Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Invisible Clergy posted:

A chandak is an orcish social caste analogous to a shaman. They commune with nature and have some degree of control/empathy with the land to learn when rain or drought is coming and can communicate with plants and grasses, do rain dances to summon storms, etc.

Ah okay so I guess dead flower guy put the tiny remaining bit of his life force into the flower, and El Seed was able to do some magic bullshit to put it back into corpsemom's body, it wasn't enough life force to give her back the memories but it did give her the ability to speak again. I guess.

Which it's probably a good thing it didn't give back the memories because for dead flower guy to suddenly have a woman's body would cause some issues that Mookie I would never trust Mookie to handle well even if there was dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I liked "magni-scrying glass", but my brain is trash and I live on the internet

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Beelzebufo posted:

Bad fantasy writing. You don't just introduced extremely specific magical things without explaining a little first. What is the "Essence of Maltak" and why do undead "aberrations" hate it? Why is she defined as an abberation, and what other things fall under that category? How do they even know all this if siren vines are native to the wild edge, which doesn't appear to be anywhere near Maltak?

Aberrations are a D&D creature type.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Mors Rattus posted:

Aberrations are a D&D creature type.

ah. of course it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'aha I didnt say anything about not having monologues in the comic!'

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah I have no idea how this information is supposed to be presented. Is it someone talking, is it being read out of a book, is it a character’s inner monologue? The panel before did not indicate to me clearly what is happening.

Just write the goddamn dialogue, Mookie.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Man...you know, I don't really mind when comics re-use artwork. Most everyone does it now and again to save time, but whenever Mookie does it it's like he's just wasting it. Whole pages are built out of re-used artwork and since he can't progress the story with them it's often just useless information we don't need or already know. It's feels more like a lazy writer padding out their page count.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"Even in a habitat as chaotic as the Wild Edge, an uncontrolled mutation can devastate the environment around it."

The vine infects precisely one cabin before being easily dispatched by its own creation

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sometimes, the basic concepts here are neat enough that I want to like them.

A magical, mind-controlling, intelligent plant that makes a cloned plant-human when it reproduces, which then wanders into a new human settlement, and finds a good place to plant itself, tended to by its thralls while it grows into its adult form, which can easily take over a neighbourhood? That's cool. That's threatening and weird and spooky. You could do some neat things with a plant clone being deceptive about her true desire to find a suitable place to take root while making nice with people she'll turn into thralls when the time is right. You could explore trying to reason with such a bizarre and inhuman creature. You could have a flawed clone not know what she is and then have to deal with that. But Mookie won't loving do anything with these set pieces, because he's allergic to putting real stakes in his stories.

I hate wasted potential.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He thinks making the vine "necromantic" is enough to make it interesting.

But yeah. The stakes are that this is a thing that might have happened if they didn't easily stop it before it had a chance to even begin to threaten anyone.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, Luna empowered the very land of Maltak itself with life magic to cure it of it’s curse (at the cost of her childbearing :rolleyes:), so it kind of stands to reason that undead would at least get riled up by a place abundant in their magical antithesis.

That is correct. Her remaining eggs were scooped out by that one dragon ghost thing and given to childless couples throughout the kingdom to become the next generation of Deegans. I dread Mookie coming to revisit this eventually in Legacy.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Invisible Clergy posted:

That is correct. Her remaining eggs were scooped out by that one dragon ghost thing and given to childless couples throughout the kingdom to become the next generation of Deegans. I dread Mookie coming to revisit this eventually in Legacy.

This is incredibly unpleasant to read

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bismuth posted:

Dominic Deegan: This is incredibly unpleasant to read

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Bismuth posted:

This is where the infamous 'they'll be their real children' line came from right? One of the few times he's gone back and edited the comic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pyrotoad posted:

This is where the infamous 'they'll be their real children' line came from right? One of the few times he's gone back and edited the comic.

Wait...

Mookie can feel shame?!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

He probably got a lot of messages from fans saying that implying that the kids of people who have IVF/sperm donations/etc. aren't their real kids is kind of messed up.

He's resistant to change or even reconsider things like Stonewater the heroic rapist because it's a thing he thought about and created and thinks his ideas are good, so no matter how many messages he got about that he wasn't going to change anything. But a throwaway line he just kind of put in the comic without thinking about it that upset some people, yeah, he seems capable of going "Whoops my bad" and editing it.

But yeah we've already seen him changing things in this comic, likely in response to criticism like how the Ink Witch was treating Snout. He didn't go back and edit things but it was clear he was bothered by how people were interpreting her and was trying to fix it (even though he failed).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The fact that he chose to re-use the puke panel specifically is the funniest poo poo. It's so bad! Drawing it like that was bad in the first place, why would you choose to re-use it afterwards!

oriongates posted:

Oh my, having snout's super-strong, potentially violent companion suddenly transported to a land whose very essence is repulsive and poisonous to her sounds like the sort of thing that could be an actual plot. Especially if it drives her to attack one of the allies of Snout's friends, potentially forcing him to face issues of conflicted loyalty.

Oh...that was resolved in a matter of two pages? In a way that had no consequence or meaning? Shocking.

Well, at least the idea of a whole new lineage of magic users native to the Wild Edge, a place inherently hostile to other magic users, sounds like it might be a worthwhile plotline. Mongrelmen are clearly disrespected, but the idea that they might be coming into their own as a new magical power has a lot of potential for plot.

Oh...that guy never had a name and died 50 pages ago? And the characters have already left the wild edge and show no inclination of ever returning? How unfortunate.

Yeah, there's the inklings (heh) of interesting plot threads in the exposition. But... they have either already been resolved or rendered irrelevant. And that's putting aside the fact that they're being presented to us in this lovely format that downplays them to begin with. Maybe mookie will be brave enough to do something with corpsewife being a threat to Maltak but I seriously doubt it. Both for his track record in resolving tension instantly and because he seems to be too insecure about Legacy and reception to it to take risks and break said convention.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

oriongates posted:

Well, at least the idea of a whole new lineage of magic users native to the Wild Edge, a place inherently hostile to other magic users, sounds like it might be a worthwhile plotline. Mongrelmen are clearly disrespected, but the idea that they might be coming into their own as a new magical power has a lot of potential for plot.

If I cared I'd be asking "Hey, why is magic superfund site suddenly getting shamen? Does it have something to do with the Heart of Magic moving closer to it?" In the hands of a competent writer, the implications would be serious but Mookie will ultimately disappoint.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Pyrotoad posted:

Yeah. He used to make small, inconsequential unannounced edits pretty often (changing a word he misspelled, erasing an extra line on someone's shoulder) as evidenced in the old mock threads, but it was indeed rare for him to change actual content of dialogue/narration. He does it at least one other time I can recall, but I'll wait for us to get there.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah. He used to make small, inconsequential unannounced edits pretty often (changing a word he misspelled, erasing an extra line on someone's shoulder) as evidenced in the old mock threads, but it was indeed rare for him to change actual content of dialogue/narration. He does it at least one other time I can recall, but I'll wait for us to get there.

Didn't he edit Stunts line about slitting his mother's nasty throat to something less aggressive?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I don't see how it's commensalism, that implies no harm is done. Snout's more of a parasite.

But also lol Mookie, way to both be way out there in terms of what I expect, and also exactly on the nose with explaining your themes.

There's also something incredibly cringy about the way Mookie is focusing on Snout's disability at this point in the story. This is the most hamfisted children's book about how deaf people are just as capable as hearing people ever.

Final thought, I like that this orc is apparently some sort of biologist. Given his obvious years of expertise in a field, it should be no surprise that he will be the villain of this arc.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Image thinking that being put-upon is a compelling character trait.

It speaks volumes as to the kind of sadsack his target audience is.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I like how mookie was too lazy to actually write anything or even scribble on the pages in Snout's hands to imply writing. Snout is just making a weird face at a stack of blank pages.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, why the gently caress is he even giving Snout the pages to read if he thinks so poorly of him? Like, the implication is there that he’d be surprised to find out that Snout’s literate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol why would he bother writing anything about Snout at all? Then it's just a bunch of stuff to give him to insult him for no reason.

Just blatantly trying to make readers feel bad for Snout and hate the other guy

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Oh that is excellent :allears:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Didn't he edit Stunts line about slitting his mother's nasty throat to something less aggressive?

Yep.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I mean, other than being deafmute, Snout doesn't seem to have any particular issues? He seems like a reasonably average humanoid. Also he was living alone at the start of the comic and didn't seem to know mongreltown existed? This seems like an odd assessment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zereth posted:

I mean, other than being deafmute, Snout doesn't seem to have any particular issues? He seems like a reasonably average humanoid. Also he was living alone at the start of the comic and didn't seem to know mongreltown existed? This seems like an odd assessment.

Well, he is undeniably an idiot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Samovar posted:

Well, he is undeniably an idiot.
:hmmyes:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

This loving comic has more words than it did when it had dialog.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
These giant stacks of unbound pages are driving me insane. What do the rest of those pages contain? That's a full manuscript amount of pages. One slip and they're all on the floor, never to be organized again.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Riot Bus posted:

These giant stacks of unbound pages are driving me insane. What do the rest of those pages contain? That's a full manuscript amount of pages. One slip and they're all on the floor, never to be organized again.

By the looks of the comic they're all blank

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Everybody calls her the Ink Witch. Even this dude, I guess, was introduced to her as "The Ink Witch" .

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel like this is a reaction to someone pointing out how ableist this comic is. “Nuh uh, I’ll show you what ableism is by putting in an evil ableist.”

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why the gently caress does he even care enough about Snout to write this many words about him? It's so pointless and has nothing to do with anything. It's just another page intended to make us love Snout and hate this guy even more.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

It's kind of hilarious when he says "hurt by something more vicious than my words."

...because he's only insulted Snout once, in a language Snout doesn't speak. Whatever it was was harsh enough to waste two pages on the ink witch yelling at beard-orc, but no translation was ever provided! Now, beard orc has physically manhandled snout in several ways that have not been addressed or explained (that thing where he grabbed snout by the face was particularly weird...was he somehow diagnosing snout's deafness by looking into his ear? WTF?), but his words have never hurt him.

EDIT: But also, why the gently caress is he writing a field report about Snout? When did he have time to make an evaluation of snout's physical abilities and personality? I certainly can't imagine Ink Witch or Arudak giving him some kind of book report on Snout before all of this, and there's been no indication that he's given snout a physical exam or even asked him any questions at all. How does he know Snout isn't particularly strong or tough? Or that he has no aptitude for magic? He wasn't introduced as a magic user himself, only highly educated, so presumably he doesn't have the ability to just look at Snout and evaluate him the way Ink witch and Arudak do to corpsey.

And for that matter, the one notable thing we've seen Snout do point to a fair amount of physical prowess, winning a fairly straightforward fight with the Skori tree (noted as being the most lethal plant in the wild edge...whose plant life includes giant laser flowers). Even with the loony tunes logic of the main fight, we do see Snout physically shredding the things roots with brute strength...even if they're only as tough as something like vines, ripping a thick vine in half is a loving impressive feat of strength. And, as far as toughness, it's hard to tell with the slapstick but we see him do things like tank blasts from laser flowers or survive falls of what is probably 20+ feet with no sign of injury. As well as taking a hit from Mhorg and corpsey, who can demonstrably shatter stone with her bare fists. He didn't even pass out or suffer any broken bones when she clocked him in the jaw.

Even without all that, given his ability to survive alone in the Wild Edge for what we must assume is 18+ years (hopefully, given his naked cuddles with the ink witch), I honestly don't see how anyone could just come to the conclusion that Snout is somehow completely helpless and unremarkable without some kind of actual verification. What is beard orc expecting, for snout to just rip someone's head off in the 15 minutes they've known one another? What information is he using to draw these conclusions?

For that matter, what danger is Snout supposedly being protected from? Beard-orc is suggesting returning him to the Wild Edge, a place that regularly tries to kill Snout, because being here is too dangerous? This place with...libraries, fishermen and restaurants...What danger is there in Maltek that Snout needs to be ushered away from? There's no actual established conflict. There's no war, no conspiracy. No monsters. The only danger ink witch was fleeing at the start of the comic was Arudak and they're friends now! There's not even any indication that Mhorg or Redactor are going to be ongoing antagonists (Diagetically at least. We know that's the plan because they're literally the only 'bad' guys we've seen).

Hell, the only danger in Maltek so far is a danger that Snout brought with him, from the wild edge. where the vines aren't even the most dangerous plants.

And who is this report being written for? The wording indicates that it's intended as some kind of proposal to a third party like Ink Witch or Arudak...but Snout gets to read it first? Why? WHY?

oriongates fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 21, 2021

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Lol, he's us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Imagine reading a comic, turning the page and being confronted with this spread.