Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh wow, I thought Grodin died in the late 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I like Sorkin.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really like Sorkin, too - hell, I watched his flick about Steve Jobs twice and enjoyed the hell out of it, plus lots of other stuff he did.

OK, I'll try to push through the aggravation. I do get the sense I'd like it, it's just so goddamn.... it just pisses me off and makes me feel like a petulant teenager, heh. Which I suppose also speaks to the fact that it's striking some kind of nerve.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Yeah I like Sorkin.

https://mobile.twitter.com/meganamram/status/1087143660389466112?lang=en

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Yeah I like Sorkin.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kaworu posted:

it's just so goddamn.... it just pisses me off

Yeah, this is a feature not a bug.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didn't watch it but he apparently did the trial of the Chicago seven dirty

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

kaworu posted:

Watching the first 10 minutes of that film just takes me back to that time period back in 2004 when I tried to sign up for Facebook because it was the cool awesome new thing all my friends were doing, and couldn't because I didn't have a .edu e-mail address, loving elitist pricks. I still hold a grudge against the goddamn site for that.

To be fair, face books were a thing before thefacebook.net and it was basically a directory of kids on your campus, so I think the original idea was a sort of centralized face book for different colleges.

Even though it's a good movie and a condemnation of the assholes that founded facebook you might just struggle with it because it reminds you of that lovely time in your life, and even if it's ostensibly on your side that might just be something you'll struggle to enjoy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Klowner posted:

milquetoast both siders moderate liberal who wrote this loving thing hosed up The Trial of the Chicago Seven? You don't say.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Baron von Eevl posted:

To be fair, face books were a thing before thefacebook.net and it was basically a directory of kids on your campus, so I think the original idea was a sort of centralized face book for different colleges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wI-p_TlTBs

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
Thanks a lot everyone, it really means a lot to me. :unsmith: I could think of no better place to honour this aspect of his life.

Though it was only a small period in his long and busy life, I always made sure he knew how cool I thought his brief orbit in movie-making was to me. (Unfortunately, all the original scripts were given to neighbours and friends decades ago.)
He wouldn’t bring it up often, but once you got him going he would light right up and mention how proud he was of Bill Murray and Ivan Reitman and how glad he contributed to their “big break” with Meatballs; he spoke as though they were honourary members of the family and was always rooting for their next projects.

Despite all this, he was not a massive film buff. He loved each of the James Bond films (Dr. No was one of the first old “boring” movies I had the patience to sit through), he particularly enjoyed Witness starring Harrison Ford, and he liked anything with Jodie Foster.

We lived in the same city all my life, and when I was a tot he'd scrounge the local garage sales so his basement bins were stocked with second-hand Transformers, He-Mans and Ninja Turtles. One of my earliest memories is sitting on that brown shag carpet and watching G.I. Joe: The Movie and The Transformers: The Movie on VHS (the latter definitely set a course in my life).

He loved his family, his church, cheering on the Calgary Stampeders, collecting coins and stamps and license plates, and telling everyone - friends, family, total strangers passing by - EVERYONE the joke-of-the-day. ("What did one candlestick say to the other? Let's go out tonight!")

Since this forum is about movies and filmmaking, I guess my one word of advice is that if you still have older loved ones in your life, take the time to record an interview with them. Ask them about their hobbies and passions, about their life and fondest memories, old friends only they would know, or whatever they’ve always wanted to share but never had the pretext for. I grabbed a handful of these with my grandpa, but I wish with all my heart that I had more.

Bless you all.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VSCdXFewI

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Klowner posted:

you should do it and post the outcome in this thread

Will do.

Though their deadline isn't until late fall so it will be a while

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

kaworu posted:

I tried to watch The Social Network for maybe the hallf-dozenth time since it went on Netflix. I never make it through the first 10 minutes. Once again, I tried to today and just had to turn the loving thing off at about the 9-minute-mark because it's just too loving aggravating to watch. I think it's because I was more or less the same age as those guys, lived in the same region, and would have gone to an Ivy League school at about the same time if I hadn't had a mental breakdown and dropped out of my expensive prep school (and much of civilized society) in my senior year in 2002.

Watching the first 10 minutes of that film just takes me back to that time period back in 2004 when I tried to sign up for Facebook because it was the cool awesome new thing all my friends were doing, and couldn't because I didn't have a .edu e-mail address, loving elitist pricks. I still hold a grudge against the goddamn site for that.

So yeah, I just cannot sit through that loving movie. Makes me feel like a rejected teenager every single time I try,

That's kind of by design because everyone in the movie is awful and you're not supposed to like any of them. That's also what happen to me when I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The movie is just generally lovely but it also brought back all these memories and feelings of high school and man, oh, man did I hate high school. And this one is such a pedantic nerd thing but there's a scene where they're talking about Nick Drake and the Shaggs but they don't know who David Bowie is. gently caress off with that poo poo. Nick Drake and the Shaggs would have been pretty esoteric poo poo pre-internet but somehow they can't identify a big hit song from a major recording artist who is a household name. Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

Skwirl posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

We can't talk about Aaron Sorkin and not post this. I still can't believe this was meant to be taken seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypsQO3dFiB8

Zechariah posted:

Thanks a lot everyone, it really means a lot to me. :unsmith: I could think of no better place to honour this aspect of his life.

Though it was only a small period in his long and busy life, I always made sure he knew how cool I thought his brief orbit in movie-making was to me. (Unfortunately, all the original scripts were given to neighbours and friends decades ago.)

Small period or not that's way cooler than anything most people will ever do and he sounds like he was an awesome person in general. You have my condolences.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 19, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why do people get so defensive about their hometown?

Like the main appeal of my hometown is that its smelly, decayed and full of organised crime. It's a shithole but it's my shithole (even though it's half a decade since I lived there). People who get mega defensive about anyone insulting their shithole need to embrace the shittiness of their randomly assigned hole.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like the main appeal of my hometown is that its smelly, decayed and full of organised crime. It's a shithole but it's my shithole (even though it's half a decade since I lived there). People who get mega defensive about anyone insulting their shithole need to embrace the shittiness of their randomly assigned hole.

Some people are just boring assholes. I'll be the first person to tell you that my hometown is shithole.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

CPL593H posted:

That's kind of by design because everyone in the movie is awful and you're not supposed to like any of them. That's also what happen to me when I watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The movie is just generally lovely but it also brought back all these memories and feelings of high school and man, oh, man did I hate high school. And this one is such a pedantic nerd thing but there's a scene where they're talking about Nick Drake and the Shaggs but they don't know who David Bowie is. gently caress off with that poo poo. Nick Drake and the Shaggs would have been pretty esoteric poo poo pre-internet but somehow they can't identify a big hit song from a major recording artist who is a household name. Get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

I actually had like, a very similar reaction to Perks of Being a Wallflower. Definitely another film that I could not get myself to sit through, because it felt like this ultra-perfect idealized version of a high-school life that I'd loved to have had, but didn't. Because nobody did.

And yeah, everyone recognizes 'Heroes' when they hear it, even if they don't know who David Bowie is! Absurd, even without contradictory references to obscure outsider music. I guess we should be happy that the stereotypical gay best friend didn't wear a tight-fitting 'hi how are you' Daniel Johnston shirt in some scene?

Zechariah
Mar 20, 2020

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night

CPL593H posted:

Small period or not that's way cooler than anything most people will ever do and he sounds like he was an awesome person in general. You have my condolences.

:glomp:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Part of it is a "nobody picks on my brother but me" kinda thing. Also, often outsiders complain about the absolute wrong things. Like Seattle has a poo poo ton wrong with it, I could do an hour probably listing it's problems, only stopping for air, but when other people complain one of the first things I hear are stuff about the homeless or crime or being unsafe and it makes me want to beat them with a shovel.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Klowner posted:

Making the committed pacifist punch a person, turning the list of people killed in Vietnam into a list of just the Americans killed in Vietnam, and turning Bobby Seale's outbursts from principled outrage against the sham of a trial into being overly emotional because his friend died. Sorkin really revealed specific ways in which he is a lovely person with that script.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also just in general making far-left radicals into vague liberals is a bit suspect

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

Part of it is a "nobody picks on my brother but me" kinda thing. Also, often outsiders complain about the absolute wrong things. Like Seattle has a poo poo ton wrong with it, I could do an hour probably listing it's problems, only stopping for air, but when other people complain one of the first things I hear are stuff about the homeless or crime or being unsafe and it makes me want to beat them with a shovel.

Yeah, out here in Philly that's very much the vibe. Like when the Flyers introduced Gritty the immediate local response was "jesus christ what the gently caress is that horrible thing" until people in other cities started to make fun of our horrible monster at which point we all collectively shifted gears to "you leave Gritty alone, he is cool and perfect and he is my friend!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, out here in Philly that's very much the vibe. Like when the Flyers introduced Gritty the immediate local response was "jesus christ what the gently caress is that horrible thing" until people in other cities started to make fun of our horrible monster at which point we all collectively shifted gears to "you leave Gritty alone, he is cool and perfect and he is my friend!"

I knew Gritty was awesome from this moment

https://twitter.com/GrittyNHL/status/1044258341017587713?s=20

Which was also the first time I heard of Gritty.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

What a brilliant show that doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserves.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gritty owns

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
How can I have pride in my home when our state’s next senator is almost definitely going to be the guy from my home city who got famous for "defending" his mansion with an assault rifle during the George Floyd protests.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I edited a trailer for a video game I made over the weekend for the Toronto game Jam. Editing counts as film-making, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHNp2yADg0

I tried to go for a 90s video game ad vibe by mixing in live action footage.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If you think Aaron Sorkin is a good writer, listen to a couple episodes of The West Wing Thing to learn why that's not true.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

How can I have pride in my home when our state’s next senator is almost definitely going to be the guy from my home city who got famous for "defending" his mansion with an assault rifle during the George Floyd protests.

We live in the dumbest loving country.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorkin is good at writing entertaining scripts that fall apart if you look at them for more than a second. Social Network may actually be the main outlier in that regard, although maybe that’s because Fincher jettisoned the worst stuff idk

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorkin is good at writing entertaining scripts that fall apart if you look at them for more than a second. Social Network may actually be the main outlier in that regard, although maybe that’s because Fincher jettisoned the worst stuff idk

Some highlights from a thread about The West Wing

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1314296218151944192?s=20

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1314333556840247299?s=20

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1314377440383336455?s=20

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1315120287537651712?s=20

There's so much rampant misogyny in West Wing, pretty much every male guest star we are supposed to think of as smart and capable makes a point of talking down to the women on the show. When Bartlett is running for re-election a "genius" campaign consultant makes a point of not knowing the name of CJ Craig, whose been the president's press secretary for four loving years. And we're supposed to find this endearing in a curmudgeonly way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Like...so? What a shocker someone who is hate watching something is going to find things they deem questionable and maybe not even watch the show in any kind of good faith.

The breathless 'that thing you like is bad, actually' school of criticism needs a bullet to the head.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Like...so? What a shocker someone who is hate watching something is going to find things they deem questionable and maybe not even watch the show in any kind of good faith.

The breathless 'that thing you like is bad, actually' school of criticism needs a bullet to the head.

It's a consistent pattern of misogyny and terminal bothsidesism that largely explains the complete ineffectuality of the modern democratic party.

If you really want to get into why he's terrible, watch his one good show (Sports Night) and then watch his other shows and realize how much he just plagiarized his own scripts.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

It's a consistent pattern of misogyny and terminal bothsidesism that largely explains the complete ineffectuality of the modern democratic party.

If you really want to get into why he's terrible, watch his one good show (Sports Night) and then watch his other shows and realize how much he just plagiarized his own scripts.

A TV show solely written by one cocaine fuelled guy over 20 years ago doesn't exactly reflect my 2021 sensibilities in the way I would like? I just don't have enough pearls to clutch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

A TV show solely written by one cocaine fuelled guy over 20 years ago doesn't exactly reflect my 2021 sensibilities in the way I would like? I just don't have enough pearls to clutch.

The issue is more the influence that show had on modern Democrats

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

The issue is more the influence that show had on modern Democrats

The show was influenced by modern Democrats. Democrats consulted on it. A show about liberalism is going to appeal to liberals.

Saying that it's responsible, or highly influential on the modern Democratic party when this is who the Democratic party has always been is really making this school of criticism sound like a leftist Satanic Panic.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

DrVenkman posted:

The show was influenced by modern Democrats. Democrats consulted on it. A show about liberalism is going to appeal to liberals.

Saying that it's responsible, or highly influential on the modern Democratic party when this is who the Democratic party has always been is really making this school of criticism sound like a leftist Satanic Panic.

I don't like The West Wind and it's easy to see the way the political stuff in it reflects current day problems in the democratic party but I agree that it's not responsible for it. It's a show influenced by stuff that was already and has remained a problem.

I think a lot of the Chapo/leftist podcast methods of media criticism revolves around watching something they don't like and then basing all criticism around the kind of guy they imagine would like it. This leads to a lot of stuff that is borderline incoherent as criticism as it only allows so much engagement with the material itself before your talking about why This Is Us is a key component of the opioid crisis.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the main reason that The Social Network works where Sorkin's other stuff doesn't is that everyone in The Social Network is supposed to be an annoying, tedious rear end in a top hat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's also devoid of politics, which helps avoid the worst traits of his speechifying. And no one really mentions STEVE JOBS which I've come to like quite a bit since it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

We live in the dumbest loving country.

His big competition in the primary is Eric Greitens, a Navy SEAL and out former governor, who was forced to step down after people found out he did sex crimes. Democrats think they can beat him, so I can’t wait until they pump a bunch of money into his campaign only to watch him get bulldozed by the guy who was a hair’s breadth away from accidentally shooting his wife.