Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

power it with all the batteries that are already down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, i think the plan all along was that if failure rates are improved enough you'd build them to never be maintained. sink them, operate, and then only drag them back up when it is time to recycle everything in them.

the fact that they're not doing it still suggests that the numbers indeed don't add up, but, idk, seems a really interesting (ecologically mostly) thing to have tried.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
the great barrier reef of san fran bay, brought to you by: microsoft

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, i think the plan all along was that if failure rates are improved enough you'd build them to never be maintained. sink them, operate, and then only drag them back up when it is time to recycle everything in them.

the fact that they're not doing it still suggests that the numbers indeed don't add up, but, idk, seems a really interesting (ecologically mostly) thing to have tried.

putting things in the ocean is really expensive, and people who sail in it are awful

I mean, the headline "Microsoft implements under water data center" would be immediately followed by "microsoft data center wrecked by cruise ship, no survivors"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jonny 290 posted:

oh also there's no physical security at the bottom of the _fucking ocean_ so you can't use it to store any data worth anything

Something something Glomar Internet Explorer

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

`Nemesis posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/14/tech/microsoft-underwater-data-center/index.html

they say it had 1/8th the rate of hardware failures as land based equipment

oh is that what a data lake is?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LibCrusher posted:

which is why Microsoft announced a huge expansion in underwater data centers

deep learning is a big investment

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jonny 290 posted:

oh also there's no physical security at the bottom of the _fucking ocean_ so you can't use it to store any data worth anything

<fish voice> im in

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goblin week posted:

<haddock voice> im fin

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

time to go phishing

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

klosterdev posted:

Pumping seawater up and down requires energy, moving parts, filters, cleaning, and moving highly corrosive water around.

Just plopping in the ocean as a passive solution was much more clever. As long as the container itself and the lines leading to it stay passively waterproof it should work pretty drat well.

now you're thinking with portholes!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

let’s not boil the ocean here

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the oceans are already boiling themselves, might as well take advantage of it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Gentle Autist posted:

let’s not boil the ocean here

ancient antipodean saying?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

when ouya "launched" at some tech event, but they couldn't get a booth so they set up a tent outside lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

goblin week posted:

<fish voice> im in

takes a lot of school to do this

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

takes a lot of school to do this

shoal us how it's done

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

polyester concept posted:

when ouya "launched" at some tech event, but they couldn't get a booth so they set up a tent outside lmao

ouya

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
empty real estate in title bars so that you could drag windows around easily

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

today i found out you can still close a window by double clicking the top left corner even though the icon isn't there any more

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

President Beep posted:

ancient antipodean saying?

no IT people in the 3 countries i’ve worked in (uk, aus, nz) say it regularly to mean ‘let’s limit scope’

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweevo posted:

today i found out you can still close a window by double clicking the top left corner even though the icon isn't there any more

I’m just never stopped doing this, but yeah I guess you’re right there often isn’t anything there anymore

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Gentle Autist posted:

no IT people in the 3 countries i’ve worked in (uk, aus, nz) say it regularly to mean ‘let’s limit scope’

well I’m (kind of) an IT person in america and I’ve never heard of it :colbert:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its an older it person phrase in my experience. also the next step is try to boil the whole beach typically

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jonny 290 posted:

if you're that worried about it then have them wired to flood if they're tampered with

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i just remembered this prestigious UX university

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

2009 lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it’s on panhandle road because that’s what you’ll be doing with a degree from there

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve been trying to think up a School of Athens joke all afternoon but I’m stumped.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Excuse me but do any of you have the express written consent of OUXInstitute.com?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

it’s on panhandle road because that’s what you’ll be doing with a degree from there

lmbo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

folksy banjo(?) music in tech ads

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

that's Greenwich naval college in the background what the gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that's Greenwich naval college in the background what the gently caress

https://goo.gl/maps/nxKpsp8n4tkQyppW7 lol

Adbot