Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh, the old Attorney General's dad gave him a job as a high school teacher. I got 'em mixed. Too many hosed up people to keep straight

He probably wasn't lying, they would have asked the CIA, they were vetting the cabinet, and they still gave him the job

To clarify, this seems to be a second- or third-hand quote (it comes via this Daily Beast story), and it doesn't specify who told Acosta to back off, or even what intelligence agency they claimed Epstein belonged to.

The Peccadillo posted:

Also I don't think you need to be a triple agent to be involved with those three outfits, they are pretty chummy

The KGB and MI6 definitely were not chummy.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Discourse changed, but when it came time to actually go through with changing reality, the movement was smothered. It's good that it helped you, but don't get angry at me for pointing out how it was thrown under the loving bus.
Instances of the movement's hypocrisy or self-contradiction doesn't mean the movement was "killed". Nobody questions the movement is flawed, but it quite obviously has changed some lives and cancelled some predators, and it continues to do so.

And yes, powerful people find it easier to get away with misdeeds, no poo poo. Nobody disagrees that's a bad loving thing. Get out of here with this pedantic, strawman crap.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Silver2195 posted:

To clarify, this seems to be a second- or third-hand quote (if comes via this Daily Beast story), and it doesn't specify who told Acosta to back off, or even what intelligence agency was involved.

Well it probably wasn't this one

Man there are a lot of American espionage agencies

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Instances of the movement's hypocrisy or self-contradiction doesn't mean the movement was "killed". Nobody questions the movement is flawed, but it quite obviously has changed some lives and cancelled some predators, and it continues to do so.

And yes, powerful people find it easier to get away with misdeeds, no poo poo. Nobody disagrees that's a bad loving thing. Get out of here with this pedantic, strawman crap.
There isn't even hypocrisy or contradiction. It's just that a group in power briefly found it useful and then did their best to squash it. All the hypocritical people weren't victims but victimizers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

When every single DNC-aligned news outlet and also every single liberal celebrity booster associated with the MeToo movement suddenly aligns at once to directly ignore the rhetoric and beliefs they'd been espousing for years to call a rape victim a liar, russian asset, and con artist on national television for the crime of being raped by the democratic frontrunner, then yes, that is "the DNC trying to kill MeToo," and if you are unwilling to accept that then you need to do some serious self reflection on how you interface with politics.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The arguments on the last page seem to be along the lines of “the democrats didn’t kill metoo because it’s not that easy to actually kill an idea” than an endorsement that their behaviour was cool and good though.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The KGB and MI6 definitely were not chummy.

Apart from all the MI6 guys who were double agents and defected.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

MonsieurChoc posted:

but don't get angry at me for pointing out how it was thrown under the loving bus.

I haven't gotten irritated at most people arguing your point, but it's irritating when people post "sniff sniff" poo poo about other posters based on almost nothing. If that was not your intention, I apologize.

massive spider posted:

The arguments on the last page seem to be along the lines of “the democrats didn’t kill metoo because it’s not that easy to actually kill an idea” than an endorsement that their behaviour was cool and good though.

Pretty much this. Yeah, the DNC 100% dropped MeToo and "Believe Women" once a big name was accused and it was no longer useful to them. They 100% wanted it to go away. But I never believed MeToo was going to negatively affect people like Biden anyways. Also, I didn't really believe it was about making sure all abusers are punished.

And if MeToo didn't work, why's my Castlevania getting cancelled =(. (I wanna be clear Ellis deserves to lose the show).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I thought this was an interesting article that touches on the tooic of the trade as portrayed in some classic films.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1395189162605748225

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That’s a really good, nuanced article. Thanks for posting.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought this was an interesting article that touches on the tooic of the trade as portrayed in some classic films.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1395189162605748225

Reminds me of this:

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If MeToo hadn't been a good thing, I wouldn't be angry at what happened to it.

:smith:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watched the Breakfast club for the first time a couple of years ago and I loving HATED Judd Nelson's character

Glad to see I wasnt alone in thinking he was loving skeevy with Ringwald.

I straight up dont think thats a good movie.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

MonsieurChoc posted:

If MeToo hadn't been a good thing, I wouldn't be angry at what happened to it.

:smith:

<3

Shageletic posted:

Watched the Breakfast club for the first time a couple of years ago and I loving HATED Judd Nelson's character

Glad to see I wasnt alone in thinking he was loving skeevy with Ringwald.

I straight up dont think thats a good movie.

I was never one of those people super into the Breakfast Club, and it's been at least a decade since I've watched it. I know I enjoyed the movie then, but yeah, I loathed Nelson's character. I wonder how I'd feel about the movie now.

It's interesting how Molly feels about what happened to her character in Breakfast Club, and how the actress in 16 Candles feels about what happened to her character. It's been 4 years since that article came out. I wonder if her thoughts have changed.

Lmao I forgot about the troops in Iraq line. The only thing worse than sharing a movie with someone and them not reacting to anything, is sharing a movie that aged extremely poorly. Edit to add: An ex's friend watched Ninja Scroll with his mom. He hadn't seen the movie before and hoo boy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catapede posted:

It's interesting how Molly feels about what happened to her character in Breakfast Club, and how the actress in 16 Candles feels about what happened to her character. It's been 4 years since that article came out. I wonder if her thoughts have changed.

It's the same actress.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's the same actress.

Pretty sure he's referring to the other actress from 16 Candles that Ringwald contacted - the one who played the drunk college GF that got 'traded' for underwear

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

It's the same actress.

No, it isn't.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't really think Bender is meant to be a model for how you're supposed to act, like he's a delinquent from an abusive home and everything he does is built on that. He isn't even sympathetic until we hear about his home life and see how the principal treats him.

I mean, I don't like that he basically ends up dating Molly Ringwald's character in the end because it kind of sends a bad message. But I think what Hughes was going for was a redemption arc. Like Bender has been a huge piece of poo poo for a long time but maybe he'll turn himself around now instead of turning into his dad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

KitConstantine posted:

Pretty sure he's referring to the other actress from 16 Candles that Ringwald contacted - the one who played the drunk college GF that got 'traded' for underwear

Ah, I just remembered a similar article from Molly Ringwald talking about rewatching 16 candles a few years back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

King Vidiot posted:

I don't really think Bender is meant to be a model for how you're supposed to act, like he's a delinquent from an abusive home and everything he does is built on that. He isn't even sympathetic until we hear about his home life and see how the principal treats him.

I mean, I don't like that he basically ends up dating Molly Ringwald's character in the end because it kind of sends a bad message. But I think what Hughes was going for was a redemption arc. Like Bender has been a huge piece of poo poo for a long time but maybe he'll turn himself around now instead of turning into his dad.

Okay, am I the only one who immediately could only think Futurama?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I agree. I think it's the fact that he ends up with Ringwald's character without much reflection? that makes it so annoying to me. But again, it's been ages since I've watched it, so I can't comment much.

Skwirl posted:

Ah, I just remembered a similar article from Molly Ringwald talking about rewatching 16 candles a few years back.

It might be the same article. This one is actually from 2018.

And yeah, I meant the other actress haha. I was on my phone, and too lazy to click on the article again to get her name.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bender's 40% Nelson.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

BENDER SHOULD NOT BE ON TELEVISION IN CINEMA

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1395683403161391106

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Marlows posted:

This thread is indistinguishable from Q-Anon.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1395887790412423172?s=20

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think that means they falsified records to say they were watching him when they actually weren't

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think that means they falsified records to say they were watching him when they actually weren't

Can't imagine why.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Guards last seen speeding off in what appeared to be a motorized jacuzzi filled entirely with diamonds and cocaine

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The deal is that they don’t talk and won’t commit suicide too

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

For an extremely high profile billionaire who tried to "kill himself" once already.

Weird, huh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alan Smithee posted:

The deal is that they don’t talk and won’t commit suicide too

It's a pretty good deal if you can get it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/tonyortega94/status/1395837567967264770?s=21

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1394759555792261122?s=21

What a smug little punk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wow. that would be a gross post even if she was an uber driver and he wasnt in court for rape

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Even if he was going to a school

Probably worse if that

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I got into an argument once that metoo was going too far, and the case this person picked was how Masterson was accused and everyone immediately believed. This was after it came out that, yeah, this poo poo had happened and there was enough to go to court.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That lady has the saddest eyes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shageletic posted:

That lady has the saddest eyes

Mrs Robinson eyes

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowman_McK posted:

I got into an argument once that metoo was going too far, and the case this person picked was how Masterson was accused and everyone immediately believed. This was after it came out that, yeah, this poo poo had happened and there was enough to go to court.

I’m not gonna say that every single Scientologist is a bad person but you can almost guarantee when they start to circle the wagons around someone and put their defenses up that person is probably guilty as poo poo. Rich Scientologists are made to believe by the church that there are no consequences for their actions even beyond the usual rich person poo poo because they have a billion dollar entity ready to commit all sorts of crimes to keep their names out of the mud. One of the victims’ husbands came out and said that after coming forward with these accusations their dogs were poisoned, which is not the first time I’ve heard of Scientologists going after pets to try and send a message.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Scientology is a cult that actively aids and abets sexual abuse to an extent that hard core Catholics would be like "Holy poo poo, that's hosed up"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Scientology also literally infiltrated the US government over years to co-opt authorities and destroy evidence of their crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Scientology is a cult that encouraged it's members to eat asbestos. There's no depth to which they haven't or won't sink.