Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

spaceblancmange posted:

I made a Texas chilli recipe from goons with spoons a few years ago (not Elyse's) and I'd do it more often if the ingredients were as easy and cheap to get as Asian and Indian are here.

Strangely enough the Asian supermarket near me is also the go to place for dried chillis and assorted American food.

GWS food can be gross sometimes but those guys know their chilli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

bee posted:

:lol: that's ok. What's the ILD button do?

Beans aren't vegetables! And technically neither are tomatoes. But I worded myself badly there, I was thinking aloud that your chili recipe could be even more delicious with the addition of some capsicum and maybe corn. Dunno if this makes it not a con carne anymore, I am obvs not a chili purist.

The old button sorry

I guess edit is not quote?

I mean this sorta comes down to vegetarian being an exclusive , and where you are taking your definition from, tomatoes being a really good example of where you are taking the definition from

Culinary dictionaries will define cucumber , broccoli, garlic and tomato all as vegetables, but botanical dictionaries will make the distinction

I agree with your point about adding more bulk to it, mostly this dish comes from pantry stable goods so it's nice to not have to open the fridge to make dinner

And I often use the "mince" as burrito filling with lettuce and carrot etc

Grated carrots also works well when added with the onion

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Oh yeah! I like to make a "veggo mince" which is a mix of canned crushed tomatoes, 5 bean mix, corn niblets, grated carrot, and chopped up and sauted capsicum, garlic and a little onion. If lil bee wasn't fussy about spices I'd add some chili but the garlic is enough to give it a little kick. Just cook it all up together on the stove then eat it as you prefer.

Goes great in wraps, in toasties, over the top of nacho chips, you can stir it through pasta as well.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
The bulgar wheat is a little tricky to get a hold of , but well worth it as a mince substitute

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Had a brunch catch-up with friends at the fish market. Nothing says a good brekky like a Japanese style lobster roll on a brioche with some salmon roe and kewpie mayo

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

McSpergin posted:

Had a brunch catch-up with friends at the fish market. Nothing says a good brekky like a Japanese style lobster roll on a brioche with some salmon roe and kewpie mayo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

every girl in the world seems to be a “foodie” and it makes me wish I had fewer allergies/ intolerances and cared about food more.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Currently devouring the leftover bits of the fish and squid I got after divvying all the seafood up relatively evenly. Shame, no spare tiger prawns or scallops

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
nippy this morning but everything is so clear, its going to be a top day

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

every girl in the world seems to be a “foodie” and it makes me wish I had fewer allergies/ intolerances and cared about food more.

I've been casually seeing a girl from Adelaide infrequently when she comes to Melbourne for tattoos or a gig that's not stopping in Adelaide. She doesn't seem to like anything - I'm not sure if it's a "never tried" thing or a "that's weird" thing from her, and I can't really be bothered to push it to take her somewhere different for once. I'm not sure if it would devolve into an argument or make her feel guilty, so I just suggest a lot of steakhouses. I might have to try and get her to come to somewhere completely vegetarian/vegan just so I make sure she doesn't get scurvy.

I do know she's a sucker for dessert though, so I guess I could just start taking her out for dessert instead.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

well why not posted:

Yep I was seeing three girls and they all love good food, so my wallet was copping a pasting and I gained a few kgs over the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
thread has crawled under the doona and wont get up

IK JESTERY NOTE:
I did the dumb thing again

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 17, 2021

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Spent the weekend packing and cleaning and now I have to work. It's bullshit.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

3 day week then im going to the forbidden coast for Blues on Broadbeach.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

crowtribe posted:

I've been casually seeing a girl from Adelaide infrequently when she comes to Melbourne for tattoos or a gig that's not stopping in Adelaide. She doesn't seem to like anything - I'm not sure if it's a "never tried" thing or a "that's weird" thing from her, and I can't really be bothered to push it to take her somewhere different for once. I'm not sure if it would devolve into an argument or make her feel guilty, so I just suggest a lot of steakhouses. I might have to try and get her to come to somewhere completely vegetarian/vegan just so I make sure she doesn't get scurvy.

I do know she's a sucker for dessert though, so I guess I could just start taking her out for dessert instead.
My ex was like that and I personally would consider it a major red flag moving forward.

Like if it's only gonna be a casual hookup then fine. Just don't move in with a person that can't eat the majority of food.

Imagine not being able to eat out anywhere that's not KFC or Macca's without extensive scanning through the menu to find something to eat that doesn't require major changes (no sauce, no cheese, remove X). Imagine finding out they got banned from delivery apps due to complaining about too many orders where they forgot to take off a topping or condiment (and you can absolutely not just scrape it off and deal.)

Anyway, rant over.

The lady I'm seeing is the opposite of that and it's so refreshing being able to just go to a place and decide what to eat when you get there.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Being in a relationship with someone that has dietary requirements that exclude things is a pain in the arse and I almost ask on the first date if there is any serious ones because I wont live the FODMAP diet again in my life time unless I actually need to for my own benefit.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Laserface posted:

Being in a relationship with someone that has dietary requirements that exclude things is a pain in the arse and I almost ask on the first date if there is any serious ones because I wont live the FODMAP diet again in my life time unless I actually need to for my own benefit.

The low-FODMAP diet isn't meant to be followed long term anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lolie posted:

The low-FODMAP diet isn't meant to be followed long term anyway.

true, but I simply wont compromise on the diet thing. the only exception is if the person is totally capable of preparing their own food, which my partner was not. I love cooking, but the limitations of that diet are far too restrictive to make excellent food.

she was never able to stick to the diet long enough to get the intended results (introducing foods one by one to see which one sets her IBS off) so it was just a constant battle.

Food is definitely the most addictive drug, she would always struggle to avoid super tasty foods she loved even if she know it was going to completely turn her guts inside out for 24hrs.

I dont wish it upon anyone and on the same token want to avoid ever living that way again.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

PancakeTransmission posted:

My ex was like that and I personally would consider it a major red flag moving forward.

Like if it's only gonna be a casual hookup then fine. Just don't move in with a person that can't eat the majority of food.

Imagine not being able to eat out anywhere that's not KFC or Macca's without extensive scanning through the menu to find something to eat that doesn't require major changes (no sauce, no cheese, remove X). Imagine finding out they got banned from delivery apps due to complaining about too many orders where they forgot to take off a topping or condiment (and you can absolutely not just scrape it off and deal.)

Anyway, rant over.

The lady I'm seeing is the opposite of that and it's so refreshing being able to just go to a place and decide what to eat when you get there.

I guess we were never meant to be.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

crowtribe posted:

She sounds like a manifestly boring person unless it's a health-driven or ethically-driven dietary restriction. But the way you describe it sounds like it's just that she won't eat anything but maccas because it's safe.
gently caress that, life's too short to not enjoy exciting food. I hope she's incredible in the sack or something like that to make up for it.

e: My partner had dietary issues that made things a challenge sometimes but she would do her best to work around it and would try to not let it limit me in any way. The least I could do as a result is put aside the mild frustration it sometimes caused because she made a genuine effort and was otherwise adventurous. Someone who just isn't interested in exciting food, though? Run.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 17, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Carlos Lantana posted:

thread has crawled under the doona and wont get up

IK JESTERY NOTE:
I did the dumb thing again

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
FYI ABC Classic FM has a show about video game music: https://www.abc.net.au/classic/programs/game-show/

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

e: My partner had dietary issues that made things a challenge sometimes but she would do her best to work around it and would try to not let it limit me in any way. The least I could do as a result is put aside the mild frustration it sometimes caused because she made a genuine effort and was otherwise adventurous. Someone who just isn't interested in exciting food, though? Run.

I was never personally limited by my ex's reqs but at the same time I was doing 100% of the cooking and I was sure as gently caress not going to be cooking 2 separate meals just so i could put onion and garlic in it.

I know there is ways around that (garlic infused olive oil for example) but its not a proper substitute if you cant put fuckloads of it in.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I used to have ARFID, and didn't even realise it. It was just 'normal' for me, as I'd had some form of it my entire life.

I ended up seeing a therapist when I was in uni because my anxiety was tanking my grades, and a side effect of sorting my anxiety out was that suddenly I could eat anything I wanted with no stress. My picky eating completely disappeared almost overnight, without me even consciously connecting it to my anxiety or discussing it at all in therapy.

Life is indescribably better now. Food is pretty fantastic*, as it turns out.

* except the pastizzis that I found in my freezer yesterday that had been there since 2016. They were pretty bad. Would not recommend.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 17, 2021

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
nothing will ever top prednisone munchies. its like developing an extra sense of taste.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Jestery posted:

The bulgar wheat is a little tricky to get a hold of , but well worth it as a mince substitute
Do you have a woolies near you? They sell it in the "health food" section with all the gluten free and vegan stuff. I'm assuming it's the same thing as bulgur wheat, I use it for tabouleh.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Strong Convections posted:

Do you have a woolies near you? They sell it in the "health food" section with all the gluten free and vegan stuff. I'm assuming it's the same thing as bulgur wheat, I use it for tabouleh.

Good to know, I live near a couple indian grocers so I can usually get it there tho

Bloody good poo poo though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's fine bulghur which you get in tabbouleh and coarse bulghur which can take more cooking without turning into mush, it comes out kinda like rice. It's good in kapuska, which is my favourite way to use up the shitloads of cabbage my in-laws give us

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I had mad mex and el jannah yesterday and I really think both are rad

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well why not posted:

I had mad mex and el jannah yesterday and I really think both are rad

el jannah has been copied enough now that there is better out there but respect the OG.

I went to one place that just puts garlic in tzatziki and it.....aint good.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
el Jannah is just charcoal chicken, it's not like they invented it. just the first to become super popular.

if you are in or around revesby or punchbowl I would recommend Awafi over el jannah. better priced, tastes just as good and you don't have to deal with lines that comes with hype. apparently they were in business with the el jannah folk originally before splitting off.

I am generally very wary of restaurants in Sydney that have a huge hype backing them. there is enough good food in Sydney that there is very likely an equivalent or better restaurant that isn't being parroted by inner west dickheads for cheaoer. like Frangos. their chicken is good but their sides are weak and you get poo poo service. just go 4 doors up to Silva's where you can get identical chicken, better sides and have a nice sit down meal with good service.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Big Willy Style posted:

el Jannah is just charcoal chicken, it's not like they invented it. just the first to become super popular.

if you are in or around revesby or punchbowl I would recommend Awafi over el jannah. better priced, tastes just as good and you don't have to deal with lines that comes with hype. apparently they were in business with the el jannah folk originally before splitting off.

I am generally very wary of restaurants in Sydney that have a huge hype backing them. there is enough good food in Sydney that there is very likely an equivalent or better restaurant that isn't being parroted by inner west dickheads for cheaoer. like Frangos. their chicken is good but their sides are weak and you get poo poo service. just go 4 doors up to Silva's where you can get identical chicken, better sides and have a nice sit down meal with good service.

I reckon this summarises chargrill Charlie tbh

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

i cant remember which we got the chips from but Frangos/Silvas do excellent fries. they came in a foil lined kebab style bag. they were extremely good.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

i cant remember which we got the chips from but Frangos/Silvas do excellent fries. they came in a foil lined kebab style bag. they were extremely good.

Doesnt this just help steam the fries?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

Doesnt this just help steam the fries?

we were in a flat above the shop so it was maybe 2 minutes from serve to arrival and the bag arrived open when my friend walked in (clearly enjoying the delicious fries)

I was also incredibly hosed up so it could be a mix of a lot of things but the seasoning was top notch.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Awafi pretty drat good

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the El-jannah likes are all pretty good imo.

the garlic sauce is tricky to perfect but most places have done it.

El-Wafi in seven hills plaza does an alright job but their chips are hosed. they go all-in on the chook seasoning too with good lemon/chilli ratio.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McSpergin posted:

I reckon this summarises chargrill Charlie tbh

CGC is pretty ok. Every one I’ve been to has been run by a plucky saffa for some reason.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

well why not posted:

CGC is pretty ok. Every one I’ve been to has been run by a plucky saffa for some reason.

The only one I went to was at Belrose and it was mediocre at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

McSpergin posted:

The only one I went to was at Belrose and it was mediocre at best

Belrose for you I guess. CGC seems to range wildly in quality with locations. Also If you turn your head sideways while looking at CGC it’s lol