Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

28 Days doesn’t need to be a zombie movie and it’s ok not to call it that but it has so many elements of the zombie movie genre that getting weird about it being called a zombie movie doesn’t make sense to me.

It’s not like someone calling The Shining a romantic comedy (I might be onto something there)

Oh yea this is definitely a fun topic for the horror thread but I wouldn't be making an issue of it at parties or whatever, it's just something to pick apart and debate amongst other horror nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea this is definitely a fun topic for the horror thread but I wouldn't be making an issue of it at parties or whatever, it's just something to pick apart and debate amongst other horror nerds.

I forever ruined it for myself because I watched it right after seeing Dawn of the Dead (remake and original) for the first time so I always associate it with “zombies”. I guess more accurate would be a general “apocalyptic scenario” umbrella

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Its just always annoyed me when 28 days and 28 weeks come out on best of Zombie lists because the movie clearly explains what is happening

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Its just always annoyed me when 28 days and 28 weeks come out on best of Zombie lists because the movie clearly explains what is happening

I think it's a situation where you have to take into account the context. 28 Days Later came out during a period of time where really the only relevant zombie media for years had been the Resident Evil games. So it was an attempt to bring zombies back but there was a sense that they had to be different in some way to make modern audiences interested. So it was very much a movie that was made, or at the very least marketed, with the idea of doing a zombie film for the 21st century. It wasn't just like, "oh we made this movie about a virus but it seems to be somewhat similar to a zombie movie doesn't it?", it was very calculated.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I also think the fast zombies in the DotD remake (which were very reminiscent of the ones in 28DL) just a couple years later bridged the gap in people's minds for 28DL being a zombie movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

28 Days Later is absolutely a zombie movie in every way that matters

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's a situation where you have to take into account the context. 28 Days Later came out during a period of time where really the only relevant zombie media for years had been the Resident Evil games. So it was an attempt to bring zombies back but there was a sense that they had to be different in some way to make modern audiences interested. So it was very much a movie that was made, or at the very least marketed, with the idea of doing a zombie film for the 21st century. It wasn't just like, "oh we made this movie about a virus but it seems to be somewhat similar to a zombie movie doesn't it?", it was very calculated.

Also retrospectively it helped kick off the zombie craze. Resident Evil the movie was the same year, Dawn remake and Shaun of the Dead were two years after. Walking Dead comics started being published the year after and so on

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I may be pedantic about using the word "schlock", but this is exactly how I feel:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you described the movie to someone who's never seen/heard of it, two sentences in they're saying 'Oh, it's a zombie movie?"

It's a zombie movie. But like every other zombie movie, the movie makes it's own rules for what constitutes as a zombie.

It becomes Day of the Dead in the 3rd act, even.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:agreed:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Blade isn't a vampire movie. If they were real vampires he would've just thrown nets on the ground so they'd have to stop and untangle them, then killed them with a hawthorn stake. The only hard part is burying them at a crossroads with their head between their legs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A zombie is a person that goes rawr and bites you.

This is the rules

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like zombies being created by a virus is even a new idea. It's speculated to be the source of the zombie outbreak in Zombie Flesh Eaters and is the main driving plot point of the Resident Evil games. It's absolutely a zombie movie and Danny Boyle was just being a snob, something they rightly made fun of multiple times in Shaun of the Dead.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zombies are the undead , not living creatures.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Zombies are the undead , not living creatures.

By this logic, Train To Busan isn't a zombie movie.

They are the living dead. But sometimes they're alive and cursed to be in a stasis of in-between life and death. And sometimes they get a virus that makes them braindead.

The one movie that posits that the monsters are humans that have been infected with a disease that makes them aggressive flesh eaters that I could see argued against being a "zombie" movie is REC. And even the first one is pretty much a zombie movie, it's the sequels that retcon it a bit (apparently. I haven't seen them.)

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 19, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Oh my God, what is happening!"
"A zombie apocalypse! Run!"
"Wait... zombies? Aren't they alive?"
"I don't know... I guess? You wanna check their pulse?"
"So if they're alive they're not zombies."
"Seriously?"
"Thy have to be undead to be zombies."
"Do they act like zombies?"
"Maybe."
"Do they want to eat us like zombies?"
"I guess."
"Does the virus spread and turn us into them like zombies?"
"I suppose."
"Are we handling this exactly like you would a zombie apocalypse?"
"Sure."
"So why are we having this conversation?"
"Because they're not zombies."
"Can't you just... ahhhhhhh!"
Not Zombie: "RAWR!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Also Return of the Living Dead has running Zombies like 20 years before any of the later 2000 "fast zombies".

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Return of the Living Dead was actually a romantic comedy.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

It’s one of the best horror movies this decade imo

Is it not just the best?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

But is 28 Days Later Horror, or a Thriller?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Is wild zero a zombie movie?

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Spazzle posted:

Is wild zero a zombie movie?

Also romantic comedy

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is The Girl With All the Gifts a zombie movie then? Because even though the cordyceps infected are clinicially "dead" they're technically more like a symbiotic organism that's part human, part mushroom and not a zombie in the classic sense. Plus some of them can think and act like regular humans.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I think an argument can be made that Assault on Precinct 13 is a zombie movie.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Stink Billyums posted:

Also romantic comedy

Well, yes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
28 Days and Weeks Later are ‘Crazies’ movies, but The Crazies is also clearly a zombie movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A zombie is any mindless (or single minded) creature that functions only as part of a larger group not as an individual.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

By contrast like, I Walked With a Zombie hasn’t really got anything in common with “zombie movies”. Who cares what monster manual entry best represents the monster

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If they're not the dead come back to life or reanimated corpses then they are not zombies. I will not be taking further questions.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Labels are dumb

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

zombies?
Zombies!

Somewhat risque. May lead to termination if you are caught browsing from your job as a chaperon in a nunnery.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Dragonshirt posted:

It's not really horror in any sense but I just rewatched Robot Jox and it loving whips rear end. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid in a video store, just found out it's a Stuart Gordon masterpiece.

Hell yeah! It's a great movie.

Great miniatures, too :q:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Funny Games is still a gut punch. Do I mess around with the remake? I know it’s haneke still.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

dorium posted:

Funny Games is still a gut punch. Do I mess around with the remake? I know it’s haneke still.

I saw the remake in the theater after being a big fan of the original. It's a shot for shot remake. I'd say it's worth watching to see the different actors in the roles. I still prefer the original but it's an interesting curiosity.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I liked the new Blair Witch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

Its literally the same movie. Like not figuratively its almost shot for shot the same movie. The only difference is it being in English.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

watch another Haneke, like Cache or The White Ribbon. both great

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never seen either funny games which one do i watch

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both at the same time one played forwards the other in reverse both at 50% opacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kvlt! posted:

ive never seen either funny games which one do i watch

If you're fine with subtitles watch the original. If you don't like subtitles watch the remake