Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Vindolanda posted:

No idea about the truth of it, but I recall reading somewhere that the Italian Navy had to issue orders against captains unnecessarily going down with the ship (presumably this was in WW2).

ahh that's what was on Francesco Schettino's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Murgos posted:

I expect that Sherman had PTSD, or something like it, and probably shouldn't have been in command of the Army after the war. You can't really take someone whose brilliance is total war and then be like, 'here handle this situation in a reasonable and measured way."

I came across a paper a while back that was trying to assemble violent crime data across history. It made the argument that there was a MASSIVE spike after the ACW and really we've been on the downward slope of that ever since.

Which if you think about what behavior is shown in the typical western it starts to make a lot of sense that everyone had PTSD.

Great Great Granddad fought for Sherman down south and spent some time in a field hospital near Atlanta. He didn't have anything amputated, but stories go that he had massive night terrors in the farmhouse after the war. He lived until he was in his late 80s, so my grampa grew up in the house and was able to re-tell some of the stories.

I think his company was 1000 when it formed and ended the war with 300 something men.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GarethJennings3/status/1393101451149316097

That's rough.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Turned Up Ridiculously Drunk

Or poo poo himself in hia poopee suit

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I remember reading a story about a backseater on a Prowler who had to take a poo poo over Baghdad. Makes me wonder if that was him.

Also, "Jester" was a good Top Gun callsign since the dude had no chill.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
lol

https://twitter.com/armystrang/status/1393571726588588033?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ap/status/1393573019814174720?s=21

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Clearly the building was a Hamas command post which justified that targeting decision /s

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The P in AP could have stood for Palestinian, frankly they couldn't risk not firing

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It seems like the Navy goes more for acronyms about dumb stuff you've done, while the Air Force likes to make puns based on peoples' names. Not a 100% rule but it seems to be the tendency.

The absolute best callsign I ever heard about was for a guy who forgot to tuck himself back in after using the relief tube on a flight. After he lands and is walking around the flight deck with his junk hanging out, he is christened "DOOFUS": Dick Out Of Flightsuit, Unusually Small.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It seems like the Navy goes more for acronyms about dumb stuff you've done, while the Air Force likes to make puns based on peoples' names. Not a 100% rule but it seems to be the tendency.

The absolute best callsign I ever heard about was for a guy who forgot to tuck himself back in after using the relief tube on a flight. After he lands and is walking around the flight deck with his junk hanging out, he is christened "DOOFUS": Dick Out Of Flightsuit, Unusually Small.

A friend was in NFO school at Pensacola and one of his classmates was christened FUNGUS: "gently caress you, new guy, you suck."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Hmm...

UTAH: UpTight rear end in a top hat
Social Reject: This was a placeholder to see if he'd dig himself out of a hole he dug by allegedly poo poo-talking the unit before arriving...he did
Wimpy: brought a multitude of burgers on an 8 hour flight, storing them in various pockets
Zippy: would get Red Bull/Rip It straight from the IV if possible
Egon: saw a ghost in his hotel room at Nellis
2-Ply: Had to take a poo poo while on a run through the middle of nowhere...finished his run sans socks
Sox: Answered his front door wearing nothing but one sock

Name puns are extremely common, too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

Hmm...

Egon: saw a ghost in his hotel room at Nellis

I've stayed at hotel rooms near Nellis a few times to photograph Red Flag arrivals/departures from the racetrack, and I can confirm that this checks out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If I were a Navy pilot I would just do stupid stuff around badass animals like let myself get lightly mauled by a panther or maybe let a scorpion sting my dick

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Thomamelas posted:

So there is a bit of milhistory to this. The period where you tend to see a lot of PTSD like symtoms in American Westerns in the period right after WWII up into the late 50's. And that tends to mirror the experiences of returning Vets. It becomes kind of a way of discussing a fairly taboo theme. And the link with the ACW and WWII makes it easy to set up. A fair number of directors were also using it to process their own issues. Prior to the war, George Stevens is a proto-Mel Brooks. After the war his filmography is Shane, Giant, The Diary of Anne Frank among others. So I'd be careful at using at part of the genre to try to figure out what's actually happening in the US in the period.

Toward the Unknown (which features flight testing footage of the XB-51) touches on PTSD and the lingering effects of torture and imprisonment.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

If I were a Navy pilot I would just do stupid stuff around badass animals like let myself get lightly mauled by a panther or maybe let a scorpion sting my dick

Let's see, call signs would be 'Kitten' and 'Puffy'.

You can't game a military nickname. It doesn't matter what you did, military nicknames are always at least moderately insulting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So the thing the CF general who was handling the covid vaccine distribution got pulled for was he exposed himself while a student at military college in freakin 1989 and it has come back at him now, wild.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There, see? Problem solved. Nothing else to see here.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

I knew a guy who was an F-14 RIO that got the nickname "Sharky" after he and his pilot had to bail out from an engine flameout on takeoff (good ol' TF30s), and the first thing he did was grab and start using the shark repellent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Shark repellant is a very cold war story.

https://youtu.be/4u54c7cRAog

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't blame that guy, you don't take any risks with loving sharks

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

aphid_licker posted:

just use a condom and have an exit plan

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

He probably saw Jaws a few times…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Swedish air force's most prominent Gripen display pilot has the call sign "Starbutt", but I don't know if the why is public information...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So here's a cold war what-if for you:

https://twitter.com/Sharon_Kuruvila/status/1394501507177984000

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

This is a good book, apropos of nothing in particular:

https://www.amazon.com/Yiddish-Policemens-Union-Novel-P-S/dp/0007149832

Also, have the forums stopped in-lining twitter links for everyone else, or is it just some weird setting on my end?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I read it a few years ago, and thought it was excellent.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
What’s the discount rate when you do this before FMS delivery, I wonder?

https://twitter.com/laurieskrivan/status/1394664519935397890?s=21

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I feel like there's a good alt-hist book to be written for Uncle Ho's OSS contacts talking Truman into telling the French to gently caress off after 1945 when they wanted their colonies back and <waves hands> that happening somehow.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Madurai posted:

I feel like there's a good alt-hist book to be written for Uncle Ho's OSS contacts talking Truman into telling the French to gently caress off after 1945 when they wanted their colonies back and <waves hands> that happening somehow.

Same thing happened in China, iirc George C. Marshall visited Yannan and in 47-48 didn't believe that Chiang was vital to US foreign interests; and felt that the Chinese communists could be convinced to remain friendly with the United States; there's loads of missed opportunities by the US to have drove a wedge between the USSR and other communist movements early on if they'd been more on the ball. It probably would have saved millions of lives.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Raenir Salazar posted:

Same thing happened in China, iirc George C. Marshall visited Yannan and in 47-48 didn't believe that Chiang was vital to US foreign interests; and felt that the Chinese communists could be convinced to remain friendly with the United States; there's loads of missed opportunities by the US to have drove a wedge between the USSR and other communist movements early on if they'd been more on the ball. It probably would have saved millions of lives.

The other thing that would have saved millions of lives is if the US didn’t go rabidly anti-communist.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Trying to engineer your pilot nickname reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George tries to get the nickname "T-Bone" and winds up with "Koko the Gorilla."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The other thing that would have saved millions of lives is if the US didn’t go rabidly anti-communist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But enough about Italy.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Stellar reporting from CNN.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Phanatic posted:

They are either implying that's a fighter jet or a small aircraft, and either way it's hilarious.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

By the way, I didn't think I'd wake up today and discover an entire new way that Senator Joe McCarthy sucked but here we are.

Today I found out that in 1949 he was waging what was described as a "one man crusade" on behalf of, get this, the Germans convicted as war criminals for the Malmedy massacre.

Yes, the Malmedy massacre where American POWs were machinegunned and then survivors finished off with pistol shots to the head.

Why? Something about him thinking that their confessions were coerced was the official reason, but I kinda suspect it was tied up with him hating communists given his later behavior. That's just conjecture on my part, though.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

zoux posted:

The idea of field amputations has hosed me up since I saw Dances with Wolves and learned such things happened.

Before anesthetics were a thing, the trick was to be quick about it. Reportedly, Larrey performed 200 amputations within 24 hours during the battle of Berezina.

He also performed a pre-anaesthetic mastectomy on Frances Burney, who wrote a letter about the experience.

I mounted, therefore, unbidden, the Bed stead – & M. Dubois placed me upon the Mattress, & spread a cambric handkerchief upon my face. It was transparent, however, & I saw, through it, that the Bed stead was instantly surrounded by the 7 men & my nurse. I refused to be held; but when, Bright through the cambric, I saw the glitter of polished Steel – I closed my Eyes. I would not trust to convulsive fear the sight of the terrible incision. Yet – when the dreadful steel was plunged into the breast – cutting through veins – arteries – flesh – nerves – I needed no injunctions not to restrain my cries. I began a scream that lasted unintermittingly during the whole time of the incision – & I almost marvel that it rings not in my Ears still? so excruciating was the agony. When the wound was made, & the instrument was withdrawn, the pain seemed undiminished, for the air that suddenly rushed into those delicate parts felt like a mass of minute but sharp & forked poniards, that were tearing the edges of the wound. I concluded the operation was over – Oh no! presently the terrible cutting was renewed – & worse than ever, to separate the bottom, the foundation of this dreadful gland from the parts to which it adhered – Again all description would be baffled – yet again all was not over, – Dr. Larry rested but his own hand, & – Oh heaven! – I then felt the knife (rack)ling against the breast bone – scraping it!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Phanatic posted:

I think all they did was type airspace violated into google images and grab the first result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

I mounted, therefore, unbidden, the Bed stead – & M. Dubois placed me upon the Mattress, & spread a cambric handkerchief upon my face. It was transparent, however, & I saw, through it, that the Bed stead was instantly surrounded by the 7 men & my nurse. I refused to be held; but when, Bright through the cambric, I saw the glitter of polished Steel – I closed my Eyes. I would not trust to convulsive fear the sight of the terrible incision. Yet – when the dreadful steel was plunged into the breast – cutting through veins – arteries – flesh – nerves – I needed no injunctions not to restrain my cries. I began a scream that lasted unintermittingly during the whole time of the incision – & I almost marvel that it rings not in my Ears still? so excruciating was the agony. When the wound was made, & the instrument was withdrawn, the pain seemed undiminished, for the air that suddenly rushed into those delicate parts felt like a mass of minute but sharp & forked poniards, that were tearing the edges of the wound. I concluded the operation was over – Oh no! presently the terrible cutting was renewed – & worse than ever, to separate the bottom, the foundation of this dreadful gland from the parts to which it adhered – Again all description would be baffled – yet again all was not over, – Dr. Larry rested but his own hand, & – Oh heaven! – I then felt the knife (rack)ling against the breast bone – scraping it!

:allbuttons:

loving hellfire.