Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

Spookies is garbage but it's fascinating garbage. If you're a lover of weird, esoteric poo poo like I am then you might love it. I bought it on a blind buy, watched it on edibles and loved it but was utterly confused by it. I can't even imagine sitting through it sober. I guess the question is if you buy movies that you think you'll actually "like" or if you like to own some things just for the novelty of owning them. If you lean towards the latter, Spookies is worth buying and watching, because I guarantee you'll never watch anything like it.

Exactly. To me the worst thing a movie can be is boring and Spookies is loving BORING. Fade to Black is good.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t it a movie first that UPN bought and recut with narration and talking heads? In college, one of my friends found the director’s website and he had the original for sale along with the McPherson Tape, explaining that it was different from what UPN broadcast.

The original is called The UFO Abduction which is what the blu-ray contains. It got the name "McPherson Tape" from being sold at conventions in ye olden days when poo poo like that was spread around by tape trading. UFO nerds actually believed it was real because who ever was circulating it cutout the title card at the beginning and the end credits. And I'm sure many people saw it copied from 5th generation tapes. The footage used in the UPN mockumentary was the original film remade. I have no idea if that version of the movie exists without the faux documentary interview bits. The version shown on UPN was also pretty hard to come by until someone posted it on youtube fairly recently. I'm a pedantic sperglord so I will only refer to the original film as The UFO Abduction. I only used that other title to make it clear what VS sells it as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

We need more UFO movies already. Maybe one starring Gary Busey where he slowly goes mad in his home and by the end of film he was really being scared and driven mad by a children’s lamp stuck on top of a pole miles away that at just the right angle he could see from his bedroom. Like a mix of Bug and Home Alone he’ll make traps to protect himself from UFO’s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The UFO movie ship has sailed because the 90’s are long over and now all the UFO cranks are 9/11 truthers, Q-Anons, and raging antisemites instead of Fox Mulder or Art Bell types.

Although Phoenix Forgotten came out a couple years ago and I thought it was a decent little found footage flick. It probably helped that it was based around an actual “sighting”.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Vast of Night was pretty decent.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Psychos in Love is great and I’m also going to recommend CHRISTMAS EVIL as always. I don’t know if it’s on your list or not, but buy one anyway. Or buy three or four, hand them out to friends and strangers.

Prosthelytize for Christmas Evil!

Christmas Evil was one of the first VinSyn releases I bought and I watch it at least twice a year, usually showing it to new people to convert them to the church of the magic panel van.

I also got my copy signed by John Waters at the last speaking tour he did.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

now all the UFO cranks are 9/11 truthers, Q-Anons, and raging antisemites instead of Fox Mulder or Art Bell types.

Maybe don't go back and revisit 90s C2CAM...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe don't go back and revisit 90s C2CAM...

Oh I know that element has always been there, I’m just saying it wasn’t at the forefront like it is now because UFO stuff was so mainstream in the 90’s thanks to shows like the X-Files and stuff like the Phoenix Lights.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The UFO movie ship has sailed because the 90’s are long over and now all the UFO cranks are 9/11 truthers, Q-Anons, and raging antisemites instead of Fox Mulder or Art Bell types.

they were then too we were just too young to connect the dots

this walken movie vinsyn is putting out looks dope shocked I haven’t heard of it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

John Romero posted:

they were then too we were just too young to connect the dots

this walken movie vinsyn is putting out looks dope shocked I haven’t heard of it

All-American Murder? I wish I could tell you about it, I wanted to watch it over the weekend, but the copy I got didn't play, so I just need to contact VinSyn for a replacement.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Deep Red UHD coming from Arrow.
https://twitter.com/KayG12824024/status/1391475635663560706

Glad I held off ever getting this on Blu-ray. All I have is the old Anchor Bay DVD. Day one purchase right there. LE, full bells and whistles edition. Bring it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My copy of The Good the Bad and the Ugly shipped today, so they must've restocked it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Still have never seen Deep Red. Maybe I will now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If it's under $25 I will definitely buy it and finally watch it.

I've almost seen it a couple times but wasn't sure which version it was and decided to hold out until I made sure I was doing it right.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With Deep Red you want to watch the version that's 2 hours long. The lesser version is like 15 minutes shorter, but the cuts are all scenes that are crucial to one of the best characters in the movie so it really ruins it imo.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Seconding that however you watch Deep Red, watch the longer cut.

I first saw it at the Barbican Centre with Goblin playing the soundtrack live, which I can also recommend. :v:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

feedmyleg posted:

If it's under $25 I will definitely buy it and finally watch it.
An Arrow 4K for under $25? :lmao:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

caligulamprey posted:

An Arrow 4K for under $25? :lmao:

A standard edition during a sale might get you close. I think I paid $28 for Crash.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Deep Red is a top tier giallo, maybe the best one ever made, so I would say if you have even a casual interest in that subgenre, you should pick it up. The UHD won't cost more than $40 if you get it from Diabolik. Or Amazon. They usually have Arrow UHDs at that price prior to release date.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I have the Deep Red blu-ray Arrow put out, and it's easily one of their best releases. They have an excellent 20ish minute visual essay on the film and it's themes, and where it fits in Argento's filmography, as well as it's place in the giallo canon.

This is an easy, no question upgrade for me.

That said, I'll probably be getting rid of my blu-ray, so that'll go to anyone that's interested in it and has a player that can play Region B.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ultraviolence123 posted:

The UHD won't cost more than $40

Some of us are cheapskates, thank you very much!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll probably upgrade to the Deep Red UHD as well, mostly because the copy I have is part of a relatively cheap Blue Underground set that I bought years ago. So spending a few more bucks to own it in the best possible format doesn't feel too painful.

I'd say Deep Red is either the best giallo of all time, or at least the second best. Only Bava's Blood and Black Lace may be better, but it's a tough call. Suspiria and Inferno are my favorite Argento films but they aren't giallo.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Basebf555 posted:

I'd say Deep Red is either the best giallo of all time, or at least the second best. Only Bava's Blood and Black Lace may be better, but it's a tough call. Suspiria and Inferno are my favorite Argento films but they aren't giallo.

I’m probably going to blind buy it since the horror goons have said that the full extended cut is the only way to watch it. My problem with the Argento I’ve watched is the lack of characterization and, from what everyone’s said, the cut scenes are essential character stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I sorta see the merits of the shorter cut, but I do think the longer cut of Deep Red is the way to go, Daria Nicolodi is so good and like half her scenes are gone in the short version. And it's the rare horror movie that's paced well enough that it still feels brisk at 2 hours.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd probably go Deep Red too but other best-giallo-ever contenders I'd throw out there:

Don't Torture a Duckling
The Perfume of the Lady in Black
The Black Belly of the Tarantula

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the reason Daria is so crucial to Deep Red is sort of what Lumbermouth touched on, the protagonist is sort of a blank slate and doesn't get a whole lot of characterization or development. Daria on the other hand is probably the most endearing character in any Argento film and if you watch the proper version with all of her scenes she will make you fall in love with her.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Anyone know if the Blu-ray of Duel to the Death on the HK sites is actually an HD transfer?

https://shop.panorama.com.hk/en/martial-arts/3695-duel-to-the-death-blu-ray-scheduled-release-date-mar.html

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Big Bizness posted:

Anyone know if the Blu-ray of Duel to the Death on the HK sites is actually an HD transfer?

https://shop.panorama.com.hk/en/martial-arts/3695-duel-to-the-death-blu-ray-scheduled-release-date-mar.html

According to this list at blu-ray.com's forum it is HD, yes. The reason why it still makes the list is because of a remixed soundtrack.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

just got the (presumably fixed, HDR) Akira 4K disc which is exciting, but the fact that i need to go back two formats to the Pioneer tin box dvd edition for the original japanese stereo track is less exciting

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If you didn’t support DiabolikDVD during their sale by buying Tremors 4K, it’s on sale for $28.10 on Amazon! BBY will match as well!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I have found it: the ugliest / weirdest steelbook. Only @ BestBuy (currently on sale for $29.99)

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 19, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ringu0 posted:

I have found it: the ugliest / weirdest steelbook. Only @ BestBuy

Lol. I’ve had this on my save list for months and it finally went on sale on Monday. I pounced on it. I just like that difference in opinion.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ringu0 posted:

I have found it: the ugliest / weirdest steelbook. Only @ BestBuy (currently on sale for $29.99)

Yeah I just jumped on this too, that cover is hilarious.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ringu0 posted:

The ugliest part of that cover is “An HBO A Five Part Series”

How did that slip through the design process

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that cover. It's always interesting to see different reactions to steelbook art.

Anyway I went into Best Buy yesterday because they've forced me to stop in like once a week due to the unpredictability of what random poo poo they may or may not have sitting in the back for months that they're arbitrarily going to decide to put on the shelf that day.

Scored one of those sweet Dredd steelbooks. Nice!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Tombs of the Blind Dead coming to Blu-ray with 3 cuts and 3 commentaries

Cool that they're releasing the "hybrid version" with the missing scenes. Also cool that it'll come with a metal tribute CD featuring one of my favorite bands Hooded Menace!

Not so cool: not on 4k :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gunna be a must buy for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh yea definitely, 4k or not I've been wanting Tombs of the Blind Dead in my collection for a while. I wish it was a complete set though, I want the whole series.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea definitely, 4k or not I've been wanting Tombs of the Blind Dead in my collection for a while. I wish it was a complete set though, I want the whole series.

Yeah, I would've liked it to be the complete film collection too. I still regret not buying the Blue Underground Blind Dead collection coffin box when I had the chance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, I would've liked it to be the complete film collection too. I still regret not buying the Blue Underground Blind Dead collection coffin box when I had the chance.

Don't even get me started on that, the "unavailable" listing is still up on Amazon mocking me every time I search for something vaguely Blind Dead related.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My Blind Dead DVD coffin set is still sitting proudly on my shelf :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I found that Blind Dead coffin box set once at a local thrift store but discovered it only had two of the movies in it. :mad: