Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Flying Zamboni posted:

I don't like The West Wind and it's easy to see the way the political stuff in it reflects current day problems in the democratic party but I agree that it's not responsible for it. It's a show influenced by stuff that was already and has remained a problem.

I think a lot of the Chapo/leftist podcast methods of media criticism revolves around watching something they don't like and then basing all criticism around the kind of guy they imagine would like it. This leads to a lot of stuff that is borderline incoherent as criticism as it only allows so much engagement with the material itself before your talking about why This Is Us is a key component of the opioid crisis.

I think it's clear The West Wing is a echo chamber scenario where then 90s liberals influenced the show, the show amplified their worst traits, and the next gen of liberals learned from those traits. Obama admin members straight up discuss taking inspiration from the show or treating their jobs in the actual White House as being like the TV show, and clearly from their actions they misunderstood the nature of power and politics especially when confronted with McConnell's GOP and the Tea Party.

I think you're right about the Chapo method of media criticism but in the case of The West Wing there's evidence in the form of actual memoirs and statements by Obama staff members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

I think it's clear The West Wing is a echo chamber scenario where then 90s liberals influenced the show, the show amplified their worst traits, and the next gen of liberals learned from those traits. Obama admin members straight up discuss taking inspiration from the show or treating their jobs in the actual White House as being like the TV show, and clearly from their actions they misunderstood the nature of power and politics especially when confronted with McConnell's GOP and the Tea Party.

Culture is recursive. There's almost never a clear case of media influencing reality or vice versa, it's typically a feedback loop between the two.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Culture is recursive. There's almost never a clear case of media influencing reality or vice versa, it's typically a feedback loop between the two.

Sure but it's inarguable that the Obama administration would've been much more effective if they had consciously seen their roles as akin to characters on Sons of Anarchy instead of The West Wing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It seems weird to prescribe the influence to a TV show and not their day to day lives, the other shows they watch, the books they read, the people they surround themselves with. Like whichever Republican it was that would argue in favour of torture because of 24. 24 didn't make him think that way, he just liked 24 because it showed him something that he already thought and he was able to point at a very popular TV show and say see, it can be done for good.

Not to mention that whatever ideological wisdom the show imparted on people would have been obliterated after no time at all in politics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it’s wrong to way West Wing influenced the politicians themselves (although I think TrixRabbi is right on the money personally), but it’s certainly influenced regular people into thinking that it’s what left-wing politics should be. Thinking that having the moral high ground is far more important than anything else and that grandstanding is hugely effective.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

me and a friend were talking about Sorkin the other day and we were trying to figure out why he reuses that "and I'm never sick at sea" line over and over again and where he got it from, and I realized it's because he's a big Gilbert & Sullivan nerd and that's a line from the HMS Pinafore lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The West Wing sucks but I don't see why everyone's so mad about the influence it had on politics when we have garbage right wing shows like 24 out there writing legal decisions by proxy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not really mad about it. I enjoy Sorkin’s writing on a surface-level, like it’s just fluff to me. I even rewatched Studio 60 last year for some godforsaken reason

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not really mad about it. I enjoy Sorkin’s writing on a surface-level, like it’s just fluff to me. I even rewatched Studio 60 last year for some godforsaken reason

Matthew Perry deserved better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DrVenkman posted:

Turns out the show was rigged from the start

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DrVenkman posted:

Did he?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I watched Shane last night because it's leaving Criterion's streaming service at the end of the month. Holy moly I hate that stupid kid so much. I very much enjoyed Palance making GBS threads on the confederates, and just generally he was great. Other thoughts... first two thirds of the movie was gorgeous because Technicolor, last act was just dark as hell and much less pretty. It was good, but I was a bit disappointed overall. I hoped for more than I got.

Other westerns that are leaving the site at the end of the month that I need to watch - The Wild Bunch, Sergeant Rutledge, and Buck and the Preacher.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I watched the John Carpenter written western El Diablo last night. I used to watch it all the time as a kid, it doesn’t quite hold up (way too long and Anthony Edwards is a terrible lead) but it’s got a great supporting cast and a couple of cool scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOCakZSHljI

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

I edited a trailer for a video game I made over the weekend for the Toronto game Jam. Editing counts as film-making, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBHNp2yADg0

I tried to go for a 90s video game ad vibe by mixing in live action footage.

The trailer rules and the game looks awesome for something that I assume you made within 48 hrs. Unfortunately we have to talk about why Sorkin is bad for the next 3 pages but you should definitely post about this in games if you haven't already

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Lurdiak posted:

The West Wing sucks but I don't see why everyone's so mad about the influence it had on politics when we have garbage right wing shows like 24 out there writing legal decisions by proxy.

People get more upset about things they expect better from.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrVenkman posted:

It seems weird to prescribe the influence to a TV show and not their day to day lives, the other shows they watch, the books they read, the people they surround themselves with. Like whichever Republican it was that would argue in favour of torture because of 24. 24 didn't make him think that way, he just liked 24 because it showed him something that he already thought and he was able to point at a very popular TV show and say see, it can be done for good.

Not to mention that whatever ideological wisdom the show imparted on people would have been obliterated after no time at all in politics.

That was Supreme Court Justice Anthony Scalia, (may he rest in hell).

Another damning thing about Sorkin, at least in terms of television, is the one show he didn't re-use a bunch of plotlines from Sportsnight in is also his worst show by a huge loving margin (Newsroom).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Because the reason people on the right are able to get away with the heinous poo poo they do is because the people who ostensibly agree with us and could stop it won't, because they were so heavily influenced by West Wing and want to seek compromise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Klowner posted:

The trailer rules and the game looks awesome for something that I assume you made within 48 hrs. Unfortunately we have to talk about why Sorkin is bad for the next 3 pages but you should definitely post about this in games if you haven't already

I already posted it in games, no one cared because it wasn't about japanese teenagers going on dates and reinforcing gender norms.

I really like how the game shook out, but I should point out I had a whole team of talented people working with me, I never could've made something this cool on my own in such a short time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I already posted it in games, no one cared because it wasn't about japanese teenagers going on dates and reinforcing gender norms.

hahaha I can’t tell if this is a Tim Rogers reference or just a general knock on goon interests

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

ruddiger posted:

I watched the John Carpenter written western El Diablo last night. I used to watch it all the time as a kid, it doesn’t quite hold up (way too long and Anthony Edwards is a terrible lead) but it’s got a great supporting cast and a couple of cool scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOCakZSHljI

I never heard of this. I always appreciate a middling 90s HBO western. Have you seen The Last Outlaw?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really like how the game shook out, but I should point out I had a whole team of talented people working with me, I never could've made something this cool on my own in such a short time.

Oh I wanted to say, I tried it and really dig the style. A little hard for me, but I think it's just because I suck at videogames now. When I have a little more time I'll give it a proper go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Oh I wanted to say, I tried it and really dig the style. A little hard for me, but I think it's just because I suck at videogames now. When I have a little more time I'll give it a proper go.

Thanks for the kind words. We didn't exactly have time to balance it, but since there's infinite retries and only 7 stages, I think most people can clear it if they keep at it.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sorkin my own dick.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

post it in the imp zone

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

His big competition in the primary is Eric Greitens, a Navy SEAL and out former governor, who was forced to step down after people found out he did sex crimes. Democrats think they can beat him, so I can’t wait until they pump a bunch of money into his campaign only to watch him get bulldozed by the guy who was a hair’s breadth away from accidentally shooting his wife.

I wish I could be shocked but our government is a rudderless ship crewed by deviants and sociopaths. People elected Dan loving Crenshaw to public office.

Jordan7hm posted:

I watched Shane last night because it's leaving Criterion's streaming service at the end of the month. Holy moly I hate that stupid kid so much. I very much enjoyed Palance making GBS threads on the confederates, and just generally he was great. Other thoughts... first two thirds of the movie was gorgeous because Technicolor, last act was just dark as hell and much less pretty. It was good, but I was a bit disappointed overall. I hoped for more than I got.

Other westerns that are leaving the site at the end of the month that I need to watch - The Wild Bunch, Sergeant Rutledge, and Buck and the Preacher.

I'm pretty sure the Wild Bunch is on HBO Max. And by the way, if you have HBO Max you should watch Doom Patrol.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of revisionist Westerns, is First Cow one of those, or is it something distinct?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

pospysyl posted:

Speaking of revisionist Westerns, is First Cow one of those, or is it something distinct?

First Cow is very distinct, and very good. I strongly recommend watching it, just be ready for it to be sloooooow.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

This poster is so dope, I've never seen it before.

https://twitter.com/mitchorner/status/1395026880034660359?s=19

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Sorkin my own dick.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip? How bout SPF 60 on my Sunburnt Dick?!

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
I don't like movies where someone immediately starts berating me about how smart and or rich they are, and how what they're involved in is a really big deal and they're looking at me the whole time trying to gauge if I'm sufficiently impressed.

So I don't care much for Sorkin stuff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

This poster is so dope, I've never seen it before.

https://twitter.com/mitchorner/status/1395026880034660359?s=19

https://twitter.com/mannfacts/status/1389760733907410950?s=21

I’d watch the poo poo out of this.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
I don’t think the west wing influenced or compelled real politicians at the time do be neoliberal shitheads, because that’s silly, their IRL self-interests did that. See also, blaming 24 for the Iraq war or whatever.

But both of these show are pretty blatant propaganda which is what people are reacting to. You could press the argument that it’s stupid to take a “2021 mentality” to propaganda from a decade or two ago (as though that were a thing one could just turn off), but why bother looking back at anything at all then, if not with a critical/historical eye?

And the reason, I suppose you could argue, that it’s worth doing now is because while the politicians at the time may not have been explicitly influenced by it, the people watching it at the time who are in politics now may have been.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
lmao jk everyone in american politics is an 8000 year old made of scarabs

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Michael Mann needs to get his poo poo together and release a director's cut of The Keep, or really any cut.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do y'all think Bulworth holds up? I was thinking it does but my politics have shifted quite a bit to the left since the last time I saw it and I've generally gotten less easy to please by just being presented with basic viewpoints I agree with.

The Klowner posted:

post it in the imp zone

Ok I did that and everyone ignored it anyway lol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Do y'all think Bulworth holds up? I was thinking it does but my politics have shifted quite a bit to the left since the last time I saw it and I've generally gotten less easy to please by just being presented with basic viewpoints I agree with.

Ok I did that and everyone ignored it anyway lol.

I haven't seen it in over a decade probably, but it might. The romance with a very young Halley Barry is probably a lot more icky than I remember though. But It's Warren Buffet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen it in over a decade probably, but it might. The romance with a very young Halley Barry is probably a lot more icky than I remember though. But It's Warren Buffet.

I mean, I dunno how old her character is supposed to be but she was 32 when that movie was made. That lady has always looked way younger than she is. I mean yeah that's still a significant and probably gross age difference but it's not like she's a teenager.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, I dunno how old her character is supposed to be but she was 32 when that movie was made. That lady has always looked way younger than she is. I mean yeah that's still a significant and probably gross age difference but it's not like she's a teenager.

Again, haven't seen it in forever, but I thought she was a lot younger than 32 when I did see it. I'm pretty sure I was younger than 32 and I thought she was younger than me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I was shocked to find out she was born in the 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted: