Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Kingdom's Edge is one of two areas I haven't been to at all yet, so I've got that to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well congrats on finally discovering Kingdom's Edge.

now perhaps there are other low corners that you should investigate

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i know im ahead due to the patreon but since it already happened for the love of god if something looks empty and you're checking the floor quit dashing all over the place.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also given how much you've allowed Nat to walk past, Tea, your protest that you didn't point Nat into the big hopper just to see him get killed is a damnable lie.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Don’t listen to Tea, Nat, I never unequipped the compass except when optimising my charm loadout for very specific situations like boss fights I’d already died on multiple times. And I regret nothing. :colbert:

(I also can’t navigate for poo poo, so you’re not alone there either.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

pumpinglemma posted:

Don’t listen to Tea, Nat, I never unequipped the compass except when optimising my charm loadout for very specific situations like boss fights I’d already died on multiple times. And I regret nothing. :colbert:

:same:

On this second playthrough I could navigate without it if I had to, but the cognitive effort of using a map isn't worth it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

pumpinglemma posted:

It's especially hilarious because the reason Tea wants Nat to remove the compass is so he has room for Gathering Swarm, which betrays any sense that he is trying to encourage Nat to take off the training wheels.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That secret passage from King's Station out to Kingdom's Edge was one of the very few things in this game that I was spoiled on. I'm glad I wasn't the only one going crazy by how close Nat got to discovering it on his own the first time!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro posted:

That secret passage from King's Station out to Kingdom's Edge was one of the very few things in this game that I was spoiled on. I'm glad I wasn't the only one going crazy by how close Nat got to discovering it on his own the first time!

In retrospect I should record my offscreen work and just cut stuff like that into a quick highlight before the next set of episodes air. Because I was pretty surprised.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Natural 20 posted:

In retrospect I should record my offscreen work and just cut stuff like that into a quick highlight before the next set of episodes air. Because I was pretty surprised.

This is an excellent idea. Do it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Yes please!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Natural 20 posted:

Please! There are a lot of things we want to see you discover and if you stumble on any of them offscreen that would be sad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

was I the only one quietly hoping Nat would sequence break into Hornet 2?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tea I'm 99% sure this area was in the 1.0 release of the game, so I'm not sure that I understand your comment wondering how Nat will enjoy the DLC areas. In fact, without giving too much away, the content updates for this game did very little to add new areas to the map, and they were primarily about putting more stuff into the geography that was already there.

Also Nat I'm begging you, please use your map pins.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
This is the Hollow Knight I had in my heart. #DarkSouls

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just clicked this so fast

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Good work. You probably should at least try the Trial of the Conqueror, despite this comment not meaning anything. The final trial is more of a postgame concern. Keep it up though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Only a true fool would continue fighting in the colosseum!

Pretty good showing, only one death on your first try. Even for the "easy" challenge that's a good run.

It looks to me like you're letting your soul meter sit at full a lot more than you were early on. Are the more intense enemies getting into your head, trying to maximise your heal potential? Or are your spells just starting to lag behind the power curve and don't feel worth it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tenebrais posted:

Pretty good showing, only one death on your first try. Even for the "easy" challenge that's a good run.

It looks to me like you're letting your soul meter sit at full a lot more than you were early on. Are the more intense enemies getting into your head, trying to maximise your heal potential? Or are your spells just starting to lag behind the power curve and don't feel worth it?

Well maybe if Tea was as meticulous as making sure Nat got barely missed upgrades as he was at directing him into deathtraps, Nat would be able to play the game the way he was most comfortable. :colbert::colbert::colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais posted:

A little bit of the second. I've upgraded my nail twice. Which I *think* means it has a damage of 2. The Hadoken has a damage of 3, which makes it a much less enticing option relative to just bashing things with the nail and healing than it did when the ratio was 1 to 3.

But also because I just feel more relaxed playing so I'm not optimising my play between bosses as hard any more.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Spoiler warning but probably something you might be able to infer based on what you've seen: The Hadouken will get an upgrade too like the dive move did. Might feel worth using again at that point.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

You should use the crystal dash more often on those long hallways - it’s not just a tool for going over pits, it’s really fast at backtracking as well. You should also remember that you can pogo off spikes even in combat situations. :)

The Colosseum actually isn’t DLC, it’s been in the game since launch. I know you’ve already recorded by now, but the second challenge is a) harder than the first and b) entirely doable for you at this point, so I’d say go for it. The third challenge… I’d really like to see you try it once or twice to see how far you get, but I wouldn’t recommend seriously trying to beat it yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pumpinglemma posted:

You should use the crystal dash more often on those long hallways - it’s not just a tool for going over pits, it’s really fast at backtracking as well.

You can continuously crystal dash from the elevator shaft right into the Colosseum. It's one of my favorite routes to take mostly because all the bats try futilely to explode you.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I cannot wait to see your backtracking videos. In my head, your to-do list is an absolute nightmare.

Also, fun fact/easter egg about the Colosseum: if you've encountered a certain NPC enough times in the wild, they show up as a bonus boss in that first Trial! And no, it's not Tiso.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 18, 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i know im ahead but

he loving did it, he put enough in the bank!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

C-Euro posted:

I cannot wait to see your backtracking videos. In my head, your to-do list is an absolute nightmare.

Also, fun fact/easter egg about the Colosseum: if you've encountered a certain NPC enough times in the wild, they show up as a bonus boss in that first Trial! And no, it's not Tiso.

I forget how this works, has Tea been looked out of the Grey Prince fight now?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

fractalairduct posted:

No, but I doubt he'll unlock it on his own.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fractalairduct posted:

Nope, but obviously that fight is elsewhere even if it's unlocked by the same chain of events.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

Zote can only die the first time you encounter him, if you ignore the vengefly king fight for a period of time. Nat rescued Zote so the Grey Prince is still open. However, Nat would have to rescue Bretta, go save Zote in Deepnest, then redo the first trial of fool. Nat is absolutely not going to do all of that naturally.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Marluxia posted:

Nat is absolutely not going to do all of that naturally.

But would he do it un-Nat-turally? :dadjoke:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You mean ar-Tea-ficially?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Marluxia posted:

Zote can only die the first time you encounter him, if you ignore the vengefly king fight for a period of time. Nat rescued Zote so the Grey Prince is still open. However, Nat would have to rescue Bretta, go save Zote in Deepnest, then redo the first trial of fool. Nat is absolutely not going to do all of that naturally.

I don't know if I'm surprised or not that Nat has completely avoided Deepnest. While it definitely has a lot of ":catstare: NOPE!" energy, in my experience and in playthroughs I've watched you usually get pretty far stuck in before you really want to back out (and by then you've fallen down that big drop - so you can't just retrace your steps)

Also, who wants to take bets on whether or not Nat notices the first Nosk teaser?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Cloth :unsmith: I'm glad you found that event because it's technically missable!

And yeah, real good atmosphere here too with the complete silence.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how I heckled it up, but I missed Cloth entirely on my playthrough. As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

As someone that ragged on Tea in the Spoiler tags, I want to say that I appreciated that he reminded Nat of the Elegant Key.

So, good news: It's time to advanced the plot :toot:

Bad news: Cloth is now doomed :smith:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Since there's a delay on these videos, how's the cat and why haven't we seen pictures of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
By the way, has Nat realized that you don't lose Geowhile dying since you collect it back from the ghost?