Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought we were doing a thing about how media called Drop Dead... / Drop the Dead ...had aged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ReidRansom posted:

And TBH lobster isn't so so great I feel like that's just marketing hype. Shrimp too. Crab tho, that's pretty good

The only way to eat crab is next to your uncle's boathouse where he cooked them right after getting back to shore, and you use the rocks lying around to crack the shells, and throw the scraps to the birds as you eat.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Groke posted:

The only way to eat crab is next to your uncle's boathouse where he cooked them right after getting back to shore, and you use the rocks lying around to crack the shells, and throw the scraps to the birds as you eat.

I think you mean on the beach next to the pier where you just caught them using $1.70 worth of turkey necks and twine???

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Volcott posted:

The cranberries are good though.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply they weren't :shobon: The quote itself is just very dated

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply they weren't :shobon: The quote itself is just very dated

I would excuse someone from class for this reason in 2021. :rip: Dolores

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Captain Monkey posted:

I think you mean on the beach next to the pier where you just caught them using $1.70 worth of turkey necks and twine???

Yeah, if you want to eat the ones who live around the harbor instead of ones caught in cleaner waters, sure.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Groke posted:

Yeah, if you want to eat the ones who live around the harbor instead of ones caught in cleaner waters, sure.

It's a trash eating bottom feeder, a couple of miles doesn't make much difference. (turn on your monitor, etc.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I do love that movie for the palpable romcom chemistry between Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger (RIP), also honestly most of the casting and soundtrack is pretty good. The whole thing with 90s teen comedies involving bets and dating is really weird, I remember She's All That had a similar thing going. The Taming of the Shrew in general is just a really gross plot that didn't age well, Brows Held High did a video on 10 Things a while back comparing the two that I thought was pretty good (especially at outlining the more problematic bits of the source material):

I took a class on Shakespeare and adaptations of it at university, and one of the few things I remember is that Taming of the Shrew is so weirdly sexist even for Shakespeare (who wasn't great with female characters, but usually better than that) that there's legitimate theory that maybe it was just extremely sarcastic, similar to the theory that Romeo and Juliet might've been intended as a comedy about lovely teens that we've been accidentally reading seriously.

Even if it was written as just horribly sexist, sarcastic readings on it have been at least as old as film itself. The thing that makes 10 Things notable is probably that it actually tried to tell it straight, and in the modern day. A lot of the fact it succeeded at that probably comes down to the father character; the fact they can paint the weirdest, worst parts of the concept as because of this one weird old-fashioned guy rather than something more societal lets them get away with it a lot more.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

On that note, (I was reminded by that last post and by a podcast I was listening to) the Fu Manchu stories have aged poorly.

They were always staggeringly racist, but they are SO poorly written and the main 'heros' are SO dumb that at times they read as if they are supposed to be a parody of racist pulp.

But no, it is just flat-out racist pulp.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Samovar posted:

On that note, (I was reminded by that last post and by a podcast I was listening to) the Fu Manchu stories have aged poorly.

They were always staggeringly racist, but they are SO poorly written and the main 'heros' are SO dumb that at times they read as if they are supposed to be a parody of racist pulp.

Fu manchu the band have aged pretty well though. I hope.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fu Manchu moustache continues to own.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I do love that movie for the palpable romcom chemistry between Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger (RIP), also honestly most of the casting and soundtrack is pretty good. The whole thing with 90s teen comedies involving bets and dating is really weird, I remember She's All That had a similar thing going.

She's All That is a loose adaptation of George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion. That was written in 1913, so it's hardly just a 90s teen comedy thing. It's more that people saw the success of Clueless and wanted to cash in by making their own teen version of famous literature.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

They were always staggeringly racist, but they are SO poorly written and the main 'heroes' are SO dumb that at times they read as if they are supposed to be a parody of racist pulp.

Fu Manchu is racist on levels that even sticks out at the time, it's quite surprising. There's literally a white Jewish character described as having "shrugged his shoulders in a fashion incongruous in one of his complexion, though characteristic in one of his name." which is quite literally only a few words from just flat out saying "he shrugged Jewishly" and this applies to every character regardless of where they're from. I expected the anti-asian racism, the anti-semitism and racism against basically everyone else was surprising to me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Don Gato posted:

Fu Manchu is racist on levels that even sticks out at the time, it's quite surprising. There's literally a white Jewish character described as having "shrugged his shoulders in a fashion incongruous in one of his complexion, though characteristic in one of his name." which is quite literally only a few words from just flat out saying "he shrugged Jewishly" and this applies to every character regardless of where they're from. I expected the anti-asian racism, the anti-semitism and racism against basically everyone else was surprising to me.

Well, Sax Rohmer was British...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Samovar posted:

Given how thoroughly awful the protagonists of The Mask Of Fu Manchu are, basically any modern watcher will (correctly) consider Fu Manchu the good guy.

For instance, Fu Manchu asks why the british guys are taking historical artifacts, and they respond

"Oh, our English people like to look at them on holidays."

And the punchline of the film is them congratulating a Chinese waiter on being uneducated.

I am just waiting for someone to have the balls to remake it with Fu Manchu explicitly being the hero. They wouldn't need to change much.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
In 1939's The Drums of Fu-Manchu, his evil plot is... to assassinate thinly disguised versions of Mussolini and Hitler, and overthrow their regimes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

From Sax Rohmer's wikipedia page:

quote:

Rohmer's work was banned in Nazi Germany, causing Rohmer to complain that he could not understand such censorship, stating "my stories are not inimical to Nazi ideals".

:yikes:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't read those books since I was a kid, but remember my take away being that there was not enough of Fu Manchu, and way too much of the lame detectives. Not to say I was up on the horrible racism in the mid to late 90s, because I definitely wasn't, but it was a case of the villain being way cooler and more interesting than the protagonist to thirteen year old me.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Cleretic posted:

I took a class on Shakespeare and adaptations of it at university, and one of the few things I remember is that Taming of the Shrew is so weirdly sexist even for Shakespeare (who wasn't great with female characters, but usually better than that) that there's legitimate theory that maybe it was just extremely sarcastic, similar to the theory that Romeo and Juliet might've been intended as a comedy about lovely teens that we've been accidentally reading seriously.

I'm not familiar with Taming of the Shrew, other than recognizing the name. I had always assumed "shrew" referred to the animal.

Wikipedia posted:

The main plot depicts the courtship of Petruchio and Katherina, the headstrong, obdurate shrew. Initially, Katherina is an unwilling participant in the relationship; however, Petruchio "tames" her with various psychological torments, such as keeping her from eating and drinking, until she becomes a desirable, compliant, and obedient bride.

That sounds terrible.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

jjack229 posted:

I'm not familiar with Taming of the Shrew, other than recognizing the name. I had always assumed "shrew" referred to the animal.

Were you imagining someone at the Globe dressing up as a shrew? Or just people standing around with whips thwacking something too small for the audience to see?

Both sound amazing tbh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best joke in 10 Things I Hate About You is that one of the cliques at the school is The Cowboys in a bunch of scenes there's just some random extras in the background doing cowboy stuff like lasso tricks and it's barely commented upon by anyone.

10/10 cinematic masterpiece

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jjack229 posted:

That sounds terrible.

It is terrible. It's also not what happens in 10 Things.

To get back on the topic of media that didn't age well, however vaguely: 10 Things also has a pre-West Wing Alison Janney as the school counsellor who spends all her time on the job writing erotica. It's no wonder nobody notices anything else unusual that is going on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Unkempt posted:

Or just people standing around with whips thwacking something too small for the audience to see?

In high school we had a field trip to a local production of Taming of the Shrew but all the actors were hot 20-somethings done up as bikers in vinyl and leather. poo poo was wild.

Toshimo has a new favorite as of 14:00 on May 18, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Similar to the Fu Manchu stories, I just went through the Lensman series, which ran from 37 to 54.

Hoo-boy, so much aged really badly (including the writing style). Virtually all the heroes are upright, white Americans, but there are some stereotypical foreigners, like von Hohendorff who is the model of a Prussian, missing only a monocle.

The dialog from what are supposed to be the most powerful, intelligent beings in the universe come across as teenagers, with lots of golly gee I could never have the jets to swing that! Calling the characterizations wooden would be an insult to trees. Zero depth or complexity to even the best minds. There's a fair amount of near homoerotic descriptions of the masculinity of the heroes and how they were really MEN, MANLY MEN!

There are a few glimpses of broadening, like the occasional realization that some minds can be different but still equal, but they're mostly used for special tasks and still don't equal the WASPy Kinnisons.

The last book gets a little weird, as the five children still talk like comic book teenagers but are supposed to be the most mentally powerful beings ever to exist. On top of that, there's a strong hint of an incestuous nature, in that nobody could possibly match up to mom and dad in their eyes, except maybe each other.

It's a fun, if goofy read, and there is so much cringe worthy material there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

Similar to the Fu Manchu stories, I just went through the Lensman series, which ran from 37 to 54.

Hoo-boy, so much aged really badly (including the writing style). Virtually all the heroes are upright, white Americans, but there are some stereotypical foreigners, like von Hohendorff who is the model of a Prussian, missing only a monocle.

The dialog from what are supposed to be the most powerful, intelligent beings in the universe come across as teenagers, with lots of golly gee I could never have the jets to swing that! Calling the characterizations wooden would be an insult to trees. Zero depth or complexity to even the best minds. There's a fair amount of near homoerotic descriptions of the masculinity of the heroes and how they were really MEN, MANLY MEN!

There are a few glimpses of broadening, like the occasional realization that some minds can be different but still equal, but they're mostly used for special tasks and still don't equal the WASPy Kinnisons.

The last book gets a little weird, as the five children still talk like comic book teenagers but are supposed to be the most mentally powerful beings ever to exist. On top of that, there's a strong hint of an incestuous nature, in that nobody could possibly match up to mom and dad in their eyes, except maybe each other.

It's a fun, if goofy read, and there is so much cringe worthy material there.

Lensman is worth reading just for the ridiculous arms race that puts even Honor Harrington to shame. It culminates with mass drivers that use planets as ammunition in a game of interstellar ping-pong. It's even more Mary-Sueish than the Family d'Alembert series, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best joke in 10 Things I Hate About You is that one of the cliques at the school is The Cowboys in a bunch of scenes there's just some random extras in the background doing cowboy stuff like lasso tricks and it's barely commented upon by anyone.

Tell me you didn't go to high school in Texas without telling me you didn't go to high school in Texas.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I’m just going to say it, but Titus Andronicus. You probably couldn’t play it as a straight tragedy, it’s just too much.

I did see it performed once as a black comedy and that worked out pretty well for the most part, although obviously what happens to Lavinia doesn’t really lend itself to that

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

christmas boots posted:

I’m just going to say it, but Titus Andronicus. You probably couldn’t play it as a straight tragedy, it’s just too much.

I did see it performed once as a black comedy and that worked out pretty well for the most part, although obviously what happens to Lavinia doesn’t really lend itself to that
My favorite production ever was at a small theater in Hollywood where one of the parts was played by White Power Bill.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Tell me you didn't go to high school in Texas without telling me you didn't go to high school in Texas.

It's a movie set in Seattle.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I once saw a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream where all of the scenery (all of it!) was beds.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
The video I linked on 10 Things does briefly mention the cowboy thing as being another one of those weird 90s high school fads

Thinking about the OG play itself though I am reminded one of my older siblings performed in a rendition of it back in middle school. Like of all Shakespeare plays to have a bunch of preteens run through that seems like an odd choice

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casnorf posted:

I once saw a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream where all of the scenery (all of it!) was beds.

Hmm, I feel like I did too. Ontario's Stratford Festival?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Arivia posted:

Hmm, I feel like I did too. Ontario's Stratford Festival?

In Philly, waaay back in the day. Like 1997.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

christmas boots posted:

Have you watched Titus with Anthony Hopkins? I felt that did a good job with it, leaning into the weirdness. The whole pie sequence was done rather well; an odd detail, but the pie prop itself is wonderfully disgusting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Elissimpark posted:

Have you watched Titus with Anthony Hopkins? I felt that did a good job with it, leaning into the weirdness. The whole pie sequence was done rather well; an odd detail, but the pie prop itself is wonderfully disgusting.

No, but I'll give it a watch. Hopkins could definitely pull it off so I'm happy to give it a try.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FreudianSlippers posted:

That one skipped right by me for years because, as an 8th grader in Montana, my former rodeo queen gym teacher put us through a rodeo unit. So that clique was not out of the ordinary until a few years later, when I started paying more attention to settings in movies, and had to figure out why that sort of crowd would be in suburban Seattle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jedit posted:

Lensman is worth reading just for the ridiculous arms race that puts even Honor Harrington to shame. It culminates with mass drivers that use planets as ammunition in a game of interstellar ping-pong. It's even more Mary-Sueish than the Family d'Alembert series, though.

I named a trope page for sci-fi stories that basically have Dragon Ball levels of escalation. (actually a pretty common thing with anime, mecha stuff in particular)

christmas boots posted:

No, but I'll give it a watch. Hopkins could definitely pull it off so I'm happy to give it a try.

It's extremely surreal to the point where I'd find it believable to take place in the Warhammer 40k universe, but probably one of the best ways to do it. Been said that it's basically more grindhouse than anything, as The Reduced Shakespeare Company put it, "Shakespeare as a young writer seems to have gone through a brief Quentin Tarantino phase."

Apparently it wasn't too popular in its time either, though there's some argument over whether the mix of black comedy and tragedy was just going along with trends, or a parody of stuff like Marlowe. Note that Titus dressing like a chef at the end is explicit in the dialogue and stage directions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The idea of high school cliques was a big thing in the 90s to the point of parody even before you got stuff explicitly parodying it. Fillmore comes to mind where X High School has every imaginable clique and club somewhere. (partly for the joke that it basically functions as a microcosm of society. Taking literally the theme of Heathers?)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Julie Taymor's Titus is a masterpiece and still probably my favorite film adaptation of a Shakespeare play. Beautiful visuals, incredible cast, supremely violent and darkly funny all at the same time. The way any good Shakespeare tragedy should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I named a trope page for sci-fi stories that basically have Dragon Ball levels of escalation. (actually a pretty common thing with anime, mecha stuff in particular)

It's extremely surreal to the point where I'd find it believable to take place in the Warhammer 40k universe, but probably one of the best ways to do it. Been said that it's basically more grindhouse than anything, as The Reduced Shakespeare Company put it, "Shakespeare as a young writer seems to have gone through a brief Quentin Tarantino phase."

Apparently it wasn't too popular in its time either, though there's some argument over whether the mix of black comedy and tragedy was just going along with trends, or a parody of stuff like Marlowe. Note that Titus dressing like a chef at the end is explicit in the dialogue and stage directions.

Really? I'd always read that it had actually been very popular at the time. But it had gradually fallen out of fashion over the next few centuries until, by the time of the 17th century, it was seen as old-fashioned and excessively violent.