Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

life_source posted:

Luckily I picked an exo face without a nose. Checkmate Clovis!

but how do they smell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I was going to make a joke about some low level ClovisBray employee designing and implementing simulated olfactory recognition and Clovis himself firing them in an angry rage before taking full credit for it when I realized Clovis is literally just Elon Musk.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

but how do they smell?

Like stale ramen and jet fuel.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kith posted:

not that different from being human, so i don't see a downside

the real question is: what happens if you're Exo Joe-2 and become Exo Joe-3 and suddenly you're Guardian-worthy?

or, and here's a REALLY fun one: what if Exo Joe-2 the Guardian decides to reboot themselves and become Exo Joe-3? is Joe-3 still a Guardian? If Joe-3 dies, will they res as Joe-2 or Joe-3?

I think Cayde confirmed that? I know when you go searching for his caches after he dies you find one which addresses the Deep Stone Crypt and he talks about some walk and how one day he was going to expose them or something? I wish we'd found out more about his relationship with the Drifter.

The wiping process sounded really grim if I remember right however, I think it talked about how mentally Exos are forced to kill their friends and loved ones as part of the process? Not in reality but in their minds via some kind of simulation.

We know that becoming a guardian wipes your past self (e.g. Crow) but I wonder how that works for Exos if Cayde's cache about that walk are true. Bungie did present everything as Cayde not really being 100% sure if the memories he hid away were real or not, though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

The wiping process sounded really grim if I remember right however, I think it talked about how mentally Exos are forced to kill their friends and loved ones as part of the process? Not in reality but in their minds via some kind of simulation.
Eternal sunshine of the exomind.

Exo farting is canon at least.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
Exo contain the ability to be a different person post reset. Banshee-44.

A relentless Warlord Guardian reset into a lone raider, with light intact. Unnamed in the lore linked above.

It can happen to Exo of any type it seems. Guardians also have this ability, it is something to do with the rules introduced by the Gardener and Winnower.

This same process occurred in Aurash, and the Darkness had him killed for it.

quote:

As Auryx and his sisters forced an ultimatum on the remaining proto-Hive to accept the worms or perish, Auryx turned his attention to Fundament's moons, and the Ammonites there who had allied with the Traveler and gave asylum to Taox. Initially he was willing to negotiate with the Ammonites, but his sister Savathûn, under pressure from the Worms, killed Auryx as punishment. Rather than dying, Auryx's soul instead passed to his Ascendant realm, or throne world, where his soul resided until he returned to the mortal realm. Rebuked, Auryx purged what sympathy and goodwill he had left, becoming a merciless tyrant. He and his sisters warred with and killed one another on a regular basis after the defeat of the Ammonites, as part of their worship of the Sword-Logic and their attempt to become the sharpest blades in the universe, heading to their Ascendant realms when defeated. Their war of revenge against Taox had transformed into a campaign of genocide, when they slew the Ammonites and other interstellar civilizations to feed their worms. The lords of the Hive also established their Ascendant realms, with Auryx naming his the High War.[8]

Bideo James fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Kind of a bummer that there's no incentive to do Contest VoG other than hope for world's first? No unique emblem, guaranteed exotic, etc

Our clan has heaps of people wanting to run sunday and like 4 dudes who want to run it at -30 LL or whatever

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Kind of a bummer that there's no incentive to do Contest VoG other than hope for world's first? No unique emblem, guaranteed exotic, etc

Our clan has heaps of people wanting to run sunday and like 4 dudes who want to run it at -30 LL or whatever

um you will get a permission slip to buy a shader from eververse

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PERMACAV 50 posted:

um you will get a permission slip to buy a shader from eververse

There's plenty of incentive to do regular VoG, including said coupon!!!

They just sorta forgot to have incentive for a first 24 hour completion

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Walking around the refuge area, and I just know something awful is going to go down here. It is just too convenient that things seem to be going well.

So that got me thinking, if the guardians need to protect the Eliksni from other guardians (I.E. FWC) how would that works? We can't really kill each other...

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mesadoram posted:

Walking around the refuge area, and I just know something awful is going to go down here. It is just too convenient that things seem to be going well.

So that got me thinking, if the guardians need to protect the Eliksni from other guardians (I.E. FWC) how would that works? We can't really kill each other...

lore's full of guardians killing each other('s ghost)

or kill guardian, put ghost in small box when they come out to rez

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mesadoram posted:

"Remember.... No Fallen"

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Yeah, the lore is full of weak whining about how you shouldn't target ghosts or final death other guardians no matter how awful they are.

Everything else is free game, kill to your hearts content!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sekenr posted:

They'll mindwipe her into Lakshme 3. Someone has to sit there being useless

This would be an insane plot point given who Lakshmi-2 is; she's been around forever, seen it all, and I think the least wiped of all exos iirc.

SUNKOS posted:

I think Cayde confirmed that? I know when you go searching for his caches after he dies you find one which addresses the Deep Stone Crypt and he talks about some walk and how one day he was going to expose them or something? I wish we'd found out more about his relationship with the Drifter.

We know that becoming a guardian wipes your past self (e.g. Crow) but I wonder how that works for Exos if Cayde's cache about that walk are true. Bungie did present everything as Cayde not really being 100% sure if the memories he hid away were real or not, though.

iirc the golden wheat fields vs. killing everyone you know is a binary sequence of dreams that all exos have:

absolute lore posted:

This is the tower where we were born. Not the Tower. Just a tower in a dream.

The tower stands on a black plain. Behind the tower is a notch in the mountains where the sun sets. The teeth of the mountain cut the sun into fractal shapes and the light that comes down at evening paints synapse shapes on the ground. Usually it's evening when we come.

The ground is fertile. This is good land. We go to the tower in dreams but that doesn't mean it's not real.

Some of us go to the tower in peace. They walk through a field of golden millet and a low warm wind blows in from their back. I don't know why this is, because:

The rest of us meet an army.

You can ask others about Deep Stone and they'll tell you about the army. They might confess one truth, which is this: we have to kill the army to get to the tower. Usually this starts bare-handed, and somewhere along the way you take a weapon.

Ask again and if they're buzzed they might also admit that most of us don't make it to the Tower, except once or twice.

None of them will tell you that the army is made of everyone we meet. The people we work with and the people we see in the street and the people we tell about our dreams. We kill them all. I think because we were made to kill and this is the part of us that thinks about nothing else.

Often I kill people I don't know, but like most of us I think I knew them once, in the time before one reset or another, when my mind was younger and less terribly scarred.

So that is how we go back to the Deep Stone Crypt, where we were born.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 18, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Waffle House posted:

This would be an insane plot point given who Lakshmi-2 is; she's been around forever, seen it all, and I think the least wiped of all exos iirc.

There is also Ada, but she's a special case.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Waffle House posted:

This would be an insane plot point given who Lakshmi-2 is; I think the least wiped of all exos iirc.

Perhaps she's overdue.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Mazerunner posted:

lore's full of guardians killing each other('s ghost)

or kill guardian, put ghost in small box when they come out to rez

life_source posted:

Yeah, the lore is full of weak whining about how you shouldn't target ghosts or final death other guardians no matter how awful they are.

Everything else is free game, kill to your hearts content!

Interesting, my lore on Destiny is a little rocky but I do remember that you need a special bullet to kill a ghost or something?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"Remember.... No Fallen"

I don't know what that means/is in reference to :smith:.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No, Risen killed each other in droves in the old days that's what the Iron Lords did all the time to Warlords.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SkyeAuroline posted:

There is also Ada, but she's a special case.

tbf she's been hiding since before tower time was even recorded

Coldforge posted:

Perhaps she's overdue.

Political as gently caress in three words you are an absolute madman

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

I don't know what that means/is in reference to :smith:.

Modern Warfare 2's airport level.

life_source
May 11, 2008

Eej posted:

No, Risen killed each other in droves in the old days that's what the Iron Lords did all the time to Warlords.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/loose-ends-pt-ii#lord-felwinter

Not according to this, since why wouldn't Efrideet just murk these 3 dangerous assholes and there are at least two other lore bits that I can't find at the moment that agree with me. One is about Felwinter specifically killing a Warlord, key phrase I remember is about two blasts from his shotgun, and another is about how one of the Iron Lords hated Felwinters guts because they found out about other Final Death's Felwinter delivered.

Basically there aren't enough truly dead guardians around and Ghosts being "special" and requiring anything more than enough regular firepower to destroy is dumb.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Azubah posted:

Modern Warfare 2's airport level.

I figured it, thank you lol.

I was looking up Destiny 2 lore trying to find that quote.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

life_source posted:

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/loose-ends-pt-ii#lord-felwinter

Not according to this, since why wouldn't Efrideet just murk these 3 dangerous assholes and there are at least two other lore bits that I can't find at the moment that agree with me. One is about Felwinter specifically killing a Warlord, key phrase I remember is about two blasts from his shotgun, and another is about how one of the Iron Lords hated Felwinters guts because they found out about other Final Death's Felwinter delivered.

Basically there aren't enough truly dead guardians around and Ghosts being "special" and requiring anything more than enough regular firepower to destroy is dumb.

Only last season we had that Psion attempt on Zavala's life and instead of shooting his ghost it fired a smaller version of what caged the Traveler to make him vulnerable, with Caitl stepping in and stopping the other Psion that went to kill him without the protection of the light. If Ghosts could be taken out by normal bullets the Psion would have just fired an actual bullet at Zavala's ghost and that would have been that.

The bullet that took out Cayde's ghost was supposedly very special and rare as well, which is why he was so arrogant about pulling his ghost out to heal when completely surrounded.

I'm not deep on lore but isn't there something about Thorn and it having killed a lot of guardians? I do think Ghosts needing special bullets to be destroyed is a little silly but I can't really keep up with the lore since things seem kinda off sometimes. There was that post mentioning Hive worms for example but we killed one in the Warmind DLC without it being a very big deal, it wasn't even a raid boss. To think all the Hive, as powerful as they are, are essentially enslaved by these things is odd, but I probably missed a bunch of lore things related to this and might be wrong.

I'm also really far behind on things but I know Osiris lost his light and Sagira is gone. Do they explain what happened in the game or is it a mystery?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SUNKOS posted:

I'm also really far behind on things but I know Osiris lost his light and Sagira is gone. Do they explain what happened in the game or is it a mystery?

Hive "magic" bullshit or whatever. The hand-waving is incredible.

Just got the Null Composure and I gotta say, I miss how hard the Loaded Question hit. Also, the AoE seems super small. Guess I am going back to using Salvager's Salo again :smith:.

Is light.gg a train wreck for anyone else right now?

Edit: Never mind, seems like the site is working again.

Double Edit: Wait, the Plug One also gets Reservoir Burst? Sooooo basically that becomes the loaded question...

Triple Edit: Ahh gently caress nuggets, it was the nightfall weapon last week. Gotta wait 2 more weeks before I can farm it again :smith:

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 19, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Every new weapon is dope. Don't sleep on the sidearm.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SUNKOS posted:

Only last season we had that Psion attempt on Zavala's life and instead of shooting his ghost it fired a smaller version of what caged the Traveler to make him vulnerable, with Caitl stepping in and stopping the other Psion that went to kill him without the protection of the light. If Ghosts could be taken out by normal bullets the Psion would have just fired an actual bullet at Zavala's ghost and that would have been that.

The bullet that took out Cayde's ghost was supposedly very special and rare as well, which is why he was so arrogant about pulling his ghost out to heal when completely surrounded.

I'm not deep on lore but isn't there something about Thorn and it having killed a lot of guardians? I do think Ghosts needing special bullets to be destroyed is a little silly but I can't really keep up with the lore since things seem kinda off sometimes. There was that post mentioning Hive worms for example but we killed one in the Warmind DLC without it being a very big deal, it wasn't even a raid boss. To think all the Hive, as powerful as they are, are essentially enslaved by these things is odd, but I probably missed a bunch of lore things related to this and might be wrong.

Ghosts die all the time though. Twilight Gap had a ton of final deaths that's why it was so important and their opponents were Fallen.

Also Hive worms are part of a big soul taking ponzi scheme. Feed the worm with power from Sword Logic and it makes you more powerful and in turn requires more power to make you stronger and if you fail to keep feeding into the loop it consumes you. Or just have your underlings tithe their power to you.

e: Cabal mention taking out Guardians via complete artillery saturation too

Eej fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 19, 2021

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Mesadoram posted:

Hive "magic" bullshit or whatever. The hand-waving is incredible.

literally built into the way their magic works. handwaves away with runes pulling power from another place

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Bideo James posted:

literally built into the way their magic works. handwaves away with runes pulling power from another place

I am just bitter they killed off Sagira :colbert:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like it kinda undercuts the potential danger and menace of a Guardian gone rogue if all it takes it shooting their ghost once or twice.

The message in the Eliksni camp talking about how they had a symbol to "ward" off guardians, and why they once feared them because there's been guardians who didn't stop at just the soldiers. To someone on the receiving end, a guardian is basically a horror movie/game creature. You can't loving kill them, so if they want you dead, what the hell do you do?

I think back to the cutscene with all the Eliskni huddled in the cave, knowing a guardian is near.

Also, guardians/ghosts being hard to kill makes it a bigger deal when someone does die.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Eej posted:

Ghosts die all the time though. Twilight Gap had a ton of final deaths that's why it was so important and their opponents were Fallen.

I never looked into the lore of that and assumed most deaths were civilian rather than guardians but if guardians were getting slaughtered in great numbers by Fallen then I don't think Bungie really thought out the lore of the game very well.

I always figured that guardians were practically unstoppable killing machines (you can still fight them by putting them down over and over again, but it's attrition) and that in the world of Destiny the threat was that there wasn't really enough guardians to handle all the danger and so they had to be careful with where resources and priorities were allocated (e.g. Zavala constantly wanting to protect the people of the city rather than go off chasing weird stuff) since what we see is a huge city full of civilians but a small tower overlooking it with not many guardians occupying it. That and D1 started with the player ghost saying they spent a stupidly long time trying to find the player.

It always seemed that a guardian turning up somewhere was a big deal with how the game set things up and that the death of one was a big blow to humanity since there weren't a large number of them. Humanity being pushed all the way back to Earth and one city seemed to emphasize this as well, that there simply wasn't enough to go around and so planets were lost one after another, with even Earth now being infested with Fallen, Cabal, Hive and Taken.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SUNKOS posted:

The story on Sagira is just short stories on bungie.net, by the time you start the season 12 questline she’s already gone.

Part 1- https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/49746

Part 2- https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/49747

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Sagira might not actually be dead, given the growing evidence for the theory that Savathun is disguised as Osiris or is controlling him.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SUNKOS posted:

I never looked into the lore of that and assumed most deaths were civilian rather than guardians but if guardians were getting slaughtered in great numbers by Fallen then I don't think Bungie really thought out the lore of the game very well.

I always figured that guardians were practically unstoppable killing machines (you can still fight them by putting them down over and over again, but it's attrition) and that in the world of Destiny the threat was that there wasn't really enough guardians to handle all the danger and so they had to be careful with where resources and priorities were allocated (e.g. Zavala constantly wanting to protect the people of the city rather than go off chasing weird stuff) since what we see is a huge city full of civilians but a small tower overlooking it with not many guardians occupying it. That and D1 started with the player ghost saying they spent a stupidly long time trying to find the player.

It always seemed that a guardian turning up somewhere was a big deal with how the game set things up and that the death of one was a big blow to humanity since there weren't a large number of them. Humanity being pushed all the way back to Earth and one city seemed to emphasize this as well, that there simply wasn't enough to go around and so planets were lost one after another, with even Earth now being infested with Fallen, Cabal, Hive and Taken.

Eramis is mentioned to have killed hundreds of Guardians at Twilight Gap which was a battle that involved basically every Fallen House aside from Wolves (who got caught up in the Reef due to Awoken shenanigans). The near disaster is what spurred Shaxx to create the Crucible to train Guardians how to fight. The history of Guardians getting owned in large battles is basically them being overconfident in their immortality. At Twilight Gap they never had to really fight as an organized force, at the Great Disaster they didn't expect that Hive Knight swords could eat their Light and died in the hundreds and Cayde died because he didn't expect anyone to be able to snipe an aware ghost in combat. A skilled and prepared Lightbearer is a force of nature but a lot of Guardians are just regular dudes who can be taken unaware.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

As a reminder, it took nine guardians to go get squadwiped in the Savathun's Song strike and for a while the Vanguard thought of Knights as on par with Guardians

Most Guardians are very bad at their jobs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've always figured dying in a darkness zone 'canonically' resulted in your ghost getting smashed. You don't rez and there's nothing to defend the ghosts from the enemies all around.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Roctavian posted:

Sagira might not actually be dead, given the growing evidence for the theory that Savathun is disguised as Osiris or is controlling him.

She was also Eris Morn for a little while last year, I'm betting that whatever she ends up being won't be whatever Red Herring has been set up

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Petra caused the deaths of a guardian fireteam by calling in a danger close artillery strike that caught their ghosts too

and Cabal battle doctrine noted that artillery bombardments can destroy ghosts, except that ghosts remain hidden and guardians are a scattered guerilla force so bombardment isn't very effective

e; so a pitched battle like TG means that ghosts/guardians are vulnerable to massed fire

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Now I'm wondering how the heck humanity is still alive in the game universe :psyduck:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's kinda why it's called The Last City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RBX posted:

Every new weapon is dope. Don't sleep on the sidearm.

It'll leave a mark on your face :dadjoke: