Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Splode posted:

I'm sorry for nuking the thread!!

Ok first, single point Godzilla fans please remind us about it at the end of the month, when it's out of Netflix gaol so I remember to watch it. I wanted to but it's too difficult at the moment.

Ok so now for my offhand comment about MHA being fascist. It posits that all societies problems can and should be solved through force, and that this is good.

Weirdly, it's actually has the villains point out that this is hosed up, and that's a big part of why I haven't dropped it.

Honestly though it's biggest crime is just wasting time with "previously" and "next time" crap eating actual new episode content.

Currently in the manga, the main character is trying his hardest to save the main villain without having to just blindly punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The most questionable thing about MHA’s world is the way the government limits people’s quirk usage. If you aren’t a licensed hero you aren’t allowed to use your quirk in public ever (I guess there are exceptions for people like Hagakure who can’t turn theirs off), but in order to get licensed you have to have gone to one of a few elite high schools. So if you couldn’t get into one of those schools, or you only decide you want to become a hero later in life, too bad; you’re screwed. You can’t even use your quirk for normal things as part of a different job. I gather that this is something else that’s talked about in the spinoff but I’ve only seen the anime so I don’t know it’s presented there.

As for them being cops, well, obviously in a world with superpowers there would be some sort of government-run task force for dealing with superhuman threats, so I’m not sure why people are surprised by this. It’s probably the most realistic aspect of the show if you don’t count the fact that they all wear silly costumes. If the show made it clear that you could become a hero without having gone to a specific school there wouldn't be an issue.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think people get a bit too hung up about the morality and messaging of a show meant for Japanese tweens...I'm not saying turn your brain off or anything but viewing it through an adult western perspective isn't very productive.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

who was surprised by the existence of cops?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think people get a bit too hung up about the morality and messaging of a show meant for Japanese tweens...I'm not saying turn your brain off or anything but viewing it through an adult western perspective isn't very productive.

sure but being critically cognizant of the media you consume and its inherent messaging is still useful, and like sometimes interesting to talk about?

posting on an internet forum isn't productive either :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

sure but being critically cognizant of the media you consume and its inherent messaging is still useful, and like sometimes interesting to talk about?

I agree. I don't think discussing these things is bad, and my intention wasn't to halt any. but I think some people get hung up on certain things that should be handwaved away as "because it's for children". I think the cops thing is sort of an example of this, no one likes cops but cops are definitely not as negatively viewed in Japan as they are here.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well, they weren't really viewed negatively here until pretty recently i don't think! honestly if we're talking about american media i'm not even sure they're typically depicted negatively, so much as the recent political climate has shown a light on the difference between how cops are depicted in media vs how they actually behave

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bakeneko posted:

The most questionable thing about MHA’s world is the way the government limits people’s quirk usage. If you aren’t a licensed hero you aren’t allowed to use your quirk in public ever (I guess there are exceptions for people like Hagakure who can’t turn theirs off), but in order to get licensed you have to have gone to one of a few elite high schools. So if you couldn’t get into one of those schools, or you only decide you want to become a hero later in life, too bad; you’re screwed. You can’t even use your quirk for normal things as part of a different job. I gather that this is something else that’s talked about in the spinoff but I’ve only seen the anime so I don’t know it’s presented there.

As for them being cops, well, obviously in a world with superpowers there would be some sort of government-run task force for dealing with superhuman threats, so I’m not sure why people are surprised by this. It’s probably the most realistic aspect of the show if you don’t count the fact that they all wear silly costumes. If the show made it clear that you could become a hero without having gone to a specific school there wouldn't be an issue.

From what I remember the only thing the government is very firm about is using your quirk to hurt others. Everything else becomes a mixture of exceptions and depending on the scenario. For super hero licensing it is clear that there are countless schools doing it, it is just that most intention from the setting is given to one of the elite institutions.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

From what I remember the only thing the government is very firm about is using your quirk to hurt others. Everything else becomes a mixture of exceptions and depending on the scenario. For super hero licensing it is clear that there are countless schools doing it, it is just that most intention from the setting is given to one of the elite institutions.

I see. It's still not ideal (like there should be a kind of hero GED for people past high school) but the focus on UA makes it seem like a rare thing for people to be able to achieve. I guess this is another thing the manga/spinoff must go into in more detail.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Waffleman_ posted:

Currently in the manga, the main character is trying his hardest to save the main villain without having to just blindly punch.

Yeah, and several villains have explicitly called out the problems with the hero based society. I would not be surprised if these themes are all built on even more.

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah, exactly. I am not getting super serious about the dumb super hero show, but I think the themes and messages it sends are worth exploring.
Also, "it's made for children/teenagers" just means the messaging should be examined even more closely rather than ignored or dismissed, as that's a demographic who are considerably less critical.

In case it's not clear, I don't think anyone is a fascist for liking MHA or anything crazy like that. I just think elements of it's messaging are similar to the kinds of messaging fascist movements have used.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Splode posted:

In case it's not clear, I don't think anyone is a fascist for liking MHA or anything crazy like that. I just think elements of it's messaging are similar to the kinds of messaging fascist movements have used.

Thing is it feels more accurate to say it has authoritarian tones then fascist.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I see. It's still not ideal (like there should be a kind of hero GED for people past high school) but the focus on UA makes it seem like a rare thing for people to be able to achieve. I guess this is another thing the manga/spinoff must go into in more detail.

people can use their quirks in their jobs, i think uraraka is specified as coming from a family that owns a construction business where her quirk would be super duper useful, but she wants to be a hero instead and her parents support her in that. seems like there's licenses to use your quirk in public outside of the hero licenses, i'm pretty sure we're explicitly told at some point about job-related licenses being a thing.

i also suspect that whatever law is in place has language that's more centered around "if your quirk enables flight, don't go flying to commute to work because 15% of everyone has some means of flight but not everyone can go at the same speeds nor have the same level of control so we don't have good safety precautions for that many people up in the air" and less "if you have a fire quirk then using that to light your cigarette is illegal." but the show doesn't explore that angle uh, at all so no way to know unless a manga written by a different author has all the answers

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

people can use their quirks in their jobs, i think uraraka is specified as coming from a family that owns a construction business where her quirk would be super duper useful, but she wants to be a hero instead and her parents support her in that. seems like there's licenses to use your quirk in public outside of the hero licenses, i'm pretty sure we're explicitly told at some point about job-related licenses being a thing.

i also suspect that whatever law is in place has language that's more centered around "if your quirk enables flight, don't go flying to commute to work because 15% of everyone has some means of flight but not everyone can go at the same speeds nor have the same level of control so we don't have good safety precautions for that many people up in the air" and less "if you have a fire quirk then using that to light your cigarette is illegal." but the show doesn't explore that angle uh, at all so no way to know unless a manga written by a different author has all the answers

That makes a lot more sense.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Much like many of the american superhero comics it's inspired by, the biggest concern of the good guys in MHA is keeping the status quo intact.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i'm imagining 100 people flying over a crowded street and 50 of them are uraraka gently floating along at a walking pace and the other 50 are bakugo, cannoning themselves through the air at incredibly high speeds by constantly creating explosions

upon a law that passes requiring all flight to be under 20 mph the bakugos all shift to creating an explosion behind them and a smaller explosion in front of them every 3 seconds to modulate their speeds

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 17, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Srice posted:

Much like many of the american superhero comics it's inspired by, the biggest concern of the good guys in MHA is keeping the status quo intact.

I don't know if this has been explored (or closed off) later in the manga but there's a lot of text about how the status quo is both unstable and not working, and not just because they no longer have King Cop. If it never pays that off then yeah it's ~problematic~ but as far as I know, the question of "are villains a structural problem and not just a bunch of fuckers" is still open.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Caphi posted:

I don't know if this has been explored (or closed off) later in the manga but there's a lot of text about how the status quo is both unstable and not working, and not just because they no longer have King Cop. If it never pays that off then yeah it's ~problematic~ but as far as I know, the question of "are villains a structural problem and not just a bunch of fuckers" is still open.

While I quite like MHA I don't have a lot of faith that it'll answer that aspect of it in a satisfying way. My expectations are that there will be some minor change that's all the status quo needs to be considered fixed, and if it winds up doing going for anything bigger than that then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Splode posted:

Yeah, exactly. I am not getting super serious about the dumb super hero show, but I think the themes and messages it sends are worth exploring.
Also, "it's made for children/teenagers" just means the messaging should be examined even more closely rather than ignored or dismissed, as that's a demographic who are considerably less critical.

I wanna make it clear for the record that I'm completely on board for deeply analyzing the themes of anime and manga using philosophy and all the tools of media analysis, but, there's some serious shortcomings in analyzing a work that's a product of a completely different culture and it's own pre-existing cultural context with a different pre-existing cultural context and so far in this talk about these elements of MHA there isn't I think enough of a recognition that I'm not sure if any of us knows what its like to have interactions with Japanese police and how Japan's relationship with its law enforcement and criminal justice system compares with North America (and if anyone does live in Japan and has intimate first hand experiences with Japanese police I'd love to hear them!).

Not to say that you can't, someone can probably make a square peg fit into a round hole if they try hard enough, but it isn't going to be easy.

I think as an example, on Trash Taste Gigguk and Connor were recounting a story where Japanese police once asked them the nationalities of who were living in their flat, and on hearing that Gigguk was Thai demanded to see his passport and as soon as he brought out his British passport they skedadled out of there. The impression I got from podcasts like that, and following twitter accounts of English speaking bloggers living in Japan, and reading blogs is the relationship between the Japanese public with the reality of policing is different from the American publics relation with policing and the dissonance between that relationship and media depictions are very different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ftr there were in fact, protests against police in japan around the same time there were in america, because they tend to abuse the homeless and racial minorities quite badly. however cops in japan very rarely kill anyone (since they rarely carry guns) so the issue isn't nearly as much of a powderkeg.

the negative stereotypes about police in japan tend to relate to them being incompetent petty power mongers, rather than threats to societal safety or a complete enemy of the public. the trash taste podcast example you bring up, as loathe as i am to talk about the trash taste podcast in any context, is a good example of how japanese police behave and who they target.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ultimately for me, copaganda is copaganda... it doesn't have to be insidious or intentional, it just further pushes a message of 'police are the good guys who stop the bad guys'. in japan it might take hold differently than in america, but in america there's a huge percentage of pea brains that internalized that message as literally and childishly as humanly possible and it sucks. but our country also has a gun within 12 feet of you at all times no matter where you are, and our police are fitted like space marines, so naturally that kind of indoctrination is more dangerous here than anywhere else

so yeah, it is different. and i can grok that. people in japan did turn out and show up during the george floyd protests though, so they know what's up. it was pretty rad to see protesting all around the world actually

ninjewtsu posted:

well, they weren't really viewed negatively here until pretty recently i don't think! honestly if we're talking about american media i'm not even sure they're typically depicted negatively, so much as the recent political climate has shown a light on the difference between how cops are depicted in media vs how they actually behave
COPS was a huge show in america for a long time and had a pretty powerful effect. even parodies of COPS in the 90s did not specifically call out policing as problematic but just parodied the show format instead. closest you got was the Simpsons parody but that already was working off of Springfield police being incompetent in the series.

copaganda was successful enough that the rodney king trial and subsequent LA riots ended up not significantly tarnishing the reputation of policing. but i mean you look at how people still get more mad about property damage today than police brutality.. i dont really know where i'm going with this at this point. it just makes me angry i guess!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 17, 2021

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I like Blue Reflection Ray.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should watch more than the first couple of episodes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wanna make it clear for the record that I'm completely on board for deeply analyzing the themes of anime and manga using philosophy and all the tools of media analysis, but, there's some serious shortcomings in analyzing a work that's a product of a completely different culture and it's own pre-existing cultural context with a different pre-existing cultural context and so far in this talk about these elements of MHA there isn't I think enough of a recognition that I'm not sure if any of us knows what its like to have interactions with Japanese police and how Japan's relationship with its law enforcement and criminal justice system compares with North America (and if anyone does live in Japan and has intimate first hand experiences with Japanese police I'd love to hear them!).

Not to say that you can't, someone can probably make a square peg fit into a round hole if they try hard enough, but it isn't going to be easy.

I think as an example, on Trash Taste Gigguk and Connor were recounting a story where Japanese police once asked them the nationalities of who were living in their flat, and on hearing that Gigguk was Thai demanded to see his passport and as soon as he brought out his British passport they skedadled out of there. The impression I got from podcasts like that, and following twitter accounts of English speaking bloggers living in Japan, and reading blogs is the relationship between the Japanese public with the reality of policing is different from the American publics relation with policing and the dissonance between that relationship and media depictions are very different.

ok but even though i'm an american viewing a japanese cultural product i can still note my personal interaction with the themes of the work on this western-leaning message board. rather importantly, i think everyone involved in this conversation watches the show and enjoys it, so if there is a cultural difference and the show serves as an accurate depiction of police in japan it's not like anyone here is going to japanese people and making claims about the quality of their cartoons on this basis. if anyone does have knowledge (as endorph has helpfully provided) that can certainly enhance the discussion but lack of that context doesn't exactly disqualify such discussion from happening in the first place.

i never really like throwing out death of the author but it's a relevant idea here: the meaning is in what the viewer gets out of art, not what the author ascribed to it. as an american viewer my experience with it is as """valid""" as direct evidence from the work allows it to be.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm also capable of believing in a fictional/theoretical system with good intentions, particularly in what's effectively scifi, without believing that systems are inherently good or that the one we are living in is. Not all society needs to be authoritarian or copaganda. Much less the fact that MHA has, at least for now, satisfied me that it intends to subject its system to at least a bit of nuance.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean i'm sure if i wrote out another paragraph or two about why i disagree everyone would continue to think i'm a super cool dude making exclusively good posts in the spring anime thread, but honestly i don't think there's much more for anyone to say on the topic than "good for you bud" to each other

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

ninjewtsu posted:

ok but even though i'm an american viewing a japanese cultural product i can still note my personal interaction with the themes of the work on this western-leaning message board. rather importantly, i think everyone involved in this conversation watches the show and enjoys it, so if there is a cultural difference and the show serves as an accurate depiction of police in japan it's not like anyone here is going to japanese people and making claims about the quality of their cartoons on this basis. if anyone does have knowledge (as endorph has helpfully provided) that can certainly enhance the discussion but lack of that context doesn't exactly disqualify such discussion from happening in the first place.

i never really like throwing out death of the author but it's a relevant idea here: the meaning is in what the viewer gets out of art, not what the author ascribed to it. as an american viewer my experience with it is as """valid""" as direct evidence from the work allows it to be.

I am not saying it is disqualifying; only that the lack of qualifiers or disclaimer can be a somewhat disingenuous or unfair reading of the work when you divorce it from context to whatever degree you may know better.

It is a valid counterpoint to the discussion, your reading and interaction then by definition isn't the sole possible reading and interaction and people are allowed to point out the shortcomings and context you may be missing that leads to what to someone else, is an incomplete reading of the work.

ninjewtsu posted:

it's not like anyone here is going to japanese people and making claims about the quality of their cartoons on this basis.

I feel like there's a contradiction here, because you are saying it is making claims of American policing, or it is normalizing copaganda. I think the idea that you aren't making claims of Japan so its fine to say the work is making claims of America doesn't follow.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I am not saying it is disqualifying; only that the lack of qualifiers or disclaimer can be a somewhat disingenuous or unfair reading of the work when you divorce it from context to whatever degree you may know better.

It is a valid counterpoint to the discussion, your reading and interaction then by definition isn't the sole possible reading and interaction and people are allowed to point out the shortcomings and context you may be missing that leads to what to someone else, is an incomplete reading of the work.

i'd just like to throw out that if i got the opportunity to see a bunch of japanese people discussing king of the hill i'd be utterly fascinated in what they had to say whether or not the proper american context was injected into the conversation

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like there's a contradiction here, because you are saying it is making claims of American policing, or it is normalizing copaganda. I think the idea that you aren't making claims of Japan so its fine to say the work is making claims of America doesn't follow.

no i'm saying the show reads very pro cop. that being a good or bad thing is mostly going to depend on your personal view of cops and your cultural relationship with the police.

more specifically, this topic started with someone saying "it's really funny how fascist MHA is," multiple people replying "why would anyone think this show is fascist?" and i came in and explained that while i personally don't find the work fascist, it is blatantly pro-cop, so i can see why someone would make that jump even if i personally draw a big line between the two.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

you might say "didn't you call the show copaganda and doesn't that word carry significant negative connotations" and i would say "well yes but i put quotes around the word initially to convey that while the meaning is accurate i don't necessarily want to fully associate the word with the work. however that's me getting pretty pendantic and it's fair that my american context did influence my reading of the work, which does somewhat undermine me saying that whether my reading is a thumbs up or thumbs down on cops is all a matter of perspective. however, i don't feel like this contradiction is strong enough to hurt any arguments i have made but i do regret using the word copaganda now, even if at the time it helped serve as a bridge between viewing something as pro cop and viewing something as fascist, which was highly relevant at the time i made that post but isn't really relevant anymore."

presumably, you follow up with "who cares" and i agree

kater
Nov 16, 2010

they aren't cops, they are firefighters.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We do have a dedicated thread for MHA's ongoing adaptation, in case you want to further go into that rabbit hole, btw

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Vigilantes explores this more, but it's basically like jaywalking. It IS illegal to use your quirk in public without a license but everyone kind of does it in small ways so as long as it isn't obtrusive nobody cares. The main character is a guy who blows off steam by using his quirk to pick up litter and return dropped wallets. He's technically breaking the law but only gets a stern lecture when caught by a cop. When he starts being a real vigilante nobody really cares because he's helping and even pro heroes look the other way for him because they're not that uptight about it. It's also totally ok to use them in your own house.

However that's only when nothing bad happens. Season 4 of the anime showed that if you use your quirk without a license and someone gets hurt it is not just glossed over.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 17, 2021

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Endorph posted:

blue reflection ray is the second best show airing this season and im not kidding.

It's really been coming into its own over the past few of episodes after the shaky start, and I'm really interested to see just where it's going. Shame that pretty much everyone everywhere is kind of sleeping on it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It's really been coming into its own over the past few of episodes after the shaky start, and I'm really interested to see just where it's going. Shame that pretty much everyone everywhere is kind of sleeping on it.

A lot of people probably dismissed it thinking it was just going to be an adaptation of the game’s story, when for once they did the smart thing and actually came up with a new one. Not that the game’s story was bad or anything, I certainly liked it, but RPGs being adapted into anime have a terrible track record.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The two shows I'm watching this season fall exactly into the same spots you have them, ha.

Joran is solidly a good show that might end up as very good if it sticks the landing at the end. The art style is beautiful and consistent, and there's a lot of wonderful framing and composition in shots. Plot-wise, it's always got me nervous and on the edge of my seat and I like when a show makes me feel that way since watching weekly means it needs to keep my interest.

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART is solidly a bad show because it is boring but also trying to do too much at the same time. Because it's also a sequel(?) series, I can't help but compare it to the original series every time something happens. It's so solidly boring/bad/misfiring on all plot points that I'm tempted to do a complainypants writeup after I struggle through to the end.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

is higewosoru worth watching?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

marumaru posted:

is higewosoru worth watching?

Yes.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

KariOhki posted:

The two shows I'm watching this season fall exactly into the same spots you have them, ha.

Joran is solidly a good show that might end up as very good if it sticks the landing at the end. The art style is beautiful and consistent, and there's a lot of wonderful framing and composition in shots. Plot-wise, it's always got me nervous and on the edge of my seat and I like when a show makes me feel that way since watching weekly means it needs to keep my interest.

Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART is solidly a bad show because it is boring but also trying to do too much at the same time. Because it's also a sequel(?) series, I can't help but compare it to the original series every time something happens. It's so solidly boring/bad/misfiring on all plot points that I'm tempted to do a complainypants writeup after I struggle through to the end.

the most accurate expression would be Joran and Mars Red sharing their slots, since i'm pitting them against each other as supernatural alt history shows. Joran kept an undisputed lead up until now, but this Makoto stuff...makes sense but is not that interesting to me. in the same week Mars Red lays its cards on the table and has a big and emotional climax so i'm more on board there.

i took ReSTART as motivation to just experience all Battle Athletes so i'm in all aspects of that mess...mainly in conflicts between the OVA and TV versions. but ofc ReSTART is here comparing unfavorably to both as it consistently invokes them. the OVA seemed to me like a fine base for the series to build from: it had decent bones for character work, a satisfying conclusion, and the sort of straight-faced melodrama that's great to have in sports shows. obviously held back by limited length, some questionable gags, and animation/direction that weren't always aligned with my (maybe too high) expectations of an older OVA. meanwhile TV does deliver on that general idea of "OVA but bigger, better/broader" and i really enjoyed the first half. accepting the Satellite arc's reset of both the cast and most of Akari's development has been hard and stalled out my watch lol. compounded by the drastically different take you get on Kris, and questionable bits in that vein like Ichino's brother butting between her and Akari, or Jessie having some ooc gay panic. it's all very of its time but the OVA's take feels less offputting through some combination of its brevity and slightly restrained comedy, and the sweet ending you do get with Kris and Akari.

ReSTART's obvious issues aside, the timeline stuff just continues to nag at me as they try to set up even more connections with the confirmation of Tomoe, Lahrri, and Akari as past Beauties. i'm working with incomplete info when it comes to the og series, but 120 years moving us into an as-yet unexplained Lunar civil war where both sides are armed by the Gurtlands feels like a bit of a leap for direct continuity. a lot of the other stuff can chalk up to just fanservice where the names are used with no strong connection to prior characters (Shelley, Jefferson, Paglia, Ms. Cookie being a Rosnovsky), and i could reasonably expect dudes like the Shadow Triad to get a hold over an annual competition like Cosmo Beauty at some point.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I just watched the first two episodes of Blue Reflection Ray and yeah this definitely seems like a good one.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it's all very of its time but the OVA's take feels less offputting through some combination of its brevity and slightly restrained comedy, and the sweet ending you do get with Kris and Akari.

It's been years since I've seen either version, longer for the OVA, but I always preferred the TV series more. I think the wackiness of Anna's arc in the OVA puts me off more than the changes to Kris, the left field ending, or any out of character moments others have.

At least both were actually about sports at the front, and the people around them doing sports, unlike ReSTART which seems to forget the main plot is supposed to be about a sports competition!

dogsicle posted:

a lot of the other stuff can chalk up to just fanservice where the names are used with no strong connection to prior characters (Shelley, Jefferson, Paglia, Ms. Cookie being a Rosnovsky), and i could reasonably expect dudes like the Shadow Triad to get a hold over an annual competition like Cosmo Beauty at some point.

Thanks for the reminder about Ms. Cookie's name, since she's just sort of existed the entire time that I forgot her name was even mentioned. That's one of the things that irks me, that line in the first episode about "how all the students call her Ms. Cookie" but we never see her interacting with the students. "Telling, Not Showing" is a major issue ReSTART has.

My thoughts on the shadow guys are (speculation, spoilers for end of the OG TV series and most recent ReSTART episode) they're somehow connected to the Nerilians. There was some line about brokering peace for a bit longer in an episode. But could be entirely off course here, since that organization that kidnapped Paglia also seems to be about taking over things.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I knew MHA was bad and not worth watching the minute I saw the ugly rear end character designs personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
MHA gave us EndHawks so it's not all bad