Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nodosaur posted:

finally, a basis for my "Qinglongmon's pre-evolution is Majiramon" theory.

well him and Triceramon apparently

Not a bad choice, and "Deva into Holy Beast" has been an accepted evolution for about as long as we've had Devas. Especially after the EU stuff came out about how each of the Holy Beasts in theory has 3 Devas that answer to them personally. Of course, the punchline is that while the dragon Deva is "officially" under the dragon god the only bird isn't under Zhuqiaomon, the snake with the turtle shell isn't under Xuanwumon, and the Tiger isn't under Baihumon.

As for Triceramon evolving to Qinglongmon I like to forget that particular aborted bit of cruft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Omnicrom posted:

As for Triceramon evolving to Qinglongmon I like to forget that particular aborted bit of cruft.

One Triceramon tried very hard and got very lucky and I think that’s wonderful

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The original chosen childrens' partners becoming the sovereigns wasn't a bad idea. Some of the specific lines used (Or the ones that are similar to them in ReArise) aren't great tho.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's a workable idea, the problem is it didn't work. And Triceramon into Qinglongmon is only the tip of the iceberg.

Putting aside that it's an odd evolution line, that reveal comes way the hell out of nowhere and is portrayed awkwardly, the whole scene is weirdly flat and lame for how important it should be, and most importantly and damning of all it DIDN'T MATTER. It reveals one of the franchise's oldest setting mystery in an incredibly hacky way and then compounds it by doing nothing with it either in that scene or going forward in Tri. It gives motivation for one of the villains, yes, but they eject her from the story in movie five without actually resolving anything with her. You would think they were setting up an appearance by Huanlongmon given what happens in that scene, but no they dump Himekawa in the ocean and that's it. Heck, I don't remember if anyone actually gets around to telling the actual protagonists what happened in that flashback.

The fact that the Four Holy Beasts were the original Chosen Digimon and had partners makes absolutely no difference to anything in the movies. Those Digimon could have evolved into ANYTHING and the plot would not have changed, and that is the exact opposite of what you want from a review.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
See I actually like those lines cause they have some of that wackiness that a lot of lines in the early days of the franchise had while still being fairly cohesive in nature

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah I don't think any of the lines are terrible, though they could be improved.

(For those keeping score at home, the lines, based on the ones from ReArise:
Elecmon (virus) > Tuskmon > Triceramon > Qinglongmon
Kamemon > DinoHumon > Orochimon > Xuanwumon
Bearmon > Grizzmon > LoaderLeomon > Baihumon
Muchomon > Akatorimon > Hippogriffomon > Zhuqiaomon
and presumably would have been Bakumon > Monochromon > Megadramon > Huanglongmon)

The thing that feels weird to me is that several of those digimon are later designs than the sovereigns, some much later, and they mismatch aesthetically in weird ways.

But yes the actual scenario where they showed it was in the part where Tri had fumbled the plot ball entirely out of the stadium so it didn't get any kind of good showing. I do like the idea that the original sovereigns evolved from somewhat random things, but the evolving from devas was a succession from that. For that, I like to use Caturamon for Baihumon even though it's a dog because it has aesthetic similarities; North and south are harder because their attributes are different (North is Vaccine and South is virus while east and west are both data). I was vaguely satisfied with Vikaralamon for Xuanwumon and Sandiramon for south, for direct promotions. Mixing them around might be preferable to some people though. As far as the mismatches, there's only so much you can do with mythology.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I wouldn’t normally post this because most options aren’t that interesting but Gundramon’s option just dropped

quote:

Gewalt Schwärmer
If you have a Digimon with [Three Musketeers] in its type, you may use this Option card ignoring its colour requirements.
[Main] Delete all Digimon with a play cost of 7 or lower.

[Security] Add this card to your hand.

Gundramon’s on digivolve effect lets you play this for free. Yeah, sure, I’ll take a casual boardwipe

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I thought you could play any option card regardless of your Digimon’s color. What’s the color requirement?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I thought you could play any option card regardless of your Digimon’s color. What’s the color requirement?

You can only play an Option if you have a Digimon or Tamer of its colour in play.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

1st Stage Midboss posted:

You can only play an Option if you have a Digimon or Tamer of its colour in play.

Makes sense. Guess I remembered wrong.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My guess is that BelleStarmon will be a purple card, and Rebellimon is black as well as purple, meaning you can run Gundramon in a black/purple deck and get access to the purple seven cost option cards Trump Sword (destroy an active Digimon) and Nail Bone (play a purple level 3 and a purple level 4 from the trash). Will it be good? Probably not. Will it be cool? Very

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Just be careful, Gewaltschwärmer wipes your board (of low level things) too.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Digimon Adventure Episode 48: you think Mugendramon is just cursed? Because that was a goddamn miserable spate of action, and looking back Mugendramon has never appeared in a good fight. I think the best fight scene he ever had was in Tri that was basically him jobbing out and getting slapped around by the ultimates which, okay fair, but man is Mugendramon unlucky. And the worst part is that if this episode had any budget or any effort it probably would've looked amazing. Like, I have literally seen fights from the original Mobile Suit Gundam that looked way way better than that did.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not even going to spoil this

I'm sure, in scripting, in like, the storyboards, this fight looked *amazing*.

If I took the time to describe it here and now, the facts of what happened and the emotions they tried to convey, it would sound breathtaking

It would be heroic, and tragic and epic and an all time great goddamn fight, one of the best in all of Digimon.

Shame about the animation which had ZERO interest in any of this. This feels like a mistake. This feels like they didn't have time to do what they wanted to do and they just...how did this happen? I am so lost.

What the hell did they do

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

quote:

Magnakidmon
<Security Attack+1>
[When Digivolved] You may use 1 cost 7 Option card from your hand without paying its memory cost. If you did not use an Option card with this effect, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with 4000 DP or less.

Everybody’s favorite gun legged cowboy showed up. If he lets you play a card from your hand, and Gundramon lets you play from the top six cards of your deck, my guess is that BelleStarmon will let you use it from the trash

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow, ff1 red mage is a digimon. Thats cool, he can join ff1 black mage

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, that was a pretty cool episode in the alternate timeline where it wasn’t animated like it was from the 70s. If it were a filler episode or something it wouldn’t bother me so much, but that fight could have been something special, especially the last part. I guess story-wise it wasn’t bad or anything but it could have used more exposition. This Mugendramon was created to be one of the strongest Digimon based on the chosen Digimon’s data. Does that mean the one we saw MetalGreymon turn into was already mostly there and the current one is made primarily from his data?

How’s the show being received in Japan, anyway? I asked my one Digimon fan friend here but haven’t heard back.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 17, 2021

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Holy moly you guys weren't kidding about the animation.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

How’s the show being received in Japan, anyway? I asked my one Digimon fan friend here but haven’t heard back.

Can't say anything about fan reception but in terms of ratings it is tanking hard and Toei has admitted in their latest earnings report the series has almost no child viewers.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Pleeeeease let the lesson be "do something new" and not "time to re-kill Digimon."

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo. Like, yeah in theory with an actual budget, the action would have been incredible. But the budget wasn't there, and they still tried to pull it off. It was bizarre watching it.

I liked the concept of what I was watching but it was horrible anyway.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If Machinedramon wasn't trying to blow up Cloud Continent you could assume they could have just walked away. Don't think I remember seeing it actually walking around that entire episode

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nah this ain't budget. Toei's not hurting for money and all shows generally have the same budget. This right here is production issues - a big climactic fight doesn't end up looking like this unless there's some serious scheduling or pipeline issues behind the scenes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Bee posted:

Pleeeeease let the lesson be "do something new" and not "time to re-kill Digimon."

The games did moderately well, i think? Maybe this will convince them to kick bandais rear end and get survive made

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh i could live with them deciding to never do an anime again if it meant theyd focus on the videogames and tcg

This is of course a pipe dream, as the tcg will be killed in america in like 5 years as a direct attack on me, personally

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

The games did moderately well, i think? Maybe this will convince them to kick bandais rear end and get survive made

The latest rumour is that it'll be released on September but god knows I don't trust anything anymore. Even if we got an official release date, I wouldn't believe in it until the game actually came out.

Tbh i could live with them deciding to never do an anime again if it meant theyd focus on the videogames and tcg

I really don't want the anime to die. For a very long time it was by far the best part of the franchise and not only because the games put out a very low bar to clear. Adventure, Tamers, Savers, Appmon, all were goddamn excellent, and even 02 and Xros Wars were enjoyable watches. Digimon anime is normally good when it doesn't just want to retread Adventure, so if this teaches Toei to stop trying to do Adventure again when they clearly have no idea why Adventure worked, I'm sure we could get a brand new anime of very high quality that would no doubt be a complete failure on a sales standpoint.

Maybe just accept children don't care about Digimon and focus entirely on us, the manchildren who still love this series in spite of the terrible attempts at nostalgia. You don't need those, really, we love this franchise for far more than just The Tai Power Hour.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Did some googling and yeah it seems like the general consensus among Japanese fans (at least hardcore ones) is that Toei should lose the Digimon license, lol.
I gotta admit, I’d love to see what a different studio could do with the franchise. Give me a Trigger Digimon series and I’ll die a happy boy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

This is of course a pipe dream, as the tcg will be killed in america in like 5 years as a direct attack on me, personally
Five years is a very generous estimate.

Give me a Trigger Digimon series and I’ll die a happy boy.
I'd be... let's say slightly concerned about how the female Chosen would be designed, given that it's Trigger, but the fights would look cool and they'd definitely get to do cool things, at least. I can definitely think of worse companies to get the license.

I wonder what Bones would do with it...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Did some googling and yeah it seems like the general consensus among Japanese fans (at least hardcore ones) is that Toei should lose the Digimon license, lol.
I gotta admit, I’d love to see what a different studio could do with the franchise. Give me a Trigger Digimon series and I’ll die a happy boy.

Animated by Trigger? Hell yes. Written by Trigger? Fuuuuuck no. God, please no. I haven't gotten over them cocking up BNA's back half yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Do I want to know?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Animated by Trigger? Hell yes. Written by Trigger? Fuuuuuck no. God, please no. I haven't gotten over them cocking up BNA's back half yet.

Trigger isn’t one person. I haven’t seen BNA but they’ve had a number of writers. Gridman was pretty well written, for example.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Do I want to know?

It's nothing bad, it just never lives up to the potential of its premise and its killer first episode and comes in decidedly mediocre, doubly so when Beaststars is like literally right there beside it saying infinitely more profound things and hewing to its premise way better. When BNA's time comes to step up to the mic and say something, it just burps.

Trigger isn’t one person. I haven’t seen BNA but they’ve had a number of writers. Gridman was pretty well written, for example.

Yeah, but the consensus I've seen here and there is that their well-written shows are outliers compared to their body of C+/C- work. They're still great shows in other regards and in spite of that, but I'd still blanch at the prospect of Trigger's writers taking a crack at a Digimon show.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

For clarity, Gridman / Diyanzan was wrtian by the og gridman writer IIRC.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Iirc trigger did Turning Girls, the best anime of 20...15? So i trust them if whoever did that does, well, frankly any anime

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ryaomon posted:

Can't say anything about fan reception but in terms of ratings it is tanking hard and Toei has admitted in their latest earnings report the series has almost no child viewers.

I need to go back to this after remembering (to my great regret) Last Evolution and how it genuinely felt like an attack against people who still liked Digimon as adults (and also agaisnt anyone that thinks growing up shouldn't mean leaving all you liked as a child behind, but that's besides the point).

Modern Adventure is just a giant mess. Kill this thing off, never touch Adventure again, put the effort into making a genuinely good series instead of half-assed nostalgia bait, that may help! Hell, if you absolutely must do the nostalgia bait, Chiaki Konaka has been very insistent on wanting to do that Tamers 2, and seeing how it's Tamers, it'd work perfectly for the adult demographic that still keeps the franchise afloat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ConanThe3rd posted:

For clarity, Gridman / Diyanzan was wrtian by the og gridman writer IIRC.

you are in fact recalling incorrectly

Keiichi Hasegawa's a long time Ultra/Kamen Rider/Anime writer but did not work on the original Gridman

And regardless of that I'd say the actual reason Gridman and Dynazenon are good is because of director Akira Amemiya who is Trigger talent carried over from the Gainax days so the "Ew, Trigger" thing is still a weird direction to go

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

you are in fact recalling incorrectly

Keiichi Hasegawa's a long time Ultra/Kamen Rider/Anime writer but did not work on the original Gridman

And regardless of that I'd say the actual reason Gridman and Dynazenon are good is because of director Akira Amemiya who is Trigger talent carried over from the Gainax days so the "Ew, Trigger" thing is still a weird direction to go

Actually, was anyone from the original show involved with the Gridman/Dynazenon anime?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I don't feel like Adventure:'s problems are rooted in it using the Adventure characters. There's nothing really about the plot that's retreading Adventure specifically rather than being just a new "trapped in the Digital World"-type Digimon show, and non-partner Digimon that are in both shows are pretty different. It does suffer for having such a large cast - fewer kids would mean the non-lead focus would have been better spread out - but IMO its critical flaw is its pacing, and the same people at the same time presumably would have had that same issue no matter how fresh the show they're making was.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I don't feel like Adventure:'s problems are rooted in it using the Adventure characters. There's nothing really about the plot that's retreading Adventure specifically rather than being just a new "trapped in the Digital World"-type Digimon show, and non-partner Digimon that are in both shows are pretty different. It does suffer for having such a large cast - fewer kids would mean the non-lead focus would have been better spread out - but IMO its critical flaw is its pacing, and the same people at the same time presumably would have had that same issue no matter how fresh the show they're making was.

Honestly the one strength it has from re-using Adventure is the fact that we can go 'eh, we know how these kids are supposed to be because of what came before.'

If it didn't have that, if this was an entirely new cast, then the characters would ALL be turbo hosed because they have been given zero time to shine. It's gotten a little better in recent episodes- which is in the 40s- but we basically coasted on knowing the general archetypes that the kids fell into from the OG show. We STILL have no In Show context for the crests and what they're supposed to mean, that's all Past Show stuff.

This being rooted in Adventure absolutely isn't a problem. The problem is what the show actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I absolutely think that it reusing Adventure stuff is an issue though. It feels like the writers put little interest in characters because you're expected to know them already. Everyone has their Crests, but they're completely unexplained (beyond randomly dropping the word "Hope" around Takeru several times and "Friendship" around Yamato a couple of times, things that only make sense if you know about them already). Furthermore, characters are simplified from the original Adventure, lacking their more negative traits since, hey, we've already done this character development. Sadly it all ends up with characters feeling bland. Taichi and Koshiro especially feel completely devoid of personality, though the latter at least got a good episode with Gerbemon.

Other than that, yeah, the issues are from Adventure: itself, mostly the absolutely horrendous pacing. For some reason we got episodes that would've made sense before Perfects, character-focused episodes, extremely late. We got WarGreymon far earlier than any other Mega, and then the series had Taichi conveniently forget he could do that because otherwise the power balance wouldn't make any sense. It doesn't help that the episodes we did get early weren't great - lots of very basic enemies with no characterization, constant fights with nothing else, a clear lack of interest in character focus, and all made worse by a clear lack of interest from Toei in giving the series at least decent, consistent animation. Which they can absolutely do for a long-term series, the concurrent Dai no Daibouken has been great to excellent in all but, what, two episodes so far? And we've had three eps in a row with nothing but insane sakuga (with a few CGI fights in the middle that actually looked quite decent for CGI!).

Adventure: does stuff right, which makes things even more frustrating. Every actual character episode has been good to excellent. Some characters are genuinely more enjoyable than they were originally: Mimi lacking her crybaby nature has made her an absolute wonder, Takeru is a lot more enjoyable as this incredibly reckless kid that has absolutely no issues standing up to giant monsters that can and will kill him with extreme ease, and even Hikari has gotten some degree of characterization which she absolutely did not have in any series of the original Adventure continuity. But it's minor in comparison to what it does wrong, in animation, in pacing, in writing.

I feel it may read as if I hate Adventure:, and that's not the case. I just feel Adventure: is not great. It's one of the weaker Digimon series. It's not poo poo like Frontier or Hunters, it's significantly better than the other two attempts at reviving Adventure, but it can't compare to Adventure or V-Tamer despite taking heavy inspiration from both and wanting to update the former to a modern audience. It's a lot worse than its immediate predecessor Appmon, which also had some wonky pacing but it put a heavy focus on the characters themselves and in explaining the world they inhabit. It's a shame, after how exciting the first few episodes were, and how it felt like it was going on an upswing when it decided to finally give characters time to be characters and not just exist for poorly animated fight scenes every episode.

Anyways negativity aside, I'd recommend reading this thread. It shows the inspiration of different Digimon Card Game cards, and it's super interesting.
https://twitter.com/Cyber_C00kie/status/1394723125791707140