Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

Iacen posted:

Any UK goons here?
I am wondering if there is a good and reasonable online retailer they can recommend in terms of price and assortment?
I have just bought a house with a garden, and looking forward to sitting outside during summer and having a quiet smoke.

Never used them for cigars but mysmokingshop.co.uk have been great for pipe tobacco and snuff, very quick delivery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Had my first tobacco with deer tongue in it today, C&D Crooner, and drat do I really like the smell of it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My friends I am, this very moment, smoking my first Gurkha since I was a teenager. I now wish I had not typed that.

Side note, smoking cigars in Wisconsin is apparently more expensive than Chicago.

This is the San Miguel Petite Corona. Weighing in at 4-1/4" x 42, it is right in the middle size-wise. I have no expectations from this cigar, except that it was recommended while my new cigar friend from Appleton, Rose, and I shot the breeze at the shop.

Fairly nondescript milk chocolate wrapper, no particular oiliness or dryness. The cap looks OK, it has a nice little pigtail on it. The foot smells well spiced, cedary, and even parts chocolate and leather at the very tail end.

Using a punch, the draw is wide open. Just enough restriction to remind you you're smoking. Lots of peach on the dry pull, faint fresh cracked black pepper.

The first couple puffs were substantially more powerful than I had anticipated. After a few puffs, it lightens up some. I'm having a hard time piecing together what it tastes like besides distinctly Nicaraguan. There's a fair amount of smoke from such a tiny stick. This reminds me of some General Cigar and AJ Fernandez smokes with the emulating-Cuban-mineral flavor.

It's very pleasant, becoming even milder towards the end of the first inch. And it didn't grow, change, or do anything else after. It got a little bitter.

I paid Wisconsin pricing, so what does it actually go for on them innernets? This cigar can be had for the low, low price of $9.50 for a single or $190 for a box of twenty.

gently caress. That. Do not recommend.

I'm gonna run some liquids over my palate and try the Hemingway Short Story. I know it'll at least be competent.

e: it was plugged and totally fell apart after running my PerfecDraw through it. Not my day.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 13, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Flor de las Antillas Maduro might be better than the original and that's saying something for me. Cheers goons!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Having a New Glarus Apple Ale and Curivari Buenaventura BV60.

I think, along with the LbO corojo lanceros, I might place these as "the cigar most like a cigar".

It's real light, real approachable. The flavors are identifiable, but not overpowering. Real inexpensive, and I think you can ask someone "would you want to try something spicier, stronger, mellower, lighter, etc?" And a newbie can get an idea of what more in any of those directions might be like.

I don't think I like them nearly as much as I do the LbO CoLa, but they're awfully hard not to enjoy. I'll have to get more of the cafe noir and Leon from them.

I also picked up a La Palina Double Digit on the recommendation of my new cigar shop friend, we'll see how that goes when I get to it. I may stop in there later this evening for a drink and a smoke.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just drank a Mai Tai and had a pipe of Sutliff matured red Virgina 515 rc-1. I miss McClelland 5100, but this is sooooo close.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is that sold matured or did you age it in the tin on your own at home?

The Partagas Short I'm having this morning is out of control. What a fabulous way to kick off my weekend just before I start camping.

11/10 Partagas Short, half day for work, and heading up to the camp I grew up at. Today's got it all!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm sitting in a cigar bar in beautiful Appleton, WI and having a My Father La Promesa. I had hoped it would be a little stronger, but it's a real good introductory MF cigar. I think I still prefer the DPG Blues.

I also have signed up for the Atlantic Cigar VIP pricing, and I'm gonna say it now: looks worth it.

A box of the Tatuaje Miami Noellas, which I already had bought at a good deal of $164 is now $152. The My Father Fonseca Cosacos go for $94 now. A 50 cab of Illusione Rothschildes goes for $178, and a toro box La Flor de Las Antillas goes for $94. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's worth it!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Whoa those are great prices. Prolly gonna pull the trigger.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NewFatMike posted:

Is that sold matured or did you age it in the tin on your own at home?

I buy it by the pound in bulk, and smoke it without aging.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

NewFatMike posted:

I also have signed up for the Atlantic Cigar VIP pricing, and I'm gonna say it now: looks worth it.

I might look into this; Gramps and I are at the point in our cigar-learning-journey that we're pinpointing the expensive poo poo we like instead of buying samplers and hoping for the best. I bet we can get value out of it between the two of us for sure :hmmyes:

e: is there a way to change membership that I'm not seeing? I'm on mobile but it doesn't seem obvious

ee: just kidding I see it at the bottom

Nexein fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 15, 2021

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Smoking some semois for the first time (Reserve du Patron) and this poo poo is fascinating. Presentation is pretty radically different being packed tight into a dry brick and it goes up like kindling as soon as you put a match to it. Despite that there's no harshness as long as you sip it, and a nice rich taste. Seems like it'll be a great summer smoke.

For you cigar folks smokingpipes.com has some semois cigars in stock right now too in addition to the usual pipe tobacco.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've poked around at some more of the Atlantic menu this morning, and it's looking extra good. From the home page, if you pick the deals or exclusives it's really good with the membership.

A lot of the pricing isn't quite as low as CA or Cigar Page, which is understandable, but the spread is a lot better if that makes sense. And you can buy whenever instead of waiting for things to come up.

The La Aurora Preferidos especially are at CA pricing, which is excellent - no need to worry about getting outbid.

There are some crazy good Tatuaje and My Father deals, but they aren't as deep for every line. They also have big packs of some of my favorite petite coronas - Cracker Crumbs by Surrogates and L'Atelier Travailleurs. Those aren't in a lot of places and it's $100 for a 50 cab each, so I'm planning on getting those again.

There are also Paul Garmirian cigars at under $10/ea which is insane.

They also offer a lot of 5 and 10 packs, so I may be going towards those rather than boxes which I get from a lot of bulk sites. Very big fan and I'm real psyched about this next order.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
I ended up buying in (to Atlantic) this morning based on that box of Fonseca alone; makes up for the membership but I need more degeneracy to hit free shipping...

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Las Calaveras 2017 and a RP Number 6, both were okay.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
My cousin gave me a bunch of EL/RE including the RA 898 regional so I need to get to some of those this week. I think the 898 is getting smoked first because the original 898 was a big favorite of mine.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Bastion of Sexual Anarchy
Poker night a few weeks ago was a success. As soon as we arrived the host handed out Jaeger shots, so I wound up passing on the BPC and just smoking an Oliva CT Churchill. Great smoke, but I don't really care for those giant sticks and somehow keep ending up with this smoke in this size, either in samplers or as gifts. Nice to play cards for almost three hours without needing a new cigar, though. I did not win any money, but I enjoyed the company, the smoke, and the drinks so that's a win in my book.

NewFatMike posted:

To quote a poet, "you're tacky and I hate you"

We're watching this movie fairly often with the kids lately, and every time I'm reminded that Jack Black is a national GD treasure, and that I'm low-key kinda in love with Joan Cusack.

DerekSmartymans posted:

I just wanted to smoke a Between the Lines in honor of FlyingLemur, well known for his love of Fuente products :vince:

:iceburn:

Whatever happened to our peg-legged penguin lover?

The Hemingway series are fantastic, and Short Stories are one of the only Fuentes I smoked regularly. The last few pages make me want to keep my eyes peeled for a Casa Cuba though!

I won yet another one of those Fireball drawings. Bought two spots for $30 total, and now I have a 2012 Cohiba Behike 52 headed my way. Probably gonna save it for my birthday next year. I'll be 35, the cigar will be 10, it seems appropriate. Also I'm loving stoked to get a cigar that retails for over $100 a stick for $30.

Hayden fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 20, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh drat I gotta pay you for a lucky ticket!

I've been going way overboard with my cigars lately, so I'm sticking with pipes for at least a few days. Looking forward to putting in a larger order for some sticks when I'm back from vacation, though!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
I have so much pipe tobacco but did that stop me from buying a box of Fonsecas, and a fistful of Aladinos, Tatuajes and southern draws from atlantic?

No.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:yeshaha:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah live that sicko life.

I'm smoking a CAO Flathead Carb right now, and it's really hitting the spot for "big, heavy-duty cigar to smoke when it's cold out". Also, I was over at my buddies' place yesterday and they had all sorts of poo poo in their humidor that I'm out of. I was starting to feel like it was time to start thinking about another order, but I forgot that I've been trading stuff out and giving stuff away, and I also smoke a bit more than them. I'm gonna just buy back some of the stuff I split from them so that we're back at parity and then I can push back making another order until maybe late June, early July. Sometimes it's important to reign in one's degeneracy :smith:

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Smoking some semois for the first time (Reserve du Patron) and this poo poo is fascinating. Presentation is pretty radically different being packed tight into a dry brick and it goes up like kindling as soon as you put a match to it. Despite that there's no harshness as long as you sip it, and a nice rich taste. Seems like it'll be a great summer smoke.

For you cigar folks smokingpipes.com has some semois cigars in stock right now too in addition to the usual pipe tobacco.

I'm dying to try semois but I have so much tobacco I still haven't smoked

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
I had a R&J ex 4 last night as part of that sampler I got. I was pretty impressed with it and I’ll snag a 5er of more so I can see if I want to commit to a box/split at some point.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just popped in an order for Boswell tobaccos - not sure who recommended them, but I'm looking forward to it. Also eyeing down a really massive pipe so I can dump these chemicals in more efficiently :v:

I got some Kirkland blended Canadian whisky yesterday, and that's quite pleasant. I'm not familiar with Canadian whiskies, but it comes highly recommended and it's cheap as hell. I'm looking forward to making some cocktails with it!

Looking forward to camping for 4-5 days starting this weekend. I'm extra glad I'm smoking my pipes because now that it's been a few days, this Papa Frita is banging.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
My Atlantic order landed today, I had one of these Aladino CTs last summer when we were more of cigar noobs so looking forward to how that holds up.

While we have pipe dudes in the thread, are there standout recommends for picking out good pipes? I got a cheap Chinese pipe as a gift when I mentioned I wanted to start but it's no good. I was thinking of getting a vintage savinelli or something off etsy that I'll like using all the time, but if anyone has reccs, I'd take em.

Nexein fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 21, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I use Smoking Pipes pipe locator to figure things out. I got a variety of fairly affordable pipes with different characteristics to figure out what I like.

First, I determined that I like pipes with filters. I tried 6mm and 9mm pipes and tried balsa and activated carbon filters. I found that I generally prefer the activated carbon filters.

From there, I'm working on bowl geometry. I'm preferring wider bowls, so that's where I'm going next on them.

Additionally, I generally enjoy pipes under 6" in length because I like the warmth. This can be compensated for with bowl geometry in many cases.

I've tried a few shapes, and I don't think outside of bowl and length shapes being impacted that I particularly prefer certain formats. It's feeling a little more mood-based than performance.

All these things can be filtered for with the Pipe Locator, so I'm being a bit more methodical about it. From there, I guess you can find pipes anywhere that fit the criteria you want to try.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

big boi posted:

I'm dying to try semois but I have so much tobacco I still haven't smoked

If you are a fan of burley in any way, do yourself a favor and grab some semois. It's both fantastic and unique for the genre.

Thanks for tipping me off on Chatham Manor a little while back by the way! I got some and it's a good premium version of the codger blends I'm fond of. It's weird though, Chatham Manor is undeniable better tobacco than Carter Hall, but I don't think I like it quite as much? Something about Carter Hall sticks with me better even though it's more of a Bud to Chatham Manor's craft beer. Unfortunately Carter Hall is sold out drat near everywhere that ships to Canada, I need to get a tub of it when it's back in stock as I'm nearly out of the pouch I started with last year.

NewFatMike posted:

Just popped in an order for Boswell tobaccos - not sure who recommended them, but I'm looking forward to it. Also eyeing down a really massive pipe so I can dump these chemicals in more efficiently :v:

I got some Kirkland blended Canadian whisky yesterday, and that's quite pleasant. I'm not familiar with Canadian whiskies, but it comes highly recommended and it's cheap as hell. I'm looking forward to making some cocktails with it!

Looking forward to camping for 4-5 days starting this weekend. I'm extra glad I'm smoking my pipes because now that it's been a few days, this Papa Frita is banging.

Hell yeah, I've been a big fan of the Boswell stuff I got. They all smell utterly fantastic in the bag, head and shoulders above any other aromatic I have tried. The room note is nice enough my partner has actually specifically asked me to smoke them inside, which, well, that doesn't happen. Unfortunately the smell doesn't translate much to taste, but that's par for the course with most aromatics.

Nexein posted:

While we have pipe dudes in the thread, are there standout recommends for picking out good pipes? I got a cheap Chinese pipe as a gift when I mentioned I wanted to start but it's no good. I was thinking of getting a vintage savinelli or something off etsy that I'll like using all the time, but if anyone has reccs, I'd take em.

I keep buying Missouri Meerschaum cobs - basically add one on to every tobacco order I make at this point. They're like $7, smoke fantastically well, and are just worry-free in general.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I had an order come in today of controversial pipe tobaccos: Captain Bob's Blend, Sutliff Mix #79, and my first lakelands aromatic (G&H Brown Flake). Holy poo poo was it hilarious to receive, the package itself REEKED of grape+perfume even before I opened it. Just tried the #79 and I actually quite liked it, has random bursts of flavor that ranges from licorice to root beer to several things I couldn't identify. Kinda surprised it has such a bad rap.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh poo poo that sounds great, I'm a massive fan of Malört, fernets, Campari, all that. I'm putting in for that asap

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Smoking a I dunno how many years old Siglo VI to celebrate winning our housing case

Flavor is fantastic, vitola... it’s not my fave.

honestly even the aroma of it idly smoking in the tray is innnnncredible. Chop this up and burn it in a censer or something, yum

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 22, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly, I've been veering back towards enjoying somewhat larger vitolas lately. I think it's just that it has to be something that you know you like, and you know you'll continue to like for the whole smoke. A 6 x 52 toro of a meh cigar is a real bummer, but if it's a well-aged favorite I feel like it's perfect.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Sitting on the front porch with a coffee reaping the benefits of Nexein's degeneracy. My Father Fonseca is holy poo poo good. Absolutely exemplary construction and smoke output, and it tastes like nothing else I can recall. Black pepper and veggie crackers at light up gives way to creamy coffee and baking spice as it progresses. I'm picking out a new detail after every draw almost. The Garcias have done it again, no surprise there. I didn't think I could pick a favorite brand, but MF keeps making their case stronger every time I have one of their sticks. You guys need to try these.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

If you are a fan of burley in any way, do yourself a favor and grab some semois. It's both fantastic and unique for the genre.

Thanks for tipping me off on Chatham Manor a little while back by the way! I got some and it's a good premium version of the codger blends I'm fond of. It's weird though, Chatham Manor is undeniable better tobacco than Carter Hall, but I don't think I like it quite as much? Something about Carter Hall sticks with me better even though it's more of a Bud to Chatham Manor's craft beer. Unfortunately Carter Hall is sold out drat near everywhere that ships to Canada, I need to get a tub of it when it's back in stock as I'm nearly out of the pouch I started with last year.

Glad you liked it! Yeah supposedly Prince Albert is getting back in stock after people started hoarding it due to some spurious discontinuation rumors, so hopefully Carter Hall is the same.

I know I'm going to buy some semois soon, just a matter of time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had heard that drying out pipe tobacco was A Thing, but it felt like a thing that was not really necessary. I did it on accident and it's a real big deal. I gotta figure out how to dry all the tobacco I've got.

Camping is nice, and I installed my first humidor expansion drawer before I left. By the time I get back, it should be up to humidity and I'll have found out if something in there has ruined all my smokes :v:

The top drawer is the new one.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

I had heard that drying out pipe tobacco was A Thing, but it felt like a thing that was not really necessary. I did it on accident and it's a real big deal. I gotta figure out how to dry all the tobacco I've got.

Dry it out on a per-bowl basis. Like cigars, dry tobacco will eventually be useless as there will be no flavor.

quote:

Camping is nice, and I installed my first humidor expansion drawer before I left. By the time I get back, it should be up to humidity and I'll have found out if something in there has ruined all my smokes :v:

The top drawer is the new one.

The new one looks like regular cedar. Which would not be great.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've heard mixed opinions from some folks, so I'm just testing on that rack for now. I'm probably going to order some Spanish cedar veneers to get on there, but the base is still the Spanish cedar it came with, so at least it's only touching the Spanish.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Just scored Nexein and I tickets for the Drew Estate Barnsmoker event coming up in August. I am insanely excited and we'll be sure to take lots of photos and probably brag about whatever we end up scoring.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Smoked some nice sticks recently.

I'm fully on board the My Father mainline train - I smoked a few a year ago when I bought a five pack sampler but I think I was too new to appreciate them, they were far too spicy for me. Now, I smoked the last two, and they blew me away. I kinda want a box of them now, but we'll see.

I also went on vacation and smoked a Curivari Cafe Noir, a Opus X robusto, and a Flor De Las Antilles - three favorites I've had before, but no less enjoyable for that, and an aged to hell Southern Draw Firethorn.

Lastly, I just finished smoking an Illusiione 888 a few minutes ago, and holy poo poo. I'd tried the Illusione 68 before, which is the same blend but in petit corona, and it was nice, but again, holy poo poo that smoke benefits from the extra length the Churchill size has. I'm super hyped to try the Illusione Prive Lancero H-Town edition that's custom made for one of my local shops.

I think next up is going to be my long awaited Rose of Sharon toro - I've had it resting for a couple weeks now since it arrives - part of me wants to light it up this week, and another part wants to burn through some of my other resting sticks to give the Rose of Sharon a solid 4-6 week rest to really let it shine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yo this Boswell Northwoods is great. It hits all my buttons for Presbyterian mixture, but is readily available and I can get a big rear end jar's worth if I want. Extremely pleased with this.

I'm really excited to try the Berry Cobbler and Spice & Nice that I ordered as well.

E: all three of these are super winners. The Northwoods has a great sweet undertone that's just out of this world. It reminds me of caramel.

Spice & Nice I think is a majority Cavendish, really great overall. Simple profile, but quite satisfying.

The Berry Cobbler is great. It starts really sweet and turns rather spicy, probably the most dramatic flavor turn I've encountered in pipe tobacco so far.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm at Up Down for the foreseeable, I'll be posting periodic updates