Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Roman Reigns posted:

I mean yeah obviously, but that doesn’t mean he can’t write dialog outside Snout’s point of view for pacing reasons and to keep the readers informed gently caress :eng99:

But you see, contrary to being a challenge, having "no dialogue" actually allows Mookie to expend LESS EFFORT on writing. Before, Mookie didn't plan ahead, so he didn't decide what happened until the day he wrote/drew the comic. Now, he can have something happen, but he doesn't have to decide what actually happened until he explains it later, so he can change his mind on a whim when the explanation comes up.

For instance, I'm convinced he completely changed his mind about the nature of the Ink Witch (and her ship) in the weeks/months after he introduced her and had the ship destroy Snout's house.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also, why does it need A. a dead body and B. a live person's life essence? Why not just get a live person, and therefore you've got both a body and life essence in one package?

This bugs me too, especially since it says the Siren Vines already control people to be their servants. So why do they need the clone body? Just control someone and plant seeds in them to fall off while they're walking, or grow and consume them from inside, or whatever. Making a clone body and then needing to get a second person to grant life to the clone body just seems convoluted and pointless when they're already capable of mind controlling living people.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What the hell font is that, it's not quite comic sans but it's very close

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

For instance, I'm convinced he completely changed his mind about the nature of the Ink Witch (and her ship) in the weeks/months after he introduced her and had the ship destroy Snout's house.

He absolutely did. Nothing about the events surrounding the ink witch in the early part make any sense in retrospect. I think Arudak also got some pretty massive retcons and even the bit with Redactor.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

oriongates posted:

He absolutely did. Nothing about the events surrounding the ink witch in the early part make any sense in retrospect. I think Arudak also got some pretty massive retcons and even the bit with Redactor.

still cannot loving believe the "villains" in this piece are bald guy and ~the Redactor~

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Whose name comes from the fact that she erased Snout's diary...for reasons.

And it never even mattered. Not a single bit of information was lost. That's not even insulting Snout, it's just a fact: when the witch and snout reunite she mentions they have all the information needed to re-write his notes. It was a completely pointless event.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

oriongates posted:

Whose name comes from the fact that she erased Snout's diary...for reasons.

And it never even mattered. Not a single bit of information was lost. That's not even insulting Snout, it's just a fact: when the witch and snout reunite she mentions they have all the information needed to re-write his notes. It was a completely pointless event.

This comic would still be very bad, but way less bad, if the author could commit to the idea that books are precious and can be lost. That way you have an actual ethos for Snout (a good library patron and lover of books) and why the villains are bad (they erase books, oh no!).

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Two Thief or not Two Thief? Part 5

In which Mookie wastes time with stupid jokes... A little more than usual.

I'm not even going to try and parse the logic here, given how utterly ineffectual urban Eddie has proven to be. Like seriously he's a joke, why is anyone afraid of him,

All I can say is that this is a man in his 20s who wrote this. Movies understanding of misogyny literally is schoolyard bullying. And all of this is tempered by the fact that my brain that's Stunt and bumper are literally at the bottom of the totem pole in a medieval society that has shown them as being explicitly homeless. Stunt is right, they don't get respect! It's not an excuse for being misogynistic, but I find it so weird that Mookie decided to try really hammer this point with characters who are literally shared on by society, who do have a legitimate grievance. Stunt's anger is misguided, but Mookie paints it as incorrect. I want to go back to diagnosing liberalism in Mookie's work, but here's a good exhibition of it. Stunt and Bumper choose to be poor, they choose to be thieves, and Stunt does so at least purely out of spite for women

Hur Hur Hur, gay jokes. There's that slur again. Again, as motivations go the desire to stop being a thief is not a bad arc for character have but when you really look at what is happened in this target makes no sense why bumper suddenly had this change of heart, that put them so at odds with the person that he was gleefully murdering people with not that long ago. Also, the return of the "cats like fish" jokes, like this was a comic from the 50s or something.

Turns out the Urban Eddie was a jock! We should have known! Only jocks could be that evil! Considering that he hasn't hidden his face I don't see how this is supposed to be game changing information. Also, I don't even know what to do with the whole prisoner abuse and torture scandal that Mookie has sort of blown over, in favour of saying that the criminals who escaped were the real bad guys. And the only thing I can keep thinking is that this story happened in 2006, a few months after the final trials of the Abu Ghraib prison guards wrapped up. This is probably me reading way too much into it, but again I just find it so weird that Mookie would use that as a side detail in a story about otherwise nefarious crooks.

Gross. Also I guess crystal balls work like cameras. That's a little weird since usually he can use his crystal ball to scry anything

This is the big plan that Luna thought up. Threaten prisoners with death? More or less torture them psychologically? Gotcha. Well, good to see Mookie approves of torture.

So I guess they remember him from when he was in jail during the war in hell, and… What exactly?

I had to go back and look and realized that this one-off joke:

is actually what Mookie is referencing here. This is another example of how Mookie has no sense of narrative. The way that that moment is presented in the comic especially given everything else that is happening around it, obviously means that it carries the weight of a joke, and that people aren't going to retain it. It is not something that you would bring up as a relevant detail to call back literally months later in your serial narrative. As much as Mookie fails to logically chained together event in his stories, he also fixates on details that other authors wouldn't. I think you're seeing this now with this weird obsession with how corpsewife's brain was mentally unstable. Like she's a reanimated body which for it with her all we know no memories of who she is, there's no reason anyone who was reading the comic would take her violent outburst as anything other than just perhaps a natural reaction to her situation. It was only snouts awful reaction to it that really made his so problematic and gross, and the fact that they were all naked. But Mookie has decided to fixate on that detail, so we keep getting explanation after explanation as to how she's mentally broken and only Snout could fix her. I don't think that's where he was going with this story a couple weeks ago, but now that it's in his brain he's not going to let it go.

Also more nonsense about how the town needs to save itself, despite the fact that Luna is going to be part of the story till the end.

I'm sure Mookie thought that this was a super clever thing, but it's incredibly stupid actually. Imagine if this was a resolution to actual crime drama, where they figured out where the criminal was hiding because he he insisted on making all of his plans conform to football strategies. Also Mookie has that humour of a toddler.

Okay so here's the moment in this whole arc that I actually wanted to dig into. This is Bumper's big confession, the sin he's been holding onto this whole time. It's the linchpin of his conversion, and really should be the thing that this is story arc is focused around.

But it gets glossed over instantly! Because Bumper is one of the good guys now. So here's the perverse thing about all this, even though this story was entirely about bumper feeling guilty about killing Amelia, it is not actually about killing Amelia that bumper feels guilty. It is purely about having done harm to a Deegan indirectly, and having lied about it. Luna absolves him of his guilt, even though he still took a human life which was apparently the step too far that drove him away from his friend, and now he's willing to joke about it. This is been character development. It's bad theming. It's just bad storytelling all around. Because it really does pull all of the narrative weight out of this entire arc, and reassert the purely black-and-white morality that Mookie always eventually comes back to. There's no need for atonement, there's no need to really examine his life in light of this guilt he is feeling, there is just moving on to become one of the good guys now. This is as bad as any of the other things that Mookie writes because it really the ultimate childishness of everything he comes up with, even as he is drawing big boobs women being choked to death or being stabbed.

See there it is, he's not coming back for his friend bumper is a good guy now.

Could even let this moment of pathos go without a terrible pun, could you Mookie. In a better comic this arc would also try to explore Stein's motivations, and his feelings about things. But really this panel is just about punishing stunts for being the bad thief in the pair.

Even though this was really the climax of the story is going to meander around for a little bit so buckle up for some terrible Quilt centred hijinks

Why does he need a warrant? Stop parroting things you've seen on cop shows Mookie. It's not like you showed Dex getting warrants for anyone else. But yes the golem is now Sherlock Holmes.

They just had tons of dynamite around. You'd think they could be a little more effective given how easy it is to get this destructive firepower everywhere.

He really is a Deegan! he's staring up through the fourth wall!

This is just a wet fart of a strip. Wordy and pointless, and doesn't do anything to advance the plot or be funny.

Why did they have to let bumper go, didn't he agree to help them? Why don't they just keep him protected? Apparently, this is the conversation where Luna let's Dex in on everything she talked with bumper about. Which is so weird because you'd think that that was one of those things that could have been taking care of offscreen. Also mild kudos to Mookie for I guess reminding people about the magic resistance gem that he introduced in Dominic's monologue previously, but it would hold more weight in people's brain if we had actually seen the gem in action, or had it mentioned while it was onscreen, or if it had been more than a tiny innocuous detail of Eddie's character design.

E: Zerilan just made me realize I skipped a strip when copying the links. This one is technically the first strip of the next part, but leaving it here. But yeah, hur hur it's a bad word that rhymes with stunt, oh man Mookie you sure got around those non-existant censors. As Zerilan said, please be prepared for this joke to come up more with Quilt. Alsways with women if I remember correctly.

We're in the homestretch now, friends.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 18, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I really want to pretend that last strip just doesn't exist but instead I will point out that that same awful "joke" comes up multiple times and forms a major chunk of Quilt's subsequent appearances.

also there's really only like, 2 kind of linked things that I remembered about this arc and 1 of them's happened already but not the other so I'll save my main comment on the arc until then. Holy poo poo this whole thing was so much dumber than I remembered though

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm only just processing this but what the gently caress kind of gangster name is Urban Eddie

EDIT: Corn Pop is a more believable name

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Beelzebufo posted:

E: Zerilan just made me realize I skipped a strip when copying the links. This one is technically the first strip of the next part, but leaving it here. But yeah, hur hur it's a bad word that rhymes with stunt, oh man Mookie you sure got around those non-existant censors. As Zerilan said, please be prepared for this joke to come up more with Quilt. Alsways with women if I remember correctly.

We're in the homestretch now, friends.

jfc

Do you think you have to put effort into being this unfunny?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Joe Slowboat posted:

This comic would still be very bad, but way less bad, if the author could commit to the idea that books are precious and can be lost. That way you have an actual ethos for Snout (a good library patron and lover of books) and why the villains are bad (they erase books, oh no!).

That would require the ability to commit to any idea, which seems to be practically impossible for this comic. Anticlimax is an understatement, this comic takes plots behind the shed and Old Yeller's them almost as soon as they're introduced.

Ink Witch's injuries and the identity of the ship's controller? Turns out she just got hurt in some unspecified, unimportant way which will never be addressed again. The ship works automatically in some unspecified, unimportant way, which will never be addressed again.

The importance of the pages snout is collecting? They contain minimal information that everyone else involved already knows. The pages will barely be mentioned again.

Ink witches deception and the threat arudak supposedly represents? Neither amounts to anything, both turn out to have almost identical personalities and goals and the conflict between them is defused with a stern look. Neither issue will be mentioned again.

The sudden appearance of Redactor and Mhorg? Surely this is important, they apparently kidnap snout's companions and erase what he's learned so far, forcing him to start over from nothing. Nope, no meaningful information was lost, snout's companions are unharmed and were apparently never in danger. The circumstances of their disappearance are never addressed again.

A strange, dangerous new companion with dark, mysterious origins. It's just caused by a weird plant and any issues created are solved by a weird plant, using a weird plant. It's too soon to say, but likely this will never be mentioned again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fister Roboto posted:

jfc

Do you think you have to put effort into being this unfunny?

I can't help but think of the text re. Major Major Major Major and mediocrity when reading this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

"I didn't know Urban Eddie had gotten so sadistic!" says the guy who earlier mentioned that Urban Eddie is the guy who taught him how to slit throats.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm only just processing this but what the gently caress kind of gangster name is Urban Eddie

It's such a loving mookie name lol.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Crimes Johnson

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Maxwell Lord posted:

In an old youtube video, Mookie explained he heard someone named Urbanetti once in the past and misheard it as "Urban Eddie" despite being Italian himself, so when he needed a name for this one-off bad guy, that's what he called him.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Two Thief or not Two Thief is the most aggravatingly stupid title conceivable and just thinking about how clever Mookie thought he was when coming up with that drek spew bile.

This is a person who presents convention panels on good writing. Webcomics truly are the lowest form of art.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oriongates posted:

Ink Witch's injuries and the identity of the ship's controller? Turns out she just got hurt in some unspecified, unimportant way which will never be addressed again.

I'm pretty sure now that was always supposed to be ink and not blood, but it was just very badly conveyed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm pretty sure now that was always supposed to be ink and not blood, but it was just very badly conveyed.

It was probably meant as a misdirection ("what if the wild edge's effects on ink magic make ink splatters all over that look like blood?") but I'll still give it a 50/50 on whether that was the plan page 1 or if mookie changed it to be that upon realising he wanted his protagonist to be too much of a noble savage to know how to perform real first aid/medicine.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

In an old youtube video, Mookie explained he heard someone named Urbanetti once in the past and misheard it as "Urban Eddie" despite being Italian himself, so when he needed a name for this one-off bad guy, that's what he called him.

Uuuuuughhhhh... And I thought that guy who went around calling himself Salads instead of Saladino was bad.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's likely true, but she was still clearly badly injured or disabled in some unspecified way, given that she was barely able to move or stay conscious.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

True. I was assuming it was caused by some kind of wild edge-related magical accident, but it never causes anything like that again, so...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Speaking of names, while Mookie's always been terrible at naming things it really feels like he's gotten lazier with it in the Legacy. Urban Eddie and his goons have goofy faux-Italian sounding names but they at least follow the same theme of...Italian sounding, and they feel like he thought about them. Meanwhile in Legacy you've got...

An ink witch -> Ink Witch :geno:
Guy with a snout -> Snout :geno:
Guy who's a sunflower -> Sunflower :geno:
Black guy -> Thelonius Monk...

The orcs are closer to classic Mookie since he's stuck throwing in random X's and V's, but personally I couldn't read the new guys' names without immediately realizing it's just Dexter and Seth.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

True. I was assuming it was caused by some kind of wild edge-related magical accident, but it never causes anything like that again, so...

And she never shows any caution or concern about the effects of the wild edge in future strips. It's all just messy ink explosions and 'accidental' dream sharing. Even her ship crashing is ultimately harmless.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
God, there's a whole lot of dumb and bad in there. I kinda like the line "You really think a court of law would've strangled her with her own jewelry?" because it feels like something that, in a better comic, could have been a bit of slightly dark levity in an otherwise serious scene, but every single serious scene ends with a pun or a "joke" anyways so...

Also the "ooh, I didn't say a bad word but I keep on hammering home that this word sounds like a bad word" shtick is very tiring. Yes, Mookie, we get it. Maybe the "joke" would hold up better if you weren't having characters drop slurs all over the shop.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The more he explains the less interesting it is

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This poo poo sucks

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

amazing how he can do this for 20 years and actually get worse

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The puke panel is still entertaining to my inner 12 year old, but I'm not reading any of that.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Oh my, having snout's super-strong, potentially violent companion suddenly transported to a land whose very essence is repulsive and poisonous to her sounds like the sort of thing that could be an actual plot. Especially if it drives her to attack one of the allies of Snout's friends, potentially forcing him to face issues of conflicted loyalty.

Oh...that was resolved in a matter of two pages? In a way that had no consequence or meaning? Shocking.

Well, at least the idea of a whole new lineage of magic users native to the Wild Edge, a place inherently hostile to other magic users, sounds like it might be a worthwhile plotline. Mongrelmen are clearly disrespected, but the idea that they might be coming into their own as a new magical power has a lot of potential for plot.

Oh...that guy never had a name and died 50 pages ago? And the characters have already left the wild edge and show no inclination of ever returning? How unfortunate.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The puke panel is one of the funniest things I've ever seen drawn in a "serious' context. How could he draw that and not realize how loving goofy that poo poo looks, and if he did mean it to look goofy way to purposefully gently caress up the tone of your body horror monster

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bad fantasy writing. You don't just introduced extremely specific magical things without explaining a little first. What is the "Essence of Maltak" and why do undead "aberrations" hate it? Why is she defined as an abberation, and what other things fall under that category? How do they even know all this if siren vines are native to the wild edge, which doesn't appear to be anywhere near Maltak?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Again, type is used instead of handwriting. And I reckon it's because if he handwrote it, it would be too big to write everything he feels needs to be on the page.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The idea that corpsemom will potentially and unwillingly become a force of nature that will destroy the land almost would be interesting if it wasn't for the fact that she's now a protagonist and they'll find some way to magically cure her long before she could cause any sort of conflict.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's a chandack again?

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

RandomPauI posted:

What's a chandack again?

nothin, whats a chandack with you?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

RandomPauI posted:

What's a chandack again?

Mookie's Orc Shaman from WOW.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
A chandak is an orcish social caste analogous to a shaman. They commune with nature and have some degree of control/empathy with the land to learn when rain or drought is coming and can communicate with plants and grasses, do rain dances to summon storms, etc. I think Grench is/was one and does a chandak chant when playing with Facebath. There is unsurprisingly very little detail about them in Deegan classic, but they are mentioned briefly much later on when the comic focuses on the orcs again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Beelzebufo posted:

Bad fantasy writing. You don't just introduced extremely specific magical things without explaining a little first. What is the "Essence of Maltak" and why do undead "aberrations" hate it? Why is she defined as an abberation, and what other things fall under that category? How do they even know all this if siren vines are native to the wild edge, which doesn't appear to be anywhere near Maltak?

IIRC, Luna empowered the very land of Maltak itself with life magic to cure it of it’s curse (at the cost of her childbearing :rolleyes:), so it kind of stands to reason that undead would at least get riled up by a place abundant in their magical antithesis.