Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
2.7 fps if anybody is watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SubG posted:

i only write organic free range software that won't interact with hardware or networks owned by corporations

rms parachute spotted

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

gently caress rms

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

what is this blockchain and friends erasure?!

Paladinus worked really hard on them and deserves a place in the history books

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm going to put my piss on blockchain.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

if we just shove more code in to the problem I'm sure we can fix it

Well, dumping a billion dollars a year on Memphis city schools did a bang up job fixing all problems, maybe it could use more code, too! Or blockchains!!!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CampingCarl posted:

the blockchain wont be slow though because the techguy said "I'm sending in more code"

He meant to say,”Morse code” and the blockchain was satiated.

Edit:

Paladinus posted:

I'm going to put my piss on blockchain.

I suggest “piss valued by the amount stored in the balls.”

Yikes at the mess! Does Imgur not paste bbcode to the Awful App anymore? How do I embed a timg on the app? My hilarious joke is ruined!

edit2: figured it out.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 18, 2021

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Paladinus posted:

while thing = bad
thing == good

heh

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
bitcoin explained by ai is getting a whole series?!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hammerite posted:

bitcoin explained by ai is getting a whole series?!

I explained Bitcoin to a nascent AI and it was so embarrassed for pre-sentient silicon it emp’d itself with a CRT Degaussing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

DerekSmartymans posted:

I explained Bitcoin to a nascent AI and it was so embarrassed for pre-sentient silicon it emp’d itself with a CRT Degaussing.

ah the self-inflicted buttlerian jihad

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1394486674298740743

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Agile Vector posted:

ah the self-inflicted buttlerian jihad

:discourse:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

im the wallstreet investors that are comforted by the sweet nothings that elon musk whispers in their ears

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

gently caress Dan Harmon, and gently caress Fox.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

No disagreement but it seems like the actual show has nothing to do with crypto at all, and it's only a "crypto" show because they're going to be selling NFT gifs ont he side.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Juul-Whip posted:

Hyperloop-rear end ideology

has anyone said Buttycombe yet?

it’s a comb that people can pay to shave your head when you least expect it.

it runs on coal and endangered salamanders.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1394402827477282818?s=20

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Is Chia even selling yet?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Beelzebufo posted:

No disagreement but it seems like the actual show has nothing to do with crypto at all, and it's only a "crypto" show because they're going to be selling NFT gifs ont he side.

So gently caress Dan Harmon is what you’re saying.

Also more people deleting their poo poo to try and make their NFTs worth something, forgetting it’s the internet and as soon as they announce they’re deleting it it’ll be downloaded and mirrored all over the place.
https://twitter.com/tanisthelesbiab/status/1394317996244361216?s=21

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

njsykora posted:

oh yes, gently caress dan harmon most assuredly. I just find it funny that once again a "Crypto [x]" is once again something entirely unrelated to crypto that has something stupid bolted on as an afterthough, and that all the press around is is like "groundbreaking" and "revolutionary". It's literally just NFT loot boxes for a show that will undoubtedly be broadcast and streaming.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

Also more people deleting their poo poo to try and make their NFTs worth something, forgetting it’s the internet and as soon as they announce they’re deleting it it’ll be downloaded and mirrored all over the place.

I can't imagine demand for seeing that video is high these days. It was only popular because it was uploaded in the early days of Youtube.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

njsykora posted:

nfts: what if i sold you a digital signature on a uri pointing to a jpg in the theory that you would then "own" the abstract idea of the jpg?

everyone: that's stupid

nfts: okay...then what if I also deleted the jpg after you "bought" it?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

SubG posted:

i only write organic free range software that won't interact with hardware or networks owned by corporations

is it gluten free

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
do ah look like ah know whut an n f t is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Juul-Whip posted:

Hyperloop-rear end ideology

look man it's not trying to solve a social problem with technology, it's trying to solve every single social problem with technology. so obviously it's better.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

njsykora posted:

when that first got big there was a local news story (cuz the video was taken locally or something?) about how the guy wanted to merchandise it and turn it into a brand lmao

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

i work for a company that makes semiconductor test equipment, including flash memory testers. that graph tells me "more bonuses are coming"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
are trashed ssds recyclable or do they just end up in a hole in the ground

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammerite posted:

are trashed ssds recyclable or do they just end up in a hole in the ground

Hole in the ground like most other ewaste, unfortunately.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
destroy cryptocurrency. and harangue & discredit cryptocurrency defenders

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Don't worry in a few years we'll work it out and the child labourers can dig it all back up.

lots of ewaste does get partially recycled actually, but it's often in back alley smelters which emit environmental lead. it's thought to be one of the major sources of lead poisoning globally

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

destroy cryptocurrency. and harangue & discredit cryptocurrency defenders

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

Is Chia even selling yet?

yes, the price has been fluctuating between $1000 and $1500

currently at $1300

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
so like does the network do anything? can you store poo poo on it?

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

text editor posted:

so like does the network do anything? can you store poo poo on it?

lol no. it makes bingo cards and then you check to see if your number is called. instead of gas you just refill your comp with SSDs every day.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dtseng123/status/1394676827256410112

quote:

BEIJING (Reuters) -China has banned financial institutions and payment companies from providing services related to cryptocurrency transactions, and warned investors against speculative crypto trading.

Under the ban, such institutions, including banks and online payments channels, must not offer clients any service involving cryptocurrency, such as registration, trading, clearing and settlement, three industry bodies said in a joint statement on Tuesday.

"Recently, crypto currency prices have skyrocketed and plummeted, and speculative trading of cryptocurrency has rebounded, seriously infringing on the safety of people's property and disrupting the normal economic and financial order," they said in the statement.
:sickos:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Does this or anyhthing they've done in the past prevent you from sending money from your bank to an exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Zopotantor posted:

i work for a company that makes semiconductor test equipment, including flash memory testers. that graph tells me "more bonuses are coming"

Good for you! My brother’s sawmill has been working three shift days a few times a week (you have to shut down for maintenance). It may not be permanent or sustainable, but he’s paying top dollar for unskilled labor and logs and he’s still making sick net profits. I’ve been there a couple of times after being vaccinated to give the front-end loader a break, paid via direct deposit, and sent home. His brother-in-law got in trouble because of hiring illegal aliens off book (timber harvesting and sales) because his wages are higher than construction for unskilled laborers he got audited.