Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cross postiong

echinopsis posted:

if/when I get this synth I need a new USB interface that has two inputs. I have a Komplete or something that has 1 input (it used to also have a mic interface but I broke that lol).

And I would quite happily get the Komplete that has 2 inputs.

Unless of course one of you keyboard touchers has some other recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a focusrite and it's needs suiting

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i have the boringer umc1820. it has more ins and outs than you will ever need and say what you will about the brand, it gives me all the ins and outs i need at 0.6 ms latency all day long

the little umc0404 looks nice on the scale down

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I have the first revision of the UMC0204 which doesn't reliably work in samplerates above 44.1, Behringer tried putting out multiple firmware updates to fix it, gave up, removed the SKU and released the UMC0204HD :mad:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mixer boards have usb also

i have a big ol zed 14, could probably have gone with the 10 and had plenty

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
my xr18 is extremely needs suiting. gj Uli

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I made this while reading about the buttcoins crashing. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/laughing-at-cryptocurrencies

edit: I found a sample that I just had to add to it...

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 22, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

mixer boards have usb also

i have a big ol zed 14, could probably have gone with the 10 and had plenty

this sounds good but also well in excess of my needs or budget. that said I’ve never looked at one so now I will

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also in other news

the amp setup in guitar rig I found most successful for chug has the firebreather amp with a tube screamer in the front. the tube screamer seems essential for chug in a way that amp settings alone don’t cut it. isolated the tube screamer is applying hardly any breakup but is a decent signal boost

anyway I wondered what if I used the gratifier amp in just the same way, as a gain stage before the amp, and set the gratifier to mostly signal boost but also a touch of breakup - which is a much more aesthethetically pleasing breakup than the tube screamer - and the results are as follows :

it’s good

if this was real life it’d be nice and funny that I’m using a dual rectifier purely for its clean channel and purely to drive another amp

getting a good chug sound now. i’m starting to see that there is no universal chug sound.. but what I have stumbled upon is defo acceptable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

if this was real life it’d be nice and funny that I’m using a dual rectifier purely for its clean channel and purely to drive another amp

meet the tri axis

they're siiiick

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
daaaamn

I have a mega love for mesa-boogie. none of it because of ever having used the gear and all of it because I’ve bought into the hype. used to spend hours and hours looking at the site and reading reviews

always wanted a mark iv. looked like it could make any sound in the universe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i always wanted the rack nerd setup with a tri axis and

the power amp that god himself created just. for. me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the photo shoot on the grip plate lol

I probably never will but standing in front of a dual rectifer* and full cabs and playing with no volume restriction is defo bucket list territory

*my understanding is that these amps were named after the fact they had tube rectifiers, but it was interesting to note that almost no one used this feature and had it switched to solid state rectifiers.. I believe if you had it on tube that there would be “sag” in the sound and that this could be influenced by how much input signal you gave it ie by playing differently.. but I have no idea what “sag” means in this context or what it would sound like.

I think it was coincidental that these were high gain amps which defined heavy music in the 90s which had nothing to do with using tube rectifiers except rectifer is kind of a cool word.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its basically the same effect that EVH had. you get more compression and a thicker sound because you're running an amp off a power supply that gets strained a little bit on signal peaks.

EVH stumbled across it accidentally; he wanted to play a marshall stack in small clubs but it was too god damned loud. so he put it on a variac and ran his amp around 90v input instead of 120. this caused it to be roughly half power, but the power supply for the tubes was now out of spec and the whole thing sounded different.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat

his 5150 looks interesting. interesting path

in other news I got a hydrasynth

fucfkkkk me it’s big and god drat solid. a few ppl have commented that it’s the most solid synth they’ve owned and I can believe it.

so far just enjoying the built in patches with poly afterouc. god it sounds P H fat lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it weighs almost exactly 10kg/22lbs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so the hydrasynth

it can make some nice sounds drat. and physically its solid as gently caress.

poly afterouch,.. idk how I will come back from it. its good. and this thing sounds big.

but drat I am poo poo at making sounds in it. it feels like almost any sound is possible but I am incompetent.
but having fun.

because I fantasise about using it live while playin my axe, I am standing at it playing a note while also playing a note on the guitar. plenty of delay and I reallu sound like someone else.

I think I am goinna save up for an electric drum kit. I want there to be instruments to play in my house for my kids and step kids. smash out some sick riffs on a guitar. playing some dirty af basslines on synth. then smash out some drums. practicality > a real drum kit

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4pfzT

Mucking around in drop c with wonky time sigs. It's somewhere between Resident Evil movie soundtrack and periphery but not as good as either lol

Edit: Residjent Evil

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 24, 2021

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

NonzeroCircle posted:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/4pfzT

Mucking around in drop c with wonky time sigs. It's somewhere between Resident Evil movie soundtrack and periphery but not as good as either lol

Edit: Residjent Evil

i like it tho, def worth developing even if i can't parse the time signature in my simple 4/4 mind

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
trying out some simple dawless stuff with my homemade synth, Here is a pretty repetitive acid thingy. It's just the one synth a volca beats with the snare sound modded and a memory man delay pedal.

https://soundcloud.com/void-star-1/frog-tech

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Zaxxon posted:

trying out some simple dawless stuff with my homemade synth, Here is a pretty repetitive acid thingy. It's just the one synth a volca beats with the snare sound modded and a memory man delay pedal.

I like it. :awesome: It makes me want to step away from my computer and hit the "on" button for my hardware setup.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Zaxxon posted:

:yosnice:

yospos acid crew

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
i haven't done a lot of originals lately but have been doing a bunch of mixing and remixing for friends/clients and also remixing for fun for myself so here's the latest thing i did (D&Bifying old NIN)

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/nin-closer-rbm-remix

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
a cacophony courtesy of Supercell and the new Metropolix sequencer which is loving awesome (the thing driving the tune, shown at start)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTRBIp_W5_M

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I've been playing piano for a few years and have recently been wanting a way to create my own backing tracks I can riff over. after some googling, I'm pretty confused about what my options are

ideally I'd like something where it's easy to create a simple loop and iterate on it. a standalone device feels like a better fit than software just because I don't have a dedicated computer for this and I'd prefer as little setup as possible each time. I'm open to changing my mind on this if software options are better

equipment wise at the moment I have a pretty nice digital piano (kawai es8). it was chosen to mimic an acoustic piano as closely as possible - even though I think it has built in tools to record and loop it has a limited set of sounds built in

any suggestions?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a free daw sounds like the thing to use. get some free drums and stuff and go wild. once you've set it up, it's open file, hit play. the complicated part is laying down the drums and stuff.

other options include just downloading some mp3s for this purpose. they won't be custom ones you made, but does that matter?

check out pocket operators and see if they'd do what you want. i'm guessing not but 🤷‍♀️ if you're ok looking 2 bars at a time and chaining for anything larger i guess they'll meet your needs

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Asleep Style posted:

any suggestions?

The easiest is to just pull up a backing track on YouTube. There are many to choose from.

Another option is to use a program like iReal pro on your phone. This would let you download a ton of chord progressions or input your own. It generates a backing track based on the parameters you set.

Next level are looper pedals. Mainly designed for guitarists, it serves the same function. You press the button, play, press again, then it loops. The TC Electronic ditto looper is a popular and cheap choice. The challenge is how to plug it in your system since I imagine you're using the internal speakers. If you can take the audio output, run it through the pedal, and then run the signal through the auxiliary input, it might work.

Software options are near endless. Getting a DAW let's you have control over every aspect of the recording. This does not sound like what you want, but it is it's own fun and learning how to record things is a bigger learning curve.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Asleep Style posted:

I've been playing piano for a few years and have recently been wanting a way to create my own backing tracks I can riff over. after some googling, I'm pretty confused about what my options are

ideally I'd like something where it's easy to create a simple loop and iterate on it. a standalone device feels like a better fit than software just because I don't have a dedicated computer for this and I'd prefer as little setup as possible each time. I'm open to changing my mind on this if software options are better

equipment wise at the moment I have a pretty nice digital piano (kawai es8). it was chosen to mimic an acoustic piano as closely as possible - even though I think it has built in tools to record and loop it has a limited set of sounds built in

any suggestions?

just try out some free looper apps on the phone maybe?

here's one that supports a lot of stuff, from recording your phone microphone to built in sounds from the app if you want drums or something https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/endlesss-multiplayer-music/id1439811325

should be available on android too

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

expanded the digi drumset today. was kind of a journey. i agnoized over how to get more stuff on it over the last couple weeks, especially because i am on summer vacation and wanted something i could use NOW but it seemed like that might not happen so instantaneously... but i finally solved it, today. and all it took was (a reasonable amount of) money and a nice drive. my wishlist was of the following
- ride crown
- cowbell
:end of list:

ok so i really only need two things, not infinite expandability. that should help narrow it down and probably keep me happily satisfied for another... gently caress, its been 15 months since i ordered this thing. i got it in april of lockdown as a birthday gift.

anyway, i thought about maybe i want more cymbals in the future though, and started looking at how to get another trigger controller and triggers. the controller was easy to find, theres one for like $169. good midi cymbals at a reasonable price are harder though.

i was thinking about making my own midi triggers using peizo mics and an arduino - it seemed like a pretty simple weekend project.

BUT, it seemed that keeping my search inside the amazon marketplace was actually a hindrance to solving my problem. magically, there is an expnasion bundle for my specific alesis kit (probably beacuse its like the first mass prduced one or something, they are defintiely trying something out with it because its everywhere and its good quality for the price). So after trying to look for just a generic midi cymbal, or generic midi cowbell on amazon i switched to google, and that came up with sweetwater and guitar center products that are like only unique to those two sellers. i could not find this on amazon (good, gently caress em).

so i got to go on a drive and visit a guitar center for the first time in like 10 years

interestingly... nothing online mentions this, but both the cymbal and the tom can send an extra midi signal. the cymbal has choke which is an aftertouch msg, and the tom is dual zone, you can hit the rim. so, this expansion actually gives you 4 extra midi notes to send. i only saw one mention of this in some random review on guitar center's site. sure enough, when i got there in person, the back of the box mentions it. but no online literature does.suprisingly, the cymbal is a choke enabled cymbal, which means it also can send an after touch signal, so thats 4 midi signals
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/Nitro-Mesh-Expansion-Pack-1500000330816.gc?cntry=us&source=4SOS0DRBA

i also got a nice comfy throne for my rear end. ready to sit in this for hours

i got it all mounted and wired up, so now im going to program the daw to use the new stuff. probably going to screen cast it to twitch just cut its fun and also documentation in case i forget how to do this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
electronic drums have always fascinated me. i have no percussion chops so i avoid diving into that pool but i am following with great interest.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As long as you don't expect electronic drums to feel like real drums they are cool. The snares/toms aren't so bad but I struggle without a kick pad and especially the unmoving cymbals.

Someone I used to support had an Alesis Ion drumkit and a huge set of powered PA speakers to go with it.

He broke it (sheared off half the pieces) because he beat the poo poo out of it one day

"why'd you do that bud? That was silly"
"I wanted it to be louder because I'm angry about *whatever*"
"Why didn't you just turn up the monitors?"
"... Oh yeah. Whoops."

My main gripe was the 808 kick sounded sick but it was the same "Rap Kick Hi" from the SR16 and you couldn't tune it so it tickled your nips rather than rumbled your tum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
likely a repost but this reminded me that i need to get back into Renoise instead of video games

http://www.kc4ylv.online/the%20fifth%20(145%20BPM)_1.mp3

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

speaking about drums, i use a yamaha dtx12m with a lovely kick pedal and an ok hat pedal and it's almost barely needs suiting. i dont have a good chair and neither do i have a good stand for this kit, so that may be a thing to do

its been since late october and i really want to pound some real skins and cymbals

weekly jam session streams are a hoot though, check out this glitchy one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6mjiZqfJ4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea there's two big things to keep in mind with a Digi set
- play lightly, which you should already be doing anyway because just like playing any instrument when you tense up and start playing too hard you're actually playing poorly. So stay light and to stay light you got to stay loose and to stay loose you got to stay in control so it reinforces good playing habits by encouraging you to not tense up, otherwise you break the loving thing
-You only have as much variety as the sounds you attach to it and because it is a digital process there is a lag, so it won't be instantaneous, and physically/spatially things need to lay out differently, but you can get it so close that your visceral brain barely even notices it (I've been getting hosed up all day practicing it and it's more and more feeling natural, I see that to highlight that it's a friction point that you will easily adapt to pretty quickly), so keep in mind that there is a computer in between, and understand that it's a bit of a different experience and you go in with the right expectations of "this isn't supposed to be exactly the same experience as beef"

For example, the ride crown is its own sound from a ride, and because I don't have a dual zone cymbal it means I just dedicate my 4th cymbal to the ride crown sound. Good enough

It's like when you eat a tofu burger or something - you don't go into it expecting a burger experience cuz if you do that you're loving moron and you're going to be disappointed. But a tofu burger can be pretty good if it's prepared the right way

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 9, 2021

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I originally got a Launchpad pro and also a keyboard with pads on it because I thought I could do most of my percussion on there, but then I realized what I actually wanted was to feel like I was playing drums and a big part of that is the feeling of the kick drum being on your foot rather than a finger. The pads are good in a pinch for when I don't want to leave the keyboard but when I want to play drums I want to play drums, it's an experience.

I originally started out with putting one of my keyboards on the floor and I had a spare acoustic kick pedal and I would just rig that up to hit a specific note on the keyboard and then I would play with my fingers on the launch pad and a foot on the pedal, whacking away at a keyboard

At that point I realized maybe it's time to look into how much an electronic jumps that actually cost....

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://twitch.tv/videos/1050885791?t=737s
still having some buffer underruns at times but it works pretty good to have fun with!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SvSrt7HCNs
I love my new sequencer (Intellijel Metropolix)

It's five steps synced to 16 beats, the first step goes up a tone every loop, and the second and third steps go up and down a tone or two respectively per ratchet, but keeping to some sort of phrygian scale. I've not plugged in modulations for changing the root or scale yet but I'm gonna

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i have yet again been busy in the EDM mine, toiling away at making "dance music"

this one is derivative of rezz (one of the best to ever do it)

https://soundcloud.com/midnightheir/dork-electro/s-jqLphuQ4nfc

and this one is more house-like i think i possted it before but it was incomplete:

https://soundcloud.com/midnightheir/1997-or-die-11/s-UkoskX6CQCw

i am welcoming submissions for titles for either (but im pretty ok with "1997 or Die")

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

click here if you like some chill psych stoner rock https://soundcloud.com/trent-hawkins/lagoon-city-x-trent-hawkins-16-20210629-weekly-audiovisual-livestream-tuesday-830pm-cet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'll try any way.

A few years ago I bought an MPC 2000 XL for dirt cheap from a friend. I practiced on it for a long time but never got the hang of it, even after buying tutorial DVDs and e-books on it. I tried my friend's Ensoniq ASR-10 for like an hour and instantly got the hang of it. So I surmised that pads just don't click with my brain well, and the keyboard interface does for whatever reason. I never bought the Ensoniq ASR-10 because it's still stupidly expensive, it uses floppy disks only, and they supposedly have a lot of mechanical issues (especially with the LCD screen).

Anyway that was like 3 years ago and I kind of just forgot about it. About a month ago I put my oldest kid in piano lessons. Now I need to buy a "real" piano with 88 keys. We don't have room for a "real" piano (as in, an analog one that needs to be tuned by a piano tuner) so I am trying to settle on a digital one. It gave me the idea that if I am going to buy one anyway, I should also buy one that has some sort of "sampling" element to it. Meaning I can feed it a random noise (like let's just say my dog barking) and I can play a song with dog barking sounds instead of piano key sounds or something like that.

Is there anything like that out there that anyone here can recommend? It has to be a piano first, and a "sampler" second (I don't even know if sampler is the right word) so I would want it to be full-sized with weighted keys that's practically as good as a real analog piano. I read some good stuff about the Yamaha MODX8 but that's a few years old and I didn't know if there was anything better or newer.

Edit: I somehow forgot to mention I'll also begin taking piano lessons next week as I figured it would be a great way to bond with my kids and show an interest in their interests. Also so I can play Kefka's theme whenever I want.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 2, 2021