Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I knew MHA was bad and not worth watching the minute I saw the ugly rear end character designs personally.

the rabbit girl is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

I knew MHA was bad and not worth watching the minute I saw the ugly rear end character designs personally.

Some of them are good, they're just characters who don't matter.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Uglier than one piece!?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked how weird some of the char designs in mha can get but it's funny how deku's design is the result of horikoshi sending the concept for mha in as a story about deku being a weird lanky kind of creepy-looking salaryman who means well and them telling him to tone him down into a lovable young shounen hero in high school

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Uglier than one piece!?

One Piece has good character designs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

One Piece has good character designs.

at least until the timeskip

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i liked how weird some of the char designs in mha can get but it's funny how deku's design is the result of horikoshi sending the concept for mha in as a story about deku being a weird lanky kind of creepy-looking salaryman who means well and them telling him to tone him down into a lovable young shounen hero in high school

I'm actually kinda sad that the concept of MHA being about basically Not!Batman got axed. I hope the Quirkless genius inventor girl from the first movie comes back as an expy of Tony Stark.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there already is a recent not-batman anime, millionaire detective

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

there already is a recent not-batman anime, millionaire detective

A look at the plot synopsis on wikipedia though doesn't seem to suggest that they use gadgets/high tech devices to counteract powerful Quirks using quick wit, preparation and planning.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

A look at the plot synopsis on wikipedia though doesn't seem to suggest that they use gadgets/high tech devices to counteract powerful Quirks using quick wit, preparation and planning.
nah, instead it's a rich gently caress using gadgets and unlimited money to be a vigilante rear end in a top hat and everyone hates him

if you want someone taking down superpowered teens with preparation and planning, that's Talentless Nana

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One Piece seems very good at what it's trying to do, unfortunately what it's trying to do makes my eyes bleed

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
One Piece has some of the most creative character designs in the industry, so it's a shame how many women in the series still look like Nami.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

nah, instead it's a rich gently caress using gadgets and unlimited money to be a vigilante rear end in a top hat and everyone hates him

if you want someone taking down superpowered teens with preparation and planning, that's Talentless Nana

So, I think the point here though is that these other suggestions don't quite scratch the itch the original concept would have.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I want to respect One Piece because it dared to do something different than anything else and have an art style that wasn’t just another interchangeable shonen battle manga. And the artist is doing it as a legitimate and consistently done artistic choice. But it’s so goddamn hideous. And not like say Dorohedoro where it’s the world of the story that’s hideous. Or like some Junji Ito horror comic where the art itself is part of the mood. It’s just revolting to look at in a fundamental way that it isn’t supposed to be. I instinctually want to take a flamethrower to all the characters, Especially when they do that square mouth crying face.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think either of these manga are that ugly outside of how oda draws boobs too big as one piece goes on

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

galagazombie posted:

I want to respect One Piece because it dared to do something different than anything else and have an art style that wasn’t just another interchangeable shonen battle manga. And the artist is doing it as a legitimate and consistently done artistic choice. But it’s so goddamn hideous. And not like say Dorohedoro where it’s the world of the story that’s hideous. Or like some Junji Ito horror comic where the art itself is part of the mood. It’s just revolting to look at in a fundamental way that it isn’t supposed to be. I instinctually want to take a flamethrower to all the characters, Especially when they do that square mouth crying face.
Fishman Island was the biggest aesthetic letdown, considering the princes' designs and the uninspired, bland color palettes for tropical fish-based folk.
Franky always looked like an abomination who did jackshit post-timeskip except fight a grown man in diapers.
Also I feel like the Straw Hats had huge potential from what they could've learned or experienced during the timeskip (we NEVER got to hear about Robin's rev activities or Franky's prototypes or Brook's music career). But instead they learned a couple of moves that were only dominating during Fishman Island.
Above all Dressrosa was such a padded drain that assassinated my patience for this series. I only want it to burn down like AOT.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

surprising that a fundamentally revolving manga is also the best selling one of all time

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

What are you all talking about. One Piece looks fantastic, and aside from the sad drawback of Namiface, it has wildly creative and fun designs all other the place

It's just got extremely poo poo battles where nothing anybody can do or pull off makes sense, it's Calvinball to the max, the concept of just-fuckin-better-than-you-plebs is baked into nonsensical aura stuff and it's impossible to gauge what any given attack achieves without the manga explicitly telling you, which it rolls back 70% of the time anyway

Its action works best when it does not focus on any single fight, which kinda sucks in a battle shonen

I'm way more mad at One Piece than you guys :colbert:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bleach stays winning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

It's just got extremely poo poo battles where nothing anybody can do or pull off makes sense, it's Calvinball to the max, the concept of just-fuckin-better-than-you-plebs is baked into nonsensical aura stuff and it's impossible to gauge what any given attack achieves without the manga explicitly telling you, which it rolls back 70% of the time anyway

Its action works best when it does not focus on any single fight, which kinda sucks in a battle shonen
other stuff that wasnt true pre timeskip

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

other stuff that wasnt true pre timeskip

The "impossible to gauge what any given attack achieves" part was pretty much always a problem for One Piece, with Luffy vs. Foxy probably being the worst pre-time skip offender.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the entire gag with foxy was that all his attacks achieved nothing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that the earlier fights in one piece are entirely just people throwing weird abilities at each other. the haki stuff that comes later is what sounds lame about it to me

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Guys ZLS is a battle manga now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you have literally never made a post in this thread that isnt about zombieland saga

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i will stop

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ftr im not telling you to stop being excited about and liking zls, just like, talk about other stuff you like too a bit, idk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection ep 6 update: this show rules

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
More people should check it out the best show, Odd Taxi.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or at least check out the sick OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKMw0hBDBUw

(seriously, though, go watch Oddtaxi; probs my contender for AOTY)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Or at least check out the sick OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKMw0hBDBUw

(seriously, though, go watch Oddtaxi; probs my contender for AOTY)

Saving it for next season. It's looking like pretty thin gruel right now, so having something good ready will make it go a bit smoother.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Must be missing something others are seeing in Blue Reflection cause at best I find it inconsistent and at worst it falls into the trap every bad dark edgy magical shows falls into

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think Blue Reflection's *trying* to be the sort of show I really like and just not quite *getting there* IMO - which hey so far that's enough for me to *enjoy watching* more then a few shows I think are *better TV*, lol.

Doing a good job of making me wonder how it's going to try and hold itself together on the way to wherever it's trying to go.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it's watchable even if I do have issues with it in places. And also doesn't have the bloom of the actual video game!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thank you everyone... you are giving me more power to watch blue reflection rays

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cardfight Vanguard: OverDress! The card battle anime that goes out of its way to not have card battles. I'm kinda into it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

This week's Saint's was different because it showed us what's been happening with the other girl and how the Prince has reacted to the news that she's probably not the Saint. It's pretty clear she's just in over her head because she was an ordinary teenage girl in the old world and is totally unprepared to deal with an alien culture. She latches onto the Prince because she sees him as being safe and he showers her with praise. It looks like she's not interested in him romantically though, unlike what everybody else thought, she just doesn't understand how things work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Must be missing something others are seeing in Blue Reflection cause at best I find it inconsistent and at worst it falls into the trap every bad dark edgy magical shows falls into
i wouldnt really call it 'dark bad edgy,' this most recent episode was written with way more empathy and compassion than a ton of similar shows. if anything id say it explicitly avoids the trap stuff like wonder egg falls into. like it managed to get through an entire episode about compensated dating and prostitution without ever once going 'now, child prostitution is a very serious issue plaguing society, but also, AYY, LADS?' like a lot of stuff would. granted im not sure the show's art quality could achieve the herculean task of sexualization, but still.

like iunno when i think about how blue reflection handles a child abuse backstory ep (mostly showing her reactions and mental state, the scenes where you see actual abuse taking place or get anything from her mother probably amount to a minute and a half, tops) versus how say, wonder egg handles it (constant flashbacks to the moments something bad happened, a giant wacky inflatable tube monster that loudly yells about how beating children is good and also they're a pedophile and let me tell you more about this), one is vastly better handled than the other.

the way i would describe it is that while blue reflection feels the need to depict this stuff, it takes no real pleasure in doing so, versus something like wegg or similar 'dark edgy magical girl shows' like mahou shoujo site, where... im not saying those shows think child abuse is good, or anything, but they're clearly getting a kind of transgressive thrill out of depicting it.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 19, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Endorph posted:

Ftr im not telling you to stop being excited about and liking zls, just like, talk about other stuff you like too a bit, idk

This is a thread for spring anime. I don't see why they can't talk about whatever spring anime they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is a thread for spring anime. I don't see why they can't talk about whatever spring anime they want.

tying unrelated conversations back to zombieland saga was a bit annoying was all i meant, i didnt meant to tell them to stop posting lol