Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I also started Girls5eva and it's really funny. It's weird how we're at the point of having nostalgia for the 2000s/ MTV TRL era already? The release of the show is perfect timing with that Britney Spears documentary.

I mentioned this is another thread but I've been binging MTV's The Challenge. Back to back, 20 seasons ish, you get to hear lots of musical trends in a bizarre fast-forward.

This last season is Old School with people who were actually on the real world/road rules in years I may have seen. They're playing oldies on the backing track and the sound programmer is obviously having fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
Binged The Tunnel this weekend and while being an extremely dark show, I most enjoyed seeing DCI Stannis Baratheon, son of a communist coal miner and father of 5 children with 3 different women.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Girls5eva is good. I see a few people looking for light hearted humor. This falls into that category.

It's in the same vein as 30 Rock, Kimmy Schmidt, Great News, and Mr. Mayor with that 2 jokes a minute style and whimsical score. Tina Fey shows up in a ridiculous cameo even. I would think that if you liked any of those shows then you will like Girls5eva.

Funniest moment for me is when the secretary from AP Bio whipped her boob out to prove she wasn't a prude. Good stuff.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Girls5eva is good.

Funniest moment for me is when the secretary from AP Bio whipped her boob out to prove she wasn't a prude. Good stuff.

Paula Pell is a national treasure. Her silly detective show on Quibi was cute too, but it was also obviously a half hour episode split in three three times for nine "episodes." God Quibi was stupid

In terms of light-hearted stuff, we're really enjoying Kim's Convenience. It has a similar sort of ensemble thing going on as Schitt's Creek did, and everyone is just a good hearted person (for the most part - everyone has moments where you just roll your eyes, especially Janet for the majority of the second season as a bit of a know-it-all).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Pajser posted:

Binged The Tunnel this weekend and while being an extremely dark show, I most enjoyed seeing DCI Stannis Baratheon, son of a communist coal miner and father of 5 children with 3 different women.

Now follow it up with Bron (Danish) and The Bridge ( U.S.) and report back.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Binged through Derry Girls in one sitting with my spouse and we absolutely loved it. Everyone just nails the acting and I don't think I've genuinely enjoyed a comedy show as much as this in a long time. I hope we eventually get another season, it looks like it got delayed due to COVID.

The downside though is that it reminded me of the existence of Take That and now Pray has been stuck in my head since then :mad:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For wholesome shows did no one mention Kim's Convenience?

sparksbloom posted:

Rewatching Six Feet Under for like the fifth or sixth time and looking for recs of this kind of show — low-stakes dramedy with some amount of depth. Mad Men and Succession scratch the same itch for me. Also really loved Enlightened.

Although it had a few issues that if I recall correctly an unusually articulate commentor on Alan Sepinwall's reviews of the show managed to rip it apart for, Parenthood fits this description. It's similar to SFU only without the darkness of the funeral home background and the constant proximity to death and is from the same era, maybe a little after.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 17, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Still working my way through Girls5Eva. LOL at that Tina Fey cameo.

Also, Dennis Duffy. And The Maskical.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 18, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WhiteHowler posted:

No. It looks fun. I know it's generally played for silliness, but how much actually spooky imagery is there? My wife is prone to weird dreams if we watch anything creepy or gory just before bed.

Its got VERY good horror stuff but its ALWAYS played for a laugh. So it probably depends on how sensitive you are to it because you might see something spooky at first glance but it will get silly quick.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Cactus posted:

For wholesome shows did no one mention Kim's Convenience?

Although it had a few issues that if I recall correctly an unusually articulate commentor on Alan Sepinwall's reviews of the show managed to rip it apart for, Parenthood fits this description. It's similar to SFU only without the darkness of the funeral home background and the constant proximity to death and is from the same era, maybe a little after.

I watched and enjoyed most of Parenthood (don’t think I ever saw the last season though.) Some truly wretched plotlines — “hey pregnant coffee cart lady, can I have your baby” comes to mind — but definitely the same kind of emotional, character-driven storytelling. Friday Night Lights too.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Finished up Industry and don't really know what to think. My interest faded in and out through the eight episode season. It is difficult watching these shows about a bunch of people with zero redeeming qualities. Basically every main character is a piece of trash. And the show runners really tried too hard to make the show edgy. No real reason for that....imo.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Binging House after half watching when it aired, up to Season 8 now. Man this season is so unpleasant to watch, after 7 seasons of growth house crashes his car into Cuddy's house and just reverts back to his original self. Cuddy's not in the final season at all, it says online it was a pay dispute thing but surely there must have been something more, it basically feels like a spin-off with so few characters remaining.

They could have done something like Mad Men, where House slowly getting older, less respected, fewer friends and more pathetic was an intentional choice, but I'm not sure how much it was. The one story I've enjoyed is Foreman's realistic character growth from someone who looks up to House, to his boss who genuinely seems to dislike and no longer respect him.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Finished Halt and Catch Fire last night. I had to take a break mid way through the last season. I don’t remember caring for made up people since The Wire. Great recommendation!

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I stopped watching Supernatural in like 2013 and since it ended recently I decided to binge through the 7 or so seasons since then. I actually enjoyed it way more than I was expecting:

It was nice to see some old characters again! I was especially happy to see more Gabriel and find out more poo poo that happened with him and Loki. The way he died felt a little more meaningful than his fake death in the hotel (the elysium, I think?). He was my favorite character so it was nice to see him again, even if it was brief.

Some great episodes! The Scooby Doo one was SO GOOD. I also enjoyed the episode where Chuck relegated Sam and Dean to side characters so they had like several years of Normal People Problems happen to them at once :lol:. "Have we ever been able to pick locks?!?"

I ended up liking Jack way more than I thought I would. I thought he was a little boring at first but he really grew on me, I liked his whole cheerful attempting to hunt with Sam and Dean thing and I especially liked the moments where he tried to pass as a FBI agent with them :haw:. I also really liked the actor as the demon Belphagar (sp?). That was fantastic.

Cas dying really hosed me up but it seems like eventually Jack rescued him from The Empty and brought him to heaven (or possibly got rid of The Empty all together? It seems like something he would do). Mischa Collins loving nailed that scene, he was amazing.

Finally, one of things I hated the most though was that loving terrible cover of Carry on My Wayward Son at the very end. I hated it so much that it took me out of the show and the whole time I was thinking about how if Dean could hear what we could then he'd be really pissed off. Like holy poo poo, it was the worst.

Anyway now I feel kind of weird that it isn't on anymore, it's just kind of been there for so long and now it isn't. Glad they finally ended it though, haha.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Finished Halt and Catch Fire last night. I had to take a break mid way through the last season. I don’t remember caring for made up people since The Wire. Great recommendation!

I should start watching this soon like I've been meaning to, I need some more made-up people to care way too much about now. :buddy:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Supernatural is very close to my heart

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bowmore posted:

Supernatural is very close to my heart

Too close for the surgeons to operate??? :3

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Are there any recent-ish horror series anyone can recommend? I've done Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, American Horror Story, Lovecraft Country, Supernatural. I know "Them" is on prime but I noticed a goon a few pages back saying it was a less good Lovecraft country so might give it a miss for the time being. Looking for stuff more on the serious side of the scale rather than campy and over the top a la American Horror Story.

Also, to the goons looking for light-hearted low-stakes stuff; it might be difficult to find without :filez: depending on your location, but Hamish and Andy's Gap Year and Hamish and Andy's Perfect Holiday, have been the go-to for my other half and I for winding down since discovering them last year. Two Australian best friends making a light-hearted travel documentary which is mostly a game of one-upmanship, it's nothing groundbreaking but it has a nice friendly vibe. I'd compare it to the tv equivalent of listening to a familiar podcast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tea Bone posted:

Are there any recent-ish horror series anyone can recommend? I've done Haunting of Hill House/Bly Manor, American Horror Story, Lovecraft Country, Supernatural. I know "Them" is on prime but I noticed a goon a few pages back saying it was a less good Lovecraft country so might give it a miss for the time being. Looking for stuff more on the serious side of the scale rather than campy and over the top a la American Horror Story.

Channel Zero. What you want is Channel Zero.

There are also selected episodes of Inside No 9 (the season finales are always horror, start with them), Castle Rock (not always very scary, but very well written) and Hannibal.

But yeah, Channel Zero is the show you want.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Took me like a week to get through the first few episodes of Schitt's Creek because I thought it was an rear end in a top hat protagonist/everyone show...but it's actually kinda the opposite. Parks and Rec vibes. Very funny too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Schitt's Creek takes a little bit to get there but its basically all about love. I'm rewatching it and am now in the S3-4 sweet spot and its basically making me cry tears of joy every episode or two.

Tea Bone posted:

The Exorcist was very good.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Tea Bone posted:

Also, to the goons looking for light-hearted low-stakes stuff; it might be difficult to find without :filez: depending on your location, but Hamish and Andy's Gap Year and Hamish and Andy's Perfect Holiday, have been the go-to for my other half and I for winding down since discovering them last year. Two Australian best friends making a light-hearted travel documentary which is mostly a game of one-upmanship, it's nothing groundbreaking but it has a nice friendly vibe. I'd compare it to the tv equivalent of listening to a familiar podcast.

I agree with the post right underneath yours.....Channel Zero. Really really good. In fact....I think I may go back through all four seasons. Quick watches with each of the four seasons clocking in at a little over four hours total (six episodes at around 42 minutes per).

And....while not really a "series"....and not really all that serious for most of them....Hulu has their "Into The Dark" anthology "series" which is actually just a full length horror/suspense/thriller movie which they release monthly. Very hit or miss....but decent to have on in the background if you've got something else going on too.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the season 1 finale of The Magicians and :stonk:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

I've been letting Stargate: SG-1 play as a background show and It's loving hilarious to me that it seems like every single actor pronounces Gao'uld differently and it seems like some of them even change the way they pronounce it every single time they say it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I've been letting Stargate: SG-1 play as a background show and It's loving hilarious to me that it seems like every single actor pronounces Gao'uld differently and it seems like some of them even change the way they pronounce it every single time they say it.

haha yeah I found the same thing amusing, when I went through SG-1 several years back. Kinda reminds me of everyone pronouncing 'Suez' in 'Suez Canal' vastly differently I guess, earlier this year :D

Kinda tempted to watch The Magicians now, after everyone's posts. Still finishing Stranger Things with my partner, though. Also thinking about rewatching Money Heist soonish, in preparation for when the next season eventually comes out...

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah I found the same thing amusing, when I went through SG-1 several years back. Kinda reminds me of everyone pronouncing 'Suez' in 'Suez Canal' vastly differently I guess, earlier this year :D

There's more than one way to pronounce Suez? I couldn't even find an alternate pronunciation on google.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Aardvark! posted:

There's more than one way to pronounce Suez? I couldn't even find an alternate pronunciation on google.

Sue-ez (like pez) vs Sue’s?

That’s the only thing I can think of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Billy Joel pronounces it "Sewers"

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Billy Joel pronounces it "Sewers"

I'm pretty sure that's just a New York accent thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TMMadman posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a New York accent thing.

It still counts!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t take pronunciation tips from people who can barely speak.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Just finished the season 1 finale of The Magicians and :stonk:

Oh god I just finished it too, what the hell :gonk:

I love this show now, it’s weird as gently caress and has me going between being horrified to amused then right back to horrified again

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It gets even more insane.

Just wait til you get to the time loop.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It gets even more insane.

Just wait til you get to the time loop.

If you think that's insane, wait until you get to the time loop

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If you think that's insane, wait until you get to the time loop

O man, that time loop though!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

O man, that time loop though!

Please mark spoilers for those of us who haven't gotten that far.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you think the time loop is crazy then waitll you get to the cannibalism season.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

Yeah, all sorts, from what I've heard. Like:

Sue-ez
Sue's
Sewers
Sea-wers
Sea-EHz

I reckon I've heard a couple more random ones, too. Pretty funny, how creative some people are! :D

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Channel Zero. What you want is Channel Zero.

There are also selected episodes of Inside No 9 (the season finales are always horror, start with them), Castle Rock (not always very scary, but very well written) and Hannibal.

But yeah, Channel Zero is the show you want.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I agree with the post right underneath yours.....Channel Zero. Really really good. In fact....I think I may go back through all four seasons. Quick watches with each of the four seasons clocking in at a little over four hours total (six episodes at around 42 minutes per).

And....while not really a "series"....and not really all that serious for most of them....Hulu has their "Into The Dark" anthology "series" which is actually just a full length horror/suspense/thriller movie which they release monthly. Very hit or miss....but decent to have on in the background if you've got something else going on too.

Thanks, I watched the first episode of Channel Zero when it first aired a few years ago and disregarded it for some reason but it's really hitting the spot this time around.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Brockmire, Hulu.

Comedy. Dirty, witty.

Started a second run through. It's goood.

A 'golden voiced' baseball announcer has a very public breakdown. After a few years out of the limelight, he takes a job in the minor leagues...

You'll get a read on the humor in 5 minutes so quick to check. Also, it has a proper ending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I binged it all the way through a couple weeks ago. My brain keeps thinking "DRINK A BEER, PEOPLE. DRINK A BEER!" in Hank azaria's voice.