a ferrin’ pickup though. obviously a liberal false flag.