Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Gripweed posted:

It's fancy movie with the heart of a trashy movie. I don't know if there is a word for that.

"Awesome"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lurdiak posted:

The best miniatures of all time are still the ones from the minecart scene in Temple of Doom.

Basebf555 posted:

Also the NYC miniature set from the end of Ghostbusters

That section of Tokyo they did for The Return of Godzilla is fantastic

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

It’s one of the best horror movies this decade imo

It didn't come out this decade

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t know what timeline this is

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
It's not really horror in any sense but I just rewatched Robot Jox and it loving whips rear end. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid in a video store, just found out it's a Stuart Gordon masterpiece.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Shlocky wasn't the right word then, because it certainly didn't look cheap. Which is part of why I was put off by the beginning. It has the look and acting of a fancy movie about people being sad, but the content feels like something out of an over the top schlocky movie, "Every member of her family went insane and killed themselves!" stuff. But then as it goes it's revealed that it's not a fancy movie about people being sad, it's the kind of movie where that stuff is appropriate. It just straight up has the plot of a Paranormal Activity movie. But it's very well made and acted at the same time. It's fancy movie with the heart of a trashy movie. I don't know if there is a word for that.

But seriously, next time you're in a book store pick up a train or military modeling magazine, you'll see page after page of miniatures far better than the stuff in that movie. And those people don't get gallery shows.

Well, for the context of the story, I don't think she's a popular artist because her miniatures are photo-realistic. It's because she uses them for unique self-expression, and filters a lot of mood and meaning in them (from her personal life and subconscious) that resonates with her audience.

There are thousands of famous artists that get gallery showings, and it's not because their stuff is photo-realistic. And there's plenty of people that create art that is a technical achievement or photo-realistic, but it has no emotion or mood or meaning beyond it being technically good.

So, yeah, there may be some people that are really good about making train stations, for instance, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone outside of an insular group, beyond it being a really good reconstruction of a train station.

edit: A fun example is the Persian Cat Guardian sculpture:

This is a terrible representation of a cat. But it's construction conveys a weird idea, mood, and has a sense of humor, that it has transcended the gallery it was presented in, and then transcended the art world and is now a meme.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 19, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Once again, I am begging you to pick up a train or military modeling magazine and just have a flip through it. I wasn't just talking about technical skill

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

"Hereditary draws ire of miniature hobbyists" isn't something I predicted, but I get it. I just rewatched Mandy and was irked by the specific Motley Crue t-shirt not ringing true for the 1983 setting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Once again, I am begging you to pick up a train or military modeling magazine and just have a flip through it. I wasn't just talking about technical skill

I have watched plenty of videos of mini-architecture and model-building, so I do understand what you're saying. I'm saying you're over-thinking why the fictional artist's miniatures is fine and good for the story, just because it isn't technical perfection. The idea of a miniaturist getting into a fine art gallery is also pretty preposterous these days.

It's like when I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire. No way she's sealing an oil painting in a box to be shipped in a small boat on an ocean--with salt water and spray and wind and constant movement--to the mainland, only two days after finishing the painting. The painting would be ruined before they got it to the boat. But that's not really the point of the story I'm supposed to be worried about as a viewer, just because I know more about painting than most audience members. Still a perfect movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's funny how a person's personal peeves/expertise/experiences that nobody else cares about can totally ruin a movie for them. I hated the movie Winter's Bone because it's set in the town I grew up in and everyone in the film talks like a backwoods hillbilly. They even have a god drat ho-down. It's not at all what people in that part of the state act like and it irked me.

*gets back to milking the pigs*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I liked Hereditary! It's a good movie, I recommended it in the thread!

But those miniatures were not good. The viewer just has to accept that those mediocre miniatures represent good miniatures in the story of the movie. And since the rest of the movie has such excellent acting and production values, it does stand out. That's all I'm saying.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I liked Hereditary! It's a good movie, I recommended it in the thread!

But those miniatures were not good. The viewer just has to accept that those mediocre miniatures represent good miniatures in the story of the movie. And since the rest of the movie has such excellent acting and production values, it does stand out. That's all I'm saying.

Again, that's fair! I didn't mean to be harsh or dismissive; just (unhelpfully) saying you're over-thinking the miniature thing, but like Boogeyman and Spatulater added, we all bring knowledge to movies, and sometimes that's hard to shake.

Like how I'm constantly irked when a gunshot or stabbing to the abdomen leads to IMMEDIATE death, and not the slow slow, painful death that it actually is. (Scream and Reservoir Dogs gets it right, though.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I kinda thought she was a bit of a hack, and that made the film stronger imo.

People do make money off mediocre art.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Ari Aster can absolutely gently caress off though with "Hereditary isn't a horror movie, I don't even like horror movies!". I never really get spooked by movies, but Hereditary was genuinely unsettling. Like the last 30 minutes or so of the movie I just felt nauseous and nervous, wondering where it's going to take me next.

And that's good horror :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's funny how a person's personal peeves/expertise/experiences that nobody else cares about can totally ruin a movie for them. I hated the movie Winter's Bone because it's set in the town I grew up in and everyone in the film talks like a backwoods hillbilly. They even have a god drat ho-down. It's not at all what people in that part of the state act like and it irked me.

*gets back to milking the pigs*

I live in New York City and bad location shooting drives me insane. Jason Takes Manhattan is fun and all, but holy poo poo at them using Vancouver (especially the subways) as NYC.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

King Vidiot posted:

Ari Aster can absolutely gently caress off though with "Hereditary isn't a horror movie, I don't even like horror movies!". I never really get spooked by movies, but Hereditary was genuinely unsettling. Like the last 30 minutes or so of the movie I just felt nauseous and nervous, wondering where it's going to take me next.

And that's good horror :colbert:

He's just trying to make sure he's not shoe-horned as the "horror director" by critics, audiences and studios, like Romero and Wes Craven and others were.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I remember another thing I liked about Hereditary, the way it used light to represent ghost stuff. It reminded me a bit of how Koji Shirashi will just use small dark smudges. It's a really effective way to show something without actually giving any clue to it's form.

Franchescanado posted:

Again, that's fair! I didn't mean to be harsh or dismissive; just (unhelpfully) saying you're over-thinking the miniature thing, but like Boogeyman and Spatulater added, we all bring knowledge to movies, and sometimes that's hard to shake.

Like how I'm constantly irked when a gunshot or stabbing to the abdomen leads to IMMEDIATE death, and not the slow slow, painful death that it actually is. (Scream and Reservoir Dogs gets it right, though.)

The Luke Wilson movie Vacancy as well. That was a surprisingly decent movie iirc

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

King Vidiot posted:

Ari Aster can absolutely gently caress off though with "Hereditary isn't a horror movie, I don't even like horror movies!"

Maybe he was trying to boost Toni Colette's Oscar chances, since the academy hates horror.

This thread can't agree on what is or isn't horror, so clearly it means something different to everyone.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sorry to keep harping on that. The least he could've done was come out with a gotcha statement like "ha, made you watch horror and like it!".

I understand it from a career standpoint, like he could've ended up like Adam Wingard and been hired to make nothing but big budget genre remakes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The best miniatures of all time are still the ones from the minecart scene in Temple of Doom.

I’m a fan of the Lionel toy train they abruptly cut to in Night Train to Terror

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Escape from New York would like a word about miniatures.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This movie where a main character is possessed by a demon and then saws her own head off in as terrifying a manner as possible is not a horror movie lol!

Hereditary rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Asters problem with the horror director label is that he's not getting out there and doing other things. He came out of the gate with two highly regarded horror films.....and now 2+ years have gone by and he hasn't done anything else. You have to actually do things to be known for doing things. And the things you've already done are what you'll be known for until you do different things.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Asters problem with the horror director label is that he's not getting out there and doing other things. He came out of the gate with two highly regarded horror films.....and now 2+ years have gone by and he hasn't done anything else. You have to actually do things to be known for doing things. And the things you've already done are what you'll be known for until you do different things.

I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of time between projects. Hereditary was 2018, Midsommar was 2019, then we had a pandemic and his next one is already underway.

This also seems like something of a departure

quote:

an intimate, decades-spanning portrait of one of the most successful entrepreneurs of all time

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 19, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of time between projects. Hereditary was 2018, Midsommar was 2019, then we had a pandemic and his next one is already underway.

It's not an unreasonable amount of time but it's just the facts of the matter, he hasn't done anything else. I'm not saying it's his fault, but there's no point in pushing back against the horror director label until you actually have other stuff to point to that you've done. Right now you're a horror director, because you've made two highly praised films and they were both horror.

It's like if David Leitch said oh I'm really not an action director, I can direct a lot of different types of films. Well ok, that's great that you believe in yourself but up to this point you've done John Wick and Atomic Blonde and Deadpool so for now you're an action director.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 19, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ah, I get what you mean. Aster's shown some breadth within horror but hasn't really explored outside that in the way that, say, Luca Guadagnino or Ben Wheatley has. Maybe this new thing will be different though.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The less we care about how most directors describe their work the better

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did you guys know 28 Days Later isn't a zombie movie????

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

ok ill take the bait. what is it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This is correct

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

ok ill take the bait. what is it.

It's an intense drama about a very contagious disease.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It was interesting rewatching 28DL last year in the midst of COVID. For the first time ever it felt way more like a virus movie than a zombie movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's not a zombie movie at all but a virus movie. I dunno why people keep referring to it as a "fast moving zombie" movie.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It was definitely marketed as a zombie movie at least. The trailer for it said something like "Danny Boyle reinvents the zombie genre".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's not a zombie movie though

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Maybe not, but if your question is "why do people think it's a zombie movie?", the answer is "because they were told it was."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think even if you want to use a really loose definition of "zombie" and just say that a zombie is a dead person come back to life, 28 Days Later doesn't qualify. The virus doesn't resurrect the dead, it just turns living people into rage monsters.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

28 Days doesn’t need to be a zombie movie and it’s ok not to call it that but it has so many elements of the zombie movie genre that getting weird about it being called a zombie movie doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s not like someone calling The Shining a romantic comedy (I might be onto something there)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think even if you want to use a really loose definition of "zombie" and just say that a zombie is a dead person come back to life, 28 Days Later doesn't qualify. The virus doesn't resurrect the dead, it just turns living people into rage monsters.

It's also the only "zombie" movie (at last that I've seen) where the condition can spread via blood and not necessarily a bite. That definitely scream virus to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

WeaponX posted:

28 Days doesn’t need to be a zombie movie and it’s ok not to call it that but it has so many elements of the zombie movie genre that getting weird about it being called a zombie movie doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s not like someone calling The Shining a romantic comedy (I might be onto something there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6QgNuZcxTw