Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mistborn Era 3 antagonist is a nutritionist trying to cut salt from the diets of the population so they don’t get overthrown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Food additives become big business.

Allomancers are lucky the amount needed is so low so they don't get various types of metal poisoning.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They burn it off before it sits in their stomach for too long.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fezz posted:

Food additives become big business.

Allomancers are lucky the amount needed is so low so they don't get various types of metal poisoning.

It does get rough for the ununhexium born though

Only ten microseconds to use their powers and lots of alpha particle exposure :(

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It does get rough for the ununhexium born though

Only ten microseconds to use their powers and lots of alpha particle exposure :(

Fortunately their power is immunity to alpha particles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm just waiting for silver to make some splashes, we know it can affect invested entities (shades on Threnody), so it seems a bit odd that it has apparently no powers in the Metallic Arts.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’m the guy that prefers Mistborn Era 2. Yes, the first trilogy is better fantasy, and way more epic in scope, but “Western with guns AND magic” scratched an itch I never knew I had.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C83pCJWbxUQ New update. Have any of y'all read The Dark One? Is it any good?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Way of Kings. Not sure what to think about it. I feel like the first half of the book I was completely lost as they were world-building with the characters. It didn't particularly hook me until probably after the halfway point where I actually had some vague idea of what was happening. I enjoyed the Shallan and Kaladin chapters the most and felt Dalinar was pretty boring. It wasn't until the last 5-10 chapters or so for me to think "oh hell yeah, this is getting good!" Sadeas' shenannigans on the final plateau assault was pretty predictable and easy to see coming, but I still enjoyed the betrayal on a massive scale and finally felt like the overall story was moving.

It was a good book and I'm going right into the second, but man did that ball take a while to get rolling. It took me over a year to finish the book since I now WFH and don't have my morning commute to listen to audiobooks anymore, so I feel like I just completed some epic journey.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It didn't particularly hook me until probably after the halfway point where I actually had some vague idea of what was happening.

If it helps, none of the characters really know what’s happening either. That’s half the fun of it, IMO.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just finished Way of Kings. Not sure what to think about it. I feel like the first half of the book I was completely lost as they were world-building with the characters. It didn't particularly hook me until probably after the halfway point where I actually had some vague idea of what was happening. I enjoyed the Shallan and Kaladin chapters the most and felt Dalinar was pretty boring. It wasn't until the last 5-10 chapters or so for me to think "oh hell yeah, this is getting good!" Sadeas' shenannigans on the final plateau assault was pretty predictable and easy to see coming, but I still enjoyed the betrayal on a massive scale and finally felt like the overall story was moving.

It was a good book and I'm going right into the second, but man did that ball take a while to get rolling. It took me over a year to finish the book since I now WFH and don't have my morning commute to listen to audiobooks anymore, so I feel like I just completed some epic journey.

Dalinar becomes significantly more interesting when his backstory is filled in and he starts doing stuff that moves the plot along. I think in book 1 he was just this stodgy guy who was trying to force everyone into military discipline etc. Most people seem to dislike Shallan the most so you've got that going for you.

(God Venli sucks)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

mewse posted:

Dalinar becomes significantly more interesting when his backstory is filled in and he starts doing stuff that moves the plot along. I think in book 1 he was just this stodgy guy who was trying to force everyone into military discipline etc. Most people seem to dislike Shallan the most so you've got that going for you.

(God Venli sucks)

Every character is good and perfect.

Book 2 might be my favorite because of the pro wrestling scene though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RC Cola posted:

It even has someone running around chasing some ridiculous distraction like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

It’s so dumb and I love it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RC Cola posted:

Every character is good and perfect.

If Stormlight ever gets an (animated) TV series adaptation I hope that scene just goes all in.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
So how do we want things to shake out?

Stormlight is animation
Mistborn is live action
Elantris is muppets
Warbreaker is stop motion

IMO

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This is so obviously Sarenes dad.

Edit:

"You should know by now that nothing I do is just for show."

External Organs fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 18, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

External Organs posted:

"You should know by now that nothing I do is just for show."

More of a Sam Eagle IMO

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

External Organs posted:

Stormlight is animation
Mistborn is live action
Elantris is muppets

IMO

I know Brandon has talked about needing other fantasy shows to succeed post-GoT as proof of concept and man, Shadow and Bone is if nothing else proof you can TOTALLY do Mistborn right now.

The aesthetic isn't exactly the same but it's got the dank early 1800s urban environments down and kept making me think of how it could be mistborn.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

External Organs posted:

Stormlight is animation
Mistborn is live action
Elantris is muppets

IMO

I'll be the grim whiner who says that adaptions will never be nearly as good as the books and could easily ruin the magic

But if it's going to happen a good budget live action is obviously the only correct way

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Taffer posted:

But if it's going to happen a good budget live action is obviously the only correct way

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

I know Brandon has talked about needing other fantasy shows to succeed post-GoT as proof of concept and man, Shadow and Bone is if nothing else proof you can TOTALLY do Mistborn right now.

The aesthetic isn't exactly the same but it's got the dank early 1800s urban environments down and kept making me think of how it could be mistborn.

The best part about Mistborn is there are huge changes between the series, so you have all the excuse you need to change stuff between the original trilogy and Wax and Wayne.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I am 32 years old. I've always had a problem being tired. I have no trouble going to sleep, but no matter what, I always just feel destroyed. I tried telling people this growing up, but the response from adults and my parents was "You're not tired, you're young." Anybody else's was response was "well, everyone feels tired." I listened to a podcast last year where a guy talked about always being tired because of sleep apnea, and his descriptions of waking up at least a dozen times a night. I went to a Doctor with my shiny new health insurance and she was like "yeah, that's messed up and you're probably going to have some health problems down the line, idiot," and ordered a CPAP machine for me. Now, in addition to getting an actual full night's sleep for the first time in my life, I actually dream (If I ever did dream before, it was like quick little flashes before I'd inevitably wake up).

Last night I had one of the few lucid dreams of my life, and because I just read all of Stormlight over the last few months, my dream took place with where I was sort of an observer of events of Way of Kings. I was in one of the bridge crews observing Kaladin's arc but... It wasn't Kaladin. He was replaced by Majima Goro from the Yakuza games. Specifically, it was Majima from Yakuza 0 where he starts out super-serious, and by the end of events, he's the trash-talking, fun-loving weirdo from the later games and he could fly around with Radiant powers.

I don't know why I felt I should share that, but I'm just going to hot potato it into the thread.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Congrats on the CPAP, glad you didn't get the runaround by doctors like I did!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Pennsylvanian posted:

I am 32 years old. I've always had a problem being tired. I have no trouble going to sleep, but no matter what, I always just feel destroyed. I tried telling people this growing up, but the response from adults and my parents was "You're not tired, you're young." Anybody else's was response was "well, everyone feels tired." I listened to a podcast last year where a guy talked about always being tired because of sleep apnea, and his descriptions of waking up at least a dozen times a night. I went to a Doctor with my shiny new health insurance and she was like "yeah, that's messed up and you're probably going to have some health problems down the line, idiot," and ordered a CPAP machine for me. Now, in addition to getting an actual full night's sleep for the first time in my life, I actually dream (If I ever did dream before, it was like quick little flashes before I'd inevitably wake up).

Last night I had one of the few lucid dreams of my life, and because I just read all of Stormlight over the last few months, my dream took place with where I was sort of an observer of events of Way of Kings. I was in one of the bridge crews observing Kaladin's arc but... It wasn't Kaladin. He was replaced by Majima Goro from the Yakuza games. Specifically, it was Majima from Yakuza 0 where he starts out super-serious, and by the end of events, he's the trash-talking, fun-loving weirdo from the later games and he could fly around with Radiant powers.

I don't know why I felt I should share that, but I'm just going to hot potato it into the thread.

I appreciated your post. Thanks for sharing that sounds like a sick rear end dream

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
At the end of my Stormlight reading, I can see why people recommended Sanderson as a world-builder to me. While there have been times where I just wanted him to get back to a good plot point, I was never as exasperated with his world-building as I was for something like Fellowship of the Ring or the dryer parts of Ice and Fire. I think that he has a writing style where even if he is getting self-indulgent, he (and his editor I'm guessing) understand how to deliver a fantasy world in a way that's engaging in the moment for a reader. I've read some respected fantasy novels lately, and I keep backing away from them every time I have to read a long-rear end, run-on sentence that lists all of the lakes, mountains, geographical features, cities, etc. that the author needed to create in order to make their maps look more filled-in. Brandon's prose feels like that of a good teacher's- it lets whoever is listening to him give a chance to gradually compartmentalize what he wants to tell you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I have a similar thing, don't get visual dreams often (probably in part due to apnea) and the first time I recall having one was a bizarrely vivid experience. I can understand why some people attribute them to the divine if they're getting things like that,

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

On this week's Weekly Update, Sanderson announced 2 updates coming Wednesday and Thursday.

"One of them, you're expecting. It will not surprise you that much. One is gonna be completely out of nowhere"

:thunk:

I'm guessing a Skyward 3 release date? Assuming he hasn't announced one already :v: But yea no idea what could be the 'outta nowhere' update. Something to do with TV/Movie for a project maybe? Or another board game? :shrug:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

He's leaving the writing world to become a garlic farmer and will now only be known as The Supplier of Flavours

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
He wrote a surprise novella or maybe his Mistborn TV treatment got the green light and is getting a pilot in the fall?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Naw, he’s metagaming it. The out of nowhere surprise will be that he didn’t write a surprise novella or anything else

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I can't help but wonder if it's a play on the fact that Skyward 3 was INITIALLY going to be called "Nowhere". Maybe he accidentally wrote a spin off based on scenes that got cut from "Nowhere" (which will now be called something else and that will be the announcement that we're expecting).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

rafikki posted:

Naw, he’s metagaming it. The out of nowhere surprise will be that he didn’t write a surprise novella or anything else

Honestly, my first thought was "surprise novella", so it not being an unplanned novella would indeed be a surprise.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Well, I just checked and there are now progress bars for TWO Skyward novellas: Sunreach (which has first draft at 100%) and ReDawn (draft 1.0 at 35%), but no new announcement in sight yet.

I can't figure out if I was just slow in seeing those and they've been up there for a while because he had previously mentioned doing Skyward novellas in collaboration with someone else so these popping up aren't exactly a surprise, but I was expecting just the ONE novella, not TWO.

Is the surprise that it's not just ONE surprise novella, it's TWO? Like maybe everyone just expects him to pull out an extra book every now and then, so this time he's like joke's on you, have TWO extra books!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
They’ve been up for a week or so already. Neither are the new announcement yet.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Skyward 3 is up for preorder and is titled "Cytonic".

https://www.getunderlined.com/books/539345/cytonic-by-brandon-sanderson/

Weird title. I love this series though and am excited. Wonder when we will see the most likely superior UK cover.

Edit: oh here it is. Dope!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

External Organs posted:

Skyward 3 is up for preorder and is titled "Cytonic".

https://www.getunderlined.com/books/539345/cytonic-by-brandon-sanderson/

Weird title. I love this series though and am excited. Wonder when we will see the most likely superior UK cover.

Edit: oh here it is. Dope!

I just finished a re-read of the 2nd book. I absolutely love this series. Waiting until November is going to be rough

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Uhhhhhhhhh Kelsier in Fortnite seems to be the other announcement.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1397975897744027651

What?

Though I guess he has a good relationship with Epic after Infinity Blade.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm glad some of his stuff is really getting into the mainstream, but man, Fortnite. Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Adnor posted:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1397975897744027651

What?

Though I guess he has a good relationship with Epic after Infinity Blade.

How bizarre. Don't mind it, but I don't care about Fortnite, either.

But when you read the replies, seems like nobody understands who's referred to with the quote.