Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009
Also lol at watching all of The Wire and seeing McNulty and Bunk and think it’s saying “policing is a good thing and shouldn’t be changed”!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Seriously, how are you all not aware of how enamored David Simon is with the police?

You know that scene where McNulty and Bunk solve a cold case while only saying “gently caress?” That’s him reveling in how awesome the police are! They just keep saying “gently caress!”

Well, you’re certainly doing a pretty poor job of convincing us with examples like that, my dude!

Alternatively: pretty good troll, my dude!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Wow I guess I’m no longer woke enough for TVIV threads.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This poo poo sucks so I'm gonna say this: I've watched a shitload of Guys Grocery Games over the last few weeks. Actually getting value out of Discovery+!!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No nate we always need you.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Aardvark! posted:

This poo poo sucks so I'm gonna say this: I've watched a shitload of Guys Grocery Games over the last few weeks. Actually getting value out of Discovery+!!!

I have been rewatching No Reservations which alone is worth the money. Also I will not lie sneaking in some triple Ds too since it has been years since I’ve seen an episode.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Only thing I've watched on Discovery+ is Renovation Realities which someone on here recommended.

I had to stop after a few episodes because I'm pretty sure every couple shown on there ended up divorced shortly after.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Slamhound posted:

Seriously, how are you all not aware of how enamored David Simon is with the police?

You know that scene where McNulty and Bunk solve a cold case while only saying “gently caress?” That’s him reveling in how awesome the police are! They just keep saying “gently caress!”

You mean the murder they never solve?

Yeah, great police work there.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The fact that they have to interlace Chopped with House Hunters on their 24/7 channel is so stupid. I wonder how specific the contract they have with Hulu and whoever is. I imagine it's something about "can air the show on mixed purpose live media" or whatever, or wouldn't another food show be way better? If I wanna watch chopped id rather get iron chef or something, not house hunters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aardvark! posted:

I bought my mom a year of Discovery+ as a gift and she said sometimes she thinks it's one of the best gifts I've ever given her. Which honestly is both cool and a bit of a slap in the face as it's easily the lowest effort gift I've ever given.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Okay, so the lesson of The Wire and David Simon is that the police are worse than worthless and should be abolished. Whether it be The System or individual cops like Bunk and McNulty, the police are unreformable.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Slamhound posted:

Okay, so the lesson of The Wire and David Simon is that the police are worse than worthless and should be abolished. Whether it be The System or individual cops like Bunk and McNulty, the police are unreformable.

Maybe you should watch it and draw your own conclusion instead of asking the thread to choose it's own adventure.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Maybe you should watch it and draw your own conclusion instead of asking the thread to choose it's own adventure.

I have watched it.

It sucks.

Edit: it’s not so much that it sucks as it is that it’s not nearly as good as people say it is.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 18, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa rip Charles Grodin
https://twitter.com/kentucker/status/1394715492745678849

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Wire is a good show, and you should watch it if you haven't.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bummer. I had largely forgotten about the guy until Patriot came along and had a song about him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VSCdXFewI

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Thanks to this thread and the one in general I've started watching Guy's Grocery Games

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

X-O posted:

I bought my mom a year of Discovery+ as a gift and she said sometimes she thinks it's one of the best gifts I've ever given her. Which honestly is both cool and a bit of a slap in the face as it's easily the lowest effort gift I've ever given.

discovery+ is proof that nobody knows what the demand is for streaming, because I saw a lot of people on here say "who wants this?" and it turns out that they all wanted it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

discovery+ is proof that nobody knows what the demand is for streaming, because I saw a lot of people on here say "who wants this?" and it turns out that they all wanted it.

Well, we don't know what the demand is because we're a bunch of insular internet weirdos who wanna know when's the GODDAMN MOREL OREL BLU RAYS ARE COMING OUT

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

drat Midnight Run is a classic movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My worst movie theater experience was at Beethoven, my mom let me and my bro sit by ourselves and all of a sudden in the middle of the movie this lady in front of me starts throwing poo poo at me - it's gum and hair - and accusing me of throwing gum in her hair and she was going to tell the manager and I was gonna get in huge trouble. I did not but I was freaked out for the rest of the movie! (Also it was the snickering teens behind me that done it)

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I feel bad, but I always hated Charles Grodin.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021
My favorite Charles Grodin was him writing fanfiction about having an affair with Miss Piggy on the set of The Great Muppet Caper

https://www.vulture.com/2011/11/charles-grodin-affair-with-miss-piggy-muppets.html

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Why do people keep linking articles that require a membership to even read :mad:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just open news links in private windows. That's how all sites are going to be in the future. The exception is Fox News and info wars and Ben Shaprio. Their stuff will always be free.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/AlexYoung/status/1394730224076607489?s=19

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

Slamhound posted:

I feel bad, but I always hated Charles Grodin.

Worse than your Wire take

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assume I'm falling for the troll but where is Charles Grodin in that skit

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

Getting the chance to go back and rewatch Good Eats and Mythbusters is worth the price of Discovery+ alone. Not to mention a lot of those Food Network shows from the mid-00s/mid-10s timeframe that aired for like two or three seasons and never got reruns on TV.

Speaking of Guy's Grocery Games, I feel like no one has undergone as dramatic a public image rehabilitation in the last year or two as Guy Fieri.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?

This is an American remake of This Country, I hope Daisy May Cooper is getting some money out of it at least. Best case scenario it finds it's own voice after a season or two.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Here's something weird I didn't know before discovery+: they rebranded the travel channel to TRVL and it's purely for ghost hunting shows now :psyduck:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why else would you travel anywhere, if not to ghost-hunt?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

To escape ghosts?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Why else would you travel anywhere, if not to ghost-hunt?

They had that one show called Three Sheets where a guy went to different countries to get poo poo faced drunk, that was pretty fun.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ruddiger posted:

They had that one show called Three Sheets where a guy went to different countries to get poo poo faced drunk, that was pretty fun.

i'll second that. zane lamprey was a good-natured, goofy travelogue host.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aardvark! posted:

Here's something weird I didn't know before discovery+: they rebranded the travel channel to TRVL and it's purely for ghost hunting shows now :psyduck:

Honestly, the documentary genre is being done much more competently on Youtube and other platforms, so I'm not surprised the edutainment channels are now just bald faced putting out lowest common denominator content. Especially given how popular it is, whomst among us has not visited our folks for the holidays to see the Secret of American Pickers: Orange County on the tv

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives is what's on at my parents house if they don't have one of the house shows on.

I enjoyed mythbusters in the day, but I don't really have any desire to go rewatch them and there's plenty of background stuff I can put on instead. So, nothing on Discovery+ really holds much appeal to me.

I enjoy Smithsonian Channel much more nowadays (Air Disasters is an addiction of mine.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6YpXU-ro-4
Trailer for the Wonder Years remake set in the 60s about a black family in Montgomery Alabama. I don't know about Don Cheadle's narration, the little bit we get doesn't sound great.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Shouldn't this Wonder Years take place in 2001?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Edward Mass posted:

Shouldn't this Wonder Years take place in 2001?

I see what you did there, and I hate you for it.