Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That's JPW did a great match with Rika/Raku vs Bakuretsu Sisters. My fave match so far this week of wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/shupromobile/status/1394493312342577155

Maika made the cover of shupro. Unexpected but very happy for her! Stardom has a very bright future with all young up and coming talent they have.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 18, 2021

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Also this Natsuko makeover is something else.

https://twitter.com/STARDOM_N/status/1394301327061127178

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/yumi_tjpw/status/1394569930322812932?s=19

Ah, so here's an X nobody had suggested. Considering she was 14 years old and the tallest on the roster last time we saw her, I imagine she's going to come out looking like The Great Khali getting into the ring with people like Shoko

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also worth noting is that Konami is not booked on the 5.23 Stardom show so she might have got to go to the Hana memorial show

https://twitter.com/1222Dragonmoon/status/1394607333074825221?s=19

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Doesn't look like Rina is either. Hope she gets to go too.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I know that it's understandable that Kyona will be there but not wrestling but I'm wondering if Konami would be able to appear and wrestle on the show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1394703700581490690

Not for nothing but these two goofballs are a large part of why I keep watching current wrestling.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/farrahakase/status/1394554537977913344?s=21

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I just started watching Stardom recently and this 5-14 show is the first time I've watched the same day it was released.

The finish of Giulia vs. Maika seemed absolutely insane to me. Giulia was just on the cover of a "visual" magazine looking like a million bucks. Flash forward to her taking a brainbuster onto the steel pole from the second rope, getting split open and dumped to the floor, losing the match. This spot seemed unbelievably reckless to me. And it was done by her stablemate in the quarterfinals of a tourney in what seemed like a small town "house show" with barely 100 people in attendance. Is Giulia just hell bent on "coming up through the ranks" after her initial astronomical push? Does she feel like she has dues to pay?

Another interesting match was Mayu vs. Himeka. I've only seen a few matches with Jumbo Princess but I immediately thought she was too stiff, and overly rough with her opponents. Mayu took an EXTREMELY high velocity powerbomb in this match from Himeka. Himeka's eyes looked crazed when she hit it, I cant help but wonder if Mayu explicitly told her to smash her as hard as she possibly could with this move. If anyone in the back has been complaining about Himeka, Mayu just sent a message to any softies. Because Himeka looked like she wanted to send the Ace through the canvas.

kickascii fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 18, 2021

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Mayu is the kind of person who's always gonna take the insanely stupid bump.

Chihiro Hashimoto, DASH Chisako, Hagane Shinnou and Shota have been added to the Hana memorial show

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

So besides the opening match, the card to Stardom's rescheduled Ota Ward card has been anounced.

Cinderella Tournament semi final matches

Saya Kamitani vs Himeka
Maika vs Unagi Sayaka

then winners face off in the finals

World of Stardom Championship

Utami Hayashita vs Syuri

Stars vs Oedo Tai all out war part 2

Mayu Iwatani/Starlight Kid/ Hanan/Koguma/X vs Natsuko Tora/Konami/Fukigen/Ruaka/X

3 Way Tag Match

Giulia/Natsupoi vs Momo Watanabe/AZM vs Tam Nakano/Mina Shirakawa

Wonder if the X's in the Stars/ Oedo Tai match could be Jungle Kyona & Natsu Sumire. Would be 8 months since they've been out of action.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Konami will fight

https://twitter.com/mm85adkczdbeliq/status/1394892936886689794?s=21

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Syuri and Natsupoi also added from Stardom. Syuri because she was a role model for Hana as a mixed-race wrestler in Japan and Natsupoi because she worked with Hana a lot when they were younger.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I made a thread for Mata ne. I might add short blurbs for all the confirmed wrestlers if anyone wants help me with that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968102

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Syuri and Natsupoi also added from Stardom. Syuri because she was a role model for Hana as a mixed-race wrestler in Japan and Natsupoi because she worked with Hana a lot when they were younger.

Do all the wrestlers involved in the show have a connection to Hana? I was surprised to see Hashimoto and Mio Momono, for example, on the show. It seems like such a wide spectrum of participants.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Do all the wrestlers involved in the show have a connection to Hana? I was surprised to see Hashimoto and Mio Momono, for example, on the show. It seems like such a wide spectrum of participants.

Some are more tenuous than others, but Kyoko has been adding a blurb for each on Twitter. Chihiro was someone Hana always wanted a singles match with but never got and Mio debuted a month before Hana in a match against Kyoko so Kyoko always saw them as similar, they had a few matches against each other too.

Generally if anyone on the card is a dude in his 40s then they helped to look after Hana at some point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a good... I guess jumping on point for Stardom? I feel like I'd still be a little lost when it came to angles but there's a lot of people there I'd like to watch.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dawgstar posted:

Is there a good... I guess jumping on point for Stardom? I feel like I'd still be a little lost when it came to angles but there's a lot of people there I'd like to watch.

unless they've changed the format in recent years every match opens with each participant doing promos that are subtitled, making it pretty easy to get the gist.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Their big Budokan show on March 3rd blew off a lot of stories and had some great matches so I'd recommend there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hana Kimura news

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/05/19/national/crime-legal/hana-kimura-lawsuit-2/

A Japanese court on Wednesday ordered a man to pay about ¥1.29 million for causing emotional distress to the family of the late Hana Kimura, a cast member of the now-canceled reality TV show "Terrace House," after posting hateful messages about her online after her death.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Their big Budokan show on March 3rd blew off a lot of stories and had some great matches so I'd recommend there.

Cool! Thank you. It's a lot easier to get info on joshi stuff now than when I got interested in it when Dave Prazak was bringing in Ayumi Kurihara and the like into Shimmer, so I thank the thread for that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stardom is probably the best english language joshi-oriented service. If TJPW paid me in merch, I would gladly subtitle their promos.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tjpw has a dedicated show with english commentary and runs live shows at reasonable time slots for the west, stardom doesnt even run live shows, its no contest

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Super No Vacancy posted:

tjpw has a dedicated show with english commentary and runs live shows at reasonable time slots for the west, stardom doesnt even run live shows, its no contest

I love That's JPW but its nowhere near the amount of english translated content Stardom has. And if you value live viewing over taped stuff, yeah its got that going too.

Personally live only matters when I'm watching with others and 10pmEST is a poo poo timeslot because that's normally when I do dad/husband evening stuff.

Also TJPW doesn't have a history of bafflingly gross decisions like Stardom does.

e: so I guess advantage TJPW?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah it's really the environment (or at least the vibe I get from it) that makes me not like Stardom. Feels way too competitive.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I mean I'm pretty sure TJPW has some done some lovely stuff but its nowhere along the lines of "lost twitter because we promoted underaged girls in swimsuits photobooks"

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Pylons posted:

Yeah it's really the environment (or at least the vibe I get from it) that makes me not like Stardom. Feels way too competitive.

I used to think this, but I've seen subtle signs that it might not be the case. Maybe we're comparing it too closely to TJPW, which isn't faction-based and so everybody getting along is more out in the open.

When Saya Iida announced her knee injury, I saw people from other factions wishing her well. I also saw a recent post from Hanan's mom celebrating Hanan's wrestling anniversary and she said something like "I'm glad she's in a healthy environment with supportive seniors." I mean, she could have just meant STARS, but I doubt any parent is gonna keep their kids in a bad situation like that.

But of course, it's wrestling. Who knows for sure outside of those locker rooms?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Pylons posted:

That's what makes me love Stardom and not really like TJPW. Everyone is friends in TJPW so I can't get into any of the major rivalries. It's too light-hearted for me. Don't like the vibe. Plus while the current top talent of tjpw is close to the level of those in Stardom I think the talent just below that level is far better in Stardom. They're gonna have a lot of stars in a few years.

TJPW does have the live streaming advantage though. Although with Stardom offering ppvs to the west now I'll catch those shows live at a much higher cost mind you. I don't really care about stuff like English commentary so that doesn't really draw me. Subtitles is a much bigger draw for me.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Lid posted:

Hana Kimura news

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/05/19/national/crime-legal/hana-kimura-lawsuit-2/

A Japanese court on Wednesday ordered a man to pay about ¥1.29 million for causing emotional distress to the family of the late Hana Kimura, a cast member of the now-canceled reality TV show "Terrace House," after posting hateful messages about her online after her death.

I hate reality tv so loving much

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

The following has been paid for by the NEO Itoh Respect Army:

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1395212895936471043?s=20

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

coconono posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure TJPW has some done some lovely stuff but its nowhere along the lines of "lost twitter because we promoted underaged girls in swimsuits photobooks"

TJPW released a photobook of Marika Kobashi when she was 17 which referred to the fact that she was 17 in the title. Can't talk about the contents but considering the outrage to it I suspect that it wasn't entirely wholesome.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

TJPW released a photobook of Marika Kobashi when she was 17 which referred to the fact that she was 17 in the title. Can't talk about the contents but considering the outrage to it I suspect that it wasn't entirely wholesome.

It was like a month before her 18th birthday so it wasn't quite as skevy as the Stardom thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IceAgeComing posted:

Was this before or after she got the chestpiece? Not that it really matters, I'm just trying to figure out how long she's had that.

FatBagzJones
Apr 29, 2021
Didn't saw this posted here. A music video featuring Hana Kimura has been released yesterday
https://youtu.be/ZT9Mtpf5fl8

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

coconono posted:

Was this before or after she got the chestpiece? Not that it really matters, I'm just trying to figure out how long she's had that.

Isn't the chest piece henna? I'm pretty sure I read in this thread that people have seen both the edges fray and alterations in the design

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SG Bamboo posted:

Isn't the chest piece henna? I'm pretty sure I read in this thread that people have seen both the edges fray and alterations in the design

that's a lot of money to spend on henna

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1395939461796487168
TJPW's next "Inspiration" show is going to feature a UWF rules match, Miyu vs. Mirai. I'm only vaguely aware of what the "shoot style" UWF rules are, I'm excited for two badasses to kick the crap out of each other but what are the specific nuances of UWF?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No pinfall, win by ko/sub, hand strikes must be open hand and then beyond that its whatever they announce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If it's anything like the Yuu/Syuri UWF-style match GLEAT put on last year it should be real good