Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

Were people really that upset and surprised by Ellie having a homosexual scene? It was blatantly hinted at in the first previews of the game.

Yep, they were furious. A lot of people tried to say “well in Left Behind she was young and just experimenting!!!!!” because y’know they’re homophobic dumbshits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I honestly felt that TLOU 2 kinda boring and disappointing honestly. TLOU was my game of the generation but 2 just never really got close to that high mark for me.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 20, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Yep, they were furious. A lot of people tried to say “well in Left Behind she was young and just experimenting!!!!!” because y’know they’re homophobic dumbshits

It paled in comparison to people's reaction to Abby's scene though.

That said, Abby's sex scene almost felt intentionally designed to bait chuds lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

veni veni veni posted:

That’s not a critique though. You don’t need a good reason not to like something or to not want to play it. Which is good, because you don’t seem to have one.

Lol wtf veni you just cant help yourself can you

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

veni veni veni posted:

It paled in comparison to people's reaction to Abby's scene though.

That said, Abby's sex scene almost felt intentionally designed to bait chuds lol

Hah. I never thought of it like that but that’s definitely true. I just couldn’t believe it was Joel she hooked up with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Lol wtf veni you just cant help yourself can you

That seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hah. I never thought of it like that but that’s definitely true. I just couldn’t believe it was Joel she hooked up with.

Yeah I don't think anyone was expecting Joel to have such nice tits.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

That seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

Hey I was actually trying to recuse myself from this conversation until I was told I wasn't allowed to dislike tlou2

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol no you weren't

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Hey I was actually trying to recuse myself from this conversation until I was told I wasn't allowed to dislike tlou2

I must have missed that post?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was much more interested in the relationship between Ellie and Dina and the relationship between Abby and Owen than any of the revenge narratives

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

While both are poor at navigating relationships, some might argue that Ellie is a little bit less of a knuckle dragged than Abby.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In the end the ultimate winner of TLOU2 was Dina. tbh

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

I must have missed that post?

Okay I am allowed to dislike TLOU2 but I am a stupid idiot moron who is wrong for doing so

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Okay I am allowed to dislike TLOU2 but I am a stupid idiot moron who is wrong for doing so

I can’t be bothered to go back and look but I feel like you’re taking posts that were about the people who actually have bad/dumb reasons for disliking TLOU2 and assuming they were also referring to you, even though you haven’t played it? Like if you don’t care about TLOU2 that’s fine, you do bring it up a bit too much but whatever, it still doesn’t make you an idiot. It’s all your other opinions that do that!!!!!!!!! har har har

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

What if you just don't like the characters and don't want to spend time with them?

fridge corn posted:

fridge corn posted:

look, you're a great goon, so much love, but for someone who's recently smashed through noted controversial videogame sekiro you sure do sound like a defenseless loser when you post -constantly- about this other game you'll never play. what's the deal? what is the point in continuing to ram into this forum's collective skull your particular non-opinion of this game you haven't played and won't play month after month? do you see how lame that might come across to people who like talking about it? :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah I’m aware. I agree with what someone said following your post, that it’s an interesting experience to draw from, and taking this central idea of the cycle of hate and cycle of violence and using video games (like the largest most consumed form of entertainment now) to explore it is a good idea. And Druckman actually succeeded at it, as well, which is commendable. My biggest issue has never been with his artistic endeavor. My issue is rather with gaming community culture in general. It’s both no fault of the developer, and no surprise at all, that as soon as the developer came out in an interview and talked about this being their motivation for the gruesomeness of TLOU2, that a small dark corner of gaming community suddenly got very big and loud and bright and made a huge gross deal out of it. On the opposite side, and what my post was trollishly trying to mock, was the people who glorify the gruesomeness and violence in the game by repeatedly stating, “it’s based on the I/P clashes of the past, it’s that dark!” Which is equally disturbing to me. To me it’s not a selling point, it’s a hard truth.

He did a number of very unconventional things in TLOU2, from a gay couple and gay,female main character, to an antagonist that’s both female and not typically “female looking” (like how many female villains often fall back on the sex appeal of the whole thing, really..), to a major supporting character being Jewish, to killing a dog, to a whole bunch of other things. I’m playing Mass Effect 2 right now and wow, talk about a contrast. Literally none of the diversity options occur unless the player explicitly chooses for them to occur, which is the ecological safe zone most games have existed in for 20 years now. TLOU2 should have been a time for people to commend ND and Druckman and say about drat time and let’s make sure future games make a solid trend out of this. Instead we get crazy amounts of pushback and antagonistic behavior from the community that all but tells developers and investors that doing it again is a risky bet. TV has made slow but steady strides in changing the viewing audience’s collective mind about what’s acceptable (I can’t believe I’m using that word but think about TV history over the last 30 years for a second), and really we should be doing the exact same thing with video games. They are, after all, the most popular form of digital media now.

I’m sorry this post got out of control and I began to ramble.

But games should be fun to play. TLOU2 is mostly that, mostly. If someone hasn’t played it but is interested, I say play it. Get on this loving wagon.

:hai: I appreciate you writing this out

Kirios posted:

I honestly sounds TLOU 2 kinda boring and disappointing honestly. TLOU was my game of the generation but 2 just never really got close to that high mark for me.

2LOU is a better game and story than TLOU. End of sentence. End of paragraph.

The 2LOU package currently does not, however, include Factions.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least Pablo tries to make a meme of his GoW hate, even though it doesn’t stop it from being annoying and I think he’s overestimated how much enjoyment others get out of it. But he’s still a great goon and so are you fridge!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's just funny that you haven't given a single actual reason why you dislike it other than "I don't like it", haven't played the second one, but have strong opinions on it, and are expecting people to honestly engage and debate you about it. It's like a Tucker Carlson Voltron of bad fridge corn posts.

If you don't like it that's fine, but if you have absolutely nothing to say about it either who cares lol.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I skipped tons of pages since I have not played all of TLOU or any of TLOUII. Hopefully I have not missed anything amazing. The Lies of P trailer looked really good.

If the TLOUII stuff is still going I will see you all later!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I never played TLOU2 because I never finished TLOU1. It was just, fine as far as shooty bang bang went and Im not really a stealth person at all in my games so when I got force spotted after trying I lost steam. I don't even remember where I stopped playing, a sniper?

I meant to get back to it and then just... didn't. Story should be real good for tv, not that Ill watch that either but Its the right fit!

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Lies of P looks like American McGee’s Pinocchio. I hope it’s a formative experience for a burgeoning edgy 12 year old like Alice was for me.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
TLOU was an okayish game with, with dated gameplay even at the time but a good ending. TLOU2 was pretty much great from start to finish and chud baiting was just extra spice.

Someone in either this thread or the PS4 thread mentioned Timesplitters coming back, so I will end the TLOU derail by saying I hated timesplitters and it sucked and shouldn't be coming back and you'll all regret that it does.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

look, you're a great goon, so much love, but for someone who's recently smashed through noted controversial videogame sekiro you sure do sound like a defenseless loser when you post -constantly- about this other game you'll never play. what's the deal? what is the point in continuing to ram into this forum's collective skull your particular non-opinion of this game you haven't played and won't play month after month? do you see how lame that might come across to people who like talking about it? :shrug:

I was staying out of the conversation until i decided to offer a rebuttal to veni's poorly worded post and after that trying to get them to explain why it wasnt okay to not like TLOU2. I wasnt trying to jam my non-opinion down every other posters throats (this time) but seriously trying to understand why I apparently am not allowed to have this opinion at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Timesplitters was... interesting. Thats how I'd describe it. A lot of content and stuff but a very low QoL feeling to it all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barudak posted:

Timesplitters was... interesting. Thats how I'd describe it. A lot of content and stuff but a very low QoL feeling to it all.

Great soundtrack. Absurd shotgun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

corn, i'll have it that you the opinion-havingest in my opinion

caught fridge-ing a pure maiden post every 12 hours on average

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

I was staying out of the conversation until i decided to offer a rebuttal to veni's poorly worded post and after that trying to get them to explain why it wasnt okay to not like TLOU2. I wasnt trying to jam my non-opinion down every other posters throats (this time) but seriously trying to understand why I apparently am not allowed to have this opinion at all.

You replied to a post about reasons why people don’t like TLOU2, a game you haven’t played, by saying you didn’t like the characters in the previous game. You actively said you don’t like a game you haven’t played because of another game. How is this difficult for you? You didn’t say “I have no interest in TLOU2”, which is valid and acceptable. You said “I don’t like TLOU2”.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Hey and I don't like hearing about TLOU2 - it's a fuckin year old! PUT IT IN A MUSEUM

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

You replied to a post about reasons why people don’t like TLOU2, a game you haven’t played, by saying you didn’t like the characters in the previous game. You actively said you don’t like a game you haven’t played because of another game. How is this difficult for you? You didn’t say “I have no interest in TLOU2”, which is valid and acceptable. You said “I don’t like TLOU2”.

Do I have to have played hentai games to know I dont like them?

I don't think theres meaningful difference between "having no interest" and "not liking" since I feel having no interest is a result of not liking. Otherwise I think this is starting to get a bit pedantic and we'll have to start defining terms

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

corn, i'll have it that you the opinion-havingest in my opinion

caught fridge-ing a pure maiden post every 12 hours on average

The only other reason I inserted myself in this discussion is cuz I'm off work today feeling a bit poorly from my covid jab yesterday and I figured I'd :justpost: but maybe I should have gone to work after all!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aidan_702 posted:

Hey and I don't like hearing about TLOU2 - it's a fuckin year old! PUT IT IN A MUSEUM

So do you, Dr. Jones!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Do I have to have played hentai games to know I dont like them?

I don't think theres meaningful difference between "having no interest" and "not liking" since I feel having no interest is a result of not liking. Otherwise I think this is starting to get a bit pedantic and we'll have to start defining terms

Well, yes, terms have definitions, and it is important to use the correct ones. Personally I think conflating disliking with lack of interest is like, objectively not how those terms work? I see what you were trying to go for now, but veni was talking about a different thing to you, which is why you got the reaction you did.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have no idea why there is an argument about TLOU2 because I have skipped so many post and have glossed over the last few a little but I think perhaps TLOU2 should not be discussed here because it is a PS4 game and this is the PS5 thread???

Seriously though, I know it is a contentious game. I have no idea why. I know nothing about it whatsoever. I know nothing about any part of the story or gameplay other than it comes after TLOU which I have played partially and will be starting in a few weeks (after TLG and DeS)

I cannot moderate the argument because my frame of reference is nothing, but I can request that we go easier on each other. None of us made TLOU2 so no one here is responsible for anything inside the game.

People not wanting to play it have valid reasons I believe, no matter what they are or how they conflict with you reasons for liking and playing the game.

Please remember this.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg you’re not getting the argument, dw about it. Also TLOU2 literally just got a PS5 patch which is why the conversation started.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't see how you can think you have an opinion about the relative worth of a story or characterisation of people within it if you've not actually played or otherwise experienced it. Worthwhile or not, you literally don't have an opinion. Do you have an opinion of the first game that's informed your decision to not play the second? Sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

fridge corn posted:

The only other reason I inserted myself in this discussion is cuz I'm off work today feeling a bit poorly from my covid jab yesterday and I figured I'd :justpost: but maybe I should have gone to work after all!!

congrats on the jab, feel better yo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

but I can request that we go easier on each other.

This is fair.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo I missed the jab bit, nice!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akuma posted:

I don't see how you can think you have an opinion about the relative worth of a story or characterisation of people within it if you've not actually played or otherwise experienced it. Worthwhile or not, you literally don't have an opinion. Do you have an opinion of the first game that's informed your decision to not play the second? Sure.

People constantly have options about stuff they've never played in this and many other games threads lol