Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

On the one hand, introducing Laurie as Michael's sister after the way Halloween was written and created was a dumb move that the sequel made, and one that would end up shaping all of the other (non-III) sequels down through the next decade or so.

On the other hand, if you build it in from the outset, as Rob Zombie did in his two remakes, it kinda ends up working? If you build the story around that relationship between the protagonist and antagonist, it can flow a lot better.

In other words, you can skip the normal Halloween 4-Resurrection sequels (don't skip III) and jump straight to the two Rob Zombie remake movies.

Or you could always skip all the way ahead to Halloween 2018 and check that out. They omit the "Laurie as sister" angle, and just have her and Michael remain fixated on each other, so it's still a little more organic than in the original sequel.

Just don't skip Season of the Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
:spooky: Fran Challenge 11. Myths & Legends

The Lure (2015)
Directed by Agnieszka Smoczyńska
Watched on Criterion Channel

The very short and very unfair elevator pitch for The Lure is that it’s The Little Mermaid, with a twist. Instead of a seaside kingdom. The Lure takes place in Warsaw during the magical realism 1980s.

Silver and Golden are two mermaid sisters who join a cabaret band and eventually become the star attraction at their club. Silver falls in love, despite her sister’s warnings, and you assume it will all end in tragedy.

There are a lot of different themes here. The core of the story is relatively faithful to the H.C. Andersen fairy tale. Just like in the fairy tale, one of the sisters has to weigh giving up what makes her special against being with the person she loves. Where the The Lure stands out is how it expands on the fairy tale. Silver and Golden are human enough to be the objects of desire for human men, but not so human that they can’t be exploited like animals with no rights of their own.

Aside from the story, The Lure is one of the best-looking movies I’ve seen this year. The colors and motion are fantastic. I also want to make sure I mention the sound. Not just the relentless pop songs but also all of the effects and especially the “whale song” that the sisters use to secretly communicate with each other.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

Time Travel Challenge: 31/31
1. Jigoku (1960), 2. The Curse of the Doll People (1961), 3. The Burning Court (1962), 4. X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963), 5. The Long Hair of Death (1964), 6. Planet of the Vampires (1965), 7. Daimajin (1966), 8. Viy (1967), 9. A Quiet Place in the Country (1968), 10. The Cremator (1969), 11. Equinox (1970), 12. Lake of Dracula (1971), 13. The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972), 14. The Crazies (1973), 15. Deathdream aka Dead of Night (1974), 16. Race with the Devil (1975), 17. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976), 18. The Incredible Melting Man (1977), 19. The Grapes of Death (1978), 20. Tourist Trap (1979), 21. The Changeling (1980), 22. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 23. Human Lanterns (1982), 24. Christine (1983), 25. Night of the Comet (1984), 26. Demons (1985), 27. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), 28. Wolf’s Hole (1987), 29. The Vanishing (1988), 30. Santa Sangre (1989), 31. Bride of Re-Animator (1990)

Bracketology: 9/?
1. Vampires vs. the Bronx, 2. The Roost, 3. Varan, 4. On the Silver Globe, 5. The Phantom of the Opera, 6. Mark of the Vampire, 7. Tigers Are Not Afraid, 8. Sightseers, 9. The House That Jack Built

Fran Challenges: 11/13
1. Un Chien Andalou / The Big Shave / Kitchen Sink / Foxes / Portal to Hell!!!, 2. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 3. The Burning, 4. Dead Ringers, 5. Belzebuth, 6. Fright Night, 7. The Brood, 8. Village of the Damned, 9. Cat People, 10. Birth of the Living Dead, 11. The Lure

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Franchescanado posted:

Danielle Harris is charming as the main character, and Pleasance goes full crazy with Loomis.

Wait... but he also exploded the gently caress up?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’d rewatch Halloween 6 before 4 or 5 any day :colbert:

like none of them are very good in my mind, but 6 is just so bonkers that I can’t help but kinda like it. 4 is ok but mostly a retread of 1/2 and 5 is just boring to me

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
One thing that's a bit confusing on the first watch of The Lure, which I think is a really interesting layer (especially with the band), is that the attraction the mermaid sisters imbue on the people around them is incredibly addicting, to the point that the characters have a whole song where they suffer withdrawal laced with guilt. It's one of the weirder songs, cuz it comes out of nowhere, but it's one of my favorite parts, because it's a newer characterization of the magical realism of a world where mermaids exists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes but you see he now has a scar on his face from the burns. Makes total sense.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

He got better.

gey muckle mowser posted:

like none of them are very good in my mind, but 6 is just so bonkers that I can’t help but kinda like it. 4 is ok but mostly a retread of 1/2 and 5 is just boring to me

I'd watch 1, 3 and 4 before most of the other sequels. I keep meaning to rewatch 2018, since I've seen it the one time in theaters, to see if I still like it a lot.

I really like Rob Zombie's Halloween 2, but I find myself more interested in revisiting Lords of Salem more than his other movies nowadays.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

When I first watched part 4 I literally started the movie over to make sure I didn't miss a detail about how Loomis survived being burned alive. Nope. Turns out he's just a trooper.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

When I first watched part 4 I literally started the movie over to make sure I didn't miss a detail about how Loomis survived being burned alive. Nope. Turns out he's just a trooper.

This is very very funny to me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also they say Samhain like it's written instead of the correct "Saw-whin".

SMH

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Part 6 has my favorite kill of the entire series (but it's only in the theatrical cut, so don't watch the producer's cut). A dude gets electrocuted until his head explodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Carpenter did everything in his power to make sure Halloween 2 was the last we saw of Michael and Loomis but the Evil was just too strong I guess.

I do wish I could go back to 1982 and hear some of these dumbasses complaining about no Michael Myers firsthand so I could tell them to go gently caress themselves.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

18. The Howling [1981] - Dir: Joe Dante

This movie kinda sucked. I dunno, it didnt move as well as I remembered it, I really didnt care for the werewolf transformations (because this as American Werewolf in London are often compared and I dont think these transformations have anything on AWiL. They're totally fine and fun, but the AWiL change is like this spectacle and painful and horrific. These transformations are just fine and do the job well enough) and I just kept wanting the story to move forward, but it often felt like we were just stuck watching all these unlikable characters go through the motions and eventually we get our third act which is probably the only thing that saves this movie overall. I am glad I didnt go ahead and buy this on blu-ray like I originally planned.

3 Skulls out of 5

19. Mandy [2018] - Dir: Panos Cosmatos

Still rocks. Didnt plan on rewatching it this month, but saw it was available on Shudder with a Joe Bob commentary interstitials so I gave it a whirl on a hungover sunday afternoon and it still hits just as well as it did the first time I saw it. Every frame is gorgeous and I just studied it as I always did for future reference in my own work. It's just such a depressing delight to behold and its just a very effecting movie and a lot of fun when it really starts gettin cooking.

5 Skulls out of 5

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Loomis lives on sheer force of will and spite to stop Michael

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
While the transformation in American Werewolf in London is all-time great, The Howling has the better actual werewolf. The werewolf from American Werewolf in London isn't particularly good.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Cross-postin from the Bracketology thread

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Les Garcons Sauvages

Les Garcons Sauvages begins with two gang-rape scenes. The first we see perpetrated against a young man with a single breast, then we witness the same young man at a previous time and place, taking part in the gang rape of his teacher. From this horrendous opening, the text of the film is made clear, that it is concerned with cyclical violence and the mutable quality of sex, gender, and sexuality.

Soon after this dramatic opening, we find our leading players in a courtroom, where each has their character stated quite plainly. There is a sweet boy, a violent boy, a bad liar, and so forth. From this place, they are put within the care of a ship captain, who abuses, torments, and manipulates them whilst journeying to a strange island reminiscent of The Island of Dr Moreau.

Once upon the island, the boys discover all manner of strange pleasures designed to inflame and awaken their latent sexual and gender identities, whilst also transforming them physically into women. Some, as Dr Severine stands as a prime example, resent the transformation, and experience dysphoria. Others consider it an awakening, while others still protest and refuse to change, leaving these subjects unsure about their place in the world.

When I streamed Les Garcons Sauvages, some felt worried discussing the material. They feared, as cishet males, they would be wandering into a dangerous ground if they were to discuss these topics, and I reassured them that yes, even cis boys experience and play with gender. I would even go so far as to say that this film was directed very plainly to be inclusive of a cis audience. The boys begin as the very definition of toxic masculinity, and then slowly have their worlds pulled apart as they’re forced to consider the realities of being gay, of being trans, non-binary and intersex. They experience an isolated island where these identities are free to emerge in pleasure and comfort, in the spirit of exploration, only to be then spat back into the toxic world of men, of cisheteronormativity, as exemplified by the faceless sailors of the finale.

I can understand some people being put off by the comparison to Dr Moreau, as what does it say about the director, Bertrand Mandico, ideas concerning gender-affirming treatments? I think a few things are quite clear. Firstly, the comparison between the two sources is mainly concerned with mutability and transformation, not a moral judgment on the product of mutability. Just as in the original Jules Vern text, the real monsters weren’t the transformed, but the “horror” of realising that we exist within a state of flux. In Dr Moreau, the spectator is unable to discern animal from human, and that triggers a series of realisations and fears about our nature, whereas here it is the fear and ecstasy of confronting our gender and sexual identities.

Bertrand Mandico posted:

What interested me about this project from the beginning, and which was part of the narrative’s initial concept, was to ask actresses to play boys. And also, to offer actresses parts they don’t generally get the opportunity to play. With that in place, I push viewers to lose their bearings. We have this very androgynous situation of actresses evoking boys and I think that after a while the viewer accepts this state of affairs, knowing, or more or less guessing, that these are actresses. Then these male characters turn into girls, revealing the actresses’ original femininity, while at the same time showing how, on a deeper level, these boys remain boys despite having the appearance of women. This creates an unsettling, possibly arousing sensation, a blurring of the perception and intellectualization of what we see [...] I have a hard time with a binary approach to sexuality, where you have to position yourself on a particular side. This limits the field of action, it divides. Personally, I prefer the idea of a different dynamic, of perpetual metamorphosis or the prospect of metamorphosis, of a more blurred identity. There’s something modern about that, something nearly futuristic. It opens new prospects of both narrative and sexual possibilities.”

It is the spirit of this play, this exploration of possibilities, this emergent androgyny that the film asks us to engage with, it offers few answers because more critical in these circumstances are the questions themselves. There is a sense then that, while this is a work that challenges and confronts us with a sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes erotic, sometimes disturbing vision, the artist’s real goal is to encourage disagreement, encourage debate, and encourage this state of metamorphosis and flux. As a bisexual polyamorous trans woman, Mandico’s decision to focus this lens and encourage these uncertain visions, resonates with me deeply. It is easy to answer a question and present it coldly, but it is instead within the calculation of that answer that we find truly ourselves. These are answers that do not come easily, they elude us constantly and take many decades to decipher and emerge, and encouraging that deep exploration is the highest goal of the artist, imho. When I watch Les Garcons Sauvages, I could lay out the plot coldly and pluck an explanation out of the air that might fit. What makes the film special to me though, is that this simplicity is openly discouraged, and personal interpretation reigns as Queen.

This point might be a good time to mention that Mandico co-authored the Incoherence Manifesto, a philosophical treatise on filmmaking that went on to inspire Knife+Heart, and may help people to decipher some of the filmmaking choices, both there and also here. I should also mention that Knife+Heart is included in this team.

Bertrand Mandico posted:

The International Incoherence is a concept that we have established with Katrin Olafsdottir. We have listed everything that makes our biases of staging against the current. Biases that may seem incoherent in the dominant industry of arthouse cinema. To be incoherent means to have faith in cinema, it means to have a romantic approach , unformatted, free, disturbed and dreamlike, cinegenic, an epic narration. Incoherence that's an absence of cynicism but not irony. It's embracing the genre without penetrating it. Incoherences are a whole group of young talented filmmakers like Marie Losier, Yann Gonzales, Caroline Poggi and Jonathan Vinel. It's a flamboyant surge not a dogma.

INTERNATIONAL / INCOHERENCE
manifesto

1. Rejection of any rule of screenplay. / Screenplay Incoherence
2. The sound will be created in post production. / Manufacturing Incoherence
3. Filming must be done on expired film stock. / Sophistication Incoherence
4. Special effects must be made in-camera (overprint, projections etc).
Banish post-production. / Effects Inchoherence
5. Use of optical effects in-camera (filters etc). / Style Incoherence
6. The film must be in an uncertain geography , timeless, ban any realistic effect. / Time and geography Incoherence
7. The material for the sets (scenery, costume and props) must come from found material. / Taste Incoherence
8. Films must be hybrids containing at least two genres. / Style Incoherence
9. The film used can be 16mm, 35mm, Super 8mm. / Economic Incoherence
10. The director must be the author, cameraman and art director of the film. / Creative Incoherence
11. Actors will alternate non acting and overacting. / Acting Incoherence
12. The film does not belong to any aesthetic or narrative tendency. It must have a deep and fragile cinematography / Cinematographic Incoherence

I suppose the first question might be, why limit yourselves in this way? What is to be gained from only using film, eschewing post-production, focusing on filters, double-exposures, projection, et cetera. And while I think all of those questions are admirable, and the world is a place that contains many different answers to those questions, it’s quite clear for me that these restrictions create a new form of artistic expression, and new possibilities, which take the techniques of a Georges Méliès and the many who followed in their footsteps, and allows them to be appreciated and seen anew, with fresh eyes, and the benefit of a modern filmmakers privileged vantage.

For instance, one of my favourite shots of the film, the court case, in which the prosecutor hovers behind the boys like a spectre, and through the power of projection, grows exponentially to tower over the accused in judgment. That shot, for me, is more potent than many of the digital green-box effects we see today, but more importantly, it’s accessible! With a small amount of knowledge and equipment, any one of us could recreate this shot, and in recreating it, build a language of our own. This, for me, is the genius behind the Incoherence Manifesto; it democratises film technique; it grants permission to dive deeply into the history of cinema. It provides an egalitarian playing field in which all is permitted, and the only limit is our own creativity. It is, imho, the very spirit of cinema.

I’ve waffled on pretentiously for long enough now, but I will also mention the obvious, and that is that all of the performances here are, without exception, iconic. From the combined coy innocence and swaggering menace of the boys themselves, to the duality of the henpecked though imperious ship Captain, all the way to the incredible Dr Severine played by one of my favourite actors, Elina Löwensohn. It's just such a wonderful film, and I hope people give it a chance.

City of the Living Dead

A lady puked up her intestines, and that was awesome.

My vote goes to Les Garcons Sauvages.

Official: 7/13
X-Files: 23/x
Fran Challenges: 1/13

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Basebf555 posted:

Yes but you see he now has a scar on his face from the burns. Makes total sense.

Franchescanado posted:

He got better.

I can't decide if "elderly man is trapped in a gas explosion that levels half a wing of a hospital, and is then a raging inferno for ages afterwards, survives with minor facial scarring" is amazingly stupid or just stupid.

E: honestly could be a Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace joke.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 18, 2021

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

While the transformation in American Werewolf in London is all-time great, The Howling has the better actual werewolf. The werewolf from American Werewolf in London isn't particularly good.

And thus begins the great "biped vs. quadruped" werewolf wars...

poo poo, why do I want to write a spec script called Werewolf Wars now?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Class3KillStorm posted:

Well, quadruped feels more closer to folklore, but biped's movie traditional.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I can't decide if "elderly man is trapped in a gas explosion that levels half a wing of a hospital, and is then a raging inferno for ages afterwards, survives with minor facial scarring" is amazingly stupid or just stupid.

E: honestly could be a Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace joke.

The Halloween series is notorious for killing off Michael in definitive ways, and then bringing him back with ridiculous twists and retcons.

The one that comes to mind, besides the inexplicable return in Part 4, is Part 5's beginning where he is nursed back to health by a well-meaning stranger. I think he even floats down a river??

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Nothing is worse than the way they did it in Halloween Resurrection.

H20: Laurie finally, dramatically, definitively kills Michael by cutting his head off. It's over. He's dead.
Resurrection: j/k that was a different guy lol

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Rick Baker kind of had his hand in both the werewolves from The Howling and An American Werewolf in London.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

The Halloween series is notorious for killing off Michael in definitive ways, and then bringing him back with ridiculous twists and retcons.

The one that comes to mind, besides the inexplicable return in Part 4, is Part 5's beginning where he is nursed back to health by a well-meaning stranger. I think he even floats down a river??

He falls into a mine shaft - I guess - that got exploded in Part 4, which dumps him out into a nearby river that doesn't appear to be connected by geography to the previous location. Then he gets nursed back to health by a random hobo living in a river shack nearby for a year, until Michael gets up the following Halloween, for no discernible reason other than his psychic connection to the holiday, and kills the poor guy. Which seems really ungrateful, when you think about it.

At least the pet parrot was fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Class3KillStorm posted:

He falls into a mine shaft - I guess - that got exploded in Part 4, which dumps him out into a nearby river that doesn't appear to be connected by geography to the previous location. Then he gets nursed back to health by a random hobo living in a river shack nearby for a year, until Michael gets up the following Halloween, for no discernible reason other than his psychic connection to the holiday, and kills the poor guy. Which seems really ungrateful, when you think about it.

At least the pet parrot was fine.

It's such a silly Rube Goldberg type story device to get him from Point A to Point B and it does absolutely nothing for the story. It's not good, but it's fun.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Hollismason posted:

Rick Baker kind of had his hand in both the werewolves from The Howling and An American Werewolf in London.

I thought Rob Bottin did the Howling effects.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

I thought Rob Bottin did the Howling effects.

Rick Baker left The Howling to do An American Werewolf in London.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

18. Urban Legend (1998)
Suffers from too slick 90s obnoxiousness but it's all forgiven with the goth girls goth chat room. Honey we are all on a similar dark path.

:ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
11. Serial Mom
Fran Challenge #7: Mother’s Day

How did I watch this? – Plex, but it’s streaming on Peacock

Kathleen Turner is the perfect “50’s sitcom”-style mom, except she also has a deep hunger for revenge, and she won’t stop until everyone who has slighted her pays with their life.

This is the first movie I’ve seen directed by John Waters, and by all accounts it’s barely dipping your toe into the river of filth. Come on in, the water’s fine! Serial Mom is a great campy satire of a film, with an excellent cast.

I’ll have to check out the rest of his work that isn’t Seed of Chucky!
4.5/5

12. Cheerleader Camp
Fran Challenge #3: Camp BLOOD

How did I watch this? – Plex.

Well, it’s a movie about camp all right. Allison has crazy dreams or hallucinations about killing the people around her. Never mind that, it’s probably no big deal! She and her squad head to cheerleader camp to..uh.. I think they said win an opportunity to perform at the state championship?

The movie is loosely plotted, almost like they came up with a series of unfunny skits and/or murders, filmed them, and then had to figure out how to fit them all together. The unfunny skits come out of a Porky’s style, horny 80’s comedy, without much of the comedy part. You get girls sunbathing and having some sort of a boob competition. You get the camp director accidentally showing everyone footage of her having sex. You get the very obviously lesbian Corey flirting hopelessly with main character Allison.

It’s ok for what it is. I found the villain reveal pretty disappointing, because it was maybe the one character in the movie I kind of liked, but I suppose I can be happy that they get away with it.
2/5

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
Oh lord I forgot there was going to be one of these in May.

Given the time table, I'm going to shoot for just hitting the Fran Challenges.

I feel like people had some lists for the horror shorts challenge last time around - does anyone have suggestions or a link?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've never understood brackets.

I think it's one of those wacky American things I'll never fully comprehend like customer service, baggers, and a military.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've never understood brackets.

I think it's one of those wacky American things I'll never fully comprehend like customer service, baggers, and a military.

It's basically just an excuse to have a movie club, but with a slightly competitive bent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This movie put me off it right off the bat. There's the spooky treehouse and the creepy doll houses and the little girl who looks like a haunted doll and is generally awkward and weird but also makes creepy things out of trash and makes weird sounds for no reason, and the moms family has all the mental illnesses to the max, and the movie takes place in one of those cheerless Protestant New England mansions, and the whole time this super overbearing spooky soundtrack is going "Spooky woooooommmmmm" on top of everything. I know that horror movies usually try to create a spooky atmosphere, but Hereditary tries to create the spooky atmosphere of Saturn. When it go to the telephone pole scene I basically wrote the movie off. gently caress off movie, I said.

But it does kinda dial back a bit and just lets the situation and the characters breathe and gives the actors lot of good stuff to do, and it kinda started winning me back. Then came the séance scene, which was fantastic, and the revelation that this whole movie is basically just a Paranormal Activity movie but with very fancy camera work instead of found footage and I was fully on board all the way through. Genuinely one of the biggest swings in opinion I've had while watching a movie.

The one thing that did bug me all the way to end though was the miniatures. If it had just been a hobby, fine. But it's established early on that this is the mom's job. Her miniatures are exhibited in galleries. And those miniatures had absolutely nothing noteworthy about them at all. I mean my god, the one that's a little roadside scene? Where its perfectly flat and the proportions are all off and it goes road->strip of gravel->undifferentiated mass of grass? Terrible. I genuinely wasn't sure if it was bad prop work or if it was supposed to be revealing something about the character, that she was a bad artist propped up by her family's obvious wealth. I guess it was just bad props.

If you can get through the overbearing first half hour and ignore the bad miniature work, Hereditary is an excellently acted fun shlocky spooky good time. I recommend it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:spooky: Fran Challenge #5 - Cinco :spooky:

El Vampiro
Fernando Méndez, 1957

Mexico's answer to Dracula is a largely successful endeavor. Shot in black and white and at the Academy aspect ratio, it looks older than it is and it reminds me more of the '30s Dracula films that inspired it than the Hammer series that would begin the following year. Germán Robles plays Count Dracu- er I mean Count Duval, and he's perfect in the role. I would absolutely watch a whole series of vampire movies with him as the lead.

Something I appreciated about this is the uniqueness of the plot. It's not just about people happening upon an old castle and gradually realizing they're in the company of the undead. It's got a bit more going on story-wise and it thoroughly held my interest. But what I loved most is the atmosphere. The movie's DRIPPING with it. Foggy crypts, cobwebbed lairs, things hidden in the shadows, an ancient castle where seemingly every room has a secret passageway. If I had to compare it visually to another film it'd be Mario Bava's Black Sunday. That's some high praise right there.

3.5/5

Films watched: 1. Witchfinder General (1968), 2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923), 3. The Devil Rides Out (1968), 4. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945), 5. Who Can Kill a Child? (1976), 6. The Raven (1935), 7. A Bucket of Blood (1959), 8. The Curse of the Werewolf (1961), 9. Hunter Hunter (2020), 10. Let’s Scare Jessica to Death (1971), 11. Prince of Darkness (1987), 12. What We Do in the Shadows (2014), 13. The Devil's Advocate, 14. Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966), 15. Madman (1981), 16. The House That Dripped Blood (1971), 17. The Evil Dead (1981), 18. Alligator (1980), 19. The Terror Within II (1991), 20. Homicidal (1961), 21. El Vampiro (1957)

9/13 Fran Challenges completed: 2. Sometimes They Come Back, 3. Camp BLOOD, 5. Cinco, 7. Mother's Day, 8. Dead & Buried, 9. Scream, Queen!, 10. Behind the Mask, 11. Myths & Legends, 12. Cavalcade of Creepiness

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

17) The Curse of the Crying Woman - Dailymotion - 1963

Holy poo poo, it's Bava without Bava. I loved the cinematography in this one, all that lovely 60s era gothic atmosphere with the twisted woods, cobwebs, fog, crumbling architecture, the most adorable chubby butt rats, and howling winds.

Storyline has nothing to do with the legend of La Llorona. Instead, we have a cursed lineage of witches working to resurrect their infamous ancestor.

The effects for the most part are pretty decent save the occasional visible wire. The version I sat through was dubbed, but that just makes me really want to pick up a subtitled version....preferably on Blu-ray.

This will fit in fine with Black Sunday as a double feature.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Franchescanado posted:

Well I mean that makes sense in a horror movie kind of way because he's the killer. He's the Shape. Evil never dies. But Dr. Loomis?!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Class3KillStorm posted:

I just want them to make a Michael Gallatin movie. For those not familiar with the books: he's James Bond in World War 2, except instead of having gadgets he's a werewolf.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

18: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
:siren: FC6. Playing With Power :siren:

I watched this because it was about the only videogame movie on any of my streaming services. I saw the first two movies way back when they first came out, only vaguely remember them, and haven't seen any of the others.
The story is even dumber than I expected. Basic idea is the Umbrella big wigs wiped out the whole human race so a few thousand of them could Noah's Arc through the apocalypse and have the world to themselves afterwards. They don't even freeze any labourers as far as we're told. Your genius plan is to go from living a rich person lifestyle to that of a peasant tilling the soil in a wasteland.
I'll give it credit for having a recap at the start so I was more or less up to speed on this convoluted mess full of subplots about clones with prescience abilities

It's an ugly movie. Everything inside is dark, everything outside is brown. The editing is annoying, with shakycam and rapid cuts that at times are like Edgar Wright's comedy cuts done seriously and for way too long.
The main character Alice is a blank slate. She's uninteresting and she can punch holes in monsters so I never felt she was in danger. The supporting characters are just nothing.

e: I just remembered there's a ticking clock scenario that makes no sense at all. There are only a handful of survivor settlements in the world and Alice has exactly - to the second - 48 hours to release the anti-zombie formula or they'll be wiped out. After she smashes it she says it will take years for the winds to carry it around the world.

Charmless trash from a hack.

Competed: 18
Four Flies on Grey Velevet; Gods and Monsters FC9; Alice, Sweet Alice, Witchfinder General; Street Trash; Cannibal Holocaust; C.H.U.D; Raw Force; In Search of Darkness 2; The Crazies (2010)FC2; Tigers are not Afraid FC5; Trilogy of Terror FC12; Smoke and Mirrors: The Story of Tom Savin FC10; Goodnight Mommy FC7; various FC1; Friday 13th (2009) FC3; The Lure FC11; Resident Evil: the Final Chapter FC6

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 19, 2021

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

graventy posted:

11. Serial Mom

This is the first movie I’ve seen directed by John Waters, and by all accounts it’s barely dipping your toe into the river of filth. Come on in, the water’s fine! Serial Mom is a great campy satire of a film, with an excellent cast.

I’ll have to check out the rest of his work that isn’t Seed of Chucky!

The closest in tone to Serial Mom is Polyester, a soap-operatic melodrama about a housewife named Francine Fishpaw dealing with her family falling apart.

If you wanna dive into the filth, I'd recommend Female Trouble and Desperate Living. If you're still on board, Pink Flamingos.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd actually recommend Cry Baby for John Waters films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.

The Wild Boys (2017)
Directed by Bertrand Mandico

The Wild Boys is a visually mesmerizing film that I think is about external forces dictating gender roles. Five terrible boys commit an unforgivable act of sexual violence and are sentenced to be tamed by a strange sea captain. The idea presented in the story is that he knows a way to make them more timid by feminizing them. After a harrowing sea voyage, the captain and the boys arrive on a mysterious island.

There are so many beautiful sequences in The Wild Boys, along with many that seem to be built to make audiences squirm in their seats. The swaps between color and black and white are very striking. The scenes on the boat have an especially dreamlike quality to them.

This film contains more messages than I think I will ever be able to unpack. The opening scenes convinced me that it was going to try to coast on shock value, but there’s a lot more to it. It’s actually very thought-provoking and well done.

:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

Time Travel Challenge: 31/31
1. Jigoku (1960), 2. The Curse of the Doll People (1961), 3. The Burning Court (1962), 4. X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963), 5. The Long Hair of Death (1964), 6. Planet of the Vampires (1965), 7. Daimajin (1966), 8. Viy (1967), 9. A Quiet Place in the Country (1968), 10. The Cremator (1969), 11. Equinox (1970), 12. Lake of Dracula (1971), 13. The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1972), 14. The Crazies (1973), 15. Deathdream aka Dead of Night (1974), 16. Race with the Devil (1975), 17. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976), 18. The Incredible Melting Man (1977), 19. The Grapes of Death (1978), 20. Tourist Trap (1979), 21. The Changeling (1980), 22. My Bloody Valentine (1981), 23. Human Lanterns (1982), 24. Christine (1983), 25. Night of the Comet (1984), 26. Demons (1985), 27. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986), 28. Wolf’s Hole (1987), 29. The Vanishing (1988), 30. Santa Sangre (1989), 31. Bride of Re-Animator (1990)

Bracketology: 10/?
1. Vampires vs. the Bronx, 2. The Roost, 3. Varan, 4. On the Silver Globe, 5. The Phantom of the Opera, 6. Mark of the Vampire, 7. Tigers Are Not Afraid, 8. Sightseers, 9. The House That Jack Built, 10. The Wild Boys

Fran Challenges: 11/13
1. Un Chien Andalou / The Big Shave / Kitchen Sink / Foxes / Portal to Hell!!!, 2. Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 3. The Burning, 4. Dead Ringers, 5. Belzebuth, 6. Fright Night, 7. The Brood, 8. Village of the Damned, 9. Cat People, 10. Birth of the Living Dead, 11. The Lure