Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

like iunno when i think about how blue reflection handles a child abuse backstory ep (mostly showing her reactions and mental state, the scenes where you see actual abuse taking place or get anything from her mother probably amount to a minute and a half, tops) versus how say, wonder egg handles it (constant flashbacks to the moments something bad happened, a giant wacky inflatable tube monster that loudly yells about how beating children is good and also they're a pedophile and let me tell you more about this), one is vastly better handled than the other.

Plus, Wonder Egg’s big dumb monsters were only representations of whatever caused the victim’s trauma, like Persona 4/5 bosses but without the real-world consequences for defeating them, so the actual perpetrators never got confronted let alone punished. Makes the whole thing feel kinda hollow. Blue reflection's conflicts so far are all humans vs. other humans.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I haven’t watched zls cuz like idk I find it hard to watch shows that are obviously good. Ain’t seen it or dyza or nomad. Maybe it’s like... saving for a rainy day? Like I still haven’t watched the second half of snafu s3 cuz once ya do... that’s it it’s over.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

kater posted:

I haven’t watched zls cuz like idk I find it hard to watch shows that are obviously good. Ain’t seen it or dyza or nomad. Maybe it’s like... saving for a rainy day? Like I still haven’t watched the second half of snafu s3 cuz once ya do... that’s it it’s over.
gently caress me I have this same problem too

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kater posted:

For me personally, it can be a stop and go issue, where i want to binge an entire work at once, and having to wait a week just kills the momentum if the show for me.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mushoku Tensei (S1-2) has been delayed to Fall 2021, in a decision by Studio Bind to release a finished project rather than a rushed job. Part 1 will instead be re-airing on TV this summer.

(Official Visual)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

i wouldnt really call it 'dark bad edgy,' this most recent episode was written with way more empathy and compassion than a ton of similar shows. if anything id say it explicitly avoids the trap stuff like wonder egg falls into. like it managed to get through an entire episode about compensated dating and prostitution without ever once going 'now, child prostitution is a very serious issue plaguing society, but also, AYY, LADS?' like a lot of stuff would. granted im not sure the show's art quality could achieve the herculean task of sexualization, but still.

like iunno when i think about how blue reflection handles a child abuse backstory ep (mostly showing her reactions and mental state, the scenes where you see actual abuse taking place or get anything from her mother probably amount to a minute and a half, tops) versus how say, wonder egg handles it (constant flashbacks to the moments something bad happened, a giant wacky inflatable tube monster that loudly yells about how beating children is good and also they're a pedophile and let me tell you more about this), one is vastly better handled than the other.

the way i would describe it is that while blue reflection feels the need to depict this stuff, it takes no real pleasure in doing so, versus something like wegg or similar 'dark edgy magical girl shows' like mahou shoujo site, where... im not saying those shows think child abuse is good, or anything, but they're clearly getting a kind of transgressive thrill out of depicting it.

In fairness, this is also a show where one of the main villains so far is a cartoon sadomasochist who spends about half of her lines on making sex noises at inopportune moments.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i managed to avoid the talk of big good shows turning me away from them by just starting them and not looking at the responses much. but the history of anime is definitely littered with others that weren't so fortunate...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just get a retail job at an understaffed store, then you won't have the time to watch ANY anime! :shepface:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

In fairness, this is also a show where one of the main villains so far is a cartoon sadomasochist who spends about half of her lines on making sex noises at inopportune moments.
yea but uta is an actual character who the series seems interested in exploring on some level and has displayed emotions besides that, she isnt just some wacky monster of the week or anything

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kater posted:

what if i told you both zls and snafu s3 are bad

kater
Nov 16, 2010

well then i'd watch them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the real trick is to not watch anything while loudly complaining that all of it is bad.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the real trick is to not watch anything while loudly complaining that all of it is bad.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that said k-on really is bad,

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

marumaru posted:

motherfucker...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

Plus, Wonder Egg’s big dumb monsters were only representations of whatever caused the victim’s trauma, like Persona 4/5 bosses but without the real-world consequences for defeating them, so the actual perpetrators never got confronted let alone punished. Makes the whole thing feel kinda hollow. Blue reflection's conflicts so far are all humans vs. other humans.

The perpetrators weren't really the point of it, though I do agree in that regard, learning about the girls they "save" and the ones who drove them to suicide was more about the protagonists learning to deal with their own personal traumas and process them better.

It is working to a purpose, just not one that holds up if you ask legitimate questions outside its scope.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

marumaru posted:

You are not walking out of this convo without some serious decking, buddy. :toughguy:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Does k-on get better after episode 3?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i fell off wonder egg after a few eps cause some of its writing choices started to weird me out but tbh the thing that makes me most bitter about the writer is still how he wrote a trans manga where the trans character is really interesting and funny and her girlfriend is great, and both of them get much much much less to do than a guy who shouts about how trans rights are like the iraq war and how your journey into trans self-fulfillment isn't complete until you stop using masculine self-pronouns (that are not actually exclusive to men and are sometimes used by women)

i'm not sure how that guy can bounce so hard so fast between really good casual banter and really awful poorly understood approaches to serious personal themes

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

I tried to watch ZLS, but I can't get over the Producer.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Xelkelvos posted:

I tried to watch ZLS, but I can't get over the Producer.

If it makes you feel better, none of the girls (especially Ai and Saki) tolerate his bullshit - even Junko is starting to get sick of his poo poo

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

CrazySalamander posted:

Does k-on get better after episode 3?
I found that k-on is a show that gradually gets better, with a particularly significant leap for season 2. If you outlight dislike the first 3 eps idk if it'll ever change your mind though, it mostly just refines itself and adds an occasional dash of p good character drama

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

The Colonel posted:

i fell off wonder egg after a few eps cause some of its writing choices started to weird me out but tbh the thing that makes me most bitter about the writer is still how he wrote a trans manga where the trans character is really interesting and funny and her girlfriend is great, and both of them get much much much less to do than a guy who shouts about how trans rights are like the iraq war and how your journey into trans self-fulfillment isn't complete until you stop using masculine self-pronouns (that are not actually exclusive to men and are sometimes used by women)

i'm not sure how that guy can bounce so hard so fast between really good casual banter and really awful poorly understood approaches to serious personal themes

that manga was so deeply confused even by like, "cishet author makes a manga about a trans character because its a social issue they heard about but they don't quite get" standards (which there's a surprising amount of somehow) and then how wonder egg ended up was maybe even weirder

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would rate sunu sumu muriku above some other instances of that i've seen in media if only because there are bits in it where the trans girl actually gets okay writing and is allowed to have a personality and be interesting and funny, but it's also very illuminating as to the writer's mindset and approach to stuff because man it will just slide into extreme poo poo in the clumsiest way possible and whenever anyone other than the trans girl or her girlfriend are the ones talking the story instantly gets much much much stupider. will never get over how it introduces a flirty bi lady and instantly starts comparing bisexuality to being trans

granted there are a couple bits in the story where the terrible english tl obviously makes stuff come off a bit worse than it should but. even still in bits like the whole "YOU HAVE TO SAY WATASHI... YOU CAN'T USE BOKU ANYMORE... USE WATASHI!!!" climax it mostly just makes that one slightly more confusing because watashi is more gender neutral and the actual intended reading there is atashi lol, without that clunky tl it's still an insane and unbelievably poorly written scene

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 19, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The perpetrators weren't really the point of it, though I do agree in that regard, learning about the girls they "save" and the ones who drove them to suicide was more about the protagonists learning to deal with their own personal traumas and process them better.

It is working to a purpose, just not one that holds up if you ask legitimate questions outside its scope.
There's also a larger issue of like, the monsters aren't the point, but... they dominate the screentime? They're giant monsters that spend half the episode yelling about their baggage. They get to explain themselves, justify themselves, etc. They are treated as big deals. Obviously this is because the show wants weird cool monster fights, but if you compare how much you get from, say, Momoe's trans friend to the coach that assaulted him, they're about equal. Blue Reflection gives Niina's mom like seven lines and never shows her face.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Super Cub" continues to be a delightful little Honda commercial. This time with espresso!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Honda ZLS

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Cub the secret AOTS

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lots of good shows airing and among them i probably like mermaid ojou precure the most so far, although it had a head start

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Doodles posted:

"Super Cub" continues to be a delightful little Honda commercial. This time with espresso!

On the other hand, towing a hardcart with a Hunter Cub by lashing the cart handle to the Cub's cargo rack with rope seems all kinds of unsafe and on the open road no less. I don't know if those carts were ever intended to travel at 30 kph (18.6 mph) though upon retrospect that's basically fast bicycle speeds so it might be fine if the cart was using bicycle wheels, tires, and bearings. Fixing the cart to the Cub with rope definitely doesn't look safe especially as tightly as she did it because it doesn't look like it'll let you safely lean into turns.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super Cub is good and this and it and Laid Back Camp make want to look at a cub/Scooter

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Doodles posted:

I enjoy how the show is starting to mock its "commercial" aspect via Reiko, who will not shut up about how awesome things you can buy are. And Koguma simply ignoring her is hilarious. (And also stopping Reiko from buying what she doesn't need.)

Also, Super Cub is not yuri, but I will make an exception for that scene by the lockers.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SeanGaffney posted:

I enjoy how the show is starting to mock its "commercial" aspect via Reiko, who will not shut up about how awesome things you can buy are. And Koguma simply ignoring her is hilarious. (And also stopping Reiko from buying what she doesn't need.)

Also, Super Cub is not yuri, but I will make an exception for that scene by the lockers.
That sounds like fun! Maybe I should give it a watch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

.... I should buy one new

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

.... I should buy one new

But maybe you'd like the kind of trouble that comes with an old one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

chiasaur11 posted:

But maybe you'd like the kind of trouble that comes with an old one.

Honda only gets a cut if you buy new

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"I'm not moe! I'm not moe! i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a super cub"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Childhood Friend Won't Lose was made by martians. It is mesmerizing how bad this is. It's the cell phone isekai of... I don't know what genre this is because it isn't RomCom, it has neither.