Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not using a tiling wm is like having your physical desk covered with randomly scattered overlapping papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
I use like... 7 i3 commands and rarely find myself needing anything else

this is not saying i3 is suitable for most people but it's fine for my terminally computered brain

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wanted to install a twm and my trusted source told me to look into swing on wayland.

I run Debian 10 with an nvidia card :emo:

e: I just want someone’s sane dot files I can clone

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

animist posted:

this is not saying i3 is suitable for most people but it's fine for my terminally computered brain

i would say i3 is perhaps the most suitable tiling wm for most people. i think its the most popular one so there is a lot of support for it. i also love the way you split containers vertically / horizontally to make what ever layout you need on the fly.

my idiotic reason for not using it is that the workspaces don't exist until created. i can't articulate why this bothers me but it does. if you're not mentally afflicted like me (ie extremely used to a particular style of twm) and you want to get into tiling wms, i3 is solid.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

im not a huge fan of tiling wms because i think all the tiling schemes are less useful than 2 windows side by side and then as many monitors as you can fit on your desk and then virtual desktops to switch between

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hifi posted:

im not a huge fan of tiling wms because i think all the tiling schemes are less useful than 2 windows side by side and then as many monitors as you can fit on your desk and then virtual desktops to switch between

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

hifi posted:

2 windows side by side

this happens by default on my default layout and i dont have to do poo poo for it to occur if i open 2 windows. i also have the option for more niche layouts for the 10% of cases where it matters

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Is a tiling window manager lien the win+arrow key stuff in Windows?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

pointsofdata posted:

Is a tiling window manager lien the win+arrow key stuff in Windows?

twms are to native window snapping what org-mode is to a 21st century note-taking app

that is, if you put on your best pair of suspenders and learn an ad-hoc configuration file format, you might be able to painstakingly janitor it into something similar but way uglier and buggier

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i3 also has sway as a drop in replacement for when you switch to wayland

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

NihilCredo posted:

twms are to native window snapping what org-mode is to a 21st century note-taking app

that is, if you put on your best pair of suspenders and learn an ad-hoc configuration file format, you might be able to painstakingly janitor it into something similar but way uglier and buggier

I wish this was the case. But i3 does stuff I can't get to happen in gnome or other DEs without fuckling poo poo up. For example WM-level tabs.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

mycophobia posted:

i like minimal wms but tiling wms make no sense to me

dwm isn't tiling though, it's stacking.

It's a good wm for laptops. Robust tiling behavior is good for a single screen, and being keyboard driven is nice because who wants to use a mouse on the go?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
dwm is definitely tiling...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

dwm is customized through editing its source code, which makes it extremely fast and secure - it does not process any input data which isn't known at compile time, except window titles and status text read from the root window's name. You don't have to learn Lua/sh/ruby or some weird configuration file format (like X resource files), beside C, to customize it for your needs: you only have to learn C (at least in order to edit the header file).

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm sure DWM is very easy to customize once you find your eyeballs which for some reason fell out of their sockets from rolling so hard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

let me guess, the code is self-documenting?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

carry on then posted:

let me guess, the code is self-documenting?

I think it's like 300 lines? I used it for years and I don't even know C.

Edit: https://git.suckless.org/dwm/file/config.def.h.html

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

xtal posted:

I think it's like 300 lines? I used it for years and I don't even know C.

Edit: https://git.suckless.org/dwm/file/config.def.h.html

a totally sane way to manage your windows.

e: lol it's a xtal post, no wonder

mystes
May 31, 2006

What I find crazy is less having to make the changes in c (not great but whatever) to do the customization and more the fact that this means you have to recompile your window manager each time you want to change the settings.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

mystes posted:

What I find crazy is less having to make the changes in c (not great but whatever) to do the customization and more the fact that this means you have to recompile your window manager each time you want to change the settings.

The Ghost Of Terry Davis Has Logged On

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

pointsofdata posted:

a totally sane way to manage your windows.

e: lol it's a xtal post, no wonder

Is 115 lines of C too hard for poor baby? :cry:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i think dwm is kind of cool in its super strict minimalism. like all suckless tools i wouldnt use it but i respect it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

can never say "its not for me" online in 2021, especially in linux

you're either Right or Wrong, it's in the thread title

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I3 and Awesome both exist and are written in modern languages, why would you ever use dwm?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

xtal posted:

Is 115 lines of C too hard for poor baby? :cry:

i don't really understand why i would want to use a piece of software that has literally zero affordances for me, the user

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

is 2021 the year of icons on the linux desktop?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

2021 is the year of hbag posting through their linux problems.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

isnt awesome written in c. i know you configure it in lua but that's not what you wrote

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

isnt awesome written in c. i know you configure it in lua but that's not what you wrote

awesome is a fork of dwm with the original goal of adding lua configuration

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hifi posted:

Yeah i'm a dummy, I mean configuration in a modern language.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Stumpwm exists :smuggo:

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i think the real reason to dunk on dwm is poo poo like this quote from suckless:

quote:

Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it's pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions. There are some distributions that provide binary packages though.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
To keep their community small and elitist they should just charge :10bux: to register

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
lol i just remembered this too:

https://twitter.com/kuschku/status/1156488420413362177

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the suckless people are absoluely insane and drove me away from fiddling with 9front because despite 9front propaganda (which is what they actually call their marketing materials) generally seeming vaguely politically left the venn diagram of 9front and suckless is basically a circle

basically, lenny p was right for once

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

extremely fast and secure - it does not process any input data which isn't known at compile time, except [this input data that isn’t known at compile time]

because as we all know the best way to write secure code is to ask a c programmer to solemnly swear that they have not made any mistakes in handling input

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Share Bear posted:

you're either Right or Wrong, it's in the thread title

you're never right

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Pop os added tiling windows with a gnome extension and it owns. I love pop os

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
dwm: sieg tile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

DWM is fine. Configuring it is easy. Xtal is.... right????

xtal posted:

dwm is definitely tiling...

It's not tiling any more than CWM is tiling