Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Luceo posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/19/the-last-of-us-part-ii-performance-patch-for-ps5/

This says that the performance patch is just the first step of their work on the PS5. I wonder if they're working on ray tracing?

I think they're just saying it's the first major PS5 thing of any kind that Naughty Dog has worked on, kind of like how TLOU Remastered was done in part so they could get used to the PS4 dev tools. (They did also update TLOU Remaster for some PS5 improvements, but it was pretty subtle.)

Downloaded and tried it out a bit and holy good gravy is it pretty. I'm definitely gonna do another playthrough to check it all out. (But I've played it like three times now so I might be an outlier. :v: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was introduced in Peace Walker, the actual fifth Metal Gear Solid game

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of MGSV, I just started a replay of it! Turns out there's no way to just start a new game without deleting your save file at the system level. We really need a :kojima: emote.

What's a good way early game to ko soldiers without alerting the whole base? You can either attempt a fulton (will probably get seen) or hide the body. But hiding them only works for a few minutes, then they get up and cry to their friends.

If you've gotta knock them out, hit them with the full CQC combo. That'll give you the longest period of unconsciousness in the game.

If you can manage it, hold them up and then make them get on the ground. They'll stay there until you trip an alert.

The pro strat is to knock someone out, pick them up and move them somewhere out of the way of patrols, kick them to wake them up, and then hold them up on the ground so they'll stay in place.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Sakurazuka posted:

It was introduced in Peace Walker, the actual fifth Metal Gear Solid game

Well, Fulton Extraction was used in MGS3, just the real life version instead of the pokeball version.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

grassy gnoll posted:

If you can manage it, hold them up and then make them get on the ground. They'll stay there until you trip an alert.

Ah right right, this is the mechanic I was forgetting about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been 16 years since I played MGS 3 sorry

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My biggest issue with MGSV, that ruined the immersion for me, was there was no political fallout for the player’s actions in Afghanistan. Like, in any game purporting to be realistic, even 10% of the actions undertaken by the player (especially kidnapping and holding prisoner that lady in a bikini top) would have caused massive international outcry. I just don’t see the Diamond Dogs existing for long in the real world. Nothing they do is subtle.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

McCracAttack posted:

Well I didn't need that last summer either.

Arguably, I don't need it now, either, but I'll probably be able to suffer through enough to enjoy the game at this point.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Peace Walker and MGS3 being trapped on PS3 and earlier is a travesty.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just don’t see the Diamond Dogs existing for long in the real world. Nothing they do is subtle.

hahahaha

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Am I like the only person on Earth for whom the Fulton balloon mechanic just absolutely destroyed any semblance of immersion and just could not take anything about the game seriously as a result?

Like in a series that I love, absolutely adored, for the way it blends techno-futurism with weird mysticism, constantly toying with nano-machines and psychic ghosts and robot-ninjas… something about just using an infinite balloon cannon to yeet all of your problems away just made me turn the game off forever. It’s straight up too stupid and silly for me.

Look it's better than knocking everyone on the map out and dragging them to your creepy van

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Like, in any game purporting to be realistic

I think I found the issue

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Am I like the only person on Earth for whom the Fulton balloon mechanic just absolutely destroyed any semblance of immersion and just could not take anything about the game seriously as a result?
The fulton balloon was one of the few things the game did right.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

MGS 1 & 2 and I guess also 3 all really love to pepper the silliness around the edges of the game, like the guy who always craps his pants or whatever. It's there for you to find, but it's not centralized. MGSV was like "Here is an incredibly dumb thing that is absolutely central to the mechanics of the game, it's something you have to do over and over constantly".

MGS3 had a boss who shot bees out of a gun made of bees

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Crows Turn Off posted:

The fulton balloon was one of the few things the game did right.

On a mechanical level I think it's nearly perfect. Only real issues I have with it on that front are the weird research system and the unforgiving checkpoints.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Baggot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vKTikTO4dE

TLOU Part II performance patch with increased resolution and 60fps target, out today.

Still holding out hope for a death stranding patch

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

yoooo we still doing this?? Not pictured is my sick turntable

Lol imagine if this beautiful feng shui had an ugly rear end PS5 ruining the vibe

Y’all asked for PS5 cat??

better believe I’m part of the Rest Mode Rowdies (mostly cause I’m bad at Returnal) and Vertical Virgins

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 19, 2021

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Luceo posted:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/19/the-last-of-us-part-ii-performance-patch-for-ps5/

This says that the performance patch is just the first step of their work on the PS5. I wonder if they're working on ray tracing?
Not without making a native PS5 version with a new renderer they aren't.

But if they did do that they could finally add trigger resistance like the entire games press things they did already.

Dewgy posted:

I think they're just saying it's the first major PS5 thing of any kind that Naughty Dog has worked on, kind of like how TLOU Remastered was done in part so they could get used to the PS4 dev tools. (They did also update TLOU Remaster for some PS5 improvements, but it was pretty subtle.)
This still isn't really PS5, it's just boost mode. It's PS4 Pro+.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/chipcheezum/status/1394734435682197511?s=21

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

yoooo we still doing this?? Not pictured is my sick turntable

Lol imagine if this beautiful feng shui had an ugly rear end PS5 ruining the vibe

Y’all asked for PS5 cat??

better believe I’m part of the Rest Mode Rowdies (mostly cause I’m bad at Returnal) and Vertical Virgins

Nice PJs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The ff7 dlc isnt on the store yet is it? Everything ff7 intergrade related for me is unavailable since i own the game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That can't be good for cooling.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Luceo posted:

quote:

The team has been digging into the PS5 hardware and the possibilities it unlocks since launch last year and we’re excited about what the future holds. This patch is just the first step of working on the PS5. We’ll let you know when we’ve got more news to share!

I read that as this is the last patch TLOU2 is gonna get, it was Naughty Dog's first experience with working on PS5, and they have more PS5-native stuff in the works. Factions :pray:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

That can't be good for cooling.

The gloss plastic finish is loving doomed

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol no factions after all? well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

my Simpsons santa Homer ones (celebrating halfmas)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

my Simpsons santa Homer ones (celebrating halfmas)

Nice! I have a vintage Homer mug from around the first season which is my fave coffee mug

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Bundles are in and out of stock at Gamestop right now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been 16 years since I played MGS 3 sorry

sounds like a personal issue

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I blame Konami

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Regarding TLOU2, I quit the first game about 1/3 of the way through. I really enjoyed the story and the acting, but the gameplay itself was very dull to me, and it also felt very linear. I never followed any of 2's development at all, and aside from hearing the news about leaks and chuds being angry about Elle being gay, I didn't really know or care about anything else regarding it. Still, a good friend convinced me to give it a whirl, especially now that I have a PS5, and I am certainly enjoying it a lot more than the first.

The stealth combat with human enemies is outstanding and probably the best I've ever played, which really surprised me. Fighting the infected isn't that inspiring, but it's perfectly fine, and I like the semi-open world aspect of the game. I tend to lose interest in games, but this one has kept me engaged, and I think having gone in with almost no knowledge of the game prior has helped to both temper my expectations and surprise me. Seeing tons of 1 star user reviews made me laugh, because it's so obvious that they're from the incel crowd, and most of them are just copy/pasted.

In closing, yeah, TLOU2 is a pretty cool game and I am enjoying it, and I would suggest people check it out if they are interested but didn't care for the first one.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Duck_King posted:

Regarding TLOU2, I quit the first game about 1/3 of the way through. I really enjoyed the story and the acting, but the gameplay itself was very dull to me, and it also felt very linear. I never followed any of 2's development at all, and aside from hearing the news about leaks and chuds being angry about Elle being gay, I didn't really know or care about anything else regarding it. Still, a good friend convinced me to give it a whirl, especially now that I have a PS5, and I am certainly enjoying it a lot more than the first.

The stealth combat with human enemies is outstanding and probably the best I've ever played, which really surprised me. Fighting the infected isn't that inspiring, but it's perfectly fine, and I like the semi-open world aspect of the game. I tend to lose interest in games, but this one has kept me engaged, and I think having gone in with almost no knowledge of the game prior has helped to both temper my expectations and surprise me. Seeing tons of 1 star user reviews made me laugh, because it's so obvious that they're from the incel crowd, and most of them are just copy/pasted.

In closing, yeah, TLOU2 is a pretty cool game and I am enjoying it, and I would suggest people check it out if they are interested but didn't care for the first one.

Sorry you're a chud now. I don't make the rules.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was gonna put it off but the DF video got me all worked up for a replay. TLOU2 owns so hard. Looking forward to playing more aggressively on a harder difficulty, goodness does the gameplay shine when you're under pressure.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dog looks like he's about to drop a Sonata

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't believe an MGS game would be silly

They were always silly, but they worked. Unlike the dumpster fires that are MGS4 and V

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

cvnvcnv posted:

it seems it's actually, "Actions Have Consequences, You Stupid Infant: A Patronizing Lesson" by Video Game Dweeb Man.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's pretty much what it is

Sakurazuka posted:

No because the gameplay is the worst thing about it and I wasn't a fan of the story much

ZeeBoi posted:

people hate it because it glorifies violence and druckmann is a tool and was inspired by the conflict in Israel, and for a subset of people it's also because a muscular woman killed Joel

:gas:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They were always silly, but they worked. Unlike the dumpster fires that are MGS4 and V

MGS4 is good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

MGS4 is good

This

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Virgin Druckmann vs. the Chad Kojima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still trying to figure out if the post claiming TLOU2 glorifies violence is a joke or not