Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

From last May but still relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
They can build a self driving boat, but can't come up with windshield washers for the panels?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ultrafilter posted:

From last May but still relevant.

Eh, far too reductive, we also need to acknowledge the intersectionality with all the Americans who are shooting themselves in the dick out of spite, arrogance, or laziness too

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Thaddius the Large posted:

Eh, far too reductive, we also need to acknowledge the intersectionality with all the Americans who are shooting themselves in the dick out of spite, arrogance, or laziness too

Most of the broke-brained concepts that have destroyed the moral fabric of America were conceived and promoted with economic motives. It's fair to classify it as a syndrome, instead of listing off the symptoms.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Johnny Aztec posted:

They can build a self driving boat, but can't come up with windshield washers for the panels?

Can't just wipe birdshit away that easily, you gotta spray it and really power it off otherwise it just smears around and makes a bigger mess.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Can't just wipe birdshit away that easily, you gotta spray it and really power it off otherwise it just smears around and makes a bigger mess.

For $12.50 an hour do you think I give a gently caress about that.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Inceltown posted:

For $12.50 an hour do you think I give a gently caress about that.

Just cover the solar panels. You won't need to clean any bird poo poo off them, and you'll get paid the entire time you're on the water.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Velocity Raptor posted:

Just cover the solar panels. You won't need to clean any bird poo poo off them, and you'll get paid the entire time you're on the water.

:lol: genious

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect the roboat probably doesn't have enough food or water to last that long and also you have to sleep sandwiched between the server racks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If that things AI or navigation crashes or glitches it could be a death sentence if there aren't some good failsafes. Getting stranded in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean isn't a good time even though it's preferable to being stranded in say the Pacific (big) or Arctic (icy) Oceans.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah note it says "attempt" to cross the atlantic, not that they are particularly confident that it can manage it.

I definitely trust silicon valley techbros to make a boat that can cross the atlantic, crewed or not.

You'll be lucky if the thing isn't on fire and upside down within a week.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Baron von Eevl posted:

????? You're in the goddamn ocean. Hook up a big pipe that sucks up ocean water and power blast that poo poo. . Can have a regular water tank that sprays the panels lightly after to remove salt. gently caress, you could even have a condensation catcher set up to funnel water right into the tank.

I mean, really, how often are birds going to be making GBS threads on the panels? Birds hanging out? Automated water pistol. It already exists.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I agree. Smoking weed is safer.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

????? You're in the goddamn ocean. Hook up a big pipe that sucks up ocean water and power blast that poo poo. . Can have a regular water tank that sprays the panels lightly after to remove salt. gently caress, you could even have a condensation catcher set up to funnel water right into the tank.

I mean, really, how often are birds going to be making GBS threads on the panels? Birds hanging out? Automated water pistol. It already exists.

they have played us for fools!!!

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Velocity Raptor posted:

Strong paperclip maximiser energy

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is the implication here that at any given time nearly 4 in 10 FSU students are several drinks in?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

If I was an early 20s person living in Florida I would also be constantly 4 drinks in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is the implication here that at any given time nearly 4 in 10 FSU students are several drinks in?

Nah...it's FAR higher than that.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The ocean is scary and will kill you for the most minor mistake. Less so in modern days of gargantuan ships but the line between death and life is thin out on open seas.

The Atlantic is sorta comparatively safe because the traffic is basically constant so rescue is likely if you're lucky and it doesn't turn into collision.

Source:
My family is sailors for the last 200 or so years and a bunch of them died for the stupidest minor mistakes.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Johnny Aztec posted:

the actual job is desalinating the ocean water so you can load the robot with water that wont destroy the solar panels. your basically being tugged along on a raft and you have to do that thing from water world where he turns his piss into clean water. then feed it to the robot boat. to get the piss you have to drink salt water and youre probably gonna die.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Amphigory posted:

Strong paperclip maximiser energy

drat I'd forgotten all about this game. Game of the year whatever year it was I spent every moment I could playing it over and over at work. Great times

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Automated water pistol. It already exists.

We have the tools, and the resources (unmute):

https://i.imgur.com/3KX5zc1.mp4

TITTIEKISSER69 has a new favorite as of 01:51 on May 19, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

*racks shotgun*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I found these IMDB Credits

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hollismason posted:

I found these IMDB Credits

lol wow

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Some deft characterization going on with the entire cast

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Source

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

The greatest movie of all time: Final Destination 2

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Cesar Romero was totally a fart Joker.

he was more about oranges, really.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just teleport the babby out you idiots

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

aphid_licker posted:

Just teleport the babby out you idiots

but then you-know-who would be involved

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Yellow Yoshi posted:

but then you-know-who would be involved

Okay wow didn’t know it was cool to be racist to the Irish like that

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Knock me up, Scottie.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Thaddius the Large posted:

Okay wow didn’t know it was cool to be racist to the Irish like that

What, you never saw Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 2, Episode 18: Up the Long Ladder?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when Worf learned that Keiko was pregnant again