Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought that one of the things that threw doubt on his whole "wealthy financier" story was that after he died some journalists asked around and almost no one on wall street had ever done any trades with him. They said you'd expect a guy who had the kind of money that he did would have accounts at all the major trading desks. The implication was that he was running a massive blackmail operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I thought that one of the things that threw doubt on his whole "wealthy financier" story was that after he died some journalists asked around and almost no one on wall street had ever done any trades with him. They said you'd expect a guy who had the kind of money that he did would have accounts at all the major trading desks. The implication was that he was running a massive blackmail operation.

Wikipedia at least seems to indicate that the 'trading' he did was pretty early on until like 83 or something. After that it's largely 'consulting' and such, intentionally vague.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/latimesent/status/1394735511072292865?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

Wikipedia at least seems to indicate that the 'trading' he did was pretty early on until like 83 or something. After that it's largely 'consulting' and such, intentionally vague.

A big part of the problem is he claimed he only allowed people of a certain net worth into that fund and back then there were only a handful of people that rich. And like Mr. Apollo said nobody had ever heard of him and for him to get as rich as he did that would've been impossible.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

SomethingAwful's always been the guy at the bar pontificating about how the world really works, just with CIA Ops instead of the Cowboys having a lovely season and podcasts instead of talk radio. Obviously Epstein's a CIA asset, how else do rich people share favors with people they like, unless, of course, it's the Jews Mossad running the whole thing. You can say whatever the gently caress you want so long as it's full of unearned confidence and the other guys at the bar back you up.

Remember when this thread was convinced Ronan Farrow was about to end Biden's campaign because a NYT's writer wrote a pissy piece about how Farrow's sloppy? Literally the only reason they'd do that is to protect their liberal darling! And then... turns out, nope, there was no grand conspiracy, but by then the bar had moved on to the latest celebrity gossip to pontificate on.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Precambrian posted:

SomethingAwful's always been the guy at the bar pontificating about how the world really works, just with CIA Ops instead of the Cowboys having a lovely season and podcasts instead of talk radio. Obviously Epstein's a CIA asset, how else do rich people share favors with people they like, unless, of course, it's the Jews Mossad running the whole thing. You can say whatever the gently caress you want so long as it's full of unearned confidence and the other guys at the bar back you up.

Remember when this thread was convinced Ronan Farrow was about to end Biden's campaign because a NYT's writer wrote a pissy piece about how Farrow's sloppy? Literally the only reason they'd do that is to protect their liberal darling! And then... turns out, nope, there was no grand conspiracy, but by then the bar had moved on to the latest celebrity gossip to pontificate on.

yeah man totally

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Marlows posted:

This thread is indistinguishable from Q-Anon.

Honestly you're not all that far off the mark. I don't know if it's still a thing but people here used to take blind item gossip sites (themselves riddled with Q theorists) as gospel truth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Honestly you're not all that far off the mark. I don't know if it's still a thing but people here used to take blind item gossip sites (themselves riddled with Q theorists) as gospel truth.

No they didn't. Anything from CDAN has come with the caveat that CDAN is largely nuts now.

If a couple of posters minor speculations (perfectly normal in conversation by the way) reads as some Q adjacent conspiracy poo poo then you need your loving heads checked.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's a very badly done pull quote from the second paragraph, because it leaves out that the guest is Dylan Farrow, in case someone skimmed past that without reading the article.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Is this related to the Jamie Lynn Spears stuff?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Precambrian posted:

The Democrats put MeToo to sleep after it turned out there were credible allegations of sexual assault against Joe Biden. They (justifiably) tried to torpedo Kavanaugh with Blaisey Ford's claims, but completely buried Tara Reade's, even though Reade had a much stronger case against Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMib65Vqk4I

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Precambrian posted:

Shoulda stayed in the drafts.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

That's a very badly done pull quote from the second paragraph, because it leaves out that the guest is Dylan Farrow, in case someone skimmed past that without reading the article.

Wait, how does that conflict with the headline? Because I read the article, and I feel like her intent is still there.

So what, exactly, are you saying?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, how does that conflict with the headline?

It doesn't conflict, it's just a very weird choice to me to use the phrase "the guest" without saying who the guest is. Before I read the article I thought it was just Drew Barrymore talking with some rando about Woody Allen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't conflict, it's just a very weird choice to me to use the phrase "the guest" without saying who the guest is. Before I read the article I thought it was just Drew Barrymore talking with some rando about Woody Allen.

I edited my post, but I still maintain that the tweet is fine. Barrymore's original point still comes through, and who the guest is doesn't change that. If anything, it enhances it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I edited my post, but I still maintain that the tweet is fine. Barrymore's original point still comes through, and who the guest is doesn't change that. If anything, it enhances it.

It was a criticism of the copy editing. My mom and grandad were reporters and newspaper editors, and I briefly thought I wanted to do that, so this poo poo always stands out to me.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PeterCat posted:

The Democrats put MeToo to sleep after it turned out there were credible allegations of sexual assault against Joe Biden. They (justifiably) tried to torpedo Kavanaugh with Blaisey Ford's claims, but completely buried Tara Reade's, even though Reade had a much stronger case against Biden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMib65Vqk4I

Did the Democrats run MeToo somehow or are they all powerful that they somehow shut down an entire movement to squash one allegation?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well the Republicans opposed any accountability of rapists to begin with, and US media is generally aligned with at least one of the two ruling parties. So when the dems decided sexual assault wasn't actually bad to protect their boy large media groups weren't willing to cover anything.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

PeterCat posted:

Yeah, which is why the only conceivable reason for a journalist to put out a snippy piece on Ronan Farrow was because Ronan was about to bring the hammer down on Biden, specifically. That wasn't bizarre conspiratorial rambling based on nothing but fanfiction, but accepted as gospel because goons were being dumb as poo poo. It just made sense once you connected all the dots with red string on the corkboard.

E. Also, the claims that MeToo are over feel a lot more like wishful thinking than anything material. Joss Whedon, Armie Hammer, and literally Bill Gates, who set off this whole discussion, have serious accusations or allegations against them. There's a sitting congressman under investigation for underage sex trafficking, with multiple accusers coming forward. "The media got bored with the topic after it turned out sexual harassment/assault cases are long, boring, and hard to litigate" is not the same as the movement being dead, no matter how many times people say it.

Precambrian fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 19, 2021

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gates donated to them, they and their voters will never acknowledge his crimes

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I agree that sweeping Tara Reade's accusation under the rug was Dem's showing their true face when it came to sexual assault victims. Not a surprise, but still saddening. But it doesn't quite sit well with me that it "killed" Me Too. For me personally, Me Too was about being able to speak your truth, and highlighting how many people (with a large emphasis on women) have experienced and dealt with sexual assault. There is a world of difference between how sexual assault was talked about and/or handled before and after the "movement" gained momentum. And people are still calling out their abusers and gaining a platform. Yes, not enough people have faced real consequences for their actions, especially the powerful, but I just never felt like Me Too was exactly a "killable" thing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

catapede posted:

I agree that sweeping Tara Reade's accusation under the rug was Dem's showing their true face when it came to sexual assault victims. Not a surprise, but still saddening. But it doesn't quite sit well with me that it "killed" Me Too. For me personally, Me Too was about being able to speak your truth, and highlighting how many people (with a large emphasis on women) have experienced and dealt with sexual assault. There is a world of difference between how sexual assault was talked about and/or handled before and after the "movement" gained momentum. And people are still calling out their abusers and gaining a platform. Yes, not enough people have faced real consequences for their actions, especially the powerful, but I just never felt like Me Too was exactly a "killable" thing.

Exactly I feel like claiming that the Dems even have the ability to kill MeToo is insulting to every single woman who has spoken up and doesn't understand the movement beyond some cudgel to swing at the libs or whatever

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nothing "killed" MeToo, what the gently caress was that poster talking about? Powerful people are still getting called out, it's just not making the news anymore. Yes, I know that in the sad reality we live in it doesn't exist if people aren't talking about it. If you relied solely on the news and the media you'd think Israel wasn't an apartheid state, Joe Biden never assaulted Tara Reade, MeToo was over and that Covid was defeated and everything is normal now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Did the Democrats run MeToo somehow or are they all powerful that they somehow shut down an entire movement to squash one allegation?

It was co-opted by Democratic aligned celebrities who loving quashed everything they could about it when the Tara Reade allegations came out.

Someone dig up the Alyssa Milano tweets from the Kavanaugh hearing and when Tara Reade spoke out.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Precambrian posted:

Yeah, which is why the only conceivable reason for a journalist to put out a snippy piece on Ronan Farrow was because Ronan was about to bring the hammer down on Biden, specifically. That wasn't bizarre conspiratorial rambling based on nothing but fanfiction, but accepted as gospel because goons were being dumb as poo poo. It just made sense once you connected all the dots with red string on the corkboard.

E. Also, the claims that MeToo are over feel a lot more like wishful thinking than anything material. Joss Whedon, Armie Hammer, and literally Bill Gates, who set off this whole discussion, have serious accusations or allegations against them. There's a sitting congressman under investigation for underage sex trafficking, with multiple accusers coming forward. "The media got bored with the topic after it turned out sexual harassment/assault cases are long, boring, and hard to litigate" is not the same as the movement being dead, no matter how many times people say it.

Epstein was murdered.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

catapede posted:

This is a much better way to discuss the issue instead of the other poster calling this thread QAnon.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

MacheteZombie posted:

This is a much better way to discuss the issue instead of the other poster calling this thread QAnon.

I haven't ruled out that Epstein died in the basement of Comet Ping Pong during an autoerotic asphyxiation mishap.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dems totally killed metoo to get their demented rapist on the throne.

Like you have to be blinded by *sniff* ideology not to realize it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It is perhaps an overstatement to say that they killed it, but they loving tried. It's not a coincidence that every dem leaning outlet and mouthpiece immediately wondered why this accusation surfaced at such a 'convenient' time, including people who described it as disqualifying before he was the nominee. It's been nauseating to see the exact same playbook rolled out for loving Cuomo.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Dems totally killed metoo to get their demented rapist on the throne.

Like you have to be blinded by *sniff* ideology not to realize it.

How are those allegations against Cuomo going?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PeterCat posted:

They're going nowhere because Biden showed him the playbook.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

PeterCat posted:

He’s getting away with it because BlueMAGA decided he’s innocent.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I dunno if you're joking or not, but I'm a rape victim whose rape fell in the "grey area" of boyfriend pressure. It took a decade for me to acknowledge what it was and how it hosed me up. MeToo helped open up further conversation, and absolutely helped me feel less alone and less to blame for what happened to me. And my ex-boyfriend raping me isn't the only sexual assault MeToo has helped me process.

Like wtf is this *sniff* poo poo. gently caress off. State yourself plainly instead of this bullshit holier than thou poo poo that often alienates the marginalized people we pretend to care about. lovely people and celebs co-opt tons of positive, "woke" movements, but they can't take away what MeToo gave me and my friends. MeToo was something bound to fade and stop being uttered, but discourse has absolutely changed thanks to it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
When the Democrats put a rapist up as their candidate despite everything that happened under MeToo it’s pretty clear they only ever considered it to be a weapon to use against Republicans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sexual Assault and the Culture of D&D

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Marlows posted:

This thread is indistinguishable from Q-Anon.

I just remembered one of the Attorneys General for the US got asked by Donald Trump's vetting committee why he gave Epstein a slap on the wrist for being the King of Pedophiles and he was like "I don't know, CIA told me to"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

I just remembered one of the Attorneys General for the US got asked by Donald Trump's vetting committee why he gave Epstein a slap on the wrist for being the King of Pedophiles and he was like "I don't know, CIA told me to"

Trump's Secretary of Labor, actually. Alexander Acosta, who had been US Attorney for the Southern District of Florida back in 2007. Acosta's exact words were “I was told Epstein ‘belonged to intelligence’ and to leave it alone,” which is ominously vague.

If that had been all I would have assumed Acosta was making up excuses for himself, but Ghislaine Maxwell's father, Robert Maxwell, seems to have been some kind of MI6/KGB/Mossad triple agent, so there's some reason to think bizarre spy stuff is connected to the Epstein matter somehow.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Oh, the old Attorney General's dad gave him a job as a high school teacher. I got 'em mixed. Too many hosed up people to keep straight

He probably wasn't lying, they would have asked the CIA, they were vetting the cabinet, and they still gave him the job

Also I don't think you need to be a triple agent to be involved with the CIA, Mossad, and Mi6, they are pretty chummy

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 20, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

catapede posted:

Like wtf is this *sniff* poo poo. gently caress off.
I think it was just a dumb joke about the way Slavoj Zizek talks. Which, you know, people are bringing a lot of unnecessary snark and jokes and stuff to a thread that isn't really about that.

I think it is obvious that the movement has not been killed completely. It would maybe be reasonable to talk meToo being diminished or abandoned in the political sphere, which can be hugely important in many ways but doesn't determine everyone's experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

catapede posted:

I dunno if you're joking or not, but I'm a rape victim whose rape fell in the "grey area" of boyfriend pressure. It took a decade for me to acknowledge what it was and how it hosed me up. MeToo helped open up further conversation, and absolutely helped me feel less alone and less to blame for what happened to me. And my ex-boyfriend raping me isn't the only sexual assault MeToo has helped me process.

Like wtf is this *sniff* poo poo. gently caress off. State yourself plainly instead of this bullshit holier than thou poo poo that often alienates the marginalized people we pretend to care about. lovely people and celebs co-opt tons of positive, "woke" movements, but they can't take away what MeToo gave me and my friends. MeToo was something bound to fade and stop being uttered, but discourse has absolutely changed thanks to it.

Discourse changed, but when it came time to actually go through with changing reality, the movement was smothered. It's good that it helped you, but don't get angry at me for pointing out how it was thrown under the loving bus.